test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ahwahnee build.. not sure where to go with it.

vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
one tac console screams EPG but there isn't a sec def. maybe try to make a summoner build? no pilot so I don't know if you can equip the Eagle console for a torp boat. this one has me scratching my head.
Spock.jpg

Comments

• Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited February 25
    Its a Carrier so its best built around boosting pet damage. Its one of the top platforms for pet damage builds. Fit 7 Hangar Craft Power consoles. Then fill the Sci and Tac with the Carrier universal consoles. Then fill the starships and personal traits with as many Carrier traits as you can. I could screenshot my build later on if you like?

Its also a energy weapon boat as Engineer slots are better then tactical slots for energy weapons. Though its limited by 3/3 weapons.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    I'd appreciate it. something I'm finding is getting traits is no picnic
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    I'd appreciate it. something I'm finding is getting traits is no picnic
    This is a theme build so you might want to change the pets and weapon system. I also have a Quantum and Tricobalt version.

Borg_Control_Themed_Carrier.jpg?ex=65ef4864&is=65dcd364&hm=34c972d700932590bb7bb93229e1bf714afc4aad874c1dff4f747e14b0161f4d&=&format=webp

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/912277981072871434/1211736324885839912/Borg_Control_Themed_Carrier.jpg?ex=65ef4864&is=65dcd364&hm=34c972d700932590bb7bb93229e1bf714afc4aad874c1dff4f747e14b0161f4d&=&format=webp
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    What is the starship trait next to the gravity well?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    questerius wrote: »
    Its the new flagship trait that comes on this ship https://stowiki.net/wiki/Trait:_Flagship_Staffing
  • Options
    edited February 28
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Its the new flagship trait that comes on this ship https://stowiki.net/wiki/Trait:_Flagship_Staffing

No, that is the row below that.

I'm searching for the trait between the improved gravity Well and the interference drones.

Edit: stumbled upon it searching wiki:
    https://stowiki.net/wiki/Trait:_Cooperation_is_the_Dominant_Strategy
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    thaedaristhaedaris Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    That's so cool! Thanks for sharing your Ahwahnee build.

I'm using something similar on my main Federation Science captain but I went with more of Control and Drain build to help the pets do more damage to the enemies' hull faster. It's my main ship that farm Random Elite TFOs and I've been having a lot of fun watching the shuttlecrafts and fighters work in tandem when they do their strafing runs.

It's Systems Power Levels are maintained at Weapons (84) / Auxiliary (130) while all weapons are firing. I might give up on prioritizing weapons power since I only use the DEW for the procs to drain shields and sometimes heal my own (like the Valdore console). Having another Uncon proc would definitely seem more logical.

How are the new Borg frigates? Are they good? Also, what torpedo launchers are you using?

v5oo0nulucuq.jpg

• Options
    Why are you using mixed weapons and mixed energy types if you do not have access to miracle worker on the build?
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,533 Arc User
    edited February 28
    Why are you using mixed weapons and mixed energy types if you do not have access to miracle worker on the build?

I have done that mixed weapons thing before too because of the way the draconian Omnibeam restrictions break sets otherwise, or to double-down on a particular set (often more for theme than strict optimization) by using the array and cannon from the same set. I am not sure if that is what thaedaris is doing with the build there, but the technique does work well enough even though it is contrary to the usual meta concepts.

I am not sure what the point of the tetryon turret is when everything else is phaser (though the omni could be a KCB instead I suppose since the colors are so close, which would be even worse).

One suggestion is to put the torpedo and mine launcher in the center of the forward/rear hardpoint banks, since they don't use energy to fire they let the power levels build back up a little between when the first energy weapon in the bank fires and the one on the other side fires.
  • Options
    edited February 29

Mainly for shield drains and space barbie. The aft has the Event Tholian Tetryon omni (also creates powerful mines: scales w/ EPG or free healing power ups) and a crafted tetryon turret (least -weapon power requirement) since the Quantum Phased weapons fire blueish white beams/projectiles.

I might switch the turret and Nukara rep mine to the new Proton set when I unlock it. They look interesting.

I don't think the mixed armaments matter much in a carrier since it's a 3/3. It will never set weapons dps records like a 5/3, or 5/2/1, or even a 4/4 broadsider so having utility from the weapons makes more sense to me. The main idea of the build is to very quickly drain your target's shields so your fighters can damage their targets' hulls much faster. I used to disable shields (like the Titan's console) but I hated how targets would have full shields when the effect subsided so I went to full shield drain instead.

The Quantum Phase set may be old but it's the only set that does massive shield drains while healing yours, like the Valdore console. Using both Beam Array and its cannons variant gives 2 chances of the proc similar to why some players use both Trilithium Enhanced Omni and its Turret variant in the same build. They also count as 2 pc. with the Torpedo for its set bonus (2x shield drain effectiveness on the set).

The FAW1 and CSV1 are only there for 100% uptime on SAD. The ETM throws an extra Torp Spread 1 each time you use FAW and CSV which causes a synergy on the Quantum Phase Torpedo to do even more guaranteed massive AoE Shield Drains on foes that are constantly trapped in your Improved GW3.

Hmmm ... I probably should drop the ship's EPG and add +200 more on DrainX to get the Quantum Phase Torpedo to drain more or less 50,000 to All Shields on Torp Spread and its Tachyon3 to drain around 70,000 to All Shields. Then swap Spore Infused Anomalies with Piercing Tachyon to make Tachyons do AoE while removing all buffs on all affected targets every second.

Decisions, decisions ... LOL
  • Options
    Shield drain and space barby are both nobel goals, but i do worry about the synergy between the various parts of the build.

It will probably get you through patrols on normal difficulty, but content beyond that may pose a problem and this from someone who likes to add drain to various builds.

• Options
    edited March 3
    Shield drain and space barby are both nobel goals, but i do worry about the synergy between the various parts of the build.

It will probably get you through patrols on normal difficulty, but content beyond that may pose a problem and this from someone who likes to add drain to various builds.

It's actually one of my two main ships for Random Elite TFOs and it doesn't need "carrying" by other players. Hangar Pets based DPS Carriers are really in a great place right now. Try them out :)

My real main ship for Random Elite TFO is a Human Engineer Captain in a shield tanking Enterprise-D build on the Legendary Galaxy (Ross). He's semi-retired right now due to sitting on over 3 million unrefined Dilithium and about 5,000 reputation marks on all factions.
  • Options
    thaedaris wrote: »

It's actually one of my two main ships for Random Elite TFOs and it doesn't need "carrying" by other players. Hangar Pets based DPS Carriers are really in a great place right now. Try them out :)

My real main ship for Random Elite TFO is a Human Engineer Captain in a shield tanking Enterprise-D build on the Legendary Galaxy (Ross). He's semi-retired right now due to sitting on over 3 million unrefined Dilithium and about 5,000 reputation marks on all factions.

That might be due to the console being broken prior to Thursday's patch. Be wary of that.
    Haven't had time to take the ship out since, but if the pets are no longer OP status then the synergy between various weapons might need to be taken into account.
  • Options

That might be due to the console being broken prior to Thursday's patch. Be wary of that.
    Haven't had time to take the ship out since, but if the pets are no longer OP status then the synergy between various weapons might need to be taken into account.
    The new console is buffing Carriers a lot but even without it Carriers have been in a great position for a little while now. The devs have done a good job bumping up Carriers in the past year or two.
  • Options

The new console is buffing Carriers a lot but even without it Carriers have been in a great position for a little while now. The devs have done a good job bumping up Carriers in the past year or two.

While pets needed some work, it is safe to say the scale has tipped and it is a matter of time before it is adjusted again.
    It is best not to build mediocre simply because the pets will compensate for anything.
  • Options

While pets needed some work, it is safe to say the scale has tipped and it is a matter of time before it is adjusted again.
    It is best not to build mediocre simply because the pets will compensate for anything.
    I don't understand what you mean build for mediocre? Carriers have been working for a few years now. So I don't expect the devs to suddenly go back to making Carriers mediocre like they used to be years ago.

Building for pet damage is perfectly viable, good damage and there are multiple ways and carrier styles to do it now. Its been a constant stream of positive changes for carriers for a few years now. I can see the new console and trait being readjusted a little bit but that just means we will be back to the good carriers we had before the new console and trait.
  • Options

I don't understand what you mean build for mediocre? Carriers have been working for a few years now. So I don't expect the devs to suddenly go back to making Carriers mediocre like they used to be years ago.

Building for pet damage is perfectly viable, good damage and there are multiple ways and carrier styles to do it now. Its been a constant stream of positive changes for carriers for a few years now. I can see the new console and trait being readjusted a little bit but that just means we will be back to the good carriers we had before the new console and trait.

I was referring to the mixed energy/ weapon types build mentioned by the OP above being used for random elite.
    With the lack of synergy in it this was a build being carried by the pets and console. The latter has been adjusted in the last patch and if the pets remain on the high end of the scale then it is to be expected that they (pets) will be adjusted as well.

In order to be prepared for that day it is best to build with synergy between the components in mind.
    Mixing beams/cannons only when taking advantage of miracle worker powers or sticking to a single energy type to optimize boosting that energy type. Failing to do that ends up in mediocre builds.
  • Options

I was referring to the mixed energy/ weapon types build mentioned by the OP above being used for random elite.
    With the lack of synergy in it this was a build being carried by the pets and console. The latter has been adjusted in the last patch and if the pets remain on the high end of the scale then it is to be expected that they (pets) will be adjusted as well.

In order to be prepared for that day it is best to build with synergy between the components in mind.
    Mixing beams/cannons only when taking advantage of miracle worker powers or sticking to a single energy type to optimize boosting that energy type. Failing to do that ends up in mediocre builds.
    A lot of Carrier builds benefit from mixing like using Scatter Volley with FaW with Projectile Bridge officer. Others have no downside for having no synergy in the ship weapons. My main carrier at the moment has 3 different types of torpedo. Energy weapons for the set bonus and often 2 to 4 types of mines as the synergy between weapons isn't that important at least for pet damaged based carriers. The Hybrid carrier do tend to want synergy with ship weapons.

Personally I see the pets as primary damage and ship weapons sometimes not even secondary damage but tertiary depending on the build. As long as you are boosting the pets enough then the synergy in the main weapons doesn't really matter.

I really don't think pets or damage based pet carriers are likely to get be adjusted downwards any time soon.

"Failing to do that ends up in mediocre builds."
    It doesn't for well built pet damage based carriers. As long as the synergy is built around boosting the pets output then the synergy for the ship weapons doesn't matter. We want to mix things like Scatter Volley and FaW which is usually not recommanded for main weapon ship based builds.
  • Options
    edited March 4

A lot of Carrier builds benefit from mixing like using Scatter Volley with FaW with Projectile Bridge officer. Others have no downside for having no synergy in the ship weapons. My main carrier at the moment has 3 different types of torpedo. Energy weapons for the set bonus and often 2 to 4 types of mines as the synergy between weapons isn't that important at least for pet damaged based carriers. The Hybrid carrier do tend to want synergy with ship weapons.

Personally I see the pets as primary damage and ship weapons sometimes not even secondary damage but tertiary depending on the build. As long as you are boosting the pets enough then the synergy in the main weapons doesn't really matter.

I really don't think pets or damage based pet carriers are likely to get be adjusted downwards any time soon.

It doesn't for well built pet damage based carriers. As long as the synergy is built around boosting the pets output then the synergy for the ship weapons doesn't matter. We want to mix things like Scatter Volley and FaW which is usually not recommanded for main weapon ship based builds.

We can argue back and forth on the issue, but suffice it to say that we differ of opinion on potential future adjustments of pets in STO.
    Now to get back to the issue, would you recommend the build posted by the OP to others or would you consider it to be flawed?
  • Options

We can argue back and forth on the issue, but suffice it to say that we differ of opinion on potential future adjustments of pets in STO.
    Now to get back to the issue, would you recommend the build posted by the OP to others or would you consider it to be flawed?
    Looking at the screenshots of the two builds in this thread with mixed weapons and mixed weapon bridge officer powers. I would say they are not flawed and that is the good way to build a pet based Carrier. Full Carriers builds benefit from mixing and do not lose out for breaking or having no to little ship weapon synergy (synergy as in the the same weapon type and damage). There are some changes I would make in the 2nd build if I was to fly that myself. Saying that it looks like the build damage is based off pet damage so main weapon synergy doesn't matter. In these two builds in this case we fit weapons that benefit form DainX or benefit from ControlX no matter the weapon type or damage type even if it break weapon synergy. Same for the Bridge officer powers it benefits us to go FaW alongside Scatter Volley. It makes the build stronger doing this.

I don't see anything in either build that makes them mediocre builds so yes I would recommend them if you are after a DrainX or ControlX based carrier with high pet damage. Saying ships weapons needs synergy doesn't apply to full carrier builds. Though it does apply to Hybrid builds. Neither of the builds in here are hybrid Carriers. They are full pet carriers.
  • Options
    To be honest i don't share your confidence in the build above, but then again i usually add some teeth beside the pets.
  • Options
    To be honest i don't share your confidence in the build above, but then again i usually add some teeth beside the pets.
    That's the nice thing about STO the options and differing playstyles. For me its full pet with 80%+ damage being pets. It works and I have full confidence in that style of build without it being mediocre. As long as its built right that is.
  • Options
    edited March 4
    That's the nice thing about STO the options and differing playstyles. For me its full pet with 80%+ damage being pets. It works and I have full confidence in that style of build without it being mediocre. As long as its built right that is.

That is one thing carrier and science builds have in common.
    Both can work very well when build correctly, but that usually takes quite a bit of dedicated effort.
  • Options
    That's fair. You're entitled to your opinion. But I wasn't theorycrafting the Ahwahnee build.

I'm sharing the Ahwahnee build above from my own personal experience so I can personally vouch that it works in Elites since I play it everyday. I'm not speaking out of ignorance on the build. I would not publicly share the build with my name attached to it if it cannot hold its own weight in Elites. That wouldn't be adding anything to the Forums.

The only Elite TFO that I've ever had any difficulty in completing is Korfez. All groups that I've been with always end in the same point of the TFO: the part where you have to protect the Turei from 3 or 4 fronts of 20+ Elite Vaadwaur ships in each front ... all at the same time.

My Ahwahnee would be able to neutralize a front with its Gravity Well but the Turei ships would be destroyed each time by the other flanks within the first 20 seconds. But I've been told that it's a bug that's always been there so I guess everyone's having the same fate in Korfez.