test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Q'S WINTER WONDERLAND!

baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,351 Community Moderator
Q is making his grand return to the Winter Wonderland next week!

https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11559073
GrWzQke.png
Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
----> Contact Customer Support <----
Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,051 Community Moderator
    star-trek-darmok.gif
    Tamarian Ship. Tamarian Ship. Tamarian Ship.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    Ship looks amazing - looking forward to the blog with details!
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,814 Arc User
    Hm, a bit underwhelming if you ask me. I don't really care for the outfits, so for me the additions are just a new kit module and a new melee ground weapon.

And until we get a melee revamp to make it less stiff, I'm not that interested in the bat'leth either. The kit module will probably be interesting for my three Andorian toons, but that really seems to be it this year.

Oh well. I've got a few toons who can work on getting some of the older rewards then. Snow boots, the Breen torpedo-omni-set, maybe a few training manuals.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,872 Arc User
    edited November 2023
    Big props for the team this year. The Tamarian ship/near iconic miscellaneous alien ship of the week is a big boon for those who want non-standard fleet crews of their own design. It's difficult to do a multifaction/generic ship well and this is peak of the TNG background ships, which you can easily headcannon as a generally contracted vessel used by any faction that suits your fancy. Great stuff.

Sweaters great, new batleth cool, and a kit power + sci boff training manual is always a great thing for the ground game (especially along the direct damage variety). Throwing in J'Ula's MIA uniform to boot is a great bonus (and a FAR better way to handle this content than premium bundle exclusives).

Very well done, really looking forward to this year.
    And until we get a melee revamp to make it less stiff.

It's something you can explore more with boffs. They're much more capable in melee combat (no worries about awkward human interfaces, response timing) and while a novelty weapon the bat'leth here looks fantastic regardless (for DSC variants).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,333 Arc User
    edited November 2023
    I wonder when we will get a proper mortar module firing cold grenades, one which is NOT bound to QWW
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    finsches123finsches123 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    Bazminti, when he pulled back the veil. Sokath, his eyes uncovered. Temba, his arms wide. The river Temarc in spring.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    Honestly I think they should make the Tamarian ship a c-store ship, as an event ship it may not necessarily get a very good setup besides the fact that it won't get full special spec.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
    Me likes the ship. :D
    Gotta get the kit thing. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    Shame they didn't add Picard's uniform jacket from that episode and later TNG episodes.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,051 Community Moderator
    avoozuul wrote: »
    Shame they didn't add Picard's uniform jacket from that episode and later TNG episodes.

Picard's uniform Jacket?
    0jFwJm.jpg
    You mean this one? Because technically it IS in game. You just need the Open Jacket uniform from the C-Store, and use the TNG Movie open jacket Uniform. The undershirt looks like the one Picard has, and you can set the colors of the uniform jacket to match the TNG style colors.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,526 Arc User
    Nice ship, and my SCIENCE! captains will be running hot and cold with the new kit module.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Q'sWW is something I always enjoy. Due to the silliness of it. Yeah, it's a little long in the tooth. However this doesn't detract from the fun I have visiting Q's aberrant version of a winter holiday. The Event Ship looks interesting. I'll see y'all the Pie Eating Contest or luring the Koskari out to pepper it with snowballs.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Q'sWW is something I always enjoy. Due to the silliness of it. Yeah, it's a little long in the tooth. However this doesn't detract from the fun I have visiting Q's aberrant version of a winter holiday. The Event Ship looks interesting. I'll see y'all the Pie Eating Contest or luring the Koskari out to pepper it with snowballs.

With the seasonal events I think Cryptic realized that more events =/= more engagement. There's loads and players have their favorites. Adding more just extends the length of the event cycle and makes a given favorite less frequent (and less likely to be happened on during shorter logins). More persistently available activities would be cool (like pie eating) but there's probably not the numbers to justify those either (restricted need, rewards by necessity limited hampering potential draw vs. timed events). I'd personally like more characters on map and for some optional dialog with them (holiday themed snippets of interaction), but that's a default recommendation I'd give to all STO hubs to make them feel more lively and narratively entwined with content, and probably not a priority for most players.

It's natural to want more, and for older players to want a refresh, but I think realistically these impulses aren't as strong as what keeps the event going as is. Cue happy, familiar event staying consistent year over year.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    anubis0sarvouranubis0sarvour Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    I like LIKE this ship! I hope this means we get the Talarian Warship next! i already have a new Captain in mind!
    3fe5520084f54ba06a859d0b2c824e771701473049.png
    The Borg Assimilator
    Live Long and Prosper.🖖[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    adamwilson1986adamwilson1986 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Would of been nice to of been told what "8am", rather than a generalised 8am :wink: because in the UK its not on LOL and Q is 45 minutes late :-o
    :P
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,769 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    star-trek-darmok.gif
    Tamarian Ship. Tamarian Ship. Tamarian Ship.

SPACESHIP!!!!!!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhG8Ry-L3IQ

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    Would of been nice to of been told what "8am", rather than a generalised 8am :wink: because in the UK its not on LOL and Q is 45 minutes late :-o

I believe most times are given in Pacific. So it would be 8 AM Pacific time.
    Key factor for this I believe is the fact that Cryptic is located on the west coast of the United States.
  • Options
    arliekkosarliekkos Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    Mo'kai tunic is yuck. Save your winter tokens.
  • Options
    missmel#5308 missmel Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    Is there a reason why the Console page didn't get updated with this event...
    As there's a problem with Events tab still says the Summer event is running...
    I'll put it in support like I'm supposed to..
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    arliekkos wrote: »
    Mo'kai tunic is yuck. Save your winter tokens.

[Confused tardigrade]

It's absolutely fine and a great way for non-KDF players to get a uniform for KDF themed officers, given that it's multifaction. For KDF players it adds to the DSC customization options to further develop themed crews. And with recoloring you can make it stand for anything you want. It's a high collared jacket with dual shoulder pads if desired.

The Mo'Kai tunic is one of the better winter costume offerings in years, as its a new kind of asset that's available for general use, adding to player customization options more substantially than our usual sweaters (fun but outside the event they're relegated to the back of the metaphorical closet.) Adding "lost" uniforms to seasonal events is INFINITELY preferable to seeing them headline expensive bundles for the pleasure of a very small group of players. More of this should be the default reaction from those with a vested interest in space barbie, it is to our basic interests to see more accessible access to new costumes.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,769 Arc User
    Anyone put together a WW guide for 2023? Do we even have any newbies this year that could use a WW guide?
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    thinker#1378 thinker Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    I very rarely post on these forums, and couldn't figure out a better place for this, Ever since the WW went live, I've been having severe lag spikes to the point that several winter activities are nigh unplayable, with the racing events being the most heavily impacted. Nothing has change about my rig in the past 5+ years, and this is the first time I've had this problem. Has the system specs for the game changed or something because I didn't see that in the patch notes.

As a side note, 1.4k hours of playtime in the game from steam, and I've done basically every event since I started so I probably would have had this problem before now if it was on my end.
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    Is there a reason why the Console page didn't get updated with this event...
    As there's a problem with Events tab still says the Summer event is running...
    I'll put it in support like I'm supposed to..

Weird. In my Events menu, I have:
    • Event Campaign
    • Summer Event (Ended)
    • Winter Event
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I very rarely post on these forums, and couldn't figure out a better place for this, Ever since the WW went live, I've been having severe lag spikes to the point that several winter activities are nigh unplayable, with the racing events being the most heavily impacted. Nothing has change about my rig in the past 5+ years, and this is the first time I've had this problem. Has the system specs for the game changed or something because I didn't see that in the patch notes.

As a side note, 1.4k hours of playtime in the game from steam, and I've done basically every event since I started so I probably would have had this problem before now if it was on my end.

With lag issues you always want to run diagnostic tests to verify the nature of the issue. Forums are filled with people that were confident about correlations but on examination turned out to be something else (with STO just being the one game doing something to trigger a symptom). Ex. ISP issues, issues with an ISP between you and Cryptic, router issues, ect. Nothing about your setup needs to change to start seeing lag spikes, and presuming something changed at Cryptic to cause spikes invokes the same sudden gremlins that could also strike your own network pathway.

Test instructions here, at the very worst they'll give you confirmation that it really is on Cryptic so the devs can take the post at face value (with additional data) rather than shrugging it off if their tests show green.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1162154/pc-network-and-other-technical-issues-read-this-first-before-posting
  • Options
    arliekkosarliekkos Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    Any new Winter Epohh this season?
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

I believe most times are given in Pacific. So it would be 8 AM Pacific time.
    Key factor for this I believe is the fact that Cryptic is located on the west coast of the United States.
    They're California based near San Francisco IIRC

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User

With lag issues you always want to run diagnostic tests to verify the nature of the issue. Forums are filled with people that were confident about correlations but on examination turned out to be something else (with STO just being the one game doing something to trigger a symptom). Ex. ISP issues, issues with an ISP between you and Cryptic, router issues, ect. Nothing about your setup needs to change to start seeing lag spikes, and presuming something changed at Cryptic to cause spikes invokes the same sudden gremlins that could also strike your own network pathway.

Test instructions here, at the very worst they'll give you confirmation that it really is on Cryptic so the devs can take the post at face value (with additional data) rather than shrugging it off if their tests show green.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1162154/pc-network-and-other-technical-issues-read-this-first-before-posting

Generally if the issue was in Cryptic's end we'd see more and more consistent issues, so far I've had only 1 case of rubber banding in WW during this year and most of the time there's essentially no lag, I'm not saying that thinker's issue couldn't be on Cryptic's end but it's far from certain.

To add to what Duncan said, sometimes the reason STO is triggering the lag issue isn't that there's something wrong with STO or Cryptic's connection but that STO is the only game that needs a constant connection like that and thus other games don't show the symptoms even though they're suffering from the same issue.
This discussion has been closed.