test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Embracer Group CLOSED Volition Studios

blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 98 Arc User
As one might know, Embracer Group purchased Cryptic Studios from PWE and placed it under Gearbox. Now because of a massive crash in Embracer's stocks last July they have officially close Volition Studios and fired Gearbox employees. Embracer has also closed some other studios, but astonishingly Cryptic Studios didn't fall into Embracer's cross-hairs just yet. I believe this is only due to the fact that Cryptic Studios is a low cost remote skeleton crew.

Volition was a very unique, they cared about their workers, they hired in game modders, and most of all they cared about their end-users and product. They left this final statement;

The Volition team has proudly created world-class entertainment for fans around the globe for 30 years. We’ve been driven by a passion for our community and always worked to deliver joy, surprise, and delight.

This past June, Embracer Group announced a restructuring program to strengthen Embracer and maintain its position as a leader in the video game industry. As part of that program, they evaluated strategic and operational goals and made the difficult decision to close Volition effective immediately.

To help our team, we are working to provide job assistance and help smooth the transition for our Volition family members. We thank our customers and fans around the world for all the love and support over the years. You will always be in our hearts.

I personally purchased the entire "Saints Row" series. I also bought some of these games for my friends here and overseas. I will miss Volition games greatly and do wish them the best.

What are your thoughts and opinions? Did you play "Saints Row" or other Volition games? Do you think Embracer Group will eventually close more studios or defunct themselves?

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Enjoyed Saints Row 3 and 4 and stayed far away from the Reboot because I didn't like any of the main characters. The original Saints Row characters were iconic.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    Unfortunately for Volition, the Saint's Row franchise wasn't really doing well recently either critically or financially and that's pretty much all the studio was developing when the shutdown hit.

If you believe Cryptic press - both Star Trek Online and NeverWinter are doing quite well financially; and in STO's case Paramount has renewed the license at least twice since STO launched.

If that changes, yeah, I'm sure Embracer Group will look for ways to cut losses by either attempting a sale of Cryptic; or yes, shutting Cryptic down; but there's ALWAYS that possibility when profits fall <--- But that doesn't seem to be the case for Cryptic yet.

Time will tell.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    ...in STO's case Paramount has renewed the license at least twice since STO launched.
    There has also been cross-pollination between STO and official Trek shows, so I think CBS/Paramount is likely to continue to support this game.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    ...in STO's case Paramount has renewed the license at least twice since STO launched.
    There has also been cross-pollination between STO and official Trek shows, so I think CBS/Paramount is likely to continue to support this game.

Yeah while it's not impossible that Embracer would close Cryptic they'd have to weight that option against possibly angering/upsetting Paramount and anyway loosing a major licence, so I don't think that's likely soon, that said I could see things like the 3D printing of ships getting cut (in fact I think the financial difficulties of Embracer was the cause for sunsetting the 3D printing option).
  • Options
    kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited October 2023
    Related Update to the Embracer/Gearbox thing dealing with Cryptic:
    As spotted by Timur222 on X (former Twitter), several Cryptic Studios employees have posted on LinkedIn that they were recently laid off......But judging by different posts (most of them were written on Friday), it seems that dozens of Cryptic staffers are now looking for roles at other companies.
    cut snippets from article
    https://gameworldobserver.com/2023/10/16/cryptic-zen-studios-layoffs-embracer-group-restructuring
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,022 Community Moderator
    According to Kael, no changes have been made to personnel at Cryptic. As posted by Baddmoon in the STO Short News Update thread...
    https://x.com/AmbassadorKael/status/1714012706846732552?s=20

Just to post it here, no, I have not been laid off from Cryptic.

https://x.com/AmbassadorKael/status/1714013246032896502?s=20

To further clarify, none of the teams at Cryptic have changed at this time.

Word from AmbassadorKael himself, who would be in a better position to know what's going on at Cryptic than we do.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    According to Kael, no changes have been made to personnel at Cryptic. As posted by Baddmoon in the STO Short News Update thread...

Word from AmbassadorKael himself, who would be in a better position to know what's going on at Cryptic than we do.

It's very very important to note that he is speaking only in the immediate present tense. Nothing about his statement indicates changes are not planned, only that they have not been made as of his post.

Also, several Cryptic devs as well as Kael (last pic) are now looking for new gigs:

I wish them all the best of luck.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Someone has checked all of the Cryptic people listed on Linkedin, and apparently over 30 were looking for work as of yesterday.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Other hand, I checked with Nick a couple hours ago on Twitter, and he says nobody's been laid off at Cryptic since Magic. Honestly, I tend to believe him more than LinkedIn, which has hosted falsified accounts from time to time...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    And I believe Kael, and would like to ask people to avoid looking for doom and spreading unconfirmed rumors. Not everything on the Internet is true after all. So lets just take a wait and see approach.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    Other hand, I checked with Nick a couple hours ago on Twitter, and he says nobody's been laid off at Cryptic since Magic. Honestly, I tend to believe him more than LinkedIn, which has hosted falsified accounts from time to time...
    And I believe Kael, and would like to ask people to avoid looking for doom and spreading unconfirmed rumors. Not everything on the Internet is true after all. So lets just take a wait and see approach.

A few things:

1: I'm not suggesting that Nick/Kael aren't telling the truth. I believe them that no one has been laid off at Cryptic (yet).

2: I also believe Cryptic has been told it's coming, hence so many people suddenly looking for work.

3: If people don't want to speculate and would rather just "wait and see", that's completely fine. If that's the case, it's probably best not to read threads like this.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Yeah while it's not impossible that Embracer would close Cryptic they'd have to weight that option against possibly angering/upsetting Paramount and anyway loosing a major license, so I don't think that's likely soon,
    That won't matter if Embracer isn't somehow contractually obligated by Paramount to maintain the game. Generally speaking, a license agreement can be relinquished at any time, without much in the way of negative repercussions. It all depends on the precise wording of the contract.

TL;DR, a contract and a license aren't the same thing.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    qqqqii wrote: »
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Yeah while it's not impossible that Embracer would close Cryptic they'd have to weight that option against possibly angering/upsetting Paramount and anyway loosing a major license, so I don't think that's likely soon,
    That won't matter if Embracer isn't somehow contractually obligated by Paramount to maintain the game. Generally speaking, a license agreement can be relinquished at any time, without much in the way of negative repercussions. It all depends on the precise wording of the contract.

TL;DR, a contract and a license aren't the same thing.

Obviously but amount of support Paramount/CBS has given to STO suggests they consider it an important thing and while there might not be literally a negative repercussions, it might make Paramount second guess giving Embracer any Trek contracts in the future.
  • Options
    3: If people don't want to speculate and would rather just "wait and see", that's completely fine. If that's the case, it's probably best not to read threads like this.

Counterpoint: Speculation in the negative direction can lead to DOOOOOOOM posting. And Doom Threads are against forum rules.
  • Options

Counterpoint: Speculation in the negative direction can lead to DOOOOOOOM posting. And Doom Threads are against forum rules.

Cool. If you see any DOOOOOOOM postings then do what you gotta do. That said, the last sentence of the OP is literally asking if people think this will lead to any more of Embracer's studios closing, so that's actually part of what this thread is about.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    Embracer would probably try to sell of Cryptic before resorting to closing it - but given the level of debt that Embracer was left with (because they spent money expecting the funding deal to go through, and when it didn't, they were left with $1+ Billion is debt); while yes, both STO and especially Neverwinter have been successful overall - the cashflow they currently generate is miniscule when compared with the level of debt Embracer needs to deal with.

So yeah, it's more likely they'd shop Cryptic to another buyer, and cashflow is cashflow; BUT if anyone remember the end of the Cryptic/Atari (well actually French Infogames) relationship prior to them being bought by PerfectWorld...yeah, we could be in for a return to the "No cups in the breakroom" days; and effective maintenance mode until Embracer finds a buyer or pulls the plug on Cryptic all together.

But unfortunately no, given the level of debt Embracer has to shed, the latter of the above is also a REAL possibility, and a downsizing and drawdown of game operating and ongoing development costs is all but assured - which is why the 30 Cryptic employees who want to continue a career in the Gaming industry have put out feelers. Not to mention teh company has said publically they want to more away from 3rd party IP licensed games and develop their own IPs for their games...yeah BOTH Neverwinter and Star Trek Online ore such 3rd party licensed games - so unless CBS says, "Hey, we'll BUY Cryptic and fund all Star Trek Online development" and Embracer says, "Great!" - yeah, the Paramount and Hasbro (is it still Hasbro who owns the Neverwinter IP?) licenses to create/maintain those aren't even on Embracer's corporate radar ATM.

There are DEFINITELY going to be changes made to the way Cryptic operates. When your current parent company is facing $1+ billion in debt and bankruptcy, it's inevitable - and yes someone Upper management at Cryptic was told what's coming and that leaked to the staff...so some staff are taking action before the Hammer falls.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    Oh, hey, look there - our first DOOOOOMMM posting.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    It sounds to me like "DOOOOOMMM" needs to be *clearly* defined. It seems like some people have no problem with speculation if they agree with it, but if it's speculation they disagree with they want to slap a label on it as off bounds. IMO this is just trying to censor opinions you disagree with.

YMMV, but to me a long post explaining why someone thinks something bad may happen is not "DOOOOOMMM". And if people want to disagree with that post they should have to actually try to explain why by refuting the points, not just be able to use some label to do the work for them.

On the other hand, some short proclamation that the company/game will be shutting down without any real reasoning fits the "DOOOOOMMM" category, IMO.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    edited October 2023
    Does it really matter whether something sounds like a doom thread?

If there's a mushroom cloud on the horizon, there are bigger problems than someone shouting 'doom!'
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    A few updates:

Kael tweeted this then deleted it:
    jpzkaUP.png

Nick Diguid (Tumerboy) posted this:
    Hey all, the axe fell at Cryptic this morning. While it doesn’t seem that I was impacted, a bunch of the BEST people I have ever had the pleasure of working with were. Please keep an eye out for them and if you’ve got openings I’d be happy to pass them along directly to the right people.

My heart is broken, but I want to help however I can.

<3

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/nickduguid_hey-all-the-axe-fell-at-cryptic-this-morning-activity-7125925425339355137-61ld?trk=public_profile_post_view

Scott Boyd (Lead Environment Artist at Cryptic Studios) posted this:
    Hello community. I'm sure you have been seeing a lot of people in the gaming industry being let go recently. Unfortunately, I'm here to report that there are a lot of amazing people from Cryptic Studios who are joining the list today. I would love to help as many as I can to find jobs as soon as possible. I could use everyone's help in this endeavor!

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/scot-boyd-2b69503_hello-community-im-sure-you-have-been-seeing-activity-7125903624823529473-YlBM?trk=public_profile_post_view

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    darknovasc01darknovasc01 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited November 2023
    Now that the news of layoffs is official, and that Cryptic is moving under DECA Games (DECA Games is a games-as-a-service publisher that operates as part of the Embracer Group, focusing primarily on mobile games), are we allowed to discuss it in General Discussion or do we have to go to Ten Forward?

Since this directly affects the game, I would have thought General would be ok, but I don't make the rules.

For info, for those that don't follow X (Twitter), details of the layoffs can be found in this article:

Embracer's implosion continues as Star Trek Online developer Cryptic Studios lays off employees
    Post edited by rattler2 on
  • Options
    darknovasc01darknovasc01 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    For better or worse, the confirmation of the layoffs is out in the wild now:

Embracer's implosion continues as Star Trek Online developer Cryptic Studios lays off employees
  • Options
    trekfangrrrl#6910 trekfangrrrl Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    Can't say how they will handle this specific event, but in the past they seem to only allow speculation if it sounds positive for the game. Or to put it another way, here is a meme. Hopefully they will chill a bit and let people express their concerns about a game they care about without trying to censor too heavily.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User

Just to play devil's advocate, the AOL contact center in Florida had this happen. A rumor the center was closing spread and the site director said no, not happening. the next day employees showed up to work to find the gates locked and the site closed.

Never say never
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    I was hoping the CEO of Cryptic might address their overall player base with a formal statement on where things stand? Seems appropriate to me anyway.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    FYI, the Community Team has chosen to concentrate discussion in Ten Forward, so we've moved the thread.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    threads /merged
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    As much as I like the presence of voice actors, wouldn't it have made sense to cut costs there first?

Anyway, it's very unfortunate that STO and its playerbase are now basically paying the price for years of overreach.
    If I'm not mistaken, developers had already been fired in the past after being transferred from STO to another one of Cryptic's less succesful games that hadn't even been fully released yet at the time.

Obviously I'm not familiar with all the financial data and facts that led to these business decisions, but it seems pretty clear to me now that they were bad decisions. We've been told for years that STO was one of their succesful games - they should have concentrated their investments and other scarce resources, including manpower, here then.

Less adventurism, more focussing on the formula that - according to official statements - worked well.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    Then again, citing from the article posted above:
    The layoffs at Cryptic are the latest in a long and ugly string of job cuts throughout the game industry in 2023. Bungie, Telltale, Epic, BioWare, Firaxis, Creative Assembly, Naughty Dog, Relic, Electronic Arts, Take-Two, CD Projekt, Activision, and others have all let employees go in the relentless pursuit of greater profits and shareholder returns. Embracer, which had grown into an industry behemoth through numerous acquisitions in recent years but fell into trouble following the unexpected collapse of a $2 billion deal in May, previously cut staff at Zen Studios and closed Saints Row studio Volition outright.

I guess it's not just a problem at Cryptic/ Embracer. Still, I am left with the impression that this could have been avoided.