test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The major nerf to Maelstrom Torpedo (updated with changes to maelstrom on tribble)

1235»

Comments

• Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    oddly enough, I'm using it in a Torp build, added 2 Quantum projectile tac consoles and no appreciable boost to damage.. Isn't the Maelstrom a Quantum torpedo?

Photon buffs it... don't ask. lol
  • Options
    xgamefreakzxgamefreakz Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    So I went to find another conditional hit based stuff (not buff based) that was made from Jonathan instead of Borticus. Theres one, the starship trait complex plasma fire from the gorn hunter pilot raider.

m3ufv2s0jcaj.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D5VEEm1YwjRzj0lBOgtDdJO65DCIytBv/view?usp=drive_link (4k for actual file, sharper needs download)

As seen in the video above, in first part of the video, in the chat damage lines, right after the "sir we've engaged the enemy!", the first 2 hits of complex plasma fire, the firs one at 1878 damage is the normal complex fire plasma damage, the one right after that at 2958 damage is the conditional hit where if the shield facing is down on the enemy, it applies another 1 time tick of damage, easily distinguishable because its double damage of the regular plasma complex fire hit (both are critical hits). Since complex fires affect plasma weapons including plasma torpedoes, I can fire it first and then activate a shield offline as seen in the 2nd part of the video, in the last second of the video duration, in the chat lines, you can see 2 complex fire hits separated, both at 1727 damage; the conditional hit did not apply even though the torpedo did hit when the shields are offline (you can see the "captain, our enemy's facing shields are down!" line appear before the plasma torpedo damage line).

i8psvqkm2ysm.png
    3sgqckoo3158.png

This isn't really a problem for the starship trait current performance at the moment, but this is likely where Jonathan/whoever programed the maelstrom changes has also taken the mechanics from. This is in my opinion a mistake, conditional effects that is hit based (not buff based) should have its condition scanned when the weapon/ability in question actually hits, not when its activated, as can be seen in my comments in https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/comment/13749366 with regards to the starship trait advanced precision guided munitions, where it takes conditional effect on hit and not on activation.
    4lmvzrfyvns7.png
    The video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p4f1DZAv1lN3He3rFBZVNkP8-D_0GCsG/view?usp=sharing

The one time you actually want Cryptic to copy-paste and take old stuff....they don't lol. It will be problematic if all future conditional hit based effects are going to be based off this.

This makes me question some other stuff. Like PBAOE.
    zzjct15sm022.png
    If I recalled correctly, say for example you have a PBAOE ability that affects 5 foes at max, and at your current ship position there is currently 8 foes in range of that ability, when activated it should affect the 5 nearest foes within range (taken from your ship position), and not 5 random foes within range. What if thats not the case now and its the latter. We're actually getting another PBAOE ability of the likes in the upcoming protostar spearhead ship's console, I might wanna go test....

But yea you should change the mechanics for conditional hit based effects, the problem isn't very apparent in complex plasma fire, but very apparent in maelstrom torpedoes, and perhaps maybe future new stuff.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    husanakx wrote: »
    oddly enough, I'm using it in a Torp build, added 2 Quantum projectile tac consoles and no appreciable boost to damage.. Isn't the Maelstrom a Quantum torpedo?

Photon buffs it... don't ask. lol

are you freeaking kidding? so it's the Maelstrom Quoton torpedo?
    Spock.jpg

This discussion has been closed.