test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A bit disappointed with the Ray of Disintegration

baucoinbaucoin Member Posts: 661 Arc User
I just unlocked the Hysperian ship tonight and I feel an opportunity was missed with the Ray of Disintegration. Even though the icon looks different the weapon visuals look exactly like a normal disruptor beam array. What would have been cool is if the weapon actually disintegrated it's target.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    I suggest you use chroniton beams if you want something that looks magical. Throw in some chroniton turrets for added sparkle, and perhaps a Hirogen turret if you happen to have one (the beams are unremarkable but the turrets look like weaponised clouds).

The old temporal lobi and ship sets would probably suit the Hysperian ship, especially now that they're not ship-specific. Summoning duplicates and rewinding time is very space-magic after all.

But, if you're really set on gibbing enemies the Omega plasma torpedo and the Digitiser torpedo will serve you well. They even have that whoomph sound we all love.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    lasoniolasonio Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    Disintegrating enemies can be achieved with the correct traits and effects on any build, they simply freeze in place turn purple and erode. It triggers alot with over kill. If the enemy has 100 hp and you do X amount over that threshold they disintegrate. The same as they do on ground. It's fairly easy to see it happen with something like the zhat vash gun on ground.

But even though disintegration is interesting to see visually, i think its better for builds and dps for you if they had core breaches. Which contribute to the fight. If they disintegrate, they just disappear, if they core breach they cause damage to surrounding enemies to help you sweep clear the field. As well as it creates crystals from the tholian warp core, disintegration doesn't do that.
    Even god rested. No work ethic.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,529 Arc User
    The DSC reputation dark matter torpedo is great for that disintegration effect.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    The Hesperians use Federation and Star Trek standard equipment. They just use different names for things.
    "Ray of Disintegration" = Disruptor Beam Array. In all its various flavors.

I put together a build for the Event ship based on all of the Undine Reputation gear. Which works nicely for a build using Radiation damage as a secondary attack. Next I put together another build for it using Coalition Disruptors, The Bajoran space set, and some cold-based Consoles and BOff abilities. I am delighted with the results of both builds
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,041 Community Moderator
    You also get a box of Plasma Weapons from that last mission in the Mirror Arc that have the V'Ger Vaporize effect. Can get 4 beams in one run.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,267 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    That said isn't "ray of disintegration" essentially what disruptors and phasers are? Sure they use technological means to do that but the effect is still that, IIRC nothing states that ship phasers/disruptors are inherently different technology with same name so we can assume they're the same as the personal phasers/disruptors and those can't be literally vaporazing their targets as there's no vapor (and humans are about 70% water by weight so there would be a lot of vapor) and thus most likely work on some form of disintegration.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    spiritborn wrote: »
    That said isn't "ray of disintegration" essentially what disruptors and phasers are? Sure they use technological means to do that but the effect is still that, IIRC nothing states that ship phasers/disruptors are inherently different technology with same name so we can assume they're the same as the personal phasers/disruptors and those can't be literally vaporazing their targets as there's no vapor (and humans are about 70% water by weight so there would be a lot of vapor) and thus most likely work on some form of disintegration.

According to throwaway dialog in the shows both phasers and (at least most) disruptors are nadion weapons, and phasers have a molecular disruption setting, so chances are the TNG-era type depicted in the game are mostly just variations on the same thing.

The terms do not have 100% correspondence though since the definitions have parts that stick out from each other, with "phaser" probably referring to a wide range of nadion effects while "disruptor" is probably a variant that only uses that one more specific nadion weapon setting.

Also, there is more than one type of weapon called "disruptor" in the show since some people use sonic disruptors (which would probably be considered more of a kinetic/physical weapon), in the shows.

And yes, you CAN use sonic disruptors in space, you just have to use some other medium than air to transmit the vibrations, like a modulated tractor beam, though the only ones actually shown using (specifically) sonic disruptors as space weapons were the Eminian Union in A Taste of Armageddon.

Considering Balok's trick of using a modulated tractor beam to vibrate the Enterprise's hull to talk in a way the heroes could not shut off, like they could if it went through the normal communications system, they probably use tractor-based sonic disruptors as well, though it was neither shown nor spoken of in dialog.

In DS9 when Kira was teaching Zyal about energy rifles (the Trek take on the classic M-16 vs. AK-47 comparison) she introduced the Cardassian disrupter rifle formally as a "phase-disruptor" and said they were pretty much the same except that the Federation went for versatility with 16 settings and other neat toys at the expense of ruggedness while the Cardassians went the opposite way with only two settings and the ability to function with less maintenance and a lot more abuse (like dragging it through the mud).

The mud thing was probably because Mikhail Kalashnikov used to say that the AK-47 was designed for people whose idea of cleaning a rifle was dunking it in a river and shaking it till all the mud washed off.

The Hysperian "ray of disintegration" is apparently a pretty straightforward nadion phase molecular disruptor like the Klingons, Cardassians, and Romulans favor over the Swiss-knife, as-much-tool-as-weapon, approach to nadion weapons the Federation Starfleet likes to use.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm aware of the other weapons called "disruptor" but I was referring to the general type used by Klingons and Romulans (and yes I know in-game Romulans use plasma weapons but in the shows its disruptors if named).

I meant that "Ray of disintegration" is probably just fancy and more "magic" way of saying "disruptor" and it's really just bog standard disruptor the Hysperians either bought or built themselves, no different tech then the ones mounted on Klingon warship or a Romulan Warbird (or the half a dozen other races who use disruptors).
  • Options
    harveycloneharveyclone Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Can they be upgraded to a better quality then white common ?
  • Options

Generally... no. The stock gear a ship comes with cannot be upgraded. Only special equipment like Maelstrom Quantum Torpedoes or Advanced Phaser Arrays can. But if its basically "Standard Issue" then no.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »

Generally... no. The stock gear a ship comes with cannot be upgraded. Only special equipment like Maelstrom Quantum Torpedoes or Advanced Phaser Arrays can. But if its basically "Standard Issue" then no.

Yes, they can be upgraded. They start as common level less the first time you upgrade they become mk xii common and can be upgraded like normal equipment from there. Tested it myself getting a white mkxii to uncommon(greeen) mkxiv by wasting some upgrade tokens on one.

But as I pointed out, the weapon looks identical to a normal disruptor beam array when in combat. Just the icon for the weapon looks different.
  • Options
    baucoin wrote: »

Yes, they can be upgraded. They start as common level less the first time you upgrade they become mk xii common and can be upgraded like normal equipment from there. Tested it myself getting a white mkxii to uncommon(greeen) mkxiv by wasting some upgrade tokens on one.

But as I pointed out, the weapon looks identical to a normal disruptor beam array when in combat. Just the icon for the weapon looks different.

It only having a generic look is a disappointment. Does it at least disintegrate the target like the Dark Matter torpedo or something to make a play on the name?
  • Options

It only having a generic look is a disappointment. Does it at least disintegrate the target like the Dark Matter torpedo or something to make a play on the name?

Nope. :(
  • Options
    Yea I discovered that they are oddballs too on the ability to upgrade.
    I'm using Digitizing Plasma Beams on one right now though.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,871 Arc User

This follows the gag of the ship in renaming every component they can to fantasy technobabble. Apparently though art time wasn't available to do more. Call it a statement of priorities for the team. That FX effort is going to go somewhere else, but whether that'll be as fun as what could have been done here remains to be seen.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    I just wonder how long it will be before a lot of people line up and do Dragons Breath at the same time to see if they can crash the server lmao.
    "Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    If the servers did not go down when we had Fleets of Fleet Flagships, I do not think a bunch of players launching Dragon's Breath simultaneously will take them down.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    Besides doesn't the servers remove/block additional effects if the server stress is high.
  • Options
    They would be rather hard to knock down anyway considering the "server" is a large pool of servers virtually joined together.
  • Options
    harveycloneharveyclone Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    > @baucoin said:
    > Yes, they can be upgraded. They start as common level less the first time you upgrade they become mk xii common and can be upgraded like normal equipment from there. Tested it myself getting a white mkxii to uncommon(greeen) mkxiv by wasting some upgrade tokens on one.
    >
    > But as I pointed out, the weapon looks identical to a normal disruptor beam array when in combat. Just the icon for the weapon looks different.

Thanks for your feedback,it’s a shame they didn’t change the look
This discussion has been closed.