test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Andor: I didn't expect to like it, but I did

First, why I didn't expect to like the show: Hype. One of the things I've started to hate about the internet and especially twitter is the rampant drooling over things to the point of sycophancy. Even when it's things I like, the more I see people drooling the more it turns me off.

To make that even worse, everything has become political. And no I don't mean the plot/story, but the way people respond to shows(or movies). If people interpret a show's "message" as agreeing with a certain RL political ideaology it's automatically hated by the other side, and TBH the entire thing disgusts me.

Lastly, I'm pretty mixed on what Disney has done with Star Wars so far.

So anyway, even as someone who has been a SW fan their whole life, for the reasons mentioned above I wasn't really expecting to like the show.

But, I did. No, I don't think it's some kind of perfect "masterpiece" or the second coming of SW Jesus like the sycophants on twitter. But I did think it was a well made, well acted, and interesting story.

And that's really all I have to say about the show at this point, obviously not knowing whether the rest of the series will change how I feel. But I wanted to post this for any folks out there like myself who may be turned off by the same kind of behavior I described earlier, to say that regardless of that nonsense you may still enjoy the show.

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Seems that Disney has fared MUCH better with the "TV shows" than the movies. Rogue One was a good one. I haven't seen Solo, but I've heard mixed things. Also the fact that it was overshadowed by the fiasco that was The Last Jedi.

I will admit The Force Awakens was a decent start, if a bit too heavy leaning into A New Hope rehash. The Last Jedi was a total trainwreck, and Rise of Skywalker was pure damage control and confusion.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • trekfangrrrl#6910 trekfangrrrl Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Seems that Disney has fared MUCH better with the "TV shows" than the movies. Rogue One was a good one. I haven't seen Solo, but I've heard mixed things. Also the fact that it was overshadowed by the fiasco that was The Last Jedi.

I will admit The Force Awakens was a decent start, if a bit too heavy leaning into A New Hope rehash. The Last Jedi was a total trainwreck, and Rise of Skywalker was pure damage control and confusion.

Oh man, don't even get me started on the movies. I could write a novel about them, but I'll sum it up in one thought:

Imagine making a sequel trilogy to the most popular franchise of all time (sorry Trek) and not having the 3 main classic/legacy characters on screen together even ONCE in all 3 movies.

It just defies all belief.

But anyway, that's not what I posted this thread :p
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I think we can BOTH write books about them. lol

Although if you think about it... I can name two characters who have been in far more movies. Artoo and 3PO.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    "Solo" was... okay. It wasn't a great movie, or even a great Star Wars movie, but at least it wasn't "The Phantom Menace". The script was subpar, but the acting was okay.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    For a moment I thought they announced a new series about the Andorians.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Yeah, I am pretty happy with Andor, too. It might not include Shran, but the actors have delivered a pretty great performance, the story works well and it really has atmosphere. Never before has the Empire actually felt that oppressively evil.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I'd have loved a new series about Andorians, or Tellarites for that matter. But so far I have been badly disappointed by New Trek's obsession with retconing the past rather than using it as if it was immutable history and going forward.

Example: the gorn in Strange New Worlds. Ignore that Kirk's was the first encounter with them: they read more like the Masterverse Fek'lr found on this forum than TOS gorn, and they were encountered two decades before Kirk built his cannon on Vasquez Rocks. New Trek is full of such 'fixes' that don't really fix anything.

Taken for what it was, Andor has been a very good addition to the Star Wars Universe. I have not really 'liked' the protagonist. We wouldn't hang out if we met in real life, (though I bet the actor is a great wingman.) But he is very engaging within the context of the story.

Critiques:
    Lean into lucky hero stereotype and lean hard.

Coincidences happen, but in a galaxy filled with trillions and trillions of beings, why do all the main characters of every story arc have to be related? Next we'll find out Andor was Darth Vader's cousin's college roommate.

The wealthy and the poor characters dominate, but there are many more middle-class struggling to make it. We meet only two. All the rest are background scenery. This is unfortunate, because real world history shows that the middle class is the deciding vote in the success or failure of any revolution. It would be nice to see why Average Joe supports, or rebels against, the Empire.

Credits:
    Few long soliloquies on 'issues'. The reasons why characters do what they do are contained within dialogue that is a part of the story, and the story proceeds logically from what is shown on screen.

No deus ex solutions or random twists that come out of nowhere.

No impossible magic outside of established lore that makes previous storytelling irrelevant.

So far, no glaring oversights that make the story irrelevant, such as Amy's pointing out how irrelevant Indiana Jones was in Raiders of the Lost Arc.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    For a moment I thought they announced a new series about the Andorians.
    Ditto.

The origins of words that sound made up, like Vulcan (God of War) and Andor, often surprise me.

Where does the name Andor come from?
    The name Andor is boy's name of Hungarian origin meaning "manly". Unusual but accessible multi-cultural choice. In Greek culture, one of many variations of Andreas, including Androu and Ander.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    But Vulcan's not a war god - that's Mars. Vulcan is identified with Hephaestus, and like him is a god of the forge - necessary for warriors to do their job, but forges have peacetime uses too. (That's why the hottest desert on Vulcan is called the Forge.) Unlike Hephaestus, Vulcan's legs weren't damaged in battle, but other than that they're pretty similar.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I think we can BOTH write books about them. lol

Although if you think about it... I can name two characters who have been in far more movies. Artoo and 3PO.

R2D2 is the hero of every movie. :)
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    He's the hero of half the episodes of The Clone Wars too. The CGI version, not the animated one...though he was probably heavily involved in that one too - I wouldn't know, I've never seen it.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.