What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ten Forward Weekly 10/18/22

protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
From: https://reddit.com/r/sto/comments/y7ps7u/ten_forward_weekly_101822/

Credit to: https://reddit.com/user/TheSajuukKhar/
  • Discovery Far From Home lockbox will join the Infinity Box later this year
  • Vanity shield galleries for new ship blogs were stopped due to time issues. It took several hours to make for each ship
  • New ENT-F bridge will be made playable at some point, Kael is pushing for it to happen soon
  • Marshal Janeway will not return in this storyline
  • The next story update, coming with the anniversary update, will be the end of the Terran arc
  • Cryptic is looking into keyboard controls being fixed on consoles. Kael has no definitive answer either way
  • Winter event will start and end on console the same days it does for PC. Kael doesn't have the exact dates for that on him
  • The new ship bundle will appear on consoles soon
  • Kael believes DOFFs are still faction divided due to old coding from how the game used to be more faction divided. Will ask about possibly having that changed
  • Kael doesn't know what the next story arc after the Terran arc will be. He knows Al Rivera has ideas, but they haven't gotten that far into it to have something actually planned
  • Kael thinks its unlikely they will continue using the voice box thing for possible player character voice acting due to players saying that isn't how they imagine their character sounding. If STO was starting development today Kael would push for voiced PC/BOFFs, but that isn't what this game is
  • Kael doesn't know when the updated Connie skins will be added. Will likely just show up in an update this week unless Thomas writes a blog to promote it
  • TOS characters can't be Caitain likely because the animated series rights were still an issue then. Isn't as easy as just setting a flag and Caitains are now playable on TOS faction
  • Kael would have to ask, pretty early in the year, about/get production to schedule a time to make an in-game event if they do fleet week again next year
  • More likely to see old event rewards being added to Phoenix/Mudds then events being re-run
  • Kael will check to see if Cryptic an just make KDF Lower Decks DOFFs or if that needs approval from someone
  • We will find out what else is in the upcoming bundle on a blog on Thursday
  • Terran option for new players unlikely because not as many people like playing evil characters, and its unlikely they will be making new tutorials in the future
  • Character race/species/gender swap is something Cryptic is working on, but its slow
  • Kael doesn't have the data on if the TFO/patrols for the Halloween event are more popular, but suspects its the TFO since you only have to play it once to get daily credit
  • No plans to completely overhaul ground combat, but there might be tweaks here and there
  • Kael doesn't know why the transmutation charm only lasts 1 minute with a 1 min cooldown. He assumes its some sort of balance reason
  • Kael would like to see a KDF-DOM Alliance ship, something like a small fighter thing
  • New fleet changes will come on console when Season 27 is added on November 1st
  • Kael passed along infinity lockbox pain points from twitter thread to systems, and to the rest of the team. QA is looking into that if you open a 2nd box it doesn't remember your previous selection, and Jeremy is looking into the possibility of making weapon choice packs a choice pack instead of random, but no promises
  • Kael thinks porting over Champions' Nemesis system to STO would be very difficult, not sure how they would do it
  • Kael would like to interview Kate Mulgrew if they did another fleet week
  • Kael would like to have the Lower Decks crew, and/or Patrick Stewart, in STO when asked who he would most like to see in STO
  • Kael has passed along the request to make zooms closer on console
  • We will be seeing SNW Romulan ships/costume
  • FPS issues on Xbox has already been fixed, and the team is working on fixing the other issues
  • Kael will pass on the idea of having past event ships being added to the campaign event reward pool for next year
  • No Bajoran stories planned for right now
  • Kael will pass along critical care accolade being broken
  • There is a reason why some ships can go without the abbreviations like USS/ISS, and why some are forced to have it
  • Nothing yet on the old Klingon War missions being re-added. Kael has more hope on them being re-added, but nothing specific
  • Kael will pass along possibly getting a SS prefix added to Oberths since several Oberths used it
  • Uniforms are harder to get to than ships due to the size of the character team. Kael has informed them that players want the Picard 2385 uniform
  • No news on giving elite BOFFs captain pips/rank
  • Kael isn't sure if Brent Spiner has ever been approached for VA work for STO. Everyone showing up in Picard S3 is kinda touchy for Cryptic to use right now because they cant step on PIC S3's stories
  • Cryptic doesn't know what is going to happen with the ENT-F story in PIC S3. Kael doesn't think we will see Shon/Shon will be captain of the ENT-F
  • Odyssey remaster will become available when it shows up in PIC S3
  • Unlikely we will see Shatner in STO any time soon
  • NPCs on DS9 likely run/do jumping jacks because they're cycling through a group of animations
  • Kael thinks Avery Brooks voice over work would be awesome. Cryptic has heard first that he was retired, and then that he wasn't, but Hollywood was blacklisting him. Kael doesn't know, and thinks getting a hold of him is difficult, but they would love to have him
  • No plans for a Constitution class in the zen store right now
  • Kael was always amused by the bug where putting on a beard made your character invisible. Cryptic left in a bug that lets you throw tribbles at the DS9 dartboard because it was too funny to remove
  • Kael would like to see the hunter guy from this season of Lower Decks added to STO
  • Kael will pass along request to have Embassy Boffs use faction uniforms
  • Kael asks if people would possibly be interested in buying Borgifed versions of classic ship(someone was taling about it in chat)
  • Little chance we will ever be able to command ships from the bridge
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    The next story update, coming with the anniversary update, will be the end of the Terran arc

Kael doesn't know what the next story arc after the Terran arc will be. He knows Al Rivera has ideas, but they haven't gotten that far into it to have something actually planned

I'm happy it'll be over soon. I just don't care about the MU/Terran empire at all.

I find it strange that they don't know what the next storyline will be though. The Anniversary update isn't that far away, surely they have at least picked some favourites for the next general direction to move into from the ideas they have?
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    Kael doesn't have the data on if the TFO/patrols for the Halloween event are more popular, but suspects its the TFO since you only have to play it once to get daily credit

I can get credit from doing two patrols easily twice as fast as the average group can do the event TFO, and I suspect if more players switched over, that ratio would only get more lopsided, since the players remaining would trend towards the same group of lazy/awful players who makes everyone else's experience miserable enough to switch to the patrols. A feedback loop, if you will.

These last days the TFO could be completed a lot faster than the first day or so.

I've done it only once every day so that's only a handful of instances, but these last days there were always people on the team with stuff like the hurricane device and the gravity containment one. Multiple players lighting candles, few people just mindlessly shooting enemies that are immune.

You may want to give it another try.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    The next story update, coming with the anniversary update, will be the end of the Terran arc

Kael doesn't know what the next story arc after the Terran arc will be. He knows Al Rivera has ideas, but they haven't gotten that far into it to have something actually planned

I'm happy it'll be over soon. I just don't care about the MU/Terran empire at all.

I find it strange that they don't know what the next storyline will be though. The Anniversary update isn't that far away, surely they have at least picked some favourites for the next general direction to move into from the ideas they have?

Remember that they tend to work months ahead of where things are at. Right now, they're likely in the stages of getting the Terran arc finale ready to build.

The next arc would likely be coming in a spring update. That's usually April or May so that could be half a year away.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    ...The next arc would likely be coming in a spring update. That's usually April or May so that could be half a year away.
    Funny...they have always claimed they usually plan things out 1 year ahead. That should mean yes, they are working on the final part of the Terran Arc, but they should also know/have an idea of what is next up after that, and start some discussion of 'fleshing it out' to the point they can start work once the Terran finale content is out.

Guess they are slowing their work pace across the board, or someone dropped the ball.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options

Remember that they tend to work months ahead of where things are at. Right now, they're likely in the stages of getting the Terran arc finale ready to build.

The next arc would likely be coming in a spring update. That's usually April or May so that could be half a year away.
    ...The next arc would likely be coming in a spring update. That's usually April or May so that could be half a year away.
    Funny...they have always claimed they usually plan things out 1 year ahead. That should mean yes, they are working on the final part of the Terran Arc, but they should also know/have an idea of what is next up after that, and start some discussion of 'fleshing it out' to the point they can start work once the Terran finale content is out.

Guess they are slowing their work pace across the board, or someone dropped the ball.

That's what I was thinking. They have said before that they developed their ideas much more in advance.

• Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    > @vegeta50024 said:
    > Remember that they tend to work months ahead of where things are at. Right now, they're likely in the stages of getting the Terran arc finale ready to build.
    >
    > The next arc would likely be coming in a spring update. That's usually April or May so that could be half a year away.

Yeah but that is not what they said during the Year of Klingon. They claimed they had the story ready years in advance. It makes sense though. They grind out their projects for 2 or 3 months, they don’t really have the staff to leisurely think about every step after that. And just because Kael isn’t aware of the plan, it doesn’t mean the team is not close to deciding at least the broad strokes of what is next.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    It could also be that things involving current Star Trek shows may be throwing a wrench in some plans. After all, word is that they had intended to do a Mirror arc right after the Gamma arc, but then they got the go ahead for some Discovery related stuff. So while they may have an idea of what they wanna do, its possible that things are still somewhat fluid.

There is also the detail of "We don't talk about unreleased content".
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    The TFO is definitely faster now than it was when the event started, the problem is that it gets so rushed that most of the time now few people bother with any of the optional objectives (like revealing the cats), so the average score and marks reward tend to be smaller (not to mention annoyingly inefficient).
  • Options
    proteus#8097 proteus Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    After the first couple of days I went the two patrol route. No waiting for a TFO to populate, no countdown at the start to wait for, nobody else's visual spam, just my own. Quicker for me, no waiting and the skeletons come straight to you instead of hanging around in the dark for too long.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    ...and the skeletons come straight to you instead of hanging around in the dark for too long.

Usually. Sometime their AI just goes completely nuts. Then it's anyone's guess what they'll do. Teleport. Run away. Freeze in place. I've seen them do it all. Thankfully, it tends to be just one and is easy enough to round up and finish off.

It's fine by me, since skeltons and zombies are not known for being intelligent, anyhow.
    And I like enemies that are unpredictable. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    For future stories....I'd say look through the older missions, and work from there. Also, I HOPE we get the older missions back.....for things don't feel 'streamlined, more like 'abridged', and to hell with that Discovery or Picard say or establishes....I liked the older missions that got taken out.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Kael doesn't have the data on if the TFO/patrols for the Halloween event are more popular, but suspects its the TFO since you only have to play it once to get daily credit

I can get credit from doing two patrols easily twice as fast as the average group can do the event TFO, and I suspect if more players switched over, that ratio would only get more lopsided, since the players remaining would trend towards the same group of lazy/awful players who makes everyone else's experience miserable enough to switch to the patrols. A feedback loop, if you will.

These last days the TFO could be completed a lot faster than the first day or so.

I've done it only once every day so that's only a handful of instances, but these last days there were always people on the team with stuff like the hurricane device and the gravity containment one. Multiple players lighting candles, few people just mindlessly shooting enemies that are immune.

Maybe it's just the time I try these but I rarely get bad instances on the TFO, sure it's not never but still most of the time it's not as bad makes me wonder if it's a US only issue as most of the time I do these when people from USA are sleeping.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I could have sworn that the the USS Wayfarer captained by Captain Bucephalus Dagger (Boimler) in 'Crisis Point 2' was an Odyssey class.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    I could have sworn that the the USS Wayfarer captained by Captain Bucephalus Dagger (Boimler) in 'Crisis Point 2' was an Odyssey class.

I'm pretty sure that was a Sovereign
  • Options

Can it compete with 6-7 minutes total and predictably routine ~90% of the time? Because that's the two-patrol route for me.

I haven't really kept track of the time that closely. It might be a few minutes more than that to be honest.

I haven't played the patrols myself, but I don't find the TFO to take up too much time for an event mission anymore. That's subjective, I know.

• Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    protoneous wrote: »
    From: https://reddit.com/r/sto/comments/y7ps7u/ten_forward_weekly_101822/

Credit to: https://reddit.com/user/TheSajuukKhar/
    • Kael doesn't know what the next story arc after the Terran arc will be. He knows Al Rivera has ideas, but they haven't gotten that far into it to have something actually planned
    • Kael thinks its unlikely they will continue using the voice box thing for possible player character voice acting due to players saying that isn't how they imagine their character sounding. If STO was starting development today Kael would push for voiced PC/BOFFs, but that isn't what this game is
    • TOS characters can't be Caitain likely because the animated series rights were still an issue then. Isn't as easy as just setting a flag and Caitains are now playable on TOS faction
    • Terran option for new players unlikely because not as many people like playing evil characters, and its unlikely they will be making new tutorials in the future
    • Character race/species/gender swap is something Cryptic is working on, but its slow

• Kael would like to see a KDF-DOM Alliance ship, something like a small fighter thing

• Kael thinks porting over Champions' Nemesis system to STO would be very difficult, not sure how they would do it
    • Kael would like to have the Lower Decks crew, and/or Patrick Stewart, in STO when asked who he would most like to see in STO
    • We will be seeing SNW Romulan ships/costume
    • No Bajoran stories planned for right now
    • There is a reason why some ships can go without the abbreviations like USS/ISS, and why some are forced to have it
    • Nothing yet on the old Klingon War missions being re-added. Kael has more hope on them being re-added, but nothing specific
    • Uniforms are harder to get to than ships due to the size of the character team. Kael has informed them that players want the Picard 2385 uniform
    • No news on giving elite BOFFs captain pips/rank
    • Kael isn't sure if Brent Spiner has ever been approached for VA work for STO. Everyone showing up in Picard S3 is kinda touchy for Cryptic to use right now because they cant step on PIC S3's stories
    • Cryptic doesn't know what is going to happen with the ENT-F story in PIC S3. Kael doesn't think we will see Shon/Shon will be captain of the ENT-F
    • Unlikely we will see Shatner in STO any time soon
    • Kael thinks Avery Brooks voice over work would be awesome. Cryptic has heard first that he was retired, and then that he wasn't, but Hollywood was blacklisting him. Kael doesn't know, and thinks getting a hold of him is difficult, but they would love to have him
    • Kael would like to see the hunter guy from this season of Lower Decks added to STO
    • Kael asks if people would possibly be interested in buying Borgifed versions of classic ship(someone was talking about it in chat)
    • Little chance we will ever be able to command ships from the bridge

sounds good,

I don't mind the voice box,

shame about TOS Caitians,

shame about no new faction tutorials, they were the best content,

I would like a character race/species/gender swap made for BOFFS, specifically Tovan Khev.

the KDF-DOM Alliance ship sounds badass

porting over Champions' Nemesis system to STO would be very cool

Lower Decks and Picard would be great additions,

SNW Romulan ships and costumes seem great,

since there's No Bajoran stories, what about Cardassian Stories then,

I would love to see the return of the old Klingon War missions,

Picard uniforms seems good,

Captain pips for boffs seem cool,

I would love to see Brent Spinner in STO but Picard killed off Data and B4, only characters left are Lore and Noonian Soong's lame human son, who's name I forgot.

Shon might get demoted

kind of oblivious with Shatner, Kirk is dead and there some history between Shatner and Cryptic, plus there's his price range,

TRIBBLE Hollywood, get Avery Brooks on here ASAP,

Hunter guy was pretty neat hunting down Bold Boimler,

what about Borgifed versions of Vulcan Ships

Little chance we will ever be able to command ships from the bridge well... duh, game wasn't made for that plus there's the whole untangling the spaghetti code that's required to make it work at all.

Edit: I just noticed I forgot put the word The between There's and Whole in the last sentence, I just hate making mistakes especially when it comes to typing.
    Post edited by paradox#7391 on
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    While there are no plans to make new tutorials it would be great if they fixed the Dominion one so that Vorta could be made playable in the faction they are supposed to be from instead of having to make them in the other three factions.

As it is that faction is entirely niche, and many players have objections to it which makes things like Gamma recruit event so much less popular that it is visibly missing any of the upswing the other recruitments show on tracking sites like the mmo-population site.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    While there are no plans to make new tutorials it would be great if they fixed the Dominion one so that Vorta could be made playable in the faction they are supposed to be from instead of having to make them in the other three factions.

As it is that faction is entirely niche, and many players have objections to it which makes things like Gamma recruit event so much less popular that it is visibly missing any of the upswing the other recruitments show on tracking sites like the mmo-population site.

I agree, you hit the nail on the head, the "Dominion" faction only covers a small group, I know the Jemmies don't really have a gender, however the male form is clearly not a very popular body type when it comes to MMOs, most people seem to play as female characters, where as select few like me who happens to play male characters most of the time and even then honestly I would have perferred Vortas and Changelings over Jemmies, Jemmies are nice to look at but lack personality, I mean with changelings you can cover their shapdshifting by having access to every tailor option which makes them be a more advanced alien gen but with one less trait and they go into a goo form for limited amount of time, which could be race exclusive trait.
This discussion has been closed.