test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

75 years ago today, the Future began- Mach 1

vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
October 14, 1947 Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier and began Man's steps to the stars.

syj07ib5k72h.png
Spock.jpg

Comments

• Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,004 Arc User
    As we all knew back then, the sound barrier was something that couldn't be broken.
    Then we broke it.
    It's never been the same since...
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    Hm, I'm not sure why people are so eager to see the Yeager class in-game.

Glennis doesn't look all that glamorous to me. A bit archaic even. If the rest of the class looks just like her, I think we can do without it.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    Hm, I'm not sure why people are so eager to see the Yeager class in-game.

Glennis doesn't look all that glamorous to me. A bit archaic even. If the rest of the class looks just like her, I think we can do without it.

The draw of the Yeager-class is that it is a bit out of the usual design envelope but still looks Trek, it was specifically built for the Dominion war which was probably the most popular arc in Trek, and for history buffs it channels the realworld WWII 'kitbash' ships started as civilian models but converted to warships partway through their construction.

The latter goes a long way to pointing out just how desperate the Federation's situation was during the early-to-mid parts of that war, shows how lax they had gotten with fleet strengths, and highlights the spirit, ingenuity, and resilience of the Federation, and that subtle reference to the WWII situation adds depth to the conflict in DS9.

And before the inevitable "its a ridiculous out of scale mashup!" thing come up, there were no 'scale errors' because the secondary hull was not a 'marquis raider', it was that freighter that used the same shooting model in a one or two second shot at the end of a communication in one of the episodes.

Star Trek used expensive physical models for a long time, and so very often reused those models with slight detail changes (or sometimes not so slight) to represent a lot of similar-looking but different ships. Just look at the Bird of Prey line of ships, everything from a tiny scout with a crew of twelve up to a battlecruiser that was a serious threat to Galaxy class and D'Deridex-class ships.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    I mean, technically the steps began years earlier with Wernher von Braun's work on rocketry before and during WW2 - it was he who became one of the cornerstones of the US Space Program, after all.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.