test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The other Star Trek show that almost was...

bjorjlen#6464 bjorjlen Member Posts: 132 Arc User
edited September 2022 in Ten Forward
Having been a Star Trek fan since like, forever, I have been watching a lot of old Star Trek shows that I once enjoyed with my sister many, many years ago. And low and behold, I recently discovered that there was another Star Trek show that was in pseudo production, but unfortunately never saw the final light of day. This show was called "Final Frontier", and it was a animated Star Trek show that while going in a whole new direction, actually looked fairly cool. And so, to celebrate the upcoming Star Trek Day, may I present you with this gift...

https://youtu.be/briYOxhjTNk

Peace...
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    If I remember correctly it was to follow a new Enterprise in a galaxy devastated by Omega detonations, where vast regions of space were affected, and they had special craft for going through those areas.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    What must that officer be compensating for with that phaser? It looks like a tribble.
  • Options
    bjorjlen#6464 bjorjlen Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly it was to follow a new Enterprise in a galaxy devastated by Omega detonations, where vast regions of space were affected, and they had special craft for going through those areas.

You nailed it... 😁

Peace...
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User

Sounds eerily similar to the plot of Discovery's 3rd season, you don't think that they recycled the plot and then added their own little twist at the end?
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited September 2022

Sounds eerily similar to the plot of Discovery's 3rd season, you don't think that they recycled the plot and then added their own little twist at the end?

I would not be surprised if that is what they did, Hollywood feeds on itself a lot like that.

A good example of that kind of thing is the new Lost In Space, which is heavily based on what has been called the worst series pilot ever produced (named The Robinsons: Lost In Space and was produced in the early 2000s) mixed with a heaping dose of the 1998 movie. In this particular case it actually worked out and was mildly watchable even though it was not great, which is the best you can say about DSC S3 too.
  • Options
    While DSC s3 does have some similar vibes, and Star Trek does like to give new life to ideas that weren't used (Many unused concept ships were recycled as new ships entirely after all, including the Crossfield class), wouldn't say that Omega was involved.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    While DSC s3 does have some similar vibes, and Star Trek does like to give new life to ideas that weren't used (Many unused concept ships were recycled as new ships entirely after all, including the Crossfield class), wouldn't say that Omega was involved.

What about Concept Spock apparently he was a Martian with red skin and a plate on his stomach that let he absorb energy, it could still be reused for a Martian race, just say they're isolationist and nomadic culture that's warp capable but prefers to keep to themselves regarding galactic affairs.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User

I would not be surprised if that is what they did, Hollywood feeds on itself a lot like that.
    Roddenberry fed on himself a lot like that, too. Look up all his show proposals that featured a hero named Dylan Hunt, for instance, some of which were recycled later into new ideas.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    Roddenberry fed on himself a lot like that, too. Look up all his show proposals that featured a hero named Dylan Hunt, for instance, some of which were recycled later into new ideas.

Well... he got it in Andromeda, even if it was ultimately after the fact.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

Well... he got it in Andromeda, even if it was ultimately after the fact.
    And oddly, that's also the one that was based on the idea of "far in the future, the Federation has fallen...". Wolfe switched up some stuff, but it's still recognizably Gene's own idea, just with slipstream drive (no relation to quantum slipstream) substituted for warp drive (and a few other changes - Robert Heinlein once said that there are no truly original ideas, and that a writer's job was to file off the serial numbers, change the body lines a bit, and get it across the state line before anyone noticed).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png