test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Recreating Original Tutorial BOFFs

commadersetekcommadersetek Member Posts: 45 Arc User
Hey guys,

remember the old tutorial before Elisa Flores, etc. were introduced where you'd beam over to the U.S.S. Renown and get to take an Andorian Tactical officer with you who ends up being your first officer?
I want to recreate her and wanted to ask if anyone still has her in their BOFF-roster or a saved outfit of her somewhere and wouldn't mind sharing the specs with me? I uploaded a picture of her of a YouTube let's play of the old tutorial.

u0e7blz7xlnu.png

I did some research and if the STO Wiki is correct, she had either one of the following names: Corspa, Nesza, Shelana, Takerra, Tala, Tallasa or Thryiss. [This is the Wiki link to her character: https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Tactical_Duty_Officer ]

It would just be a nostalgic feeling back to the old days to have her back in my crew and I was dumb enough to delete her once we got T'Vrell and Flores.

Thanks in advance and see you guys in game!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    millefune#8468 millefune Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    I accidentally dismissed Kolez on my first character, and regret it. I mean, I guess it's okay...since he wasn't actually part of my character's graduating class... but I still want him back. I wish there was a way to "reclaim" all the tutorial BOFFs as long as we don't have them in our roster, like how we're able to reclaim K'Gan at the Klingon Academy.
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    I wish there was away to get rid of Tovan. STO's attempt at making a first officer that is even more annoying than Chakotay.
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I have her but I think i messed with her look too much. she doesn't look like that image

corspa2.jpg
    Corspa1.jpg
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    I still have Tala on my main that was made about 10 or so years ago.
    garaffe wrote: »
    I wish there was away to get rid of Tovan. STO's attempt at making a first officer that is even more annoying than Chakotay.

No I'm pretty sure it was more an attempt at a more immersive narrative for the early Romulan missions. Something that was improved later with Flores when they revamped the Fed tutorial.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,526 Arc User
    Tovan is not a bad character; he actually adds depth to the game on the story level with his connections and subthreads. Most of the people who do not like the character seem to do so because that storytelling structure is unusual in games since it takes a little bit of the spotlight off of the player character.

On the other hand, it is a great way to do a more contemplative captain who keeps their XO on a looser leash in order to see what weaknesses might be revealed in the enemy in reaction to the hothead by playing the "good cop" to the XO's "bad cop" (Kirk often did that).

Of course, I can see how the players who like the "bad cop" role for themselves might be annoyed by that structure. It might be less of an issue if there were a few more default 'open' slots to make room for SROs or whatever for the people who prefer game mechanics "roll playing" over roleplaying without having to buy the slots though (and yes, it is a minor expense, but optics are important and all that).

Personally, I wish the game had more of that kind of story multithreading involving the core boffs and their various histories, personalities, talents, and quirks. Then again, I prefer the "open world" style of questing over the kind of highly linear structure the game used to have (though the fact that the skip button actually works now helps a bit with that), and open world style is best done with that kind of multithreading.
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    My only issue with Tovan is the voice. We could be at a massive party and as soon as he would open his gob, the life would get sucked out of the room. He's like a less enthusiastic Lloyd Grossman.

He's even dreary sounding when we find his sister finally.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,482 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    I have Takerra but I did not check what I did with her in the tailor and I might have done nothing to her. As for Kolez, I think one of my characters has him but many don't due to being short on BOFF slots when you first start especially when I was free-to-play which I am not anymore as well as not really into Saurians, though the DSC ones would be a cool variant. Also, have Thor the Andorian and on the Romulan Republic, Tovan Khev.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,369 Arc User
    ...a Section-31 Operative...
    Frankly, if I find a S31 operative on my ship, the airlock's getting a workout. And that goes double for the ships captained by Fleet Admiral Tovan Khev.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    I accidentally dismissed Kolez on my first character, and regret it. I mean, I guess it's okay...since he wasn't actually part of my character's graduating class... but I still want him back. I wish there was a way to "reclaim" all the tutorial BOFFs as long as we don't have them in our roster, like how we're able to reclaim K'Gan at the Klingon Academy.

You can save Kolez' look on a character that still has him and the outfit should be saved account wide, I believe.
  • Options
    nixie50 wrote: »
    I have her but I think i messed with her look too much. she doesn't look like that image

corspa2.jpg
    Corspa1.jpg

Maybe the character just looks different now because Taylor options changed over the years? I don't think eyes can be as big as the first officer's anymore for example lol.
    Thanks for checking though, really appreciate it!
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I still have Tala on my main that was made about 10 or so years ago.
    garaffe wrote: »

No I'm pretty sure it was more an attempt at a more immersive narrative for the early Romulan missions. Something that was improved later with Flores when they revamped the Fed tutorial.

Could you maybe send me or post the specs of her stats in the taylor here? Would really appreciate it! :)
  • Options
    sthe91 wrote: »
    I have Takerra but I did not check what I did with her in the tailor and I might have done nothing to her. As for Kolez, I think one of my characters has him but many don't due to being short on BOFF slots when you first start especially when I was free-to-play which I am not anymore as well as not really into Saurians, though the DSC ones would be a cool variant. Also, have Thor the Andorian and on the Romulan Republic, Tovan Khev.

If she's still the same could you maybe send me her specs in the Taylor? Thanks!
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    Could you maybe send me or post the specs of her stats in the taylor here? Would really appreciate it! :)

I have tweaked her a bit over the years, but I think I pretty much kept the same hair, although now its v2 hair. Pretty sure I made her bust size a lot bigger than default.

I mean I've had her for at least 10 years...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    I think I have a Thryss. Might be her, I have to check when I get home.

EDIT: I attached the costume file and a screenshot, I think I changed the hair but not much else [img]http://asterpw.github.io/pwicons/emotes/pig-1.gif[/img]​​
    Post edited by angrytarg on
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,482 Arc User
    It has been awhile since I looked at Takerra and apparently I had done a lot of modifications on her. She is wearing the S1 Picard uniform and not the default uniform which probably would have been Sierra at the time and not the later Odyssey. Here are the screenshots if still interested:

a1hh3qw79nmm.png

2hbwmqgsvyxa.png

ul75wdmqztxh.png

38qjw7vpbncj.png

ypz5e2jej3u0.png

fdauvlk6dtcl.png

rqjtryqb160t.png

715xc3elidpt.png

8pc23lsc0nnq.png

49a1vjnc6dp5.png
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    Tovan is not a bad character; he actually adds depth to the game on the story level with his connections and subthreads. Most of the people who do not like the character seem to do so because that storytelling structure is unusual in games since it takes a little bit of the spotlight off of the player character.

On the other hand, it is a great way to do a more contemplative captain who keeps their XO on a looser leash in order to see what weaknesses might be revealed in the enemy in reaction to the hothead by playing the "good cop" to the XO's "bad cop" (Kirk often did that).

Of course, I can see how the players who like the "bad cop" role for themselves might be annoyed by that structure. It might be less of an issue if there were a few more default 'open' slots to make room for SROs or whatever for the people who prefer game mechanics "roll playing" over roleplaying without having to buy the slots though (and yes, it is a minor expense, but optics are important and all that).

Personally, I wish the game had more of that kind of story multithreading involving the core boffs and their various histories, personalities, talents, and quirks. Then again, I prefer the "open world" style of questing over the kind of highly linear structure the game used to have (though the fact that the skip button actually works now helps a bit with that), and open world style is best done with that kind of multithreading.

That would be fine if the game gave you 9 boffs slots of your own choosing, plus the original boffs who get assigned to you and can *upgrade* over the course of story arcs, becoming legitimately valuable boffs in their own right, both for ground and space assignments. The issue is that the number of free boff slots is limited enough that assembling a bridge and away team just to your liking *requires* dismissing those original boffs, most often because they are all pretty subpar to begin with and never get any better.

There really should be 'faction' versions of every space and ground trait -- maybe not for every race, but every faction should have access to a race that has comparable versions of all traits. Like a Section-31 Operative and KDF-Intelligence Operative versions of Superior Romulan Operative.

Off-topic, but I agree with most of this.

Every BOFF should be standardized in the sense of having the same number of space and ground skills. 1 space skill and 3 ground skills seems like a reasonable norm.

That still allows for a player liking some BOFF(s) better in a space or ground role, but it doesn't relegate any BOFF strictly to one or the other in terms of maximizing ability. A Human would be as valuable on the ground as an Andorian, Tellarite, or Vulcan, and conversely that Andorian, Tellarite, and Vulcan would be as valuable in space as that Human BOFF.

Also, yes, I have long thought that getting green BOFFs in the tutorial is a bit of a waste. I mean, they all have their part to play in the early story for your Captain of whatever era/faction, but T'Met, for example, the Vulcan science officer obtained by TOS Captains in their tutorial, is inferior to any purple or even blue quality BOFF that you can find later.

You can record her appearance info and clone her if you want to. The only reason to use her over a higher-quality BOFF is because you really like her traits over whatever the substitute offers, but there is going to be another BOFF that offers the same, or mostly the same, traits and at a higher quality than T'Met can give you.

Making BOFFs promotable would be ideal, but Cryptic may not see the value in developing the system. After all, purple BOFFs of many types are cheap on the exchange. Only a select few races command "high" prices and many of those are based on some hard-to-find traits. How much is someone willing to pay in terms of dilithium or even Zen in order to make a green BOFF blue and then however much more to turn a blue into a purple when they can get a purple for a few thousand EC, and sometimes even less?
  • Options
    sthe91 wrote: »
    It has been awhile since I looked at Takerra and apparently I had done a lot of modifications on her. She is wearing the S1 Picard uniform and not the default uniform which probably would have been Sierra at the time and not the later Odyssey. Here are the screenshots if still interested:

a1hh3qw79nmm.png

2hbwmqgsvyxa.png

ul75wdmqztxh.png

38qjw7vpbncj.png

ypz5e2jej3u0.png

fdauvlk6dtcl.png

rqjtryqb160t.png

715xc3elidpt.png

8pc23lsc0nnq.png

49a1vjnc6dp5.png

Thank you so much, that's amazing!!
This discussion has been closed.