What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Reflections of Empire

2»

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Hm, that sounds like it's not a great change.

Having a boss that you can keep shooting at for a long time was actually nice, and challenging. Now it sounds like it's just shooting for a couple of seconds - like so many other enemies in basically all other missions - and then just flying hence and forth to beam over teams.

It's not like the average team really needs five players defending DS9 (even though that's what most people erroneously seemed to think during the portal closure phase) but that will be the only way to keep shooting stuff then.

Sounds like they basically just removed a task, forcing more players to do the same thing. That's disappointing. I actually like missions where you can choose to do different things and I imagine that that's the case for many - especially lower-DPS - PUGging players, because it gives everyone an opportunity to contribute without having to be around the occasional player who destroys everything before someone else can fire.

Not exactly. Terok Nor still takes a while to batter down. And honestly it looked like a few more ships would spawn with each group when the station was disabled. Also... it works both ways. DS9 also won't self rez if you ignore her. Also I saw at least two instances of Terok Nor trying to repair, as in her health regen increased.
    But this was only the first run on the first day. Others may have noticed other things. But on the bright side, if you do have a high DPS group, you're not going to constantly hear Leeta calling for repairs, declaring we'll face the wrath of the Terran Empire, than immediately call for repairs again.
    I've had runs where it was almost a constant cycle in the past. Did get annoying.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Having a boss that you can keep shooting at for a long time was actually nice, and challenging. Now it sounds like it's just shooting for a couple of seconds - like so many other enemies in basically all other missions - and then just flying hence and forth to beam over teams.

It's not like the average team really needs five players defending DS9 (even though that's what most people erroneously seemed to think during the portal closure phase) but that will be the only way to keep shooting stuff then.

Sounds like they basically just removed a task, forcing more players to do the same thing. That's disappointing. I actually like missions where you can choose to do different things and I imagine that that's the case for many - especially lower-DPS - PUGging players, because it gives everyone an opportunity to contribute without having to be around the occasional player who destroys everything before someone else can fire.

Not exactly. Terok Nor still takes a while to batter down. And honestly it looked like a few more ships would spawn with each group when the station was disabled. Also... it works both ways. DS9 also won't self rez if you ignore her. Also I saw at least two instances of Terok Nor trying to repair, as in her health regen increased.
    But this was only the first run on the first day. Others may have noticed other things. But on the bright side, if you do have a high DPS group, you're not going to constantly hear Leeta calling for repairs, declaring we'll face the wrath of the Terran Empire, than immediately call for repairs again.
    I've had runs where it was almost a constant cycle in the past. Did get annoying.
    Yeah the constant self-ressing turned that TFO into unintentional comedy, because Terok Nor was disabled more or less instantly after getting up.

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

Yeah the constant self-ressing turned that TFO into unintentional comedy, because Terok Nor was disabled more or less instantly after getting up.

That only happens because someone's shooting it though. Taking away the ability to do that removes options for players to focus on. Unnecessarily so, in my opinion.

They could have simply changed things so that Leeta only says 'make repairs' (and the rest of her lines) the first time it is disabled, combine it with a marker that shows up on top of Terok Nor at the same time - and then only show that marker the rest of the times the station gets disabled.

That would have solved the issue too. As far as it was an issue, because personally it never bothered me. Leeta's constant running away from fights and then taunting the player again meant that the character never seemed like one to be taken serious anyway.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    That only happens because someone's shooting it though. Taking away the ability to do that removes options for players to focus on. Unnecessarily so, in my opinion.

I... must be missing something. The ships still keep spawning around Terok Nor, so there's still plenty to shoot at. But it almost sounds like you want it to self rez, but... don't want people shooting it?
    You can still ferry strike teams over, you can still shoot ships either around Terok Nor or DS9...
    We just don't have the self rez to try and push the average HP down for a few extra marks while listening to Leeta taunt us about the Wrath of the Terran Empire every 15 seconds.

And as for the marker... we got people complaining about "visual spam" already, and most of the time they're focusing on combat. It was hard enough trying to do that one Klingon TFO with trying to make the two Dreadnoughts shoot each other with markers. Hate to say it but you really think they'd notice one above Terok Nor?

IMO it feels just a bit more streamlined, and I don't mind knocking Terok Nor out of the fight. Plenty of other targets around.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited March 2022

I... must be missing something. The ships still keep spawning around Terok Nor, so there's still plenty to shoot at. But it almost sounds like you want it to self rez, but... don't want people shooting it?
    You can still ferry strike teams over, you can still shoot ships either around Terok Nor or DS9...
    We just don't have the self rez to try and push the average HP down for a few extra marks while listening to Leeta taunt us about the Wrath of the Terran Empire every 15 seconds.

And as for the marker... we got people complaining about "visual spam" already, and most of the time they're focusing on combat. It was hard enough trying to do that one Klingon TFO with trying to make the two Dreadnoughts shoot each other with markers. Hate to say it but you really think they'd notice one above Terok Nor?

IMO it feels just a bit more streamlined, and I don't mind knocking Terok Nor out of the fight. Plenty of other targets around.

I don't want everyone to be shooting at it - but players should have the option to do it.

One of the most serious issues I encounter in PUGS is that there isn't enough to shoot at. Counterpoint (and missions like Borg Disconnected) has the benefit that there are multiple things for players to focus on - in these missions, watching someone blow up everything is less of an issue because there are sufficient other things to do / things to shoot at. Taking away one of the more interesting targets isn't helpful in that regard.

A marker might not be noticed by everyone. It was just an example, I'm sure we can think of other solutions that solve the 'Leeta being annoying'-issue without removing one of the more interesting enemies from, for a significant part of, the mission. Maybe it wouldn't even be necessary at all, since selecting Terok Nor would also show that it's at 25%.

And to be fair, I'd be fine with players not noticing the marker. I merely proposed its inclusion because people were complaining about Leeta's aural spam and a marker might be less annoying but still convey the same message. A message that seems like something the Devs considered important back when they created this TFO. If it isn't that important, I'm fine with them leaving it out, cutting the constant audio from Leeta. I just don't see the point of also removing an interesting target from the mission.

It simply seems unnecessary and overkill to cut an end boss out of a significant part of a mission because the audio was annoying (a viewpoint which I, for the record, certainly don't disagree with). It's almost like removing exploration clusters because you don't want players to have easy access to the particle nodes contained therein...

Maybe the Devs themselves saw a good reason why this approach was needed or better - but I certainly hope their reason is something better than 'the audio was annoying'. ;)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options

Maybe the Devs themselves saw a good reason why this approach was needed or better - but I certainly hope their reason is something better than 'the audio was annoying'. ;)

I think it was part of the streamlining process, and cutting down the audio spam just happened to be a side effect or something. It doesn't quite feel as long as it used to be. And it wasn't just Terok Nor that was tweaked in mechanics. DS9 also, for all intents and purposes, has a single health pool. Overall the flow of the TFO is the same. But I swear there are a few more ships than there used to be.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

I think it was part of the streamlining process, and cutting down the audio spam just happened to be a side effect or something. It doesn't quite feel as long as it used to be. And it wasn't just Terok Nor that was tweaked in mechanics. DS9 also, for all intents and purposes, has a single health pool. Overall the flow of the TFO is the same. But I swear there are a few more ships than there used to be.

I dunno about ships but both DS9 and Terok Nor seemed to be able to take a beating much better compared how they used to when I did the TFO today, my pug group wasn't able to drop Terok Nor even once, where it used to be quite common for it drop to 0% health several times during the TFO previously.

Note that Leeta still call out for repairs but she doesn't do it as often and does it at about 50% health so the spammy "disable, repair, disable, repair" loop seems to be gone now.

EDIT: and considering the got mister "I got remind people about things every second" in Iupiter Iratus I doubt the devs are that concerned about annoying VOs.
  • Options
    Note that Leeta still call out for repairs but she doesn't do it as often and does it at about 50% health so the spammy "disable, repair, disable, repair" loop seems to be gone now.

I think its at 60% and 30% actually. Kinda like how the Crystalline Entity does the buildup shockwave at 60 and 30.
  • Options

True, I played it today and more ships spawn over Terok Nor now.

• Options

I think its at 60% and 30% actually. Kinda like how the Crystalline Entity does the buildup shockwave at 60 and 30.
    Could be my group couldn't hit 30% and I only noticed it wasn't at 0% like previously.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User

I dunno about ships but both DS9 and Terok Nor seemed to be able to take a beating much better compared how they used to when I did the TFO today, my pug group wasn't able to drop Terok Nor even once, where it used to be quite common for it drop to 0% health several times during the TFO previously.

EDIT: and considering the got mister "I got remind people about things every second" in Iupiter Iratus I doubt the devs are that concerned about annoying VOs.

Between:
    - "Kurland here..."/"This is Kurland..."

- "The Assault Teams are heading toward the Planet..."

- "Herc ships spotted at escape route Alpha/Beta/Gamma...GET OVER TTHERE!"
    ^^^
    There is still A LOT of quickly repeating audio spam that could use a streamlining/clean up. :neutral:
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    Swarm is particularly bad because most of the audio prompts have nothing to do with what's actually happening. "At route Alpha!" Uhm...I'm at Alpha. There's nothing here. "At Route Beta!" No, I can see Beta quite clearly. The Hurq are at Gamma. Round and round it goes, telling players where not to go. At least the Dread callout is right. Briefly.

In my experience with Swarm, those callouts seem to come up when an evac lane goes active with transport ships, not Hur'q. So in theory... its warning of an impending Hur'q attack on a lane, not that they are there already.
  • Options
    I remember Hur'q showing up when the transports get like 50% down the lane and again near the end of the lane. And again, I always associated the call outs with which lanes were going active. And usually in my experience it was best to have at least one ship per lane anyways, with one or two floaters going where they're needed between lanes rather than rely on any callouts.
This discussion has been closed.