test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Expensive

mledelen#6118 mledelen Member Posts: 23 Arc User
Zen store is expensive, this game is for rich people. But I need 600 lobis for a build I want to do... and come to find out I have to spend apparently over 600 dollars for the keys to get enough to get them. This is a freaking GAME!!! I should have to spend more in a game than I do in my actual life.

Apparently, opening lockboxes is the only way to get lobis... there needs to be another way to obtain these. Not all of us have hundreds of dollars to throw at a video game per item.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    audiosecrecy8audiosecrecy8 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Buying the item off the exchange is the only other option. Or if that is too much check out many of the guides for great free to play builds that don't require Zen or Lobi.
  • Options
    Can't buy them off the exchange. They are bound on pickup when you get them with lobi... I needs these consoles:

Altamid Modified Swarm Processor MK XV
    Console - Tachyokinetic Converter MK XV
    Console - Bioneural Infusion Circuits MK XV
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    > But I need 600 lobis for a build I want to do... and come to find out I have to spend apparently over 600 dollars for the keys to get enough to get them.

Lock boxes contain 4-5 lobi each, so not 600 dollars. 100 of them would also get you a pile of weapon packs, traits, etc. that you could use or sell on the exchange along with a 33% chance at getting a T6 ship.

You can also buy lock box keys from the exchange for energy credits. You can also trade dil for zen to buy keys but on PC it can take a week or more for your dil sale to go through.

All of the game content can be played for free, Cryptic gives away 3 free event ships a year, and also just gave away a free T6 ship token. One of the choices as the free reward for Event Campaign III was 1,500 lobi.

But yes, if you just want 600 lobi to spend on something it is expensive.

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    The other good news is.. you don't NEED any of those consoles.

Sure, they're nice to have if you have the resources, but it's not like your build will suck without them. None of those consoles you listed are so good that you absolutely have to have them or your build will not function. All 3 of those items are nothing more then 'nice to have' items.

Given how many good consoles exist in this game overall, I don't think I would ever bother running all 3 of those on a single ship anyway. I recommend re-evaluating your build to bring it more in line with your resources.

You'll be fine.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    The game is completely free. You can play all of the content for nothing. The game gives away end-game level ships at least 3 times annually. It's not unreasonable for them to try and make some money in the game they provide for free. All of the content can be completed using in-game rewards and gear. Lobi/Locked box/promo pack stuff makes the game easier, sometimes.

Keys can be purchased on the exchange instead of the C-store. The way I look at it is, you'll either invest time or money in the game one way or another if you want to have a specific build or theme. You can avoid either or all of that if all you want to do is play the story and run TFOs well enough.

According to the 10-Forward weekly, we will be getting a meta campaign event again this year, with the same rewards as the previous one. Lobi is one of the options, so there you go. You can invest the time instead of money, and have lobi left over for whatever you deem worthy.
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Very true. For every META/BIS console, there is a cheaper alternative that works perfectly fine for anyone not chasing records. Let's look at the ones the OP mentioned

Altamid Modified Swarm Processor MK XV - REPLACEMENT: Bellum EPS Flow Regulator from Discovery Rep
    Console - Tachyokinetic Converter MK XV - REPLACEMENT: Assimilated Module from Omega Rep
    Console - Bioneural Infusion Circuits MK XV - REPLACEMENT: Hull Image Refractors or Zero Point Module

Bioneural doesn't have a perfect replacement that gives a bunch of CrtD so I suggested the others. Both are easy/cheap to get and are very useful without spending any real world money.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    Very true. For every META/BIS console, there is a cheaper alternative that works perfectly fine for anyone not chasing records. Let's look at the ones the OP mentioned

Altamid Modified Swarm Processor MK XV - REPLACEMENT: Bellum EPS Flow Regulator from Discovery Rep
    Console - Tachyokinetic Converter MK XV - REPLACEMENT: Assimilated Module from Omega Rep
    Console - Bioneural Infusion Circuits MK XV - REPLACEMENT: Hull Image Refractors or Zero Point Module

Bioneural doesn't have a perfect replacement that gives a bunch of CrtD so I suggested the others. Both are easy/cheap to get and are very useful without spending any real world money.
    I honestly think EPS flow isn't worth it anymore, better off with a mix of the resist consoles or turn rate if you think you have plenty of resistance.
    I suggest getting teir 6 in the discover rep, get all the Crith consoles science and engi + Lorca's Custom Fire Controls and join a fleet and get the CritD or critH tactical consoles if your not past 50% crit, then re-engineer your weapons to have critd.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Can't buy them off the exchange. They are bound on pickup when you get them with lobi

It'll get expensive, but you can buy keys off of the exchange and get your Lobi that way. If you get lucky and win a ship you can make most of your EC back by selling it.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    Can't buy them off the exchange. They are bound on pickup when you get them with lobi... I needs these consoles:

Just to add to what others have said. All of those consoles you list were originally Free Event Rewards. Play the game, get stuff for free. It mostly gets expensive trying to backtrack and get stuff you missed. It’s an interesting business model and not an overly predatory one as these things go.

The annual event from last year finished fairly recently. Everybody focuses on the free promo ship. But one of the reward options is 1100 or 1200 Lobi. Generally enough for a ship and a console at regular prices, or a hell of a lot more if you are patient and wait for a sale.

You’ve clearly been reading or watching information about the Ultimate Meta builds. The people that chase ever more absurd DPS thresholds by shooting the same Borg tactical cube over and over and over. This is great. But the people compiling those builds and lists have largely been playing the game every day for the past 12 years. So they got this stuff for free. But if you really look at the consoles, figure out what makes them great, instead of just picking from a list, you can find many many ways to achieve the same results on a F2P budget. Just do a YouTube search for Star Trek Online and Budget or Budget Builds. Most of the STO Youtubers also run a F2P account, just to work out how to achieve impressive DPS with no money spent.

The main selling point to these consoles as Meta is they have a decent amount of + Critical Severity. The vast amount of that comes from 1 console. I just bought that console for a new toon about 2 weeks ago for 160 Lobi on sale. Which I got using keys that I bought 2 weeks prior on sale (and used the included Ultimate Upgrade on said console), the keys in turn I bought using Zen I had bought on roughly 30% sale two weeks prior to that. So my total expense for the one console was probably about $20. And in the process I scored a ship that I sold for 1.3 billion EC and other goodies that I either used or sold for another 200 mil EC.

Understanding the systems, both what makes the piece of gear in question good or bad, and how to achieve it in different ways, and how the games various economies work, can save a tremendous amount of money, and prevent a lot of frustration.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    Seaofsorrows beat me to it… none of those Lobi items are “need to have”… if you feel you shouldn’t have to pay X amount into a game, then don’t… Simply adjust your build rather than ask for a forced “government regulation of prices”…

CM

p.s. That and this last Campaign III meant that you could have earned 1500 lobi by simply playing the game!
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Seaofsorrows beat me to it… none of those Lobi items are “need to have”… if you feel you shouldn’t have to pay X amount into a game, then don’t… Simply adjust your build rather than ask for a forced “government regulation of prices”…

CM

p.s. That and this last Campaign III meant that you could have earned 1500 lobi by simply playing the game!

P.P.S And they have already said they are running that campaign again this year. It probably starts in March or April.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Had a chance to look up the prices of the doffs that are recommended besides those consoles OP? :#
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »

Just to add to what others have said. All of those consoles you list were originally Free Event Rewards. Play the game, get stuff for free. It mostly gets expensive trying to backtrack and get stuff you missed. It’s an interesting business model and not an overly predatory one as these things go.

You’ve clearly been reading or watching information about the Ultimate Meta builds. The people that chase ever more absurd DPS thresholds by shooting the same Borg tactical cube over and over and over. This is great. But the people compiling those builds and lists have largely been playing the game every day for the past 12 years. So they got this stuff for free. .....

Actually, that's not true. These items were never event rewards.

I think they meant you can get plenty of free lobi from the campaign if you chose that for a prize.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    lucentdragonlucentdragon Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    As others have said, unless you are chasing the tip top of dps and trying to break records.....none of that stuff is necessary.

You can put together a build that can put out more than enough dps to blaze thru 99.9% of the content STO has to offer.

More important than that, the meta builds you are trying to copy are just one small piece of the puzzle to breaking dps records. The people that do that are in very precisely tuned teams for just that purpose. 1 guy to try and break the dps record while four others are there solely to tank,debuff, and support.

Here, check this web page, it will give you a lot of great information on the fundamentals of putting together a good build.

Knowing why to choose what gear is far more important than having any 1 specific piece.

https://sites.google.com/view/stobetter/intro-builds
  • Options

Sorry, but no. The quoted post explictly says "all of these consoles were originally free event rewards". The three consoles named have always been lobi store items.
    Weren't all those Lobi 3 piece sets from the old "Story Mission of the Week/Month" type events? Back when you had to rerun the same Mission over and over?

• Options
    (Oh and... there's also two other things... you can buy keys with EC on the Exchange.... and you can buy Zen in-game with dilithium... either or both of those could be folded into this to bring the cash cost down even more.)

You can't buy zen with dilithium... noone is posting it for max 500 dil per zen. They say that cap is too low. I've tested it out for 2 weeks, noone is doing that.

• Options

Sure, they're nice to have if you have the resources, but it's not like your build will suck without them. None of those consoles you listed are so good that you absolutely have to have them or your build will not function. All 3 of those items are nothing more then 'nice to have' items.

Given how many good consoles exist in this game overall, I don't think I would ever bother running all 3 of those on a single ship anyway. I recommend re-evaluating your build to bring it more in line with your resources.

You'll be fine.

ok, this gets said alot. I know I don't NEED what I want... I know there are free stuff that will make my ship good. I don't care. I want to do a certain build and I think it's nuts that they charge so much for virtual items.

What I think is equally crappy, is that you have to spend 100s of dollars for a ship just to get a console from it. Like the D.O.M.I.N.O. console from the Bajoran Interceptor T6. I had over 600k dil and trying to get that console, spending 40k for 10 phoenix boxes in an attempt to get an epic... I spent ALL that dilithum and didn't get it and epic to get the ship which I would discard anyway b/c I'm only after the console.

It's stupid.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Some of the Mudd's bundles have included an Epic Phoenix as a choice, so if you wanted the other 2 ships that would make it ~$50 which I agree is steep if you only want the console. Worse yet, I think the Mudd's is just a normal token not an account unlock?
  • Options

You'll be fine.

ok, this gets said alot. I know I don't NEED what I want... I know there are free stuff that will make my ship good. I don't care. I want to do a certain build and I think it's nuts that they charge so much for virtual items.

What I think is equally crappy, is that you have to spend 100s of dollars for a ship just to get a console from it. Like the D.O.M.I.N.O. console from the Bajoran Interceptor T6. I had over 600k dil and trying to get that console, spending 40k for 10 phoenix boxes in an attempt to get an epic... I spent ALL that dilithum and didn't get it and epic to get the ship which I would discard anyway b/c I'm only after the console.

It's stupid.

Keep in mind I say this as someone who has had absolutely insane luck in pulling Epic tokens from Phoenix boxes, your mileage may vary. I’ve pulled over a dozen in the past 12-18 months. And without going crazy. I just more often than not convert some LTS Zen to Phoenix boxes on upgrade weekends. And I think that that is part of the secret. The chances for a ship are in part global, not simply individual. (They like when the T6 or Epic ship spam hits your screen. After all it might be you!!!) So the more that everybody is opening boxes, the better shot you have at you being one of the ones that rolls the 100. And I know I’m explaining this poorly. So for Phoenix ships, upgrade weekends are the sweet spot. For new loot boxes, the first day or so. For Infinity boxes, during key sales. The more people that are opening the boxes the greater the chance a ship will drop for somebody. And the system does not care if it is the guy who opened 1000 or the guy who opened 3. And yeah it’s lousy Vegas mechanics.

I do wish they would let us put the Epic ships on the Exchange. I would put three Bajoran Interceptors up the minute they did that. And it would become the much needed Dil sink.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    The chances for a ship are in part global, not simply individual.

@faelon#8433 - nope, each box is its own die roll, it's just during a phoenix even so many people open so many boxes that there a lot more winners.

You've just had a run of very good luck. Just like others have had bad luck opening 1,000+ Phoenix boxes without getting a single epic. Just like I got a promo pack ship once from opening 5 boxes. Just like I've gotten 0 lock box ships from opening at least 150 boxes for lobi over the last 8 years. Gamble boxes are gambling.

Cryptic treats us like Han Solo ("never tell [us] the odds") but based on slight evidence from multiple posts of those without your luck I'm going to guess the odds are at least as bad as 1 in 500.
  • Options

@faelon#8433 - nope, each box is its own die roll, it's just during a phoenix even so many people open so many boxes that there a lot more winners.

You've just had a run of very good luck. Just like others have had bad luck opening 1,000+ Phoenix boxes without getting a single epic. Just like I got a promo pack ship once from opening 5 boxes. Just like I've gotten 0 lock box ships from opening at least 150 boxes for lobi over the last 8 years. Gamble boxes are gambling.

Cryptic treats us like Han Solo ("never tell [us] the odds") but based on slight evidence from multiple posts of those without your luck I'm going to guess the odds are at least as bad as 1 in 500.
    I think I saw somewhere someone calculated out the Phoenix Boxes to be pretty close to a 1 in 400 chance. Or 0.25

• Options

I think I saw somewhere someone calculated out the Phoenix Boxes to be pretty close to a 1 in 400 chance. Or 0.25

That's very possible. I haven't seen anyone do the open 10,000 packs slog on tribble like have been done for lock boxes and promo packs but it seems like the odds are much worse than the 1 in 250 for lock boxes.
  • Options
    > But I need 600 lobis for a build I want to do... and come to find out I have to spend apparently over 600 dollars for the keys to get enough to get them.

Lock boxes contain 4-5 lobi each, so not 600 dollars. 100 of them would also get you a pile of weapon packs, traits, etc. that you could use or sell on the exchange along with a 33% chance at getting a T6 ship.

You can also buy lock box keys from the exchange for energy credits. You can also trade dil for zen to buy keys but on PC it can take a week or more for your dil sale to go through.

All of the game content can be played for free, Cryptic gives away 3 free event ships a year, and also just gave away a free T6 ship token. One of the choices as the free reward for Event Campaign III was 1,500 lobi.

But yes, if you just want 600 lobi to spend on something it is expensive.
    100 lock boxes got me 410 lobi. Buying 100 keys cost $115.00. so, yea, I was wrong...but still expensive.
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    Want always gets expensive I'm afraid.
This discussion has been closed.