test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

An idea to help PVP, the community can do this right now.

nuketfnuketf Member Posts: 51 Arc User
After a lot of testing, this system has the best chanse to have fair PVP, down to player skill, other then uncloak and melt ship.

PVP Revamp rules.
1. Stock gear that comes with the ship stays. If the ship has leveling gear, replace with lowest mark gear avilable.
2. Universals. If a ship has more then 1 universal consoles, keep 1, and disguard the reast.
3. common consoles only, of lowest mark
4. Players can not change the loadout of there weapons that arrive with the ship

I have tested the set of rules a lot of times, and it seems the most fair. I even did a battle, where i had 0 endvoers completed on a new account, vs someone that was about 75% done, I won. With this system, anyone can just get a ship, and PVP.
AKA, Beard of borg. Owner of the title "Should have left"
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    vanhyovanhyo Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    Acquiring gear and crafting winning builds is part of skill.
  • Options
    @westmetals

I wish i could help you man, but with your defeatist attitude that is not possible. Positive thinking is key.

Its been more than a year since i came back to STO, do you know how many times i had to come back to the drawing board and rethink the basics and the foundations of my build because i got wrecked completely ? But today, i am very happy with my progress, and some top players get mad at me for not being able to defeat me, even though i am on a 99.9% F2P account.
  • Options
    vanhyo wrote: »
    Acquiring gear and crafting winning builds is part of skill.

Could you explain a little more?
  • Options
    westmetals wrote: »
    An idea to help PVP that the community can do right now:

Ignore PVP. It is a lost cause.

Why do players not even want to try this? It does work, makes PVP more fair, and tacitcal
  • Options
    @westmetals

I wish i could help you man, but with your defeatist attitude that is not possible. Positive thinking is key.

Its been more than a year since i came back to STO, do you know how many times i had to come back to the drawing board and rethink the basics and the foundations of my build because i got wrecked completely ? But today, i am very happy with my progress, and some top players get mad at me for not being able to defeat me, even though i am on a 99.9% F2P account.

I gave it several tries. Tweeked things around several times.

But just could not escape getting vaped and spawncamped to the point that it was not even 1% enjoyable, I couldn't even shoot or move, much less have ANY chance of victory... and when I went looking for solutions, every single thing that was suggested required buying a ship.

And that BTW was with a high-HP cruiser with a fully gilded PVE build with above-average DPS (which didn't matter because I was never even able to fire one full volley of weapons.) Spent over 50% of the time looking at a respawn timer.

With that kind of paywall... I am not surprised that the PVP community is saying "we need more players!". Unfortunately you guys did it to yourselves.

With the PVP Revamp rules, you can take that high-HP Cruiser, put the lowest mark gear on it, and battle! (Though remember, cruisers are tanks) And you will not spend 50% of the time looking at a respawn timer with the rules.
  • Options
    @westmetals
    did you use 260 arc beams or 90arc on your cruiser ?
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator
    You have no means of enforcing it though. We have no seperate PvP loadout system.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    its an MMO, not a CS:GO

if such a thing even become a reality ill go play something else
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    You have no means of enforcing it though. We have no seperate PvP loadout system.

While that is true, would just have to go off of an honor system, (And to remember the ones that break the rules, to not play with them again)

Any sort of PVP revamp would have to require pre-made ships, with equally pre-made trait/power selections. There are too many things in STO to even reasonably balance PVP at this point.

Or, my idea, since I tested it a lot before and it works (I have 0 idea how to make a PVP build, I am 99% PVE)

its an MMO, not a CS:GO

if such a thing even become a reality ill go play something else

I'm not talking about CS:GO? I'm talking about a way to make PVP in sto more fair, where the community can help inforce the rules for PVP, so players do not die in a blink of an eye.
  • Options
    >>so players do not die in a blink of an eye.

People who know what they are doing do not die in a blink of an eye.
  • Options
    Honor is all well and good, but the issue is that you have absolutely NO means of ensuring that people are telling the truth. They COULD say they have followed the rules, only to still be rocking mk XV gold gear. You can't check their build. There is no inspect function. You have no choice but to accept their word and pray to the gaming gods that they are being truthful. And even if you ask them to link their build, they could just be linking out of their inventory and not what's actually equipped.
    You are TOTALLY at the mercy of the other player's level of honesty. And not everyone is brutally honest.

In a premade match this may be viable. But not in an open door PvP situation where anyone can walk in.

While there are groups that have rules for participating in matches, like a group that likes to use canon stuff only... those tend to all set up with premades. Some place like Ker'rat or just queueing up for Core Assault... its a free for all. There is no way anyone is going to queue up for Core Assault with mk 1 or 2 white gear.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    >>so players do not die in a blink of an eye.

People who know what they are doing do not die in a blink of an eye.

before or after they spend 1.5B EC for traits?

Honor is all well and good, but the issue is that you have absolutely NO means of ensuring that people are telling the truth. They COULD say they have followed the rules, only to still be rocking mk XV gold gear. You can't check their build. There is no inspect function. You have no choice but to accept their word and pray to the gaming gods that they are being truthful. And even if you ask them to link their build, they could just be linking out of their inventory and not what's actually equipped.
    You are TOTALLY at the mercy of the other player's level of honesty. And not everyone is brutally honest.

In a premade match this may be viable. But not in an open door PvP situation where anyone can walk in.

While there are groups that have rules for participating in matches, like a group that likes to use canon stuff only... those tend to all set up with premades. Some place like Ker'rat or just queueing up for Core Assault... its a free for all. There is no way anyone is going to queue up for Core Assault with mk 1 or 2 white gear.

Yes, people can lie, and you can tell they have lied once the match starts, then you can remember the player and make sure to not have matches with them in there, or leave when they show up.
  • Options
    Just for the record, I'm not objecting to be a jerk. I'm playing Devil's Advocate here because I do have some experience with PvP.

One of the best fights I had ever ended in a stalemate because we were evenly matched. But neither of us had a pre arranged build. It was a pair of cruisers duking it out where one misclick of an ability could turn the tide.

The problem with remembering names is that you have to remember their ACCOUNT name. STO is actually one of the few games that doesn't require someone to have an absolute unique name on the server, because it looks at your account name. For example, I've seen dozens of Thrawns already, all different players. Same with Yodas. Simply remembering a name isn't going to be the end all solution, because odds are quite a few people may have that same name. You'd have to dig deeper.
  • Options
    Just for the record, I'm not objecting to be a jerk. I'm playing Devil's Advocate here because I do have some experience with PvP.

One of the best fights I had ever ended in a stalemate because we were evenly matched. But neither of us had a pre arranged build. It was a pair of cruisers duking it out where one misclick of an ability could turn the tide.

The problem with remembering names is that you have to remember their ACCOUNT name. STO is actually one of the few games that doesn't require someone to have an absolute unique name on the server, because it looks at your account name. For example, I've seen dozens of Thrawns already, all different players. Same with Yodas. Simply remembering a name isn't going to be the end all solution, because odds are quite a few people may have that same name. You'd have to dig deeper.

Sadly, I was away so I didn't have time to edit because I forgot to mention something, so I'll say it here then reply.

This is for pre-made teams using the Team death match, death match, and control the point maps that are already in the game, that require players to join a que lobby then hit start. Players would join a chat called "PVP-Revamp-Chat" Were they can request to join a match.

Yes, it would have to be the account name. Something that I though of doing is making a website, or a fleet, with account names of players that broke the rules, to remind players to not invite them, or to remove them from the chat in full.
  • Options
    >before or after they spend 1.5B EC for traits?

I know its a rhetorical question but the answer is actually - before.

• Options
    >before or after they spend 1.5B EC for traits?

I know its a rhetorical question but the answer is actually - before.

Could you explain how? Because to all the PVPers I talked to, all of them linked me to traits that are from ships that are 1.5B EC.
  • Options
    xorvxorv Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    I'm sorry but I think this is a flawed idea. The biggest problem is this notion of "fairness", essentially it's already "fair" everyone can access whatever gear, ships, traits they want if they work towards it. People will often say PvP is "pay-to-win" but that is isn't really true, if you actually play the game over time you can get what you need, paying $ just bypasses they need to work towards those goals in game. If you participate successfully in market PvP (the only PvP in STO that actually has meaningful consequences for winning or losing) you can make billions of EC.

There's two big problems with these make PvP "Fair" ideas:

One is they ignore that this is a MMORPG, and apply what's considered fair in totally different genres of games like FPS or RTS to STO. Developing a character over time and acquiring gear IS part of the gameplay. Your not meant to be able to log on day one and have a character that can compete with another player's character that's been developed over a few years. Although this is where $ can give you an accelerated path.

The second problem, is almost all these proposals confuse personal playstyle preferences for fairness. Periodically you'll see these PVP events turn up with various rules on what can and cannot be used. It's never about fairness and always about how the organizers like to play the game. Although they will almost always describe their rules as about being fair and good gameplay, not what it actually is, just their opinion based on personal preferences. As an example a super common one, is banning Exitus trait builds that use a sort of stealth vs perception advantage for defense. But they won't ban the cheesiest trait (IMO) and most commonly used trait in STO PVP Invincible/Zhal. Exitus is fairly easily countered by shifting your build around for perception, while Invincible short of a Sci with a well timed Subnuke can only be countered by killing that player twice in two minutes. Invincible is also chiefly responsible for eliminating an entire playstyle from STO PvP, the "Vaper" STO's version of the Rogue or Assassin archetype. But the players that advocate for such things don't want to adjust their builds or their preferred playstyle so they simply ban Exitus from their events and keep Invincible which most of them use on their own builds. There's nothing wrong with them doing this aside from claiming it's about some objective sense of fairness.

The real way to boost PvP in STO (which is a MMORPG) is to give desirable rewards or means of character advancement/development for participating in it. also adding new content like any other aspect of the game can also draw player's attention and participation.
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Desirable rewards just compounds the problem that is PvP. Once the upper echelon players employ their wonderful new rewards (designed with PvP in mind?) they just exacerbate the disparity between them and the new players you think you might draw in. It's a losing proposition by design. Pleasing PvP players is like pleasing FTPs dilithium farmers. You likely have to force it, or make it undesirable not to participate. Mandatory "fun" that isn't fun isn't fun.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    nuketf wrote: »
    An idea to help PVP that the community can do right now:

Ignore PVP. It is a lost cause.

Why do players not even want to try this?

Well, some fraction of us have 0% interest in PvP. Especially the imbalanced, half-assed PvP minigames that get duct-taped to the side of PvE MMOs.

(I really wonder sometimes, about the seemingly Super Serious PvPers that get so invested in lousy PvE-MMO PvP, instead of playing PvP games designed from the ground up for decent PvP. Whether it's WoW, or SWtOR, or ESO, or whichever.)
  • Options
    xorvxorv Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »

Well, some fraction of us have 0% interest in PvP. Especially the imbalanced, half-assed PvP minigames that get duct-taped to the side of PvE MMOs.

(I really wonder sometimes, about the seemingly Super Serious PvPers that get so invested in lousy PvE-MMO PvP, instead of playing PvP games designed from the ground up for decent PvP. Whether it's WoW, or SWtOR, or ESO, or whichever.)

The MMOs that are built from the ground up around PvP are far and few between, and all had their own problems. And PvP games that aren't MMOs are completely different game play in most cases. Everyone has their own preferences as to what they enjoy, I don't think any are more valid choices of entertainment. Even though I was far from the best player I really enjoyed Darkfall which was an MMO built around PvP with very high stakes (all your equipment could be looted, your player built cities destroyed or conquered), the experience in that game could not be replicated outside of the MMO genre. Each to their own. There's just no need to get all worked up about people liking gameplay you don't. If you really had 0 interest in STO PvP you wouldn't have posted at all, you have an interest it's just a negative one.
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    @xorv

We don't have the same definition of interests. As far as PvP participation I have little, to no interest. It's an anemic portion of the game that has fallen by the wayside. To their credit the PvP community resurges occasionally with cries to rejuvenate it but it probably only exists as it does because it doesn't continually explode like the Foundry did.

My interest is in the state of the larger game. I'm a realist in that I recognize limited resources need to be allocated where they will serve the whole better. Where that leads outside of prize incentivized events who can say. Past experience demonstrates new content when delivered takes the form of PvE content.

"Do you PvP", polls were conducted repeatedly to a point where the percentages were so embarrassing the pollsters wouldn't wave them around if they were on fire. You don't build it if nobody will come, those who do are a a marked minority. You can care about a particular as much as you want to, but even imagining democracy all the passion in the world amounts to just one vote.

My interests are in content developing with enough mass appeal that I can fly my little spaceships around for a couple more years before they pack it in.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    ahhhh...the glory days of pvp threads...

ive come to think the only pvp in STO for a time has been on the forums. :wink:

Same here.. you want PvP.. insult coldnapalm, he'll give you a fight. :lol:

On Topic though, seriously OP.. PvP is such a small slice of this game that it's highly unlikely it will get any form of developer attention. The team that makes this game is incredibly small and has highly limited resources, even simple things for most studios are a big deal for the STO Team. Asking them to devote time to PvP a section of the game that's basically dead, means taking time away from other things the game actually needs and it's likely not going to happen.

The truth is, if PvP is your thing, then STO simply isn't the game for you.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    PvP is dead. And should stay that way. Cryptic heavily embarrassed themselves with the Competitive rep, making all these various power-ups (no doubt having $$-signs in their eyes, thinking ppl would buy millions of those). Nobody cared. And it's good that way. This is a casual PvE game. And should stay that way.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,349 Arc User
    nuketf wrote: »
    After a lot of testing, this system has the best chanse to have fair PVP, down to player skill, other then uncloak and melt ship.

PVP Revamp rules.
    1. Stock gear that comes with the ship stays. If the ship has leveling gear, replace with lowest mark gear avilable.
    2. Universals. If a ship has more then 1 universal consoles, keep 1, and disguard the reast.
    3. common consoles only, of lowest mark
    4. Players can not change the loadout of there weapons that arrive with the ship

I have tested the set of rules a lot of times, and it seems the most fair. I even did a battle, where i had 0 endvoers completed on a new account, vs someone that was about 75% done, I won. With this system, anyone can just get a ship, and PVP.

Here's the biggest problem with your idea. It can NEVER be fair unless those players have similar endeavour stats. The system itself is worth MULTIPLE console and someone at level 0 will never be able to match someone at level 100+.
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
This discussion has been closed.