Install Arc
Options

ground patrols

2»

Comments

• Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »
    why "puzzles" should be a primary thing, the primary thing would be the mission, a puzzle only a part of this mission.
    why, not for example a real mission to grab the famous contrabands so loved by the dil farmers? and the puzzles could be to find the good lock combination to open crates.
    We actively AREN'T playing those missions we send DOFF/ships

you are just playing on words. :|

Actually, he is not playing on words. When we send our DOFFS and/or ships on DOFF assignments or Admirality assignments, they are doing the work not us and we get a report back. We might be "actively" sending them to such and such place but all we really are doing is getting and/or enjoying the fruit of their labor once they complete their missions. These missions are like those in SWTOR which you can send your companions on if you so choose for resources, items, and other things except in STO it is resources, items, energy credits, dilithium, etc.

who send them to do these missions? :/
    you have just to use a button that's all. During this time, your character does nothing, this is why it is a passive activity. i don't like these "missions" in swtor, they are boring like the doff system.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    The Breen arc is still one of my faves too. I would still rather replay it (and have recently) than I would some of the newer arcs with countless enemy waves while a hidden timer counts down. To me the first Breen mission (Cold Call) is one of the most "Trek" feeling missions in the game and has almost the perfect amount of ground and space combat.

To me the most Trek feeling mission arc is Spectres, it has a definite second season TOS feel to it (though of course it is set in the gap between the series and TMP date wise). The puzzles in the arc actually add to it rather than detract from it like some of the others since they actually fit the situation instead of sticking out like a random mini phone game in the middle of an MMORPG that has little or nothing to do with the plot.

but for some players, the puzzles in this arc are already too difficult; this is why the solutions are given, in all the new missions; alas.
    A good infiltration patrol could be awesome, and i mean very good, not like the one in the vaadwaur underground base.
  • Options
    edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    the mission in defera (cold war episode) where we have to solve the preserver puzzle (obelisk) is interesting, for example.
    Its funny that you mention this because this was one of the most complained about bits of ground content back in the day.

The Defera Preserver puzzle in the Cold War arc, the Spectres energy relay and nerve tonic puzzles, the space walk in "Boldly they Rode", "Of Bajor" in general. Any time Cryptic did any sort of non standard ground mission design people RAGED. These bits were infamous as "arc killers", that made most people avoid replaying these story arcs like the plague.

On the other hand, the "One Night in Bozeman" First Contact Day ground patrol, where you pretty much do nothing but walk around and shoot waves of Borg, was pretty well received.

I do want it to be clear I never had much problem with these missions. Hell, I honestly like a lot of "Of Bajor", and Coliseum, for what is commonly their most hated parts as well. But Cryptic makes the wave based ground content because that is what people have shown a preference for.

Preferences can vary widely. I'm not a big fan of ground stuff, and Coliseum is one of my least favorite missions. (Which I ended up doing multiple times on one character back in the day, to get multiple copies of the Reman shield for use on multiple ships.) On the other hand, the whole DS9 spacewalk thing is a fond memory for me, the idea of actually being outside the space station moving around was cool. Not so sure how I felt about the actual mechanics of the mission, since it's been a long long time since I did that. I also didn't mind the First Contact ground patrol, though to me making rockets and listening to Magic Carpet Ride in STO is more fun. :b I avoid doing ground TFOs, and thus avoid random TFOs. (One of the few random TFOs I did ended up being a Borg ground TFO where apparently nobody, including me, knew what to do to make progress, so we were doing the same stuff over and over until I finally just left. And I probably wasn't the first, or the last. I'd never done that TFO before, and I'm not even sure which one it is.)

Of course, one thing I didn't like about ground is that ground weapon auto-fire didn't work for me on my main character. I've since managed to get that working, so it's a little better. And some fun Risa kit modules help, but overall it feels a bit lacking compared to non-Star Trek MMOs I've played in the past. (And I mean long long ago, not modern ones.)
  • Options
    vanhyovanhyo Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    > @sennahcherib said:
    > maybe asked already; but can we have ground patrols doable with our boffs?
    > For me, ground stuff with my boffs is the only part of this game where I still have a little bit of fun. TFO's are boring after being done thousand of times (most of them are dead anyway), and the space patrols are just more pew pew.
    > Less pew pew and more interesting things to do.

i agree with this
    TFOs are super boring and annoying.

I think STO is feels better with skirmish kind of battles, like the patrols for both space and ground, with only episodes making sense to be extra long.

Also patrol waves seem little bit weak for maxed characters, why not add big boss fight as final wave where you can really make use of your single target dps ? In the context of short skirmish ofc.
  • Options
    vanhyovanhyo Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    @senna
    >I can understand, because most of the >current missions are just waves after >waves of ennemies and don't have a real >interest, but cryptic can change that.
    >the mission in defera (cold war episode) >where we have to solve the preserver >puzzle (obelisk) is interesting, for example.

I disagree with this, puzzles are one time wonder and have very little replayability.

A good ground patrol have to have:
    - Pleasing theme.
    - Quick and very straightforward to complete.
    - It have to feel like auto-pilot pew pew.

The moment the game starts to ask me for my thinking and puzzle solving attention, its kinda less relaxing and more burdening.

Fist contact felt good,maybe it was slightly too long but it felt nice overall.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »
    why "puzzles" should be a primary thing, the primary thing would be the mission, a puzzle only a part of this mission.
    why, not for example a real mission to grab the famous contrabands so loved by the dil farmers? and the puzzles could be to find the good lock combination to open crates.
    We actively AREN'T playing those missions we send DOFF/ships

you are just playing on words. :|

Actually, he is not playing on words. When we send our DOFFS and/or ships on DOFF assignments or Admirality assignments, they are doing the work not us and we get a report back. We might be "actively" sending them to such and such place but all we really are doing is getting and/or enjoying the fruit of their labor once they complete their missions. These missions are like those in SWTOR which you can send your companions on if you so choose for resources, items, and other things except in STO it is resources, items, energy credits, dilithium, etc.

who send them to do these missions? :/
    you have just to use a button that's all. During this time, your character does nothing, this is why it is a passive activity. i don't like these "missions" in swtor, they are boring like the doff system.

I quoted "actively" because I see it as a passive activity. But one of the ones I was responding to, sees it as an active activity. So I was speaking from their perspective.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
This discussion has been closed.