What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

@BorticusCryptic shares thoughts on need for non "special" ships

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

Comments

• Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    If you want to market "legendary" ships those probably aren't the ones you should be building with those design principles. Given the timing my assumption is that this a response to the D'Deridex's reception. I'm curious what the upsides to the "bad" criteria particular to that ship are. Tell me something, "unprecedented".
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    Sounds great for a freebie ship or a bundle ship or even a C-Store ship. Slappin TRIBBLE stats on a legendary ship? Come on now..

What was the D'D gonna accel? Brickiest brick to ever brick? Thing doesn't even have a legendary skin for cryin out loud
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,787 Arc User
    I don't care if my ship is special or not as long as it fits my character theme, If I have a Borg toon, I would like to fly in a Cube, I can barely tell which enemy I'm shooting at anyways, swarms of enemies are annoying, just keep shooting until I see which direction disruptor beams are going and then turn my ship into that direction.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    I don't care if my ship is special or not as long as it fits my character theme, If I have a Borg toon, I would like to fly in a Cube, I can barely tell which enemy I'm shooting at anyways, swarms of enemies are annoying, just keep shooting until I see which direction disruptor beams are going and then turn my ship into that direction.

exactly. i would like for my TOS kdf character a tos ship even without command/intel/etc seats. + I don't care about dmg/dps or whatever. I like to create characters with a background stories and a style, that's all.

And, no! I don't want and can't buy a D7
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2021
    As for this comment...

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11493563

I mean I generally agree with this, still I think he was dropping clues about what to do.

As the only thing that might apply to these two Legendary is the turn rate mostly. Still they can be improved upon in a variety of ways, so read on... ...as some of the set bonus improve shields and others too!

For those who wished the D'deridex had a bit better turn than 6, yet realize if you equip one of the two piece SETS it jumps to 8 (+2) and that's before...

You add a Exotic Particle Console with [Turn] in Sci slot, and/or a Conductive RCS Console in Eng slot possibly with [Turn]x2 though one might be fine. As you could always pair the Universal Console for Romulan Captain's who use Plasma/Polaron Damage, from the Lukari Console of Adv Piezo-Electric Focuser, which boosts turn a bit more as well. :)

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Console_-_Universal_-_Piezo-Electric_Focuser/Info

Also the 2 or 3 piece set gives:
    https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Enhanced_Maneuvering_Systems_Set
    ╘ just really wished they'd offer more passive on, most if not all older T5 ships consoles! <3

Note: Only the last of the 3, Console - Universal - Molecular Cohesion Nullifier, offers +5 Max All Power Subsystems (does not stack with other Max increases) -- like to see several of the Legendary older consoles given a few more passive abilities. At least the Scimitar Set from the T6 consoles all have passive bonus included with them, unlike the D'deridex which is mostly the older T5 Consoles.

Still I'm surprised the Scimitar got 7.5 turn given it's far larger size, but given it has 5/3 loadout I guess they figure it needs that more if your using Cannon's which it can. Yet it also comes with a SET that helps improve the turn by +3 to 10. That doesn't include the Console - Universal - Flagship Tactical Computer giving 50% turn & Speed, as well as 33% Firing Cycle Haste for Energy Weapons for 15 sec.

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Flagship_Technologies_Console_Set

Set 2: Flagship Modifications

+2% Critical Hit Chance
    +3 Flight Turn Rate

So realize it's actually not as bad as people think, depending on how you build it!

Still I think seeing a 2 ship bundle for that price, and what's offered is something to consider!
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    @strathkin

Yeah, I've been looking at the numbers and seeing what I'd be losing. Making D'Deridex do closer to what I'd like to accomplish with it is part of the challenge. I don't know if I'd describe that as fun because out of the gate to compensate you sacrifice two console slots for practical functionality. To get something semi workable you burn away the "bonus" MW slot and another of your choice. One of the console in the combo I can live with. +2 power to subsystems on the deficit isn't awful. You are potentially correcting two weaknesses. The clicky singularity pet tricks console is another matter. Not only is it one trick long CD garbage there is no passive that would justify bringing it to the table. Truly plumbing foolishness I've been wondering how disastrous a cannon build might go 😀. Partial fixes might include deft cannoneer and that would only burn a single space trait.

• Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2021
    I agree it's not perfect, yet can be an option depending on what weapons you use.

As I said I think the real drawback is the lack of passive abilities on many older T5/T6 Epic consoles!

If they spend just a week or two, revising many older Epic consoles to give 1 passive bonus, that make sense for the ships there on; well it have a wide appeal to making them far more useful again! <3

It's not complicated, it's just adding a value of x for a new passive ability that applies. Kind of like they had to when they changed the cross faction flying for Klingons and Fed's, having to make a simple change, but touch several Ships which was what made it time consuming to enable it.

So I understand what you are saying, a few more passives make those older Epic consoles a lot more appealing for sure! And likely be greatly appreciated by many...
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    @strathkin

I agree doing a pass on on the older consoles would be a strong incentive. I tend to ignore the button mash functions but some of the passives alone justify inclusion on builds. As you said on their end it might encourage newer players to consider some old ships solely for their consoles.

• Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    “Not all ships should be ‘special’ especially villain ships we don’t like.”

—Borticus

“Not every ship has to be ‘special,’ but ‘legendary’ ships you want me to buy for 60$ a pop—probably should be.”

—me
  • Options
    discojer2#5455 discojer2 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Wouldn't make a lot of difference to me. My primary ship, for the past eight years, has been (and will remain) the Rhode Island variant of the Nova class. A T5 (U-X) ship that has been wallowing in obscurity for longer than anyone cares but I still love and can still get the job done despite lacking the 'bells and whistles' that even the 'worst' T6 ships enjoy.

Great, but you aren't the audience for $120 Legendary Ship packs. Why spend that much on a terrible ship when you could just spend $30 for slightly more terrible ship?

Oh, I'm sure people will buy it. But will they fly it. How often do you see a D'D in a TFO? I don't think I've ever seen one. That might change after this pack, but it won't change for long because the stats are so underwhelming and the ship is so unmaneuverable.

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I agree with Borticus to the degree that not every ship should be tailored to the same meta gameplay. I personally pick the ships I want due to theme or aesthetics, and then make it work. Not the ship has to fit my playstyle, my playstyle has to fit the ship. This also means every character plays slightly differently.

However, they can make the ships as special or unspecial as they want, if the only way I can get them is in 600€ bundles I won't even bother.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    I love the ship but I'm too embarrassed to try STFs with teams. Luckily my D'D is on a secondary captain so moving forward hasn't been as much a priority. I do play patrols to try to improve things and it can take the worst the baddies can throw at it but but sometimes it's a struggle to even keep it wallowing within the 10km engagement area doing loop de loops. I've been thinking that polaric modulator (?) from the Delta Flight Iconian mission will be a nice add but I'm not looking forward to jumping hoops with Tom "Just Shut Up" Paris. If he heckles my garbage piloting I think I would lose my patience rapidly.

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @horridperson said:
    > I love the ship but I'm too embarrassed to try STFs with teams. Luckily my D'D is on a secondary captain so moving forward hasn't been as much a priority. I do play patrols to try to improve things and it can take the worst the baddies can throw at it but but sometimes it's a struggle to even keep it wallowing within the 10km engagement area doing loop de loops. I've been thinking that polaric modulator (?) from the Delta Flight Iconian mission will be a nice add but I'm not looking forward to jumping hoops with Tom "Just Shut Up" Paris. If he heckles my garbage piloting I think I would lose my patience rapidly.

'Embarrassed' to try STFs? Please. Don't let misguided elitism tell you you can do anything 'wrong', you don't deliberately sabotage the game because you have a D'D which, frankly, just plays differently. It gains turn and speed when you cloak, that's what you should do.

When all enemies are dead in the time it takes you to cloak that's not your fault, it's bad game design.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    While I agree with the general principle, he has shown once again to be completely and utterly tone deaf.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,824 Arc User
    The idea isn't bad.

The problem is that having ships excel in anything else than dealing damage will make them useless in a game that's entirely focussed on destroying things.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,666 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I agree with Borticus to the degree that not every ship should be tailored to the same meta gameplay. I personally pick the ships I want due to theme or aesthetics, and then make it work. Not the ship has to fit my playstyle, my playstyle has to fit the ship. This also means every character plays slightly differently.

However, they can make the ships as special or unspecial as they want, if the only way I can get them is in 600€ bundles I won't even bother.

Personally, I think some good ships to make would be some of the 'background ship', like those starfleet ships we seen in the kelvin films, like the mayflower, the newton, the armstrong, etc. Or those ships in game, like the TOS Klingon NPC ships. Nothing special, no mega powers, just some good, solid ships that one can use. Economy ships, as it were. Kinda like those DVD sets where all you get are the episodes/movie, as opposed to those DVD sets where it has special features, commentary, etc etc.

Does that make any sense to anyone else? :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    The idea isn't bad.

The problem is that having ships excel in anything else than dealing damage will make them useless in a game that's entirely focussed on destroying things.

Not only that, but if a ship is Legendary, then... it MUST be legendary, otherwise you're just asking for a lot of money for nothing.
    Not to mention that the current situation wasn't of our own doing: though there was a very vocal minority that started complaining because "oh my god, I have to do STUFF instead of just spamming spacebar?! UNACCEPTABLE", they had no obligations of changing things so much that now the only thing that matters is going "pew pew pew" to vaporize everything.
    The lach of mechanics, strategies and the need to have support roles is a direct result of the "content" they are releasing: wave after waver of enemies that runs on (invisible) timers when nothing else matters but shooting stuff down.

But Borticus is well known for trying to turn stuff on US, instead of taking responsabilities for THEIR choices.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I've always felt it was a huge mistake of the original dev team to tie stats to visuals, many people just want to fly their favorite ship and it can be a real downer when that favorite ship doesn't have the stats you would like. This gets exacerbated when people ingame or on Reddit say things like "Oh no you're playing the game wrong, you're only supposed get that ship for the trait / console / weapon to use with a better ship". That was literally the response I got when I posted on Reddit that the Keldon was on my list for the event campaign because I wanted it for my Cardassian character ...
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,178 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    If only they applied this design philosophy to full Carriers. There is no trade off, there is no choice, full carriers are just flat out worse in every single way with no special features over FDC’s. Its always a no brainer leads to STO being a no brainer for carriers.

I fully agree with the philosophy but it feels like the devs abandoned that philosophy when making support and full carriers.

Plus need need more 5 rear weapon ships.
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    If only they applied this design philosophy to full Carriers. There is no trade off, there is no choice, full carriers are just flat out worse in every single way with no special features over FDC’s. Its always a no brainer leads to STO being a no brainer for carriers.

I fully agree with the philosophy but it feels like the devs abandoned that philosophy when making support and full carriers.

Plus need need more 5 rear weapon ships.
    I think this is the same for romulan cruisers I want to build them but why are the only ship class that has to have "trade off" with singularity abilities and cruiser commands( not even vanguard ships have this trade off). While all romulan science ships get sensor analysis, secondary deflectors etc. All romulan tactical 4/3 5/2 ships get their expermental weapons. Why are cruisers the only exception, I could understand if they got only 2 for both singularity abilities and battlecloak. Though the new Legendary battle cloaking vorcha still has 3, vanguard dreadnought cruiser has all 3.

Like you you said FDC's have two cruiser commands too, as well as two hangers and 4/4 or 5/3 layout, but other carriers only get 4/3 or 5/2 at most with the dreadnoughts and 3/3 and 4/2 layouts. With basically nothing to trade off their inferior layouts.

But I think they need to do something with singularities and singularity cores in general, they aren't really worth all the negatives.
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    1) IF they made it so legendary ships can do EVERYTHING as some in this tread wants it to do, than they are literally selling power. To an absurd degree, So...no, that is a terrible idea and they should not do it.

2) However that being said, they already broke this to a relatively large degree. Not even on legendary ships no less. The warships for each faction example are 5/3 ships with 5 tact slots and a primary spec and high maneuverability and high shield. Yeah it has low hull...but really, it has everything else.

3) The DD becoming more maneuverable won't make it a has everything ship...what most people are asking for, Making it a 5/3 ship also won't make it a everything ship. Giving it BOTH kinda does approach that...but they can pick one of the two and still be fine under this doctrine.

If they gave it one or two cruiser commands like strategic maneuvering. You could get 9 turn rate, it would also give the ship the special feature romulan cruisers should have since command arrays became a thing.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,787 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    “Not all ships should be ‘special’ especially villain ships we don’t like.”

—Borticus

“Not every ship has to be ‘special,’ but ‘legendary’ ships you want me to buy for 60$ a pop—probably should be.”

—me

Exactly it's poor marketing, 'Non-Legendary' ships should not be special at all, but if ‘Legendary’ ships on the other hand end up being pieces of TRIBBLE, then they aren't worth spending money on, the keyword is 'LEGENDARY' so Legendary ships should feel Legendary.
  • Options
    diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    > @angrytarg said:
    > I agree with Borticus to the degree that not every ship should be tailored to the same meta gameplay. I personally pick the ships I want due to theme or aesthetics, and then make it work. Not the ship has to fit my playstyle, my playstyle has to fit the ship. This also means every character plays slightly differently.
    >

I agree with this totally and is my approach to STO. Theme and space Barbie is my main style for STO.

My main is a TOS theme. He flies a T6 Gemini/Sagittarius. It matches the theme I have for that character. My focus has been to make that ship the best I can with upgrades and consoles. I learned the ship inside and out. I play it as a tank and can handle all game content with it.

Likewise I have a Cardassian in a Galor. A VOY theme in a T5 (U-X) Cheyenne. A TWoK theme in a T6 Miranda/Reliant. None are meta or high performance ships, but all give me what I need to enjoy the game
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,666 Arc User
    > @angrytarg said:
    > I agree with Borticus to the degree that not every ship should be tailored to the same meta gameplay. I personally pick the ships I want due to theme or aesthetics, and then make it work. Not the ship has to fit my playstyle, my playstyle has to fit the ship. This also means every character plays slightly differently.
    >

I agree with this totally and is my approach to STO. Theme and space Barbie is my main style for STO.

My main is a TOS theme. He flies a T6 Gemini/Sagittarius. It matches the theme I have for that character. My focus has been to make that ship the best I can with upgrades and consoles. I learned the ship inside and out. I play it as a tank and can handle all game content with it.

Likewise I have a Cardassian in a Galor. A VOY theme in a T5 (U-X) Cheyenne. A TWoK theme in a T6 Miranda/Reliant. None are meta or high performance ships, but all give me what I need to enjoy the game

Yep, my virtual me character uses, mainly the t6 Miranda, along with others, and I got it where the miranda can take a MEGA beating, and give a pretty mega beating as well....since I focus on staying alive, not mega, uber DPS, and I got plans for my AoY when it starts this year. Probably gonna use the Ranger.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
This discussion has been closed.