test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Does STO support surround sound?

whicky1978whicky1978 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
Does Star Trek online support surround sound? I’m specifically looking to get a new headphone set. Is anybody have any recommendations? I’m looking more on the low budget end because my dog will eat them sometimes XD
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    whicky1978whicky1978 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    > @keepcalmchiveon said:
    > Ty!
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,558 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    westmetals wrote: »
    I don't know about full surround sound, but I'm pretty sure that it probably would support a two-speaker system (which is what headphones are) since most desktop computers also have two-speaker systems.

Some headphones use baffles and/or wave phasing tricks to get quadrophonic or five point surround sound. I have never heard the surround ones, but quadrophonic headphones are nice.
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    I don't know about full surround sound, but I'm pretty sure that it probably would support a two-speaker system (which is what headphones are) since most desktop computers also have two-speaker systems.

I've got a razer tiamat 7.1 and it has discrete mini speaker on each side. it's a different matter tho if STO doesn't support multi channels
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I have surround sound speakers on my PC but I can't remember for sure if STO in particular gives me a surround sound effect, I'll verify when I get home tonight. I'm pretty sure I do get surround sound from it though, and I believe STO is the game where I've noticed some odd behavior with it, for example on the ground if I'm running forward while firing the weapon sound plays behind me for some reason.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    I have surround sound speakers on my PC but I can't remember for sure if STO in particular gives me a surround sound effect, I'll verify when I get home tonight. I'm pretty sure I do get surround sound from it though, and I believe STO is the game where I've noticed some odd behavior with it, for example on the ground if I'm running forward while firing the weapon sound plays behind me for some reason.

i can see where this may lead to some people thinking it has surround, but i think this is a sound card simulating surround sound verses the game actually supporting it and providing it.
    akin to sound bars that can simulate surround if the program offered does not.
    I don't have a sound card, but I suppose the integrated sound on my motherboard could be doing the same thing.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,281 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    I know STO is an old game, but it isn't THAT old - surround sound has been around for decades now. I honestly don't see why it wouldn't have at least basic surround sound support, even if it doesn't outright say it does or have any option for it.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,178 Arc User
    edited July 2021
    Surprised its taken so long for anyone to confirm STO has and supports surround sound. I get full surround sound from all speakers and it works as expected. Some sounds from rear only, some from front only, voice from the center speaker e.c.t Ships behind me comes from the rear speakers. Ships warping out in the front of me have the warp sound from the front. This is with physical speakers, I have never used surround sound headphones.
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I used to have 5.1 speakers when I played on an older account, and it used to show up on the Output Device for Options->Audio, but it's been years since I used speakers, so it's just showing my TV (which I'm using as a monitor).
  • Options
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Surprised its taken so long for anyone to confirm STO has and supports surround sound.
    Surround sound for computers and gaming seems to be on the rare side, most people seem to either just use two speakers or get expensive headphones.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,277 Arc User
    Well I dunno if it's true surround sound but when I'm on Earth Orbit and warps to left or right of me the sound is so clearly directional that I sometimes think my headphones are broken.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,558 Arc User
    edited July 2021

i can see where this may lead to some people thinking it has surround, but i think this is a sound card simulating surround sound verses the game actually supporting it and providing it.
    akin to sound bars that can simulate surround if the program offered does not.
    I don't have a sound card, but I suppose the integrated sound on my motherboard could be doing the same thing.

That is entirely possible, my (rather old now) MSI Carbon motherboard sound chipset has surround capability (as a lot of others probably do too) but in my case I cannot run it with STO because STO (along with CO and Neverwinter) doesn't like the particular sound utility MSI uses with that particular board to do the surround function.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,610 Arc User
    hmm we have an old 7.1 receiver that doesn't support bluetooth. we have been toying with upgrading the receiver so we can use bluetooth and play music from our phones. the old receiver might find a home on the computer stack...
    We Want Vic Fontaine
This discussion has been closed.