test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

X and Y axis's not working for Joystick and other controllers in the PC version

magewarrior69magewarrior69 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
edited June 2021 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Since the Nov 2020 update I have been having issues with using a joystick as as the primary space battle controller, I realize that not many people in the game use them but I am a disabled veteran and can/would not play them game with out one! The major problem is that when I log in the game, if my throttle on my joystick is not centered my character slowly rotates around and while the fix is not difficult, simply go to the controller tab, click on the xbox as a controller and then click to turn it off and as long as you do not log completely out of the game it corrects the issue!

Since the latest update, the X and Y bindings no longer show up as an option in the key binds, when you push the joystick forward, backwards, left or right, in trying to set a secondary key bind, nothing happens, further even when that was working, if you have the inventory, map, interaction windows, etc; open, the joystick stops responding for pitch and yaw, until you close the windows , also that does not address the lack of other axis support that used to be available in STO, which used to allow different axis's on a HOTAS joystick to be set as button commands!!!

This was the response to a submitted ticket regarding these issues:

"I'm sorry to hear that you are no longer able to use your Logitech Logitech F710 gamepad and other controllers after the previous game patch. Upon checking, I saw similar reports from other affected players, however, I regret to inform you that we don't have an available workaround for this issue. The PC version of the game does not fully support the use of controllers as the PC version is designed to be used with a keyboard. To increase visibility for the issue, or to see if other users found a workaround, I recommend posting the issue on the official bug reports forum: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/categories/gameplay-bug-reports"

This is "Bull", everyone is well aware that the game was designed to use a mouse and keyboard as the primary controller set up but there has "Always" been the option to use the joystick or Xbox type controller as a controller and up until a few years ago you could set different button axis's in the game and there was a list of twelve joystick buttons that you could set to control different settings in the game. The 9.0 patch of the game broke the joystick control options and even in Jan 2015 when they restored basic X-Y axis control in the game it was only a partial fix which I posted about back then I.E....

Posted Jan 2015
Was very pleased when joystick support was reinstated a few patches ago to the way it was before the 9.0 update and for a time it was perfect, however after 2-3 patches an issue showed up again, when you turn the ship at half impulse or better speed it is supposed to bank the ship and not just turn it and that no longer works, there is a fix that will allow the ship to bank again by binding "joystick left" in column "2" of the keybinds beside the "A" turn command and binding "joystick right" in column "2" beside the "D" turn command.

As stated above that no longer works at all and for many handicapped or disabled persons, this is a "make or break" game issue as they cannot comfortably or at all use the basic mouse\keyboard as a control option, I hope they can come up with a fix or some how restore the original Joystick/Xbox controller functions ASAP...

Thank you for your time and attention!
Post edited by magewarrior69 on

Comments

• Options
    sherridan#6380 sherridan Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Have the same issues here, this is a real problem for me as I am handicapped and need a working joystick to play the game!
  • Options
    dina69dina69 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Same problems here, will not play without being able to use my stick!
  • Options
    famplayfamplay Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Having the same problems here also, need my joystick to play!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    :(
    Post edited by famplay on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    :'(
  • Options
    seawolf6seawolf6 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Also for me the joystick is fundamental and also to me they replied cpme the submitted ticket of magewarrior69.I hope that tomorrow with the update they rearrange the use of the joystick, sometimes Cryptic instead of improving does damage with the updates.
  • Options
    kury2kury2 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    060921 Still no solution. Unable to do space missions so falling far behind on the current episodes. Evidently not being able to do space missions is not a critical issue to the game.
  • Options
    seawolf6seawolf6 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Even today with the patch they solved the problem of the joystick not working.We need it, disappointed by Cryptic, if things work because every time you do the update patches there are always things that do not work ...
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Well its been over 3 weeks now and one entire event that people that use joysticks cannot do or play in and still no fix or official response from the DEV's, although Ambassador Kael did tell a friend of mine in in Facebook livestream, that he was aware of the problem and that he had taken it up the "chain" to his boss, who said he was not having this and that the joystick functionality would be restored/fixed, however still no "Joy", come on DEV's please get off the "stick"!!!!!
  • Options
    Literally yes!
  • Options
    sherridan#6380 sherridan Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Agreed, lets keep this thread alive until they get this problem fixed
  • Options
    edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    Haven't tried this, but if you run the game through Steam then you might be able to use Steam's controller config to set the controller up to act like a mouse as far as the game is concerned. Then it wouldn't matter what updates they do to the game.
  • Options
    chrysanthenoirchrysanthenoir Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Ambassador Kael did reply to a question about this issue in a FB livestream last night (June 30th) saying that the last he heard they are working on the issue looking for a fix but that he cannot give a timeframe for a solution. Still, grateful that he replied when asked and seeing perhaps a small light at the end of a very long tunnel.
  • Options
    Well here we are still, a third event coming up next week and still no fix in sight, at least the summer and the coming up event have ground components, so that we not lose out on the big events reward, come on Dev's we need that joystick/gamepad fix ASAP!!!!!
  • Options
    Well it has been 5 months now and still no "Official" response from the Dev's and no fix for the X & Y axis issues in STO, I know for a fact that is has been mentioned several times in the LiveStream chats and each time we have been promised a fix will be coming, I for one would like to know for sure that they are or are not going to fix this issue, so that if not I can move on to a different primary game that I play daily, come on people get off the stick and lest us know!!!!!
  • Options
    Thank you westmetals, I have tried the program you mention and was not happy with the results, further I should not have to use a "twitchy" work around for a game that I have been playing for almost a decade that had built in joystick functionality from the outset of the game!!!!!
  • Options
    pgslimpgslim Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Hi all, I am still unable to use my controller in game, when I reported the issue to ARC this is what I got back

Thank you for reaching out.

I apologize for the delay in response due to the high volume of tickets we receive. I'm sorry to hear that you are no longer able to properly use your PS4 controller. I know that it has negatively affected your gameplay experience. Let's see how I can help.

Please understand that the PC version of the game does not fully support the use of controllers as the PC version is designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse. I recommend that you reset the in-game settings to default and also post the issue on the official bug reports forum if you have the time: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/categories/gameplay-bug-reports.

Posting this on the forums is also a good way for other affected players to pitch in their ideas and experiences. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Should you have any other concerns, feel free to submit a new support ticket. Take care!

As you can imagine I was quite disappointed in this reply. Seeing as how there is a section in the setting tabs for joysticks and XBox controller plus all the time I have been using a controller this is frustrating.

I truly hope this is fixed soon.
    LLAP
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    It is against forum rules to post support correspondence. I think it is because we are not suppose to know how unhelpful they are.

But the good news is Cryptic is supposedly investigating the joystick problem. According to Som’s transcription of the relevant livefeed: “ Team is tracking the joystick issue”

Here is the source if you want to study it further:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/ptm5rd/ten_forward_weekly_92221_t6_steamrunner/
  • Options
    I was not aware that posting responses from customer support was against the forum rules...it has been almost a year now that the joystick and some console type controller functionality has been inoperative because of a update, with all of the issues that have cropped up after game patches/updates that not been fixed at all and the loss of certain game features, such as the Foundry, Individual Challenges, no more real "Exploration" missions and the partial working of certain other game features, such as Sector Space "Auto Travel" and "Transwarp" capabilities etc... since perfect world bought Cryptic, it almost seems like the original coding/programing of the game and the ability to change or really modify it was not included in the deal, now I am not a programmer so I really have no clue as to how all of that works but??? While the program "joytokey" can help restore the joystick X & Y axis functionality in the game it can not address the extra button/axis functionality I also used prior to the first joystick "break/patch" years ago, not to mention that it is a pain to get set up and working properly and I am not sure how well it works with console type controllers, I hope that soon the full joystick/controller functionality is restored!!!