test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Amazing saboteur torp idea.

varoidvaroid Member Posts: 71 Arc User
With this lobi reward we're getting eventually from the event I think, I figured it's about time I start looking for something overpowered to do with lobi items, and I thought of a really good idea, saboteur torp is a lobi torp with 33% chance to disable a random subsystem, what if you used it with concentrate firepower? Does it get more than 33% chance at high yield? Even if it doesn't, concentrate firepower lets you spam torps rapid fire anyway, so you'd probably disable shields pretty quickly... over, and OVER again.

Say you're in an ISE fighting that final tac cube or korfez and you need that final boss dead, just concentrate firepower III it, then spam saboteur torp at it over and over and make it totally defenseless while your team squashes it. With no shields all the kinetic stuff will hit straight to hull, with no weapons it won't be blowing everyone up. With no engines whatever you shoot will be immobile, ect.

Anyway, what am I missing, or could this actually work? I don't wanna spend 200 lobi on the torp just to find out this wouldn't work... lol

I'm also thinking about getting covert mine layer suite so I can lay mines even MORE rapid fire! Whuahahaha! lol
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    There's probably an internal cooldown on the torpedo's disable to prevent exactly that from happening.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    varoidvaroid Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    There's probably an internal cooldown on the torpedo's disable to prevent exactly that from happening.​​

Do you actually know that though? I know from experimentation that grav torp high yield if you spam it rapid fire you can end up with multiple vortexes. :)
  • Options
    voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    varoid wrote: »

Do you actually know that though? I know from experimentation that grav torp high yield if you spam it rapid fire you can end up with multiple vortexes. :)

While I certainly haven't tested it, most MMOs have a hard control (meaning actual holds, disables, etc... not just slows, snares, etc) resistance system that applies to the target of hard control effects rather than to the thing or player that is applying the control effect. In plainer terms, it means that the mobs (or players, in pvp) themselves become more resistant to hard control effects for a time, and it tends to stack, until they become immune for a while.... preventing permanent stun-locking.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,265 Arc User
    varoid wrote: »

While I certainly haven't tested it, most MMOs have a hard control (meaning actual holds, disables, etc... not just slows, snares, etc) resistance system that applies to the target of hard control effects rather than to the thing or player that is applying the control effect. In plainer terms, it means that the mobs (or players, in pvp) themselves become more resistant to hard control effects for a time, and it tends to stack, until they become immune for a while.... preventing permanent stun-locking.

Yeah this has been an industry standard since at least Vanilla WoW (the infamous stun lock rogue there actually had to employ other skills besides stuns to get around the immunity).

The chance of STO not having a system like this seems highly unlikely.
  • Options
    I don't think it started with WoW - I think it came about as a result of stun-locking in Diablo 2.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I don't think it started with WoW - I think it came about as a result of stun-locking in Diablo 2.​​

That's why I said "at least" I've not played Diablo 2 so wasn't familiar with that example. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Diablo 2 wasn't originator either but rather it came about from the old turn based single player RPGs in some form and Diablo 2 was the first time it was used in a real time multiplayer game.

Either way it's been an industry standard for a long time and there's no logical reason to assume Cryptic didn't follow this standard.

EDIT:As a rule of thumb if you can figure out a super OP tactic that even a 6 year old could employ without effort, it's safe to assume there's some hidden mechanics that prevent that from happening.
  • Options
    But this is Cryptic we're talking about - the company famous for constantly missing the forest for the trees.​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    But this is Cryptic we're talking about - the company famous for constantly missing the forest for the trees.​​

They have decent enough track record with these things, too good one might say, the "missing the obvious" typically comes when they try something new (to them) not implementing things that have been around longer then they have.
  • Options

Maybe, but STO wasn't Cryptic's first MMO, and City of Heroes dealt with hard control stacking in multiple ways (not necessarily the same way for PVE and PVP). Even if they used the early and clumsy method (high resistance paired with timed, cyclic immunity periods for bossier-than-usual bosses) it would deal with this sort of stun-locking scheme.

For anything other than major enemies in STO there'd really be no point in any sort of control scheme since they'd die faster than you could implement it.
  • Options

Maybe, but STO wasn't Cryptic's first MMO, and City of Heroes dealt with hard control stacking in multiple ways (not necessarily the same way for PVE and PVP). Even if they used the early and clumsy method (high resistance paired with timed, cyclic immunity periods for bossier-than-usual bosses) it would deal with this sort of stun-locking scheme.

For anything other than major enemies in STO there'd really be no point in any sort of control scheme since they'd die faster than you could implement it.
    at the high end sure but we should remember that a vast majority of STO players don't do 100+k DPS on a bad day, I'd guess most of them can't even do 50+ k DPS on a good day and there it would count.

Sure we got few ultra high DPS players but we also got way more low DPS players and Cryptic would be as braindead stupid as people here in the forums suggest if they balanced the game based on the top 1%
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote:
    at the high end sure but we should remember that a vast majority of STO players don't do 100+k DPS on a bad day, I'd guess most of them can't even do 50+ k DPS on a good day and there it would count.

Oh I know that most people aren't vaporizing bigger enemies in a nanosecond or anything, but most people who have been playing at max level for a little while are capable of essplodin' STO's equivalent of "trash mobs" pretty reliably and at a reasonable pace. The high DPS long-time players are tearing through the major enemies like a hot knife through butter, too.
    spiritborn wrote:
    Sure we got few ultra high DPS players but we also got way more low DPS players and Cryptic would be as braindead stupid as people here in the forums suggest if they balanced the game based on the top 1%

I'm certainly not one of those top 1% dpsers myself, but Cryptic already balances some content around high-performance player capabilities. Some of those discovery-era patrols are going to be a rough proctology exam for newer players with timed waves of enemies with raider flanking and the like.

Typical enemies... meaning most things that aren't considered dreadnoughts or borg cubes... are going to either die too fast to waste time trying to do targeted disables and controls on, or be too plentiful for it to be a useful strategy. You'd generally only want to do a focused attempt against a large and tough target that will take time to take down, and those are usually highly resistant to secondary effects.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,804 Arc User
    Completely disabling enemies is actually very easy if you own the Titan. Its console does exactly that: disabling multiple enemies by firing special torpedoes, 12 seconds long.

For 3000 or 2400 zen you can have it on all characters. It's not a weapon of course and as a console it has a 2 minute cooldown (assuming you're not using stuff like Unconventional systems to bring that down) but it works great if you want to make a boss fight easier.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
This discussion has been closed.