test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

@Ambassador Kael - regarding broken cloak talked in Ten Forward Weekly.

doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
In Ten Forward Weekly around 38 minutes in you guys talk about the cloak being broken only on console that is not quiet the case. Here is a video where it shows the same issue persists on PC as well and experienced it with every ship where I use the battle cloak in my rotation. Here is a link to a short video where you can hear the sounds of the cloaking / uncloaking but the ship does not uncloak. The only way i get the ship to uncloak at that point is to pick up loot. So I must say I'm not sure why you guys are not aware of that since I'm sure there is at least one or two forum posts and I'm sure people opened tickets about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Rt5L4t7UU
C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    I assume it's some kind of client-side latency thing similar to when you get a cooldown for firing a torpedo at the edge of your firing arc, but the server says no - you're left with the cooldown but didn't actually shoot.

It boggles the mind that they don't just make the cloak action a singular double-sided ability(if cloaked: uncloak; else: cloak), or atleast run the uncloak instruction at the beginning of the cloak button being pressed as a stopgap/contingency.

..now the word Cloak looks funny/unusual to me..
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    Have the same problem on the PC as well and have heard of plenty of others.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    >> Slightly off-topic: they're working on cloaking bug for consoles, but the fact that it's not as prevalent on the PC hinders the process.

"Not as prevalent" is not "does not happen."

They probably have better debugging tools for PC (open Windows OS where 25+ years worth of tools exist) and can track down bugs with less work.

I've had the cloak lock happen a couple of times on PC in TFOs, but if Cryptic staff can't find a recipe to make it happen 100% on demand then it can be very slow going to fix. If a bug is intermittent then you can't easily tell whether a change worked, you can only tell that it failed if the bug eventually happens again.

Test, test, test, test, test, bug!, look at logs, come up with possible fix, build. Test, test, test, test, test, test, (yay?), test, BUG! Grrr, try again.

Edit: at work this week (not at Cryptic) I think I've finally solved two problems with keyboard hotkeys sometimes going dead that has plagued our application for years. This is the fifth time I've worked on this, with earlier attempts solving some instances of the issue but not all of them. One of them turned out to be that the toolbar was stealing focus and not returning it even when clicking on inactive buttons. The other was Chromium silently turning on raw keyboard input and conflicting with our keyboard handling.
    Post edited by davefenestrator on
  • Options
    >> Slightly off-topic: they're working on cloaking bug for consoles, but the fact that it's not as prevalent on the PC hinders the process.

They probably have better debugging tools for PC (open Windows OS where 25+ years worth of tools exist) and can track down bugs with less work.

I've had the cloak lock happen a couple of times on PC in TFOs, but if Cryptic staff can't find a recipe to make it happen 100% on demand then it can be very slow going to fix. If a bug is intermittent then you can't easily tell whether a change worked, you can only tell that it failed if the bug eventually happens again.

Test, test, test, test, test, bug!, look at logs, come up with possible fix, build. Test, test, test, test, test, test, (yay?), test, BUG! Grrr, try again.

Edit: at work this week (not at Cryptic) I think I've finally solved two problems with keyboard hotkeys sometimes going dead that has plagued our application for years. This is the fifth time I've worked on this, with earlier attempts solving some instances of the issue but not all of them. One of them turned out to be that the toolbar was stealing focus and not returning it even when clicking on inactive buttons. The other was Chromium silently turning on raw keyboard input and conflicting with our keyboard handling.

What get's me is that this bug came around the same time the KDF Recruit came out. It's somewhat shocking to me that now a few months later nobody knows of its existence on PC. I do admit I don't write tickets anymore for exactly that reason. I have felt in the passed that they are simply ignored or not passed on or however their process is for them. But there was so many people who complained I'm sure there was a few Ticket writer among them.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User

What get's me is that this bug came around the same time the KDF Recruit came out. It's somewhat shocking to me that now a few months later nobody knows of its existence on PC. I do admit I don't write tickets anymore for exactly that reason. I have felt in the passed that they are simply ignored or not passed on or however their process is for them. But there was so many people who complained I'm sure there was a few Ticket writer among them.

The bug has been around for a while, but it became really noticeable with everyone trying to get ambush kills.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    Since it happens less on PC I wonder if it could somehow be hardware related? Does anyone know if it happens less on Xbox Series X and PS5?

I myself have never been stuck in cloak, my basic PC specs are:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
    RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200
    GPU: RTX 2080 Super

I also have STO installed on a SSD, though I doubt that would have anything to do with this bug.

Jeremy said on the stream that when they copy someone's character that currently has the bug and load it into their test server the bug clears itself, so I'm wondering if the cause is client side.
    Post edited by evilmark444 on
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    nikephorus wrote: »

The bug has been around for a while, but it became really noticeable with everyone trying to get ambush kills.

I don't know about that. Like I said I used battle cloak in my auto rotation and took it off. For me it hasn't happened before until around the time when the KDF recruit came out.

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    I don't know if tagging someone in the title works, but I'll tag him here and also message him to let him know you have some video of it.

@ambassadorkael#6946
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator

I don't know about that. Like I said I used battle cloak in my auto rotation and took it off. For me it hasn't happened before until around the time when the KDF recruit came out.

It looks like you're trying to use a macro for your rotation. Are you using one of the macro programs out there or how are you making it work? I have some ideas for testing, is why I ask.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    The cloak is also broken in the same way as described in the OP on my Klingun Recruit (PC) and I dun use any macros.
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    I've had it broke once in SB1, I can't recall how I unbroke it (there's still an issue so it's not fixed but I was able to decloak), to me it seems a case of this happening in a high stress (for the server) situation. It seems to me that during these situations sometimes (not always as I've had this happen only once to me) your hardware is unable to make sense of this and does not properly decloak you (at least in my case my ship had the normal graphics and had lost the stealth aspect but I remained cloaked as far as my weapons and shields were concerned).
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    On Console, this bug is nothing new. It has litterally been around since the game launched for Consoles. It is only now getting some attention from the community because of the Recruitment event and the (re?)appearance of the bug on PC.
  • Options

It looks like you're trying to use a macro for your rotation. Are you using one of the macro programs out there or how are you making it work? I have some ideas for testing, is why I ask.

I don't use a macro. I do use keybinds though for my rotation.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I don't use either for cloaking, I use keybinds for certain things but game is slow paced enough that it's not vital and I still had this issue. I suspect this issue never went away on PC but since PCs in general tend to be more powerful then last gen consoles and the game was originally made for PC it didn't show up often enough for people to notice it until cloak use became much more common.

As I stated before I think due to the game getting resourced starved for a moment the decloaking isn't able to run properly to the end and instead gets stuck in the middle of the action where you're both cloaked and decloaked the same time.

This would also explain why it copying the character seems to clear the bug as the issue is client side (though caused by a issue in STO itself having bad coding).
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    There is also the glitch with enhanced battle cloak where it shows your shields off-line in your power levels display, but on-line in your shield status display.
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator

can any of your keybinds set off more than one power? also are you able to get any combat logs from missions where the bug has been happening? that can also help narrow things down. so far what's in this thread has been the only clear footage of the bug I've seen from start to finish.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options

can any of your keybinds set off more than one power? also are you able to get any combat logs from missions where the bug has been happening? that can also help narrow things down. so far what's in this thread has been the only clear footage of the bug I've seen from start to finish.

I can try to reproduce the bug and have the combatlog running. The keybind shouldn't be able to use 2 skills at the same time however with lag and delays I can't assure you 100% that it doesn't happen. It's like when you play without keybinds you use a skill and nothing happens and you click on it again and again and maybe it shows up or it doesn't but you get the cooldown anyway. But under normal circumstances the keybind should launch one skill at a time.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    For crying out loud.

Press button, Cloak on.
    Press button again, Cloak off.

Do suitable checks. If On, then pressing button turns it Off. If Off, then pressing button turns it On. Check Timers.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    For crying out loud.

Press button, Cloak on.
    Press button again, Cloak off.

Do suitable checks. If On, then pressing button turns it Off. If Off, then pressing button turns it On. Check Timers.

Uhm no. Because trying to figure out what causes it and it gets causes under the condition I play with the keybind so I will test it that way. If you like to test it any other way you are welcome to do that.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @darkbladejk So I reproduced the problem at the first try. At around 3.30 minute while playing Starbase One the ship goes into cloak and only comes out later after I pick up loot. I also recorded a combat log which you hopefull can get access too >>here<<

Also here is the full video of the TFO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rJIEToOLYI
    (currently still processing)
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I'm not talking about the problems we have and trying to reproduce them now. My comment was focused on how we got here. What should have been simple routines has gotten us into a spaghetti casserole.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    I'm not talking about the problems we have and trying to reproduce them now. My comment was focused on how we got here. What should have been simple routines has gotten us into a spaghetti casserole.

true but that's more a case of having due with 2 development teams and a fairly rushed launch that caused legacy issues down the road rather then any intentional attempt to make it work badly.

I'm guessing that cloaking used to be part of a more complex system of starship stealth that was never finished. even today cloaking is not an on/off option but related to the "Stealth" stat, with after a certain "stealth" threshold is reach a ship is considered cloaked.

Something is this more complex system is causing the issue, it's not a case of Cryptic being too incompetent to make simple on/off option correctly.
  • Options
    Sorry man then I misunderstood you.
  • Options
    kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    imma just pop this in here since kael said he would make efforts to be involved more in the forum community...

as with most things, it started out good. made several posts, and then after about a week... poof! not to be seen or heard from since.

i guess twit, FB, and twitch are the preferred platforms anymore. sad really, as like myself and others have expressed, we dont have or want accounts from those other platforms.

oh well. he tried for a week.

Imma just gonna point out that that week he was back on here happened to coincide with a lot of potential revenue for Cryptic/PWE on the line.
    Now that's no longer the case, we're back to being the vocal minority again complaining about wanting irrational things like fixes for bugged cloaks, T6 Novas or the return of those Klingon War episodes they took out 'for revamping'.
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    > @kurtron said:
    > Imma just gonna point out that that week he was back on here happened to coincide with a lot of potential revenue for Cryptic/PWE on the line.
    > Now that's no longer the case, we're back to being the vocal minority again complaining about wanting irrational things like fixes for bugged cloaks, T6 Novas or the return of those Klingon War episodes they took out 'for revamping'.

Round up the usual suspects...

But honestly Reddit and Twitter have millions of users and thousands of followers. How many people are regularly using this forum. I bet you can list the most frequent posters. It is probably less than a thousand, right. Maybe more people read but don’t post. I am sure vanilla gives Cryptic those numbers. Twitter business account also gives statistics for interaction.

I am sure Kael would be required to post more here if Cryptic really thought it would reach a significant number of customers.

I want them to bring back the missing Klingon war episodes too, though.
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    > @kurtron said:
    > Imma just gonna point out that that week he was back on here happened to coincide with a lot of potential revenue for Cryptic/PWE on the line.
    > Now that's no longer the case, we're back to being the vocal minority again complaining about wanting irrational things like fixes for bugged cloaks, T6 Novas or the return of those Klingon War episodes they took out 'for revamping'.

Round up the usual suspects...

But honestly Reddit and Twitter have millions of users and thousands of followers. How many people are regularly using this forum. I bet you can list the most frequent posters. It is probably less than a thousand, right. Maybe more people read but don’t post. I am sure vanilla gives Cryptic those numbers. Twitter business account also gives statistics for interaction.

I am sure Kael would be required to post more here if Cryptic really thought it would reach a significant number of customers.

I want them to bring back the missing Klingon war episodes too, though.

Too bad that every platform is considered "a vocal minority" unsless there's ton of money on the table. In which case, we suddenly aren't.
    Kael has stopped coming to the forums be cause we are "mean" to him - because yes, holding him accountable for NOT doing his job is being mean now - and much prefers going to whine on Twitter about it and then popping over to Reddit to write wall-of-texts full of half truths and inconsistencies.

The fact remains: these ARE the official forums, no matter how many people use them, and he IS the Community Manager - on paper, at least, because he's obviously incapable of doing his supposed job.
    So yes, he IS required to post here.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
This discussion has been closed.