test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When is Lower Decks ships coming to STO?

skepicoolskepicool Member Posts: 20 Arc User
Now they did give us the doffs on the Federation side, but when are the ships coming into the game?

I really enjoyed the show, more than I enjoyed Discovery or Picard & thats a little odd because TNG was my favorite, but we are already are seeing ships from Discovery season 3 & thats cool but... There's a lot they can do from Lower Decks & it looks like its being skipped.

The California class like the USS Cerritos it self, the Parliament class like the USS Vancouver in episode 5, the Pakled ships seen in episode 10, the Klingon Bird of Prey in episode 9, & heck even the background ships seen at Douglas Station.

Uniforms, ground weapons, starbases Etc there's a lot they could do from Lower Decks and I was just wondering if anyone knows when they're planning to put some stuff in the game? :)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• gilleylen#2528 gilleylen Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    we did not get notified about anything about Discovery until Season 2 was over, that was just WAVE 1.. before Season 3 came out, we got starting on Season 2 content, when Season 4 was over we got Discovery Klingons.. I would say after Lower Decks started or finished its second season,... Maybe after Prodigy releases
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    I am not a fan of Fed ships, but I do like that Parliment class.
  • gilleylen#2528 gilleylen Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    anything can be better than the designs that has moved away from the TNG, it will be nice to have some NEW next generation
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    we did not get notified about anything about Discovery until Season 2 was over, that was just WAVE 1.. before Season 3 came out, we got starting on Season 2 content, when Season 4 was over we got Discovery Klingons.. I would say after Lower Decks started or finished its second season,... Maybe after Prodigy releases

There's only been 3 seasons of Discovery . . .
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Cryptic has said they are looking at how best to do Lower Decks content given how its so visually, and tonally, different from all other Trek, which makes it harder to just add in.

In addition to that, they've also said that they want to wait until after season 2 of LD because someone involved with the show said the California class has a cool ability that will finally get shown off which is the kind of thing Cryptic would use for a console or trait to go with the ship.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • mattingly1mattingly1 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    We've been collectively waiting for a fair number of ships - in addition to Lower Decks stuff, there's the T6 Nova, T6 Oberth, and the Legendary D7, all of which have collectively been confirmed to be 'in the works' (though this seems to mean very little).
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,319 Arc User
    To be honest apart from the doffs we got already it's kind of hard to do Lower Decks content due to both the more humorous tone and more importantly Cryptic has to figure out what of the art style is suppose to be the "real look" and what's exaggeration due to the cartoony artstyle.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    To be honest apart from the doffs we got already it's kind of hard to do Lower Decks content due to both the more humorous tone and more importantly Cryptic has to figure out what of the art style is suppose to be the "real look" and what's exaggeration due to the cartoony artstyle.

Why would humorous tone be a problem?

And if they wanna use characters in game, the Doff cards, for a couple of weeks, were in game style. Use that, if it's a problem.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    the Doff cards, for a couple of weeks, were in game style. Use that, if it's a problem.

CBS didn't like those characters appearing more realistic due to branding, that's why they got changed. As for the ships I'd kind of like to see a cel shaded vanity shield to go with them, if they feel a lore explanation is necessary for it they could link it to Q somehow.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The Titan is however in game and not toonified, and LD marks it's only canon appearance.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The Titan is however in game and not toonified, and LD marks it's only canon appearance.

Thomas explained that on Kael's stream, they made a conscious decision to base the T6 on the old novel version of the Luna rather than the LD version so that they could avoid any issues.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User

The Titan was already in game though, wasn't it?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,422 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »

The Titan was already in game though, wasn't it?
    Has been for a while - the T5 Luna-class star cruiser, IIRC. (I know it was Luna-class, not sure about the tier. Never really cared for the look, so I never got one.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,319 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

Why would humorous tone be a problem?
    since it's different from your typical STO tone (though if all you have is ships it's less of an issue) so the Cryptic team will have figure out how to write so that it fits the STO tone while staying true to the source material.
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    I loved Lower Decks, one of the most interesting Star Trek Shows in awhile.

That said, it has a similar issue to Picard in that if it contradicts the STO timeline too much I worry there could be issues.

In keeping with the subject matter, though, I think the most LD thing that STO could do would be new Duty Officer missions, maybe a new DOFF pack to go with it where everyone is cel shaded. Don't have to be on screen character names. Would fit well with some QoL updates to that system, such as tracking chains, updating the rare missions so they're not all right on sector borders. Something.

I'll start with a few:
    Reevaluate Second Contact Protocols
    Adjust Crew Scheduling for Buffer Time Mandates

And of course
    Evaluate Sentient Exocomp Crew Application
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    I wonder if they'll add the Pakled ships to this game, also how did the Pakleds join the federation considering that LD takes place in the 24/25th century.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    the Doff cards, for a couple of weeks, were in game style. Use that, if it's a problem.

CBS didn't like those characters appearing more realistic due to branding, that's why they got changed. As for the ships I'd kind of like to see a cel shaded vanity shield to go with them, if they feel a lore explanation is necessary for it they could link it to Q somehow.

It would be an interesting mix, throwing in a bit of Champions Online cel shading :)
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    It'd be great to throw in a story arc that's on the humourous side, if anything else to bring in some comic relief. Besides, it wasn't all laughs in Lower Decks, they did delve into the more dramatic time to time. It's was as much a satire as it was a parody.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    It'd be great to throw in a story arc that's on the humourous side, if anything else to bring in some comic relief. Besides, it wasn't all laughs in Lower Decks, they did delve into the more dramatic time to time. It's was as much a satire as it was a parody.

LD isn't as much of a parody as it is an homage, really. It emulates the TNG style of story telling/structure, shots, direction and even the plots almost exactly - which explains that people who like TNG especially can find a lot to love about LD.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2021
    skepicool wrote: »
    Now they did give us the doffs on the Federation side, but when are the ships coming into the game?

I really enjoyed the show, more than I enjoyed Discovery or Picard & thats a little odd because TNG was my favorite, but we are already are seeing ships from Discovery season 3 & thats cool but... There's a lot they can do from Lower Decks & it looks like its being skipped.

The California class like the USS Cerritos it self, the Parliament class like the USS Vancouver in episode 5, the Pakled ships seen in episode 10, the Klingon Bird of Prey in episode 9, & heck even the background ships seen at Douglas Station.

I think they will introduce one more once Season 2 airs. They did introduce the Titan which we saw in the series final. I think they've approached it similar to how they did with the Sommerville though, modernizing the skin based on our timeline from that which we saw in the show. Star Trek: Lower Decks is set in 2380, or around the time the movies ended.

https://youtu.be/fFbABDEmCAA
    I've also heard with Season 2 of Lower Decks, were going to see or learn more about the Cerritos, while it's know to be not the best ship in the fleet. I've heard Season 2 has a few special surprises about the ship we will learn about. So I think STO has decided to hold off perhaps, at least till we've seen some of those on screen.

Still I <3 the Titan Ship.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,718 Arc User

It would be an interesting mix, throwing in a bit of Champions Online cel shading :)

From what I heard the problem would be that Champions does not use true cell shading on the models, it just adds a black outline to simulate a drawing at that level. The odd flat lighting that really makes it all look like something out of a comic (or at least suggests it anyway) comes from the environment, it is not from the models themselves, so either everything looks that way or nothing does.
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I loved Lower Decks, one of the most interesting Star Trek Shows in awhile.

That said, it has a similar issue to Picard in that if it contradicts the STO timeline too much I worry there could be issues.
    Huh? Nothing in Lower Decks contradicts STO, at all.

I didn't say that it did. Or at least, I didn't mean it had, but that its place in the timeline has the possibility of doing so. If anything, I was thinking of very loose and marginally important things, such as Pakleds in Starfleet in STO vs. the S1 finale of LD. I guess that's not a contradiction if that happens later. Like I said, more of just a "I hope it doesn't" feeling.

Now excuse me, I need to talk to my Barkeep about supplying Romulan Whiskey. I've heard the Republic-era Whiskeys from Mol'Rihan have a spicier flavor profile compared to the Imperial stuff, and I want to find out for sure.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    Now excuse me, I need to talk to my Barkeep about supplying Romulan Whiskey. I've heard the Republic-era Whiskeys from Mol'Rihan have a spicier flavor profile compared to the Imperial stuff, and I want to find out for sure.

It's definitely spicier, our secret ingredient is shredded dilithium crystals to add that extra kick to the drink, if anyone asks you didn't hear it from me.
This discussion has been closed.