test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I've had a revelation...

telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
So, for the past few years (at least, those that I've been around playing, I just came back from a 2 year break), the game's combat particularly in space has just felt wrong. Almost every mission is wave after wave after wave of dozens upon dozens of enemies, which just doesn't feel like star trek. Some of the largest battles we ever saw onscreen were a couple dozen ships tops, and even battle of the binary stars only had 24 klingon ships - not the hundreds we fight against in the TFO now.

Tonight, after some astounding luck with lockboxes, I got ahold of the Liberated Borg Command Juggernaut, and started up a new character with the intention of it being entirely borg themed. Picked up the lobi exosuit/weapon, using the borg juggernaut, got some better assimilated plasma guns, borg themed consoles, the works.

So I'm doing patrol missions just grinding away to get a few levels, and for the first time in as long as I can remember... the missions feel right. It feels perfectly natural having hundreds of ships coming in to fight you when you're in a borg ship. It feels just like the few scenes in the shows/movies where we've seen the federation (and allies) going up against the borg: dozens of ships going against a single cube and the cube tearing them to pieces. Only this time, I was the cube (or whatever the borg juggernaut is).

The only conclusion I can draw from this is that all of this new content, all of these missions, were always intended to be played from a borg point of view. I think it's time we get a borg collective faction, cryptic.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    A Borg COLLECTIVE faction will never happen. A Borg COOPERATIVE faction almost certainly will, eventually. There is simply too much money that could be made selling some big Borg faction ship/gear pack for them not to eventually go there.

That said, it's worth remembering that the most any new "faction" gets these days is a short intro and then they are forced to basically pick Starfleet or KDF. So, if we're being honest, you flying around in your Borg Jugg right now is basically the same thing that a Borg Coop faction would be once you get past whatever little intro they start with.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2021
    So, for the past few years (at least, those that I've been around playing, I just came back from a 2 year break), the game's combat particularly in space has just felt wrong. Almost every mission is wave after wave after wave of dozens upon dozens of enemies, which just doesn't feel like star trek.

Still you're right, often Star Trek showed confrontations with often 1 ship verses 1; or in a game of Cat and Mouse was maybe 3-4 verse 1-2. Only extremely rare situations like the one involving Picard, where he suspected Romulan's were helping the Klingons--Duras not the most noble House. Though there Sela was also to blame...

It certainly would be nice to see a little more 1, 2, or 3 verses each player a little bit more in several Missions! Still I realize several missions or Patrol's you have sometimes 1 or 2 vessels with you; but it's a bit too often 2-3 verse like waves of 5-9x, who then warp in more and more waves...
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    A Borg COLLECTIVE faction will never happen. A Borg COOPERATIVE faction almost certainly will, eventually. There is simply too much money that could be made selling some big Borg faction ship/gear pack for them not to eventually go there.

That said, it's worth remembering that the most any new "faction" gets these days is a short intro and then they are forced to basically pick Starfleet or KDF. So, if we're being honest, you flying around in your Borg Jugg right now is basically the same thing that a Borg Coop faction would be once you get past whatever little intro they start with.

100% agreed with all of this. The only reason to roll a Borg Cooperative faction (whenever it inevitably happens) will be for the also inevitable accompanying recruitment event.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Reason why the fights in STO don't "feel" like Trek is that TOS, TNG and ENT were at essentially peace time, VOY was middle of nowhere from the AQ/BQ point of view. Notice that in DS9 and DSC we do get battles involving dozens of ships (hundreds in case of the DS9 battles which still hold the record of most ships in a single battle IIRC).

What's common with DS9, DSC and STO is that they're set during war time. also while we may not see more then a few dozen ships at once some of these battles have their ship counts stated and do match what we see on screen. Due the nature of the genre STO cannot hide ships behind the camera as the player has 100% control of the camera.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User

You can start off as a member of the Borg Collective in the tutorial and then get freed by the Borg Cooperative, the Cooperative themselves would be considered Alliance allies/members and it can be made up of various borgified races that LTS members don't have access to like Vulcans, Gorn and Remans, plus the fact that the Borg are one of the most requested playable factions that's not in the game.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Reason why the fights in STO don't "feel" like Trek is that TOS, TNG and ENT were at essentially peace time, VOY was middle of nowhere from the AQ/BQ point of view. Notice that in DS9 and DSC we do get battles involving dozens of ships (hundreds in case of the DS9 battles which still hold the record of most ships in a single battle IIRC).

What's common with DS9, DSC and STO is that they're set during war time. also while we may not see more then a few dozen ships at once some of these battles have their ship counts stated and do match what we see on screen. Due the nature of the genre STO cannot hide ships behind the camera as the player has 100% control of the camera.

ok, but do we see one ship vs hundreds? even the patrols where maybe 3 join in with you, its still way off balance.

Honestly I can't recall a single patrol where you had to fight hundreds of ships, few dozen maybe but even that BQ patrol where you have to save that research base from the Elachi (the UFP one where you get no back up) has what 5-6 groups of less then 10 ships each and you rarely fight more then 1 group at once.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited February 2021

ok, but do we see one ship vs hundreds?

No. But this is not just "Star Trek" but also "MMO". Which brings it's own collection of un-realities to the situation.

edit: and also the skill & time of the dev team. The way that power creep has gone, to provide any challenge to the player with just a couple enemy ships would require much better AI & tactics, I'd think. Which means lots of programming.
    (well, or the game could just blatantly cheat, but that wouldn't be well received, either.)
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    It is particularly annoying to see the constant 1 v 50 missions and patrols. This endless wave mechanic is by far one of the worst ideas they've done and always takes me out of any immersion in the mission. About the only place it works to some degree is the H'urq because of what they are.

As far as I can figure the only reason that exists is to force the metrics of time spent in a mission.

The idea of a war setting also isn't done right outside the Iconian war arc.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Because of the vast difference in both ship and gear power levels between players, I honestly don't think the devs can design a 1v1 battle that isn't a cakewalk for some while being impossible for others.

The enemy would have to scale in power based not simply on the player's level, but on the gear of your ship. But I agree, the huge battles in basically every mission don't feel like Trek and are getting tiresome.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Because of the vast difference in both ship and gear power levels between players, I honestly don't think the devs can design a 1v1 battle that isn't a cakewalk for some while being impossible for others.

The enemy would have to scale in power based not simply on the player's level, but on the gear of your ship. But I agree, the huge battles in basically every mission don't feel like Trek and are getting tiresome.

That is what difficulty levels are for. It should not be the philosophy of the mission design to build a mission that always provides 3.581 minutes of space combat per encounter.

Frankly this is no different than the excruciatingly formulaic 'exactly 5 enemy groups' from the game launch.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User

I think the time has passed on that, I doubt the Devs are even going to make any more sub factions

1: For Delta Rising they should about player Cooperative but decided not to for reasons (Including the lazy one saying players couldn't handle flying a sphere because there is no defined front. People had no problem flying spheres and cubes in SFC3)

2: The Devs have been growing lazier and lazier and made this big deal about adding Discovery Klingons...took them over a year to do that when all they basically did was copy and paste Klingons and give them Discovery Klingon skins. Especially with the recruit event I think people were expecting a sub faction.

3: The Devs have been growing lazier and lazier
  • Options
    spielman1 wrote: »

they said the same thing for the romulans and then they added theme complained it wasnt provatable for theme cause they didnt listen to the community and made all factions tell you that you shoulda made a federation character

Once the Scimitar was released (which was the pinnacle of dps for years) they stopped caring about Romulans, they put the kibosh on them with the poorly made Arkif, once again using the Bortasqu effect as their go to excuse.
  • Options
    lianthelia wrote: »

I think the time has passed on that, I doubt the Devs are even going to make any more sub factions

1: For Delta Rising they should about player Cooperative but decided not to for reasons (Including the lazy one saying players couldn't handle flying a sphere because there is no defined front. People had no problem flying spheres and cubes in SFC3)

2: The Devs have been growing lazier and lazier and made this big deal about adding Discovery Klingons...took them over a year to do that when all they basically did was copy and paste Klingons and give them Discovery Klingon skins. Especially with the recruit event I think people were expecting a sub faction.

Exactly I was expecting them to add a sub faction for this recruitment event but they didn't, I'm still waiting for them to add disco klingon BOFFs to complete the theme of a disco captain, the factions are literally the best parts of this game and it's one of the reasons why I keep coming back to this game every time they announce a new one.
  • Options

Exactly I was expecting them to add a sub faction for this recruitment event but they didn't, I'm still waiting for them to add disco klingon BOFFs to complete the theme of a disco captain, the factions are literally the best parts of this game and it's one of the reasons why I keep coming back to this game every time they announce a new one.

I was kinda hoping for one because I wanted the neon green effects (green is my favorite color)

This whole event has been kinda a let down to be honest...but then again so has this "Year of the Klingon", it's probably the worst recruitment event with the worst rewards (and don't "but a free T6 ship" me...it's there basically as a free scaling ship for new players but it's the worst T6 ship in the game and has some of the same stats as a unupgraded T5 ship).

But the devs have hated Klingons since the beginning so it's no surprise they get the shaft again

And don't get me started on the farce of a legendary collection for 2021 :#
  • Options

I was kinda hoping for one because I wanted the neon green effects (green is my favorite color)

This whole event has been kinda a let down to be honest...but then again so has this "Year of the Klingon", it's probably the worst recruitment event with the worst rewards (and don't "but a free T6 ship" me...it's there basically as a free scaling ship for new players but it's the worst T6 ship in the game and has some of the same stats as a unupgraded T5 ship).

But the devs have hated Klingons since the beginning so it's no surprise they get the shaft again

And don't get me started on the farce of a legendary collection for 2021 :#

the Devs hate anything that's not Federation based, us Romulans had a mission where we undo JJ trek only for it to be invaded by the Borg and apparently using the annorax on the borg transwarp portal still causes our homeworld to be destroyed, hopefully Picard season 2 does some time travel TRIBBLE and undoes it's destruction.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User

The dev team is smaller not lazier. Just because you do not agree with their reasons which you are free to do so, does not make them lazy.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    sthe91 wrote: »
    The dev team is smaller not lazier. Just because you do not agree with their reasons which you are free to do so, does not make them lazy.
    Don't even bother. Their argument for everything is that the devs are lazy. And anyone who doesn't want the same things they do just wants the game to stagnate.

Why not just hire more Devs, it would put an end to this debate once and for all, I rather not pick sides in this, and I'm pretty much enabling both sides by agreeing with everyone.
  • Options
    revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    > @paradox#7391 said:
    > Why not just hire more Devs, it would put an end to this debate once and for all, I rather not pick sides in this, and I'm pretty much enabling both sides by agreeing with everyone.

Let’s be honest, that would be ideal. But that also means STO would cost more to produce, which cuts into profit margins, and all that. Also, working on an 11-year-old program that no one knows how half it works is significantly less appealing than being on the team of a newer game that can be more easily dealt with. Unless you’re into hating your life trying to unravel bad code, which you very well might be.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter

Still I suspect your likely right on that note!

It would be nice if some enemy could scale based on the (Average) mark of your Weaspons &/or quality; but then that would be complicated when playing in teams, unless they took the average across the team...
    0zxlclk.png
This discussion has been closed.