test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

thoughts (likes/dislikes) about klink recruit event...

keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
what are all your thoughts?

my dislikes thus far are the 50 endev points and the random queues with the other mandatory queues.

the rest im good with.
meh

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Yeah, definitely not thrilled with those. The best part of Endeavors is that you can do them across your characters (picking the right one for the job), and this task just totally undercuts that.

(And I'm not going to do the randoms one at all - I barely do any TFOs, and only the few simple/straightforward ones that I'm familiar with. So I've never used the Random TFO system on any character, and don't anticipate that I ever will.)

The melee & ambush kills are a bit tedious, but I'm getting through them. The rest will either just take time, or are waiting to get to the level they unlock at.

Overall, this recruit event feels a lot more 'repetitive grind' than previous ones. I have to wonder if they actually intended it to attract "new" players (as opposed to getting current players to play more KDF and/or other game aspects they think are underused - like melee, cloaking/ambush, random TFO's...), since it doesn't feel like it makes STO look attractive?
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    the ship. I was expecting a canon B'rel. instead, it's THAT thing, from $7d
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    In pursuing the melee and ambush totals, I've changed up playstyle quite a bit - never enjoyed melee much before, and even on this toon I'm having to relearn how to change targets. Fortunately, my BOffs help make up the difference in kill speed. Glad one of them has Torpedo Spread, because that makes it easier to tag several targets just before I drop cloak for the ambush.

One thing I haven't been enjoying has been the last Assassination Target, aboard the Batlh. He appears above or below the deck, and I had to restart that part of the mission three times before he would show up somewhere that I could fight him. Hopefully that particular bug can get squashed soon, and with extreme prejudice.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    At first I was a bit disapointed with the recruitment rewards. Sum of marks we can get.

It changed when they threw another 150 perks to earn at us.

10% more XP is nothing to sneeze at here and some of the reward boxes hand out aditional perk points. Havent done any math but from gut feeling the recruit will shave off a moth of the perkpoint grind for me. god knows how much more if they keep on adding more.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    Yeah not a fan of how many randoms need to be played and all the endeavor grinding. Everything else has been fine, enjoyed the melee kill task, ambushes where annoying until you get to the Delta arc + where the spawns start to be large and you can wipe out 6+ ships in a single decloak.

The rewards are also a double edged sword, on one hand its nice that they aren't amazing so I don't feel pressured to grind through all those randoms right away, but on the other hand they are lackluster so playing that many randoms/doing that many endeavors on the recruit is meh
  • Options
    eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I would have liked something more with the Enemies of the Empire. Spreading them out in more episodes than just the starting arcs, adding a few more. It's forgettable very quickly.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely not thrilled with those. The best part of Endeavors is that you can do them across your characters (picking the right one for the job), and this task just totally undercuts that.

Overall, this recruit event feels a lot more 'repetitive grind' than previous ones. I have to wonder if they actually intended it to attract "new" players (as opposed to getting current players to play more KDF and/or other game aspects they think are underused - like melee, cloaking/ambush, random TFO's...), since it doesn't feel like it makes STO look attractive?

are you sure about the fact you can share endev completions across the board? because the details say "with your klingon recruit."

You're misunderstanding, see "this task just totally undercuts that." In other words, the nice thing about endeavors was that you could do them on any character, especially useful for damage endeavors. However we are strongly encouraged to do them all on the recruit now, not just for the recruit tasks but because of their bonus perk XP.
  • Options
    tagentagen Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited February 2021

are you sure about the fact you can share endev completions across the board? because the details say "with your klingon recruit."

You're misunderstanding, see "this task just totally undercuts that." In other words, the nice thing about endeavors was that you could do them on any character, especially useful for damage endeavors. However we are strongly encouraged to do them all on the recruit now, not just for the recruit tasks but because of their bonus perk XP.

then maybe i need more explaining. i get we can complete them on any toon, but that 50 total, from what i am reading, need to be completed by the recruit. you cant share that completion with other toons.

Right. I think that is the point. The person is saying endeavors were nice in that you could share completion and do them on any character. For the Klingon recruit you can't do that if you want progress toward the recruit goal.

Personally, I don't see that or the other recruit goals (TFO, melee, ambush) as a big deal since I don't have to complete them during the event. But that is because I plan to keep playing my recruit and am ok with seeing some of the things as longer term goals. I know others don't see it like that and so it is a much more immediate grind which can sap the fun out of it.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I'm good with all of it. Frankly, I wish there was just a bit more to do. Like a new ground battlezone or something.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    then maybe i need more explaining. i get we can complete them on any toon, but that 50 total, from what i am reading, need to be completed by the recruit. you cant share that completion with other toons.

Ultimately that XP bonus does get spread across the whole account. It is a bit of a drag, and if you don't have the means to build several ships for different damage types and have weapons for the ground damage, its more of a drag.

Realistically though this particular one will mostly be affected by the player doing it. Someone like me, who's well off on resources and previous event rewards won't have as much of an issue. Someone just starting out who doesn't have all that, will have more of an issue. And we have everyone everywhere in between those two poles.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I think compared to the other recruitment events Cryptic made the KDF recruitment require more effort compounded with lesser quality smaller items like the gear not being VR standard. However, that might be balanced out by this recruitment offering the M'Chla Refit. I've been finding the goals for this KDF recruitment somewhat enjoyable even though the repetition is getting boring.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    Whereas, instead of having a bunch of gear sets for a "main" character, I have different characters for every energy type.

So making a whole pile of "6 beam arrays + 3 damage consoles" for every damage for my recruit - and buying a some extra bank space, because that stuff takes a pile of it - isn't normal for me. When a "do 100k polaron damage" Endeavor comes up, I pull out one of my Polaron characters, I don't reequip my main's ship.

(mostly with these Recruit characters, I've done their recruit tasks, then stuck them in my pile of "extra alts, for when we do things that can use extra alts", rather than Just Playing Them and Recruit Tasks Eventually Get Done. So I expect that the KDF recruit will end up being the one with the least finished tasks. By a long shot. Doesn't help that I play less these days. And the recruit tasks aren't compelling enough to get me to play more.)
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited February 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Ultimately that XP bonus does get spread across the whole account. It is a bit of a drag, and if you don't have the means to build several ships for different damage types and have weapons for the ground damage, its more of a drag.

I did my first rainbow build with my Klingon recruit and it works quite well. Damage endeavors are nothing for a rainbow build. For ground, all you need is a few different Mk XII guns of different damage types in your inventory readily available and you're good. Easy peasy.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

wait, dont you need to be level 50 or so to do endeavors?
  • Options
    eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    For that matter, if I wanted to do a super cheap Endeavors build on a KDF recruit, I'd use a T5 Kar'fi with one of each energy type turret, from the daily Rep boxes or drops, and put Grav Well 2 or 3 on it. Kinetic from Sci skills counts. Maybe some Disco rep box Cannon booster consoles.

You can get those damage endeavors easily on all sorts of builds with a single patrol. And if you're doing any of the TFO goals, you'll have the marks quickly enough.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • Options
    gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    I am detail guy, when it comes to my ships. This is why I do not understand the interest in the B'rel bird of prey. First its a insanely old ship. In star trek generations it was described as 20 year old ship design, at the time of the destruction of the Ent D. In star trek legacy it was described as a ship that could hold no more then 12 torpedos. In tos it was given a crew of between 12 and 20. In all tense and purposes it only really excels in light recon duties. Why would you want to take a ship like that against Borg cubes and Iconian dreadnoughts.

Lets look at the Hegh'ta, the heavy bird of prey. It had a crew of 100 plus. Multiple weapon ports, and size to suggest it carried ample torpedoes. Hence the words Heavy bird of prey, with the description it brings everlasting death to the enemies of the Empire.

The new bird of prey for the recruitment. Looks and feels more like a heavy bird of prey, a ship designed to take on any enemies of the empire.

This is just my thoughts. I really don't get this obssession with the a B'rel.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I've never liked melee and after getting 2500 melee kills I still don't like it. Those that do enjoy melee get a nice trait though so good for them. I'm not a fan of random tfo's so that's been annoying to do as well. The only worthwhile reward that I can see is the Endeavor ones. I'm also disappointed that not much though was put into the assassination kills. I would have liked to have seen a little more story into that and a lot more people to kill.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    Great recruitment event and having lots of fun. I love the free ship doing 50K dps even without completed reputations and melee combat just keeps getting better for me. Wish the thread title was "Thoughts about the Klingon Recruitment Event" is my only other feedback.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    He thinks you should like the Recruitment unconditionally:

https://youtu.be/c4r5Mnbujpc
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    gaalom wrote: »
    I am detail guy, when it comes to my ships. This is why I do not understand the interest in the B'rel bird of prey. First its a insanely old ship. In star trek generations it was described as 20 year old ship design, at the time of the destruction of the Ent D. In star trek legacy it was described as a ship that could hold no more then 12 torpedos. In tos it was given a crew of between 12 and 20. In all tense and purposes it only really excels in light recon duties. Why would you want to take a ship like that against Borg cubes and Iconian dreadnoughts.

Lets look at the Hegh'ta, the heavy bird of prey. It had a crew of 100 plus. Multiple weapon ports, and size to suggest it carried ample torpedoes. Hence the words Heavy bird of prey, with the description it brings everlasting death to the enemies of the Empire.

The new bird of prey for the recruitment. Looks and feels more like a heavy bird of prey, a ship designed to take on any enemies of the empire.

This is just my thoughts. I really don't get this obssession with the a B'rel.

The B'Rel has been around longer than just 20 years. In one form or another its been around at least 100 I'd like to say. The earliest sighting of the B'Rel type was back in the 2280s I wanna say with Kruge's BoP at Genesis. Like the K'Tinga, the B'Rel has been upgraded over the years. Its as Iconic as the K'Tinga/D7 design.

As for the ship from Generations, I think Worf said that was a D-12, which could just be the variant. One he said had an exploitable weakness in its design. Other notable B'Rel type BoPs include the Rotarran, Martok's BoP, and General Chang's modified BoP with an Enhanced Cloak.

Basically for the Klingons... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And clearly the B'Rel design ain't broke. For me though... what I don't understand is the obsession over the K'Vort, which is an upscaled B'Rel as a Cruiser rather than a Raider.
    nikephorus wrote: »
    I've never liked melee and after getting 2500 melee kills I still don't like it. Those that do enjoy melee get a nice trait though so good for them. I'm not a fan of random tfo's so that's been annoying to do as well. The only worthwhile reward that I can see is the Endeavor ones. I'm also disappointed that not much though was put into the assassination kills. I would have liked to have seen a little more story into that and a lot more people to kill.

I've been visiting Defera for my melee kills over time. Lets just say my Bat'leth is so sharp, I can vaporise enemies. lol
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    He thinks you should like the Recruitment unconditionally
    Nope, that's not my point and my apologies for the positive feedback.

I should have realized by reading the thread title that it's only for dislikes and started my own thread. My bad.

I do think it's a shame that most of the helpful information about the 2255 KDF recruitment event is buried in similar threads.

A thread that is unconditional would be refreshing at this point
This discussion has been closed.