test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Welcome to Starfleet, you Klingons....

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 5,051 Arc User
    I think this change makes sense. It was bound to happen sometime.

I've got a few Klingon ships. For example, the one you get if you buy the Discovery pack. Or the veteran ship. I've never used them because I didn't care to create a Klingon character.

I may finally use these ships now.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    They need to clean up the mechanism of opening (and using) the T5 Mittor Ships from the T5 Infinity Selection Packs. Rifgt now it is already broken. Federation Characters can't see to select Romulan Mirror Ships, but they can open specific Romulan Mittor Ship boxes and use them.

Romulans can't open or use specific Federation Mirror Ship boxes. They can't elect or see them in the Infinity T5 Selection Box either.

I can just imagine that KDF/Federation Mirror Ships will be also be broken upon arrival of this change.

Again, another major change being announced 'moments' before release without ANY Tribble testing.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I personally don't want to use Starfleet ships with Klingon characters and vice versa. It's not a surprise and they said it would be coming, but still I don't see the appeal.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I personally don't want to use Starfleet ships with Klingon characters and vice versa. It's not a surprise and they said it would be coming, but still I don't see the appeal.​​

That's the beauty of it. Nothing will force you to. But for those people who do wish to play their character as part of single unified front, then the ability to command any class ships a good freedom of choice to have. The alliance narrative is more or less what Khan said: "We are one big happy fleet.

Ironicly, this may encourage me to do a Feddybear toon as I can't stand the look of the Fed ships or the stupidly nationalistic USS designations.

Level to 65 in a Temer and then play my sexy, superior KDF designs.

• spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 358 Arc User

That's the beauty of it. Nothing will force you to. But for those people who do wish to play their character as part of single unified front, then the ability to command any class ships a good freedom of choice to have. The alliance narrative is more or less what Khan said: "We are one big happy fleet.

Ironicly, this may encourage me to do a Feddybear toon as I can't stand the look of the Fed ships or the stupidly nationalistic USS designations.

Level to 65 in a Temer and then play my sexy, superior KDF designs.

curious why USS is in bad flavor with you? its been a staple since the OS, let alone a naval history of doing so.

American naval history, maybe - not the rest of the world.
  • mattingly1mattingly1 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    I take some solace in the knowledge that this change is not canon. I like the Klingons; I love the Romulans; I like the Federation. I do not, however, believe that it should be the destiny of every sentient race in the Milky Way to eventually be subsumed into some kind of everlasting, unchanging, 'mega democracy' without end. Not only is that incredibly boring - it sucks the wind right out the sails of any threat that might be posed to this super-Federation; now or in the future - but it's also a denial that any race can self-determine its own destiny independent of the Federation's control.

I like being able to pilot all the ships - I am very much looking forward to that change. But TNG had it right when the three 'big players' in the quadrant were eyeing each other with distrust - that's compelling. This isn't.
  • mattingly1mattingly1 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    American naval history, maybe - not the rest of the world.

First of all, as you well know, it stands for United Star Ship. Second, Star Trek was - and remains - as American as apple pie. It may be a show about a far-flung future where the United States has ceased to be, but that wasn't true in Gene Rodenberry's time, and it isn't true today.

Finally, USS isn't just a nod to the United States Navy, it's an acknowledgment that national prefixes are a thing that humans, in general, just enjoy - from RMS (Royal Mail Ship), to HMS (His/Her Majesty's Ship), to SMS (Seiner Majestät Schiff), and so on. So while USS may be 'American,' United Star Ship is really just the culmination of all those various international prefixes sensibly coalescing. The Federation is the United Federation of Planets; the ships are called - constantly - star ships... USS is a logical prefix.
  • madmoparmadmopar Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    Cryptic did us dirty with this change. This was just to get rid of cross faction packs to funnel more people into gambling in order to afford the consoles and traits from lockbox promo ships.
  • renwoodsto#3772 renwoodsto Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    So, anyone can fly any ship from any faction. Super. Does that mean cross faction teaming is next?
  • renwoodsto#3772 renwoodsto Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    madmopar wrote: »
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/l2rw2l/command_any_ship_star_trek_online/gk7lbi0/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

That doesn't refute what the guy correctly said. We won't be getting any more ships out of this "deal" than usual. The platitude at the end is nothing the kdf hasn't seen before. Not to mention the loss of cross faction packs that were a boon to the kdf. People will make their token kdf recruitment character then abandon them and the faction in droves.

You're not wrong. I'll make the character to get the shiny things. But other then that, I have zero interest in playing a KDF toon.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    At first I read this, reached for the pitchfork and raged.

Then I settled, read the reddit post and gave it some thought..

Under the old system, there was basicly ZERO chance of getting much KDF content. The vast majority of players will not roll KDF just to get a Klingon ship when their mains, with all that time and money invested, won't have access to them.

Now IF (and it's a big if) the Feddybear whales and collectors lay out for KDF ships then cryptic have a financial reason to throw us KDF mains a bone every now and again.

That's the point, lot of us are collectors, i have KDF, Rom, Jem and Fed ships.. so i have chars of every faction, but some people dont, and i have a very strong feeling that they will give us Klingon DSC refit ships, so they will be able to sell those quite well (i know i will buy them, the DSC ships are very good, but looks, well..), as the ship team is great.
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,215 Arc User
    "Captain, Klingon's off the starboard bow! *faceplam* Again with the Klingons."
    I stream on Twitch, look for Avoozl_
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    The only problem I see is that Fed Klingons are now redundant, why buy the Feddie-Bear version of the race if the entire Klingon Empire is just going to join the UFP anyways.
  • foxfire2000foxfire2000 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    Good stuff, my Klingon can now access my legendary ships pack. :)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,434 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Oh goodie they now make only feddie bear ships with each ship release.
    I thought you were already claiming this, every time a new Fed ship came out. What makes this suddenly different?

I mean, aside from the possibility that, as Kael said, this means that now they can sell Klink ships to Fed players and possibly persuade the bean-counters that they should therefore get to design more Klink ships.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    westmetals wrote: »
    So, anyone can fly any ship from any faction. Super. Does that mean cross faction teaming is next?

correct me if i am wrong, but the tidbit stated the roms and jems are not allowed this ability. just fed and klink and any toons created under the fed or klink banners.

They will still be able to fly the ships. The part in the original post about the Klingons, excluding allied Romulans and Jem'Hadar, was about unlocking the ability.
    To clarify:

To unlock this, you need to get one KDF captain, not an ally but an actual member of the Klingon Defense Force, to level 65. This then unlocks ships for all factions, presumably to include Romulans (not sure if it should include Jem ships, as those seem terribly species-specific in design to me...). The bit I want further clarity on is whether this applies only to characters of level 65 (which, frankly, would be a reasonable limitation), or if I can slap a lower-level Fed "privateer" toon into a "captured" Klingon cruiser.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • ishigami2ishigami2 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    mattingly1 wrote: »
    as American as apple pie.

???

Apple Pie originated in England... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_pie

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    ishigami2 wrote: »

???

It's an idiom, and one based on cultural practices. Where it was invented is irrelevant.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    ishigami2 wrote: »

???

OMG, cultural appropriation! Call the PC police!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    > @chastity1337 said:
    > OMG, cultural appropriation! Call the PC police!

What about the XBox and PS police? Have they been let go? ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    > @chastity1337 said:
    > OMG, cultural appropriation! Call the PC police!

What about the XBox and PS police? Have they been let go? ;)

The XBox and PS police always deploy at least a month after the PC police, at least for STO.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    I think that the argument that this will increase the likelyhood of more non-Fed ship releases because "We can now sell KDF ships to Feds" is not very convincing. Feds have been able to fly Romulan ships for a while now, and I have not seen an increase in the number of Romulan ships released.
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    garaffe wrote: »
    I think that the argument that this will increase the likelyhood of more non-Fed ship releases because "We can now sell KDF ships to Feds" is not very convincing. Feds have been able to fly Romulan ships for a while now, and I have not seen an increase in the number of Romulan ships released.

It's a forlorn hope and I know, deep inside that I'm kidding myself. If we get a KDF legendary bundle, it'll be the last Klingon ships we'll ever see unless they put some Klingon content in one of the upcoming series.

Then again we still lack KDF ships from previous series anyway.

Not like we didn't see it coming, there has been ONE KDF ship released in the whole of 2020.

• mikewallace#2209 mikewallace Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    So what would happen with the fate of the KDF faction? I know it is not completely scratched out but limping along a cliff? Certainly it is a point of no return from its glory days. Why even redo some of the older KDF episodes?

I do not get is why in the world they made a theme "Year of the Klingon" when they knew perfectly well this was going to be starting to merge with FED.

Should not this new KDF recruitment be called just "FED recruitment" event instead. I will make some new recruits and probably will be great for a very short time. However, after a while what gives....go back to FED? Certainly this is a DEAD end to be a KDF.

So I guess we go with a BANG after this last recruitment event.
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Everyone here's talking like this is Praxis 2, but the reception in game and on other sites is mostly positive. I can think of one ship buy I have minor regrets over (bought Arbiter with Zen only for the trait, after getting a charity bundle Kurak) but otherwise I'm fascinated by my possible play combinations once this goes live.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    So what would happen with the fate of the KDF faction? I know it is not completely scratched out but limping along a cliff? Certainly it is a point of no return from its glory days. Why even redo some of the older KDF episodes?

I do not get is why in the world they made a theme "Year of the Klingon" when they knew perfectly well this was going to be starting to merge with FED.

Should not this new KDF recruitment be called just "FED recruitment" event instead. I will make some new recruits and probably will be great for a very short time. However, after a while what gives....go back to FED? Certainly this is a DEAD end to be a KDF.

There is no KDF faction any more. There is also no Fed faction. Faction exclusive content ceased to be developed a couple of years ago in favour of faction agnostic, alliance content. This is no secret and began in 2016 or even earlier.

This constant whining, seriously.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Its okay the empire has been prepared for quite some time now. We have had the voice of Quinn invade the throat of J'mpoks ligament chewing for quite some time now. He almost sounds exactly like Quinn! its so scary!!! Now we are tempted with a Temer to bring us glory.
  • mikewallace#2209 mikewallace Member Posts: 106 Arc User

There is no KDF faction any more. There is also no Fed faction. Faction exclusive content ceased to be developed a couple of years ago in favour of faction agnostic, alliance content. This is no secret and began in 2016 or even earlier.

This constant whining, seriously.​​

I guess that's why they called you angry targ :D
    Your whine is my cheese :D

Seriously, I have been here long enough to know the writing in the wall. Just finding curious the timing for what they call "Year of the Klingon" that's all. I could care less for KDF.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Everyone here's talking like this is Praxis 2, but the reception in game and on other sites is mostly positive. I can think of one ship buy I have minor regrets over (bought Arbiter with Zen only for the trait, after getting a charity bundle Kurak) but otherwise I'm fascinated by my possible play combinations once this goes live.

I don't see many new possibilities as someone who has typically tried to buy the multifaction packs or at least Romulan ships to open traits and ships for both sides of my character list. The only real benefit I see from this is that my KDF have access to some of the Fed legendary ships and their T5 traits originally only from box versions, like the NX or the Crossfield. Other than that, nothing changes with this.
  • undedavengerundedavenger Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    Now if only we could add Klingon Fleets to Fed Armadas and vice-versa.
    Nothing breaks the tension better than a tankard of warnog - except maybe a good brawl...
This discussion has been closed.