test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Considering rejoining this game

selarloverselarlover Member Posts: 10 Arc User
Hi folks. I started playing this game in 2012 back when there was an IRC relay from chat. To this day I still listen to subspace radio. Only recently did I begin considering a return into this game. Many expansions have occured and it appears like I may enjoy it. My old account still logs into the site but it seems to not have a record of my characters. I remember having a fully levelled admiral that was ambassador (I remember getting that title was work). I assume my old characters were deleted and hoping the mods/GM's can recover my toons.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    There was an error, that some chars where lost not long ago, but they recovered them. (i was affected by 3 of my oldest ones), you should contact support, post in the bug section, and perhaps contact the moderators, if they can expedite comunication with the devs, to see if you can recover them. Also, welcome back.. if your char is not that importan, you can just start over?, i recommend creating a new char anyway, as a lot have changed since 2012... but try to recover your old one first :smile:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    First, Welcome back, You should be able to recover your old characters. If not, you might need to contact support and they will be able to restore them for you. A lot has changed over the years and you might enjoy starting a new character on your account just to gain a better grasp of changed mechanics or just to check out the revamped starting experiences available to the different factions/fractions. You've picked a good time to come back. If you are able to run the winter event, you'll be able to earn a free T6 ship for your account. T6 ships are viable at endgame and able to be used as soon as you complete the tutorial. Don't hesitate to ask questions here, there are loads of smart people willing to help !
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • selarloverselarlover Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I had zim purchased on my account that no longer shows up. I was able to look at my transactino archives. ALso had paid for a ship in the past and really wouldn't want that money going to waste. Thanks all for your welcome.

Problem is, when I originally played this game I installed it from a copy I bought at gamestop. It was initially a subscription game when I started. I installed it via Wine in Linux. Now that there's a game launcher, I don't know if I'll be able to install it in Linux. I know the Steam side shows that it's a windows only game.
  • If it were me what would matter is how many ships, etc. I had purchased with real $$ on my original account if I were willing to start over or not. I'm a lifer and no matter what since I have a lot and I do mean a lot of real $$ invested into my account I would definitely contact support as has been recommended to you in other post to see what can be done.

Other than that: Welcome back. I hope to see you in game! :)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,434 Community Moderator
    Welcome back.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Well, Steam on Linux have a compatibility layer called Proton, last time i chequed, 2 months ago, it worked, so you "should" be ok, depending on your flavor of Linux
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Well, Steam on Linux have a compatibility layer called Proton, last time i chequed, 2 months ago, it worked, so you "should" be ok, depending on your flavor of Linux

Thanks for the tip. All I had to do was enable it in steam play settings. It's installing now. Woot.

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    selarlover wrote: »

Thanks for the tip. All I had to do was enable it in steam play settings. It's installing now. Woot.

See you ingame.
    Plenty has changed and plenty has remained the same. Welcome back and have fun.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    Well, the launcher isn't working in Steam. So I'll see how much troubleshooting i'm willing to do in getting this to work. I have a bunch of higher priority things going on. I'll see.
    > @selarlover said:
    > Well, the launcher isn't working in Steam. So I'll see how much troubleshooting i'm willing to do in getting this to work. I have a bunch of higher priority things going on. I'll see.

The launcher must be also added to the proton list, along with the gameclient exe.. that worked for me, at least..
  • Good luck either way and again, Welcome back. I mostly play Romulans and the name of my ship is "Raptor Star" just so you'll know a friendly face,........er.....Ship. :)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,434 Community Moderator
    If you ever see a Connie named USS Melchiott, that might be me on my main.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • I'll look for ya!! :)
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    start a new toon. unless you bought C-store stuff that you cannot access, the old toon probably isn't worth the hassle of getting back, every trait and equipment have been superceded since 2012
    sig.jpg
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,098 Arc User
    Roll a KDF toon. It's their year.

YoK Part 1
    YoK Part 2
    edited December 2020
    start a new toon. unless you bought C-store stuff that you cannot access, the old toon probably isn't worth the hassle of getting back, every trait and equipment have been superceded since 2012

Yes it was a cstore ship. I recall now. It was a starfleet engineering officer ship. Liike some supped up sovereign class with a captain's yacht sort of thing that I named the USS Kubuntu. Anyway...
    Well I did as you suggested
    > @selarlover said:
    > Well, the launcher isn't working in Steam. So I'll see how much troubleshooting i'm willing to do in getting this to work. I have a bunch of higher priority things going on. I'll see.

The launcher must be also added to the proton list, along with the gameclient exe.. that worked for me, at least..

I tried to launch proton but it gives me an error: An error occurred while updating proton 5.13 (invalid app configuration).

I clicked on the support link but it took me to a normal support page for steam. /shrug
    Well I did as you suggested
    > @selarlover said:

I tried to launch proton but it gives me an error: An error occurred while updating proton 5.13 (invalid app configuration).

I clicked on the support link but it took me to a normal support page for steam. /shrug

Ohh, well, in that case, i dont know, i tested Ubuntu back then, but on my day to day basis, i use windows, i guess all latest graphics drivers are installed?
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,758 Arc User
    Maybe it was relying on some of the DX9 support that STO recently dropped, or perhaps Microsoft made a change to the current DX that broke compatibility again (they are notorious for doing that to keep people locked to Windows).
    edited December 2020
    Maybe it was relying on some of the DX9 support that STO recently dropped, or perhaps Microsoft made a change to the current DX that broke compatibility again (they are notorious for doing that to keep people locked to Windows).

I don think so, perhaps is an instalation problem with proton?, i cannot help, really, as i used it as a test, and it worked.. :neutral:

https://www.protondb.com/app/9900
    I got it to work by navigating to the steam STO folder and lauching the exe with Wine. It took an hour to download all teh patches but I'm on.

Th'Gils Rooc of the USS Kubuntu
    So yeah. This game is alien to me, no pun intended. Lots to learn. I have my lvl50 vice admiral and see there are levels above to get.

I have a second toon that is also vice admiral. haven't played it yet.

I think I will spin up a fresh toon to re-learn the game and keep th'gils as main and play it when comfortable with the system. The developers definitely expanded the game. I don't remember seeing so many systems before. it's massive now. woot. I originally got bored because all I did was dailies. There's so much for me to do, I will be occupied for months.
    edited December 2020
    Cool!, great!, i never instaled Wine, as Proton is supposed to do all that for you (it did for me) but welcome back! anything you need in game, let me know at gaevs@gaevs, if you need a hand!
    Cool!, great!, i never instaled Wine, as Proton is supposed to do all that for you (it did for me) but welcome back! anything you need in game, let me know at gaevs@gaevs, if you need a hand!

Thanks man, i'll keep you in mind. I was putzing around in sector space and already got a guild invite. Before quitting I was considering starting my own guild and even designed a guild badge.

Anyway, I'm going to spin up a new toon this weekend and spend half a day playing around.

Got some shader issues to deal with so it'll be a good time to settle in.

Thanks man, i'll keep you in mind. I was putzing around in sector space and already got a guild invite. Before quitting I was considering starting my own guild and even designed a guild badge.

Anyway, I'm going to spin up a new toon this weekend and spend half a day playing around.

Got some shader issues to deal with so it'll be a good time to settle in.

Well, i have a personal fleet, so it is doable, takes a LOT of time and resources tho, but i'm on level 4 starbase, 3 Dil and 2 on everithing else, including the Colony.. also have a KDF fleet at level 3... yup, many, many years.. :lol:
This discussion has been closed.