What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

T5 Kar'Fi for everyone

2»

Comments

• Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    Folks are really overreacting to this announcement about the t5 karfi being usable by all factions now. That ships sailed the moment they gave us a fek'ihri ship as a winter ship last year. If you paid attention to the Victory is Life episodes then you know at least some of them came from the Dominion labs. So you can assume either those ships are loosely based on Dominion tech, or are legit fek'ihri ships that have been captured. There's several references in game to ships from the future being captured, or other ships being made available that aren't faction specific. Prime example being the t5 Galor being surplus ships Demar planned to give to the allied factions during the Dominion war when he switched sides. There's also reference to ships like the Wells having been stripped of its future tech and us taking the ship back but loading it with modern 25th century tech. Point being it's not unheard of for us to get access to ships we otherwise wouldn't have access to if faction limitations were observed. Plus if they're doing a ferengi selling the ships spin, let's face it, ferengi are in it for the profit. They don't care who they sell it to as long as they get paid and it doesn't get used against them personally. In other words a ferengi is going to ferengi.

Folks also need to keep in mind for many these free t6 ships are some of the only t6 ships many will get through the year. since the t6 karfi is going to be faction neutral, it makes sense that they would make the t5 faction neutral retroactively. Alot more would have to happen before they could scrap the multiple factions if that was going to happen. Some folks are reading way too much into this and reading things into it that's not there.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    > @darkbladejk said:
    > Folks are really overreacting to this announcement about the t5 karfi being usable by all factions now.

Dark blade,

I really respect you. I am not at all angry about this announcement. As we all know, this isn’t even a Klingon ship that is being given away.

But the writing is on the wall, dude. And Kael says what is coming will be controversial...

A single-faction approach is best for the game. The best chance to save the KDF, economically, is to give it to the Federation.

Really that may not be true, but that IS cryptic’s offical argument. Klingon doesn’t sell.

I respect your position as moderator and recognize you don’t always agree with the developers.

You can close the thread for “flamethrowing”—although the discussion has been very tame— or delete my comment as a rage post if you want—but you are either making a white-knight argument for the company or trying to spin this news as something other than what it appears to be.

We should realize the adgenda seems to be to sell any new KDF ship as cross-factional ship.

Like I have repeatedly said, I do not think that agenda is wrong or bad—but hiding the agenda is bad.

We should be direct about our intentions, embrace the future, or go on to something else...maybe.

There clearly is something rotten on Qu’nos...Hamlet is far better in Klingonese.
    Post edited by qultuq on
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    Interesting. The skin was always a major drawback for the T5 Version so perhaps the new event ship skin can be fitted.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Now the Federation has access to the advanced coal-fired boiler Warp Drive. Though the environmentalists in the Federation will protest all the smoke pollution that bellows out of these ships. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Folks are really overreacting to this announcement about the t5 karfi being usable by all factions now. That ships sailed the moment they gave us a fek'ihri ship as a winter ship last year. If you paid attention to the Victory is Life episodes then you know at least some of them came from the Dominion labs. So you can assume either those ships are loosely based on Dominion tech, or are legit fek'ihri ships that have been captured. There's several references in game to ships from the future being captured, or other ships being made available that aren't faction specific. Prime example being the t5 Galor being surplus ships Demar planned to give to the allied factions during the Dominion war when he switched sides. There's also reference to ships like the Wells having been stripped of its future tech and us taking the ship back but loading it with modern 25th century tech. Point being it's not unheard of for us to get access to ships we otherwise wouldn't have access to if faction limitations were observed. Plus if they're doing a ferengi selling the ships spin, let's face it, ferengi are in it for the profit. They don't care who they sell it to as long as they get paid and it doesn't get used against them personally. In other words a ferengi is going to ferengi.

Folks also need to keep in mind for many these free t6 ships are some of the only t6 ships many will get through the year. since the t6 karfi is going to be faction neutral, it makes sense that they would make the t5 faction neutral retroactively. Alot more would have to happen before they could scrap the multiple factions if that was going to happen. Some folks are reading way too much into this and reading things into it that's not there.

Because there is a new T6 Kar'fi does not mean that the T5 needs to be opened up to everyone. It is a non-sequitur.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    Ok, that's nice for those who are interested in these ships.

Personally, I don't really care for any of them.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »
    A single-faction approach is best for the game. The best chance to save the KDF, economically, is to give it to the Federation.

I know you were probably being sarcastic, but I think this is true.

Klingons could get a lot more stuff if all players were able to get it. How many people would have played the Best served cold event if the Targs were restricted to one faction that's only played by a small minority?

At least they could focus on developing more species, ships and so on if they don't have to maintain a separate faction. And members of that faction would then also benefit from them being able to concentrate their efforts and resources.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Folks are really overreacting to this announcement about the t5 karfi being usable by all factions now.

In my case, my comment wasn't because of this announcement specifically, but because of a number of 'pieces' moving into place that I've been observing over the past several months. This was just a good opportunity to air those thoughts.

I don't have a particular problem with it, and I am hoping we get another interesting Khitomer Alliance ship next year for the Anniversary(also hoping it comes with some AP hangar squadrons - want more squadrons, in general). My main curiosity is how the Fleets (and Starbases) will be handled if the merger is going to happen. Well, that, and how stable the game would be with such fundamental changes.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    qultuq wrote: »

I know you were probably being sarcastic, but I think this is true.

Klingons could get a lot more stuff if all players were able to get it. How many people would have played the Best served cold event if the Targs were restricted to one faction that's only played by a small minority?

At least they could focus on developing more species, ships and so on if they don't have to maintain a separate faction. And members of that faction would then also benefit from them being able to concentrate their efforts and resources.

Nothing stops people from making a KDF character and flying all the ships they want from KDF side. They don't do it because they don't care, and that is in part because Cryptic has long neglected the KDF and especially their ships. Why would that change if everyone is the same faction suddenly?

The Kar'fi is a ship released in 2010, and is only now getting a T6, but not because the KDF players haven't wanted a new one.
    The K'tinga/D7 is one of the most iconic KDF ships and still doesn't have a T6 Cstore version, while with ~15 varieties of T<6 BOP, only one exists at T6 with customization from about 4 designs.
    The allied ship selection is atrocious at best. Orions have the ugliest ships in the KDF, and Gorn ships are science boxes and nothing else, their first ship being a clone of the least desired T5 science ship. They aren't interesting, nor attractive, so why would they sell well?
    Customization on the KDF side is also abysmal, between the awful color palette on the armors, the ships without interchangeable parts, and again, the limited ship selection.

So it isn't a surprise people don't care to play the KDF, but that could change if Cryptic actually gave them some interesting things to play with. However, with the issues being what they are, merging factions or ships won't change anything except pissing off KDF players. Fed players aren't going to buy a bunch of KDF ships to play with because they already can and don't.

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited December 2020

so i guess targs were something that are also loosely based on some sort of time dimension rift in the galaxy and now all factions and races can have them too?

In the current plot the characters just got done with a raid on Akar's compound after making solid contacts (in fact supposedly been immersed in the underground for a time off-camera, like the way they do season breaks on TV nowadays) in a faction of the Klingon rebels, and faced one of those enhanced targs. It is not unreasonable to think that they might be able to acquire one though those contacts so the targs are no problem plot wise.

As for the ships, as already pointed out the Kar'Fi is not built by the KDF, they are captured enemy ships and the Klingons were the first to start converting and using them (and maybe even copying them) but anyone else can do the same if they find any Fek'ihri.

On top of that, we are supposedly getting them from Q for jumping though his hoops and entertaining him so you could even call the winter versions "Kramp'ihri" ships. They don't really match any of the "real" Fek'ihri ships, even the Gok'tad is not precisely a Kar'Fi though it is very close. There is a good chance NOBODY built the things and Q just pulled them out of his backside (maybe even literally with Q's sense of humor...).
  • Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    so i guess targs were something that are also loosely based on some sort of time dimension rift in the galaxy and now all factions and races can have them too?

More like the original "as seen in the C-store" Targs came from a time dimension rift, in a fountain, on ESD. Pretty sure Q was involved. ;)

gHF1ABR.jpg
This discussion has been closed.