test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kelvin timeline

weerunandgunn#2008 weerunandgunn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
who wants to see the Kelvin timeline federation universe as playable characters and the Newton and the Armstrong and the Mayflower class star ships
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    I'd like to see the remaining KT-stuff in STO, but currently I'm not sure how likely anything beyond an Enterprise-A (pun intended) would be.

Another federation sub-faction seems very unlikely at this time tho.
    edited October 2020
    I'm not even sure what a Kelvin timeline starting experience would cover

There would be a "jump-off-point" where Daniels *yawn* would (again) pull someone out to become another temporal agent-like captain. That point would be like during or slightly before that conference from Into Darkness, where most of the captains get killed.

But it would lack an actual connection as to why, and IMO it'd be an overall bad idea to make yet another federation-subfaction.

If anything KDF still needs a DIS-pendant, and while at that, KDF-toons should be able to choose which house they belong to. Like give actual klingons a choice of 3 major houses or some minor house, all options giving a small perk.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    who wants to see the Kelvin timeline federation universe as playable characters and the Newton and the Armstrong and the Mayflower class star ships

Uhm...is there enough already?

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
    edited October 2020
    truewarper wrote: »
    Uhm...is there enough already?

There are obviously several ships shown in the movies which aren't in STO yet. Just because they're not everybody's cup of tea doesn't mean they shouldn't be added.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    The only thing I can think of to tie it in would be based on the one mission we have in the Kelvin Timeline, where we confront the Sphere Builders. Other than that... all we really have that is KT is a couple Klingon ships, the D4x BoP and the D7.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    New Kelvin ships are highly unlikely at this point. Kael said in one of his latest live streams, that they had just received a whole bunch of new ship designs featured in S3 of Discovery. These are going to be their main priority for the foreseeable future.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    I hope the DSC S3 ships are better designs than the PIC ones, it almost seems they completely ran out of ideas for ships even after including all the weird Klingon ones that totally ignored Klingon design aesthetics from all the other Treks in DSC S1.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    No need here for a new FED faction. Your request can begin immediately by simply getting the Kelvin uniforms in the Lobi store and just flying the various Kelvin ships that are already in the game. There are also kelvin space weapons and ground weapons too!
    edited October 2020
    I could see a story chapter that delves into the Kelvin timeline via Daniels, with the objective of backtracking how it split off from prime universe and correcting that fracture by protecting the Kelvin and stopping Nero's plans (who has found about your interference and comes prepared).

Nein.

What you describe sounds like detective-work for our current temporal agents. The OP asked for a starting-experience. So what you look for is not a "go there", but a "from there".

Into Darkness' Captain-conference makes more sense here. Because one chosen captain could have miraculously shifted into the non-Kelvin 25th century. But it would be lame as hell, because as it is, Daniels is already doing that for TWO starting-experiences. And on top of that, federation has THREE starting-experiences. Everybody else has one, if at all (Jem'Hadar start off ready to go after a veeeeeeeery short intro-mission).

I would really just like the remaining Kelvin-ships to be added.
  • aboundedorc0#8479 aboundedorc0 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
    Star Trek Online introduced the Lukari race and they have a terrific back story for a starting faction, should they ever opt to go with it.

A starting character who was with Kuumaarke on the L.S.S. Concordium during Echoes of Light as their race began exploring space and of course were initially investigating the protomatter events. This starting point could bring the Tzenkethi back too!
    Well, getting more Kelvin timeline ships, might be a tad difficult. Since Paramount did not extend the Film license from July of last year. Only the Tv media side is left...that is currently functional for the time being.

And yes, I am aware of the push to get a film up and running, but no investors has shown an interest to partake of late. To which would have to spurred new designs, to which would have led to merchandising. But the market for that has dried up of late.

So no one right now, is throwing money out to a lost cause...the Kelvin films made money more than the NGen films *if true*, but they were more expensive to make and did not make great profit overall.

So no one right now, is throwing money out to a lost cause...the Kelvin films made money more than the NGen films *if true*, but they were more expensive to make and did not make great profit overall.

It *is* true. They did WAAAAAAAY better at the box-office.

But the producers and studios involved were still crying - because Transformers- and Marvel-movies made a lot more money.

It *is* true. They did WAAAAAAAY better at the box-office.

But the producers and studios involved were still crying - because Transformers- and Marvel-movies made a lot more money.

Well, you must contend how strong was the fanbase for each genre was known more in the public eye. Star Trek has the leg up in tv reruns.

But when 2009 came around, the small divisions that existed before, widen thereafter...when Discovery came out, it became great chasms.

Star Trek throughout, did not have a great fanbase in the numbers as the Marvel comics and transformers had, because it was considered nerdy and it was less acceptable in society.

That slant took time to overcome, but the numbers did not grow to tremendous proportions as the other franchises did, it had the kids who became adults that kept abreast of the growing universe.

Now, we have other folks who look at the ST franchise as nothing as a gimmick to be exploited *current game company not including in that entirely*

When Paramount had it under its wings, you had folks who grew up with the franchise and knew how it should be treated. When the spilt happened, licenses divided.

CBS had no one who understood it, loved it, or highly never grew up with it.

The indifference showed over time. It will take someone with heart, business savvy and longtime knowledge to turn this around.

But as of now...there is much against it.

edited October 2020
    Now, we have other folks who look at the ST franchise as nothing as a gimmick to be exploited *current game company not including in that entirely*

Eh. The 2009-movie was essentially a cashgrab too if you put it bluntly. That was their intention.

However, it was a rather well-made one that didn't outright mock the IP. On the contrary, despite the criticism it garnered, it offered a seperate timeline to co-exist with canon without interference. A lesser reboot would have not cared.

It was bluntly easy money - the timing was right, the franchise was dormant for about 5 years and making a fun space-adventure-movie with the old Enterprise and crew re-imagined was nice for a larger audience. It paid off.

The new cast was doing a good job IMO, and they cared to bridge it to prime-canon thanks to Nimoy.

Ironically the least profitable movie of the accidental trilogy is the BEST one (I blame the trailers - they made the movie look terrible at first glance).
  • maniac20#5251 maniac20 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    One thing with the Kelvin time line is they have to go through Paramount and not CBS.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Didn't they go through that whole Paramount/Viacom merger thing to reunite the franchise under one umbrella again?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Didn't they go through that whole Paramount/Viacom merger thing to reunite the franchise under one umbrella again?

That's what I remember hearing as well.
    rattler2 wrote: »

To be actual, Viacom owns Paramount and CBS, but the two latters were run as separate entities within the overall ownership.

Eh. The 2009-movie was essentially a cashgrab too if you put it bluntly. That was their intention.

However, it was a rather well-made one that didn't outright mock the IP. On the contrary, despite the criticism it garnered, it offered a seperate timeline to co-exist with canon without interference. A lesser reboot would have not cared.

It was bluntly easy money - the timing was right, the franchise was dormant for about 5 years and making a fun space-adventure-movie with the old Enterprise and crew re-imagined was nice for a larger audience. It paid off.

The new cast was doing a good job IMO, and they cared to bridge it to prime-canon thanks to Nimoy.

Ironically the least profitable movie of the accidental trilogy is the BEST one (I blame the trailers - they made the movie look terrible at first glance).

Oh Yes, it was attempted cash grab, as JJA wanted all past Trek merch to be gone, so that he gain profit on the merchandise side, and CBS said No in a blunt fashion.

Well made? That is a matter of conjecture in retrospect.

The cast was point on representation to a degree.

The spin on that past trilogy was eye candy...glitz.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Do we really need ANOTHER Fed subfaction? There is so much they could do...a Cardassian fraction...Cooperative fraction...was expecting a Discovery Klingon subfaction but silly me expecting them to do more than the bare minimum.
    Oh Yes, it was attempted cash grab, as JJA wanted all past Trek merch to be gone, so that he gain profit on the merchandise side, and CBS said No in a blunt fashion.

Well made? That is a matter of conjecture in retrospect.

The cast was point on representation to a degree.

The spin on that past trilogy was eye candy...glitz.

That's mostly what I was thinking *before* I saw the 2009-movie. Than I ended up enjoying it.

As for reboots/re-imaginings it could have gone a lot (A LOT!) worse.
This discussion has been closed.