test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we please have the lower-cost temporary subscription back? Pretty please...?

dnugent#4566 dnugent Member Posts: 1 Arc User
Is there any possible way that ARC is going to let us do a temporary sub again? I came online thinking "Okay, I'll go ahead and pay for the 1-2 month subscription cuz during these particular times I would like to see what the full sub can get me..."
...only to find out that ARC is now only doing lifetime subscriptions for $300...???? It seems to me that it would be really cool of ARC to offer the $29.99 subscription for the near future as a lot of people can't justify dropping $300 all at once, especially right now.
I saw a few months ago that there was a 1/2-price option, but $150 at once is just too much.
So my plea to ARC - I love Star Trek, love this game, I do enjoy that it's free-to-play, and would like to pay for it - but there's just no way I can spend that kind of money all at once. Is there any way you could bring back the $29.99 sub, at least for the next year or so while the world gets its s*** together?
Thank you!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Answers

• Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    Or use the subscription mechanics as an EC/dil sink by selling it for in-game currency. Might as well use them for this if they're not profitable enough to sell for real money. This also goes for the old referral system that contains some collectible perks.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    Ah yes, that used to be a thing too...
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    Or use the subscription mechanics as an EC/dil sink by selling it for in-game currency. Might as well use them for this if they're not profitable enough to sell for real money. This also goes for the old referral system that contains some collectible perks.

I disagree with this idea as it would basically guarantee that the DL Exchange will be glued to 500/1. That is not healthy for the dilithium economy.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    You can't plea to ARC. It's a software, not a company. You mean Cryptic and/or PWE.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    When the sub vanished I thought they might roll in a neverwinter style "sub" bought with zen but its been so long that like most things in sto the ship has sailed and its forgotten about.

But hey, we did get the muggs market to gouge zen out of the unwary so yell whoopee and save your money for when they move towards a pay model that not aimed at draining wallets.
  • Options
    trekpuppytrekpuppy Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I disagree with this idea as it would basically guarantee that the DL Exchange will be glued to 500/1. That is not healthy for the dilithium economy.

You're getting it backwards. Selling subscriptions for dil will drain dil from the economy (dil sink) and the dilex will drop.
    ---
    "-Grind is good!" --Gordon Geko
    Accolades checklist: https://bit.ly/FLUFFYS
  • Options
    trekpuppy wrote: »
    You're getting it backwards. Selling subscriptions for dil will drain dil from the economy (dil sink) and the dilex will drop.

Pretty sure it would make Zen more in demand, thus drive the prices up, meaning more DL per zen. Because there's no way they will make a sub available for DL only. It would be Zen based.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Just about any MMO you can name right now has something STO doesn't. A big name behind it.

However if you look at the amount of content put out by STO vs other MMOs, you'd find that while other MMOs have masive content drops, they're few and far between. STO puts out smaller content drops far more often. Most MMOs used to only put out new content with expansions, which usually were separated by years.

Lets look at the Big Boy of MMOs, the Old King of the genre: World of WarCraft.
    • The Burning Crusade (2007)
    • The Wrath of the Lich King (2008)
    • Cataclysm (2010)
    • Mists of Pandaria (2012)
    • Warlords of Draenor (2014)
    • Legion (2016)
    • Battle for Azeroth (2018)

Notice anything? 1-2 years between expansions. The major content drops. And as far as I'm aware... they really didn't add much between those content drops. And certainly not on a monthly basis. And not all of those expansions were viewed postivily. Some were actually panned as being bad. But hey... its WarCraft! The story stopped making sense a long time ago... but its WarCraft!
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    A subscription is a game killer for me purely because I can't afford them. I sometimes (very rarely) play ESO, which is fun, but I can only play in the free areas, can't afford any of the pay-to-play content.

That's why I love STO. Everything is free. There is no content that has to be bought to be able to play. I spend a bit of money here and there for zen, but that is very rare too, and only the lowest amount I'm allowed by the game to spend.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    Not to mention WoW has been hemorrhaging players for years, and its massively down from its peak. Like down to 1.7 million subs in late 2018, from its peak of 12 million in 2010. Its sub count doubled with WoW classic, but reports also show they lost most of those subs since then. WoW is still the king of the pile when it comes to Western MMOs, but its dying, fast.

That's what I've heard too. Hell... I know a couple WoW veterans who actually defected to FF14! And word on the grapevine is that many WoW veterans have defected to FF14.
    I have no problem with that. FF14 has many advantages, two being not needing to make alts to play different classes... and female Miqo'te. B)
  • Options
    How many weeks did Tacofangs say it took to make a new BRIDGE? 3-4? At least? 6 for full interiors?
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    All I remember is how sudden Cryptic did it & when they did cease any new normal subscribing they left any normal subscribers that weren't current where they were on the tier list, didn't even have the decency to bump them up to the next tier as a consolation. I'm not sure if that was Cryptic's call or PWE but a good indicator how they feel about their customers imo. I seriously doubt they'll ever allow STO to return to a normal subscription option.
  • Options
    alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    Those guys doing that in 1hr DON'T also have to put in the navmesh, interacts, etc. into that enviroment, its a game space not a painting. So no, game devs can't just whip up a ship interior etc. in a short time.
  • Options
    Which is part of the reason user generated content isn't very popular in general. No one wants to play a bunch of mass produced, low effort, missions like is typical of the Foundry, or modder made quests.

To be fair there were a few well done Foundry missions that clearly took longer than one hour to put together. And there are many mods out there that acutally put in the effort, and it shows in the quality.
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    Lots of little things running autonomously can feed into that living world feel that I feel this game lacks

One problem though: a lot of people I know who play WoW are actually ANNOYED by kinda being forced into dailies and weeklies. It's busywork required to get decent gear or unlock stuff and gets just as repetitive as running the same TFO's. And btw, the way it is with STO now kinda gives us dailies all the time because we don't wanna miss out on those account-unlocked event-rewards.
This discussion has been closed.