test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bring Valkyrie Squadron to STO!

motormouth1motormouth1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
I grew up playing Star Trek: Invasion, and I think the Valkyries and other fighters in that game are perfect additions for hangar pets.

Blue quality uses the Valkyrie Mk 1 model, type 10 phaser sound effects for pulse phasers, and micro photons.
Purple quality uses the Valkyrie Mk 2 model, phaser dual cannons and regular photons.
Highest quality from starbase uses Valkyrie Mk 3, dual phaser cannons, quantum torpedos.
Give each version cannon: rapid fire in ascending strengths, and maybe some kind of evasive/defensive ability.
If Valkyries come in (especially with their original weapon sounds), it would be an amazing callback.

What do you think?
Quiet people have the Loudest minds.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Unfortunately as the Valkyrie designs are owned by Activision... its a non starter. As much as I would like to see some new fighters... legally Cryptic can do nothing about it. Just like with any other ship design seen in other games owned by other companies.
    We can't even get the Achilles or K'vort'cha from Dominion Wars.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    motormouth1motormouth1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    I figured that might be the case since it hadn't happened by now, but it was worth a shot.
    Quiet people have the Loudest minds.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Trust me... if Cryptic was able to get some fan favorite designs from other games they probably would. Things like the Achilles, the Hutet, the Fek'lhr, the Griffon... people would love to see them. But... they don't own the rights to those designs.
    The only grey area I can think of is probably the Winged Defender, which appeared in Armada 2 (Activision) and Legacy (Bethesda). However that is also a FASA design, so... I have absolutely no idea what the state of that Romulan ship is.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    This is on the FCT, no other games, fan designs or other franchises can be included in the game, sorry
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Trust me... if Cryptic was able to get some fan favorite designs from other games they probably would. Things like the Achilles, the Hutet, the Fek'lhr, the Griffon... people would love to see them. But... they don't own the rights to those designs.
    The only grey area I can think of is probably the Winged Defender, which appeared in Armada 2 (Activision) and Legacy (Bethesda). However that is also a FASA design, so... I have absolutely no idea what the state of that Romulan ship is.

A weird clause of the license Paramount gave FASA gave Paramount the right to use anything from the game which technically puts it in a gray area, but Paramount never tried to take advantage of it so it is untested in court. Since they were reluctant to do much with it themselves (the Orion Wanderer diagrams appeared on a screen as the profile of the ship that the people were talking to but no models for it were built for DS9 for instance) it is unlikely that the license they gave STO would include any of the FASA designs.
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    What do you think?

1. License-issues. Not even a grey-area, just flatout somebody else sitting on the legal rights for those designs.
    2. The game also had a few more fighters for multiplayer, basically fighter-sized versions of the Defiant, Saber and another one I don't remember that clearly now. Those were kinda neat too. Also, the Sentinel and the Typhon as well as all the Kam'Jahtae/Hur'q designs. I really liked the Marshall-cruiser, despite the obvious design-flaw (it's a video-game, there must be an obvious weakspot!).

This discussion has been closed.