test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What if the Orville was added to STO?

ericcoldfire#9804 ericcoldfire Member Posts: 41 Arc User
What if Star Trek Online promoted a crossover with The Orville?

Federation and ally factions get the Orville ship with two bridge officers (Moclan and Xelayan) with Union uniforms. Klingon and ally factions get a Krill battleship with two bridge officers (Krill and Kaylon) with Krill uniforms.

Just a crazy idea I had since discovering The Orville since Discovery, Picard, and Lower Decks have failed to provide me with quality Trek.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    As a big fan of both Star Trek and The Orville..

I would prefer them to remain separate. They're each good in their own way and there is just nothing to gain by deluding both by forcing them together.

Luckily, it doesn't matter.. cause it's highly unlikely to ever happen.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    captkelly31#5645 captkelly31 Member Posts: 392 Arc User
    Copying props (Melee Weapons, Artifacts, Outfits) from one Cryptic/PW game to STO would be better.
  • Options
    spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    I thought these clickbait thread titles were against forum rules????
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    As someone who likes both shows as well, no.

Even if it were possible, which it isn't. Why isn't it possible? Getting the rights to use Orville stuff would probably be a nightmare and expensive.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    what if how about no
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    ericcoldfire#9804 ericcoldfire Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I thought these clickbait thread titles were against forum rules????

It is...the OP should change his title...but let the mods worry about that.

My bad.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    I haven't watched the Orville. I have heard about it and seen people talking about it in the YouTube-comment sections of various videos.

From what I've gathered (again, all hearsay and selected by others) it's rather juvenile with jokes about certain body parts and so on.

I definitely hope they're not going to add that kind of stuff to STO.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I'll look forward to Brave new worlds content after it launches
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    Besides, don't people like the Orville because it supposedly is more Trek-like and focussed on exploration?

I think that most Orville-fans would dislike STO for its focus on action, the using of canon just to add cool options while disregarding the messages of the episodes they're based on (players assimilating enemies, Warship Voyager, weaponised Katra's and dark matter) and so on.

Some things in this game are simply great: ship design, uniforms, planetary environments and space maps - basically everything that's design related.

Other things though, the clicky-grindy systems, the promotion of gambling and the abovementioned issue of drawing from canon but adding it in a twisted sense mean that you could consider this game to be banking on the name Star Trek and CBS milking the playerbase without doing much to honour the main messages, ideas and source material of the franchise.

It's a great action game, but it's probably not what fans of the Orville were looking for when they decided to switch from Star Trek to that series.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    Here is the one true Orville. Maybe the Risians can sell his product in the Summer Store. Feed it to a Tribble and get a new Orville Tribble. Let's you expand to three times your normal size for 3600 seconds. :)

https://youtu.be/jfP7UpCqIgQ
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Here is the one true Orville. Maybe the Risians can sell his product in the Summer Store. Feed it to a Tribble and get a new Orville Tribble. Let's you expand to three times your normal size for 3600 seconds. :)

https://youtu.be/jfP7UpCqIgQ

I like what you expanded upon there: the one true Avis ... the one true Orville, most excellent.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    I for one think they should cheekily reference Orville by releasing a Vulcan ship that has those sweeping arches that connect to its warp ring, so if you, say, slap the Platinum shield visual from the 20th anniversary giveaway on it, it looks passingly like the Orville. Y'know, by pure happenstance and whatnot.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I for one think they should cheekily reference Orville by releasing a Vulcan ship that has those sweeping arches that connect to its warp ring, so if you, say, slap the Platinum shield visual from the 20th anniversary giveaway on it, it looks passingly like the Orville. Y'know, by pure happenstance and whatnot.

Pretty sure you can just do that with the D'Kyr without dipping into copyright infringement.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    Normally I like crossovers if they are done well (and I have done plenty of them for stories or RP games), but crossing The Orville and STO would not add much (Orville feels so much like TNG without the technobabble drudgery) that there would not be the necessary contrast to make it interesting except as a sort of fanservice.

And on top of that it would probably offend and annoy CBS which is the last thing they need.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    It fits better than Lower Decks.

I would like that and likely even build a themed Union character.

Not that I think it will ever happen. CBS probably would even consider this thread as an evil booboo-taboo that need to go away. ;)
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I'm actually still waiting for the NSEA Protector to show up in game. Now THAT would be a promo/lockbox I would invest in...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    Every time I see YouTube vids of franchise crossovers they have the habit of killing the immersion of both universes no matter how good they are made.

I would not want to do that to either Trek or Orville as I happen to like booth of them too much on their own.

Edit: Stat Trek, especially Discovery, Picard and Lower Decks is still ways better than Orville so STO would kinda loose more here than it has the chance to gaining. 😉
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
This discussion has been closed.