test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need better ways to acquire needed doffs

mauiddeeb#6429 mauiddeeb Member Posts: 16 Arc User
I've been gri ding for months to get my Engineering reputation up to 15 so I can craft the nifty Aegis impulse engines only to find out I do not have a required doff to make the things. And now it seems my only avenues for getting Professor Jefferson Hawk is to do the 48 hour request R&D personnel task and hope for a good roll every two days, or miraculously find him for sale on the exchange. It would be nice if there were some episodes or tasks that one could complete to get specific, required doffs.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    It's true that getting the R&D doffs is annoying.

If you give up on waiting, Aegis and other R&D level 15 items are not bound so you can buy them on the exchange.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    True, though that points out a shortcoming of how they are listed on the exchange, you need to know the exact name of the doff you want because there is no way to filter on whether they are R&D doffs or not so you have to go doing a detailed inspection of hundreds of doffs hoping to find one if you do not have that name.

And even knowing the names they are rarely on the exchange, the few who are are probably from people who don't know about the special crafting doff requirement.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yeah, easier to just buy the set off the exchange. On PC currently, all 3 parts come to less then 6M total for the set.. that's pretty cheap.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I've been gri ding for months to get my Engineering reputation up to 15 so I can craft the nifty Aegis impulse engines only to find out I do not have a required doff to make the things. And now it seems my only avenues for getting Professor Jefferson Hawk is to do the 48 hour request R&D personnel task and hope for a good roll every two days, or miraculously find him for sale on the exchange. It would be nice if there were some episodes or tasks that one could complete to get specific, required doffs.

Aegis shield DO is probably the hardest one to find, but you can find the other R&D DO on the exchange... from common to very rare DOs.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    If you want the Aegis set, PM me in game. provide the mats I'll make it for you. it DOES take 20 hours per piece though. I have a lot of the other doffs to so I cam make most of the specialty consoles and weapons. No guarantee on mods
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    mauiddeeb#6429 mauiddeeb Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Thanks for the comments and help. I did find them on the exchange. And purchased one copy of the Aegis engines. But I had hoped to be able to make some for my other ships and to sell on the exchange and make some ecreds. But now I see the barriers are practically insurmountable.

And don't get me started on the rare mats needed for some reputation system construction. Only through hours of game play can you hope to get one of the several items you need. I know this is an old game, but why make it so difficult to make some of the cool things in the game? Eventually we all get bored with it and go off to other games. But maybe Arc doesn't really care about this old game or its players. It's just an old cash cow at this point. Barely put in any money for what they are getting out of it. Geez!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    One of my Characters ended up with three Gummares from the R&D Recruitment Assignments. I slotted those consistently and didn't realize I had so many until I was down to maxing the Shields (final) School to 20. Doing three Aegis Shields as well as three Research Assignments made that 19-20 go really fast.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I don't think Gummare is that hard to get, but yeah it does require slotting the RnD request continuously which is incredibly annoying since you have to go back to the academy every time.

What you should remind yourself is that you only need to get him once, and from there you can make all the Aegis you want for this character and any future characters. You should know that in doing that you'll also be getting white DOFFs that allow you to craft a lot of the other unique equipment in the RnD crafting like conductive RCS and so on. You can of course buy better versions off the exchange, but have fun finding them.
  • Options
    fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    I just got mine from the K13 fleet station
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Gamma Recruits get a Very Rare Aegis Doff when they reach 15 in a School that was not started at 15.

A Very Rare Professor Jefferson Hawk (Bind on Acquire) can drop from a Reinforcement or Fleet Support Duty Officer Packs.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    I agree the r&d doffs are a massive pain...I've literally got 3 copies of the ferengi on my old main and nothing of the others
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    DOFFs & BOFFs imo are treated as a hot mess. Very convoluted process to seek out &/or purchase most times.
  • Options
    westmetals wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    I agree the r&d doffs are a massive pain...I've literally got 3 copies of the ferengi on my old main and nothing of the others
    DOFFs & BOFFs imo are treated as a hot mess. Very convoluted process to seek out &/or purchase most times.

Not convoluted or a pain or a mess at all. The Aegis doffs are the exception to the rule - the others can be bought (non-randomly) at the Fleet K13 doff vendor.

Sorry...I guess you like doing something over and over and over and over again and not getting what you want because of broken RNG. I call that a pain...

I could just buy the crafted items I want but I'd rather not have to spend money I'm saving for other things just because the RNG on the Doff system is borked. (And IT IS borked...I've failed things with a 100% chance of success)
  • Options
    darknovasc01darknovasc01 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    Posts like this remind me of just how much I miss the old Bazaar from Star Wars Galaxies.

Full Hierachical structure, properly categorised, no 400 item search limit, and by the time the game closed you could add attributes from an item to your search, with min/max values and value ranges (just imagine that with your doff searches)

10 years on and the STO Exchange has still not even got close to that level of functionality
  • Options

Not convoluted or a pain or a mess at all. The Aegis doffs are the exception to the rule - the others can be bought (non-randomly) at the Fleet K13 doff vendor.

Sorry...I guess you like doing something over and over and over and over again and not getting what you want because of broken RNG. I call that a pain...

I could just buy the crafted items I want but I'd rather not have to spend money I'm saving for other things just because the RNG on the Doff system is borked. (And IT IS borked...I've failed things with a 100% chance of success)

Yes but did you not say you have three of the Aegis guy already? And as I said the rest are easily available in a non-randomized form from a vendor. There is literally no randomness preventing you from getting the doffs.

My whole point was I've done the R&D thing tons of times and all I ever get is that Ferengi...not everyone has tons of EC sitting around

All stick and no carrot isn't a good system
  • Options

Yes but did you not say you have three of the Aegis guy already? And as I said the rest are easily available in a non-randomized form from a vendor. There is literally no randomness preventing you from getting the doffs.

My whole point was I've done the R&D thing tons of times and all I ever get is that Ferengi...not everyone has tons of EC sitting around

All stick and no carrot isn't a good system

Who said anything about EC? They're sold at a fleet vendor, it's fleet credits.

Not everyone has a fleet or many fleet credits either...smaller fleets are stagnant because very few wants to give up their precious dilithium and larger fleets go through missions quick...can be hard to earn a lot fleet credits and there are so many other things than blowing a console's worth of fleet credits for a doff.

Not everything is so black and white...but naturally because it may be easy enough for you, it must be easy for everyone!
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2020
    Honestly I'm not even sure that Professor Jefferson Hawk is available with the 48hr R&D Assistance DOFF task at the Academy. I know the Ferengi is, as I thought the Professor was only Xindi Lockbox, which is honestly very sad, given it's such an old Lockbox! :'(

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Aegis_Technological_Research

I strongly wish they'd revise that, as the Professor should be an Academy reward! I also wish they offered a KDF Joined Trill Professor for Aegis as well for Klingons!

Seriously, I've long wished both Academies had 2-5 Prof or Prof Assist, from Rare to Very Rare you could earn. Possibly each offering a few special unique ground or space specializations; not to mention a new Adv Solanae or Adv Dyson Space Set, or could expand a few new projects in a particular Reputation, every MOD or update to offer something new.

Still hoping with Discovery Season 3, it may see a focus on new Episodes, and again might continue the story started in Future Proof where the signing of the future Temporal Accords didn't occur once thought.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    He comes out of the Reinforcement or Fleet Support Doff Packs - originally from the Xindi, but now just homogenized from Infinity drops of those Doff Packs.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    I just got mine from the K13 fleet station

The Fleet K-13 doff vendor sells all of the other special R&D doffs (in purple too!), but I think does not sell the one needed for the Aegis set items.

Excellent information for this issue. Thanks you two & to others. It'll definitely be a sign of the end-times for me & STO when I begin crafting just because of ... shrug lol

• Options
    spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    Maybe Mudd will get his hands on them some time. I hate to think what the price would be.
  • Options
    Maybe Mudd will get his hands on them some time. I hate to think what the price would be.

lol Cryptic purposely making something scarce &/or difficult to get to then price-tag it at an insane rate, you're probably on to something there.
This discussion has been closed.