test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

In the STO Year of the Klingon, all player factions except Klingon get free DOFFs today?

Comments

• Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    kiksken wrote: »
    nightken wrote: »
    casualsto wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the LGBT KDF feelts and for the Conservative FED fleets to appear.
    Not sure how a Klingon would react to LGBT people...
    Not very well, I gather...?

not necessarily, if for no other reason then klingons value warrior over just about anything else if a LGBT person is a great warrior or even just passable the rest is less important. plus klingon culture is such that any responding to any extreme bigotry with a backhand then a fight to the death, and when questioned saying they disrespected me and my house is valid behavior.
    Depends...
    Since they are all about honour and respect... I cannot see such a thing being possible.
    Warrior being LGBT, I think, would be seen as a fail?
    It's not very manly to kiss another male, for a Klingon.
    All they seem to care for is having the other ones guts for dinner.
    Sex seems more as a weapon or tool (remember the sisters trying to seduce Worfs brother?), or purely for creating offspring, seems, considering how Klinks act towards their own, as well as the opposite gender...?
    Could be wrong though, note.

honestly that all sounds like a whole lot of you projecting your idea of... I don't even know then klingon anything.

why would a klingon's idea of whats manly have anything to do with if who their kissing is male or female? this isn't shown or even implied anywhere.

thats literally just the duras sisters.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    honestly that all sounds like a whole lot of you projecting your idea of... I don't even know then klingon anything.

why would a klingon's idea of whats manly have anything to do with if who their kissing is male or female? this isn't shown or even implied anywhere.

I do not know, in fact, but their general behavior makes me think as such.

For the record, I personally have no issues with the LGBT community.
    I have three friends (1 male, 2 female) which are LG, I can care less.

In MY reality, there are only 2 SPECIES: that which I CAN live with, and that which I CANNOT live with.
    No matter religion, colour, preferences, ...
    If you're good to me, I will be very good to you.

It is, thus, not my personality that I project from, but yes, the idea, the feeling they give me.
    On the other hand, hell, even ST-TNG was very straight, which somewhat annoyed me.
    They did well in Discovery (Stamets-Culbert) which I enjoyed quite a bit.
    And the 2 from the Kelvin timeline movies, forgot their names.

It just makes it more realistic, IMHO, as not everyone is just straight...

These Klingons then... they are quite a different thing all together.
    As said, seeing their general behavior... I get the feeling an LGBT community there would be shunned like the plague, if not worse.
    But, I could be quite bloody wrong, for sure!!!
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

I do not know, in fact, but their general behavior makes me think as such.

For the record, I personally have no issues with the LGBT community.
    I have three friends (1 male, 2 female) which are LG, I can care less.

In MY reality, there are only 2 SPECIES: that which I CAN live with, and that which I CANNOT live with.
    No matter religion, colour, preferences, ...
    If you're good to me, I will be very good to you.

It is, thus, not my personality that I project from, but yes, the idea, the feeling they give me.
    On the other hand, hell, even ST-TNG was very straight, which somewhat annoyed me.
    They did well in Discovery (Stamets-Culbert) which I enjoyed quite a bit.
    And the 2 from the Kelvin timeline movies, forgot their names.

It just makes it more realistic, IMHO, as not everyone is just straight...

These Klingons then... they are quite a different thing all together.
    As said, seeing their general behavior... I get the feeling an LGBT community there would be shunned like the plague, if not worse.
    But, I could be quite bloody wrong, for sure!!!
    ''

just to be clear did mean you hold those ideas yourself I apologize if it seems like I did. just gonna drop it here before we derail this thread anymore.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Of course, there could be KDF-aligned equivalent doffs waiting in the wings if the cartoon has the "heroes" of Lower Decks run into their Klingon equivalents somewhere down the line, and if so Cryptic could not release them right now because of non-disclosure. It probably isn't the case, but it is possible so this strife may be for nothing.

I like the optimism & that is completely plausible, but given Cryptic's track-record I doubt it probable & will stick with my:

Cryptic could've spent minimum time creating (4) generic uncommon KDF-aligned DOFFs with the same traits as the Lower Decks DOFFs & whatever KDF-aligned face pics, that's why I bought the Doctor Hologram BOFF from Mudd's & not Geordi La Forge, the Doctor had a KDF counter-part whereas Geordi's Hologram sadly didn't.

At this point do we really expect Cryptic to take an extra-step for the players' benefit most of the time, especially for non-Fed-aligned?

Cryptic was probably told by CBS to create a Lower Decks STO tie-in so Cryptic did just what they had to do & probably didn't even entertain a thought of maybe doing more.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Really don't get the uproar about these doffs (here and in the other thread). They're a promo for a new show, making four doffs likely took one intern less than an hour (i.e, it's not taking away from this "Year of Klingon" thing), and they're nothing special - they're not some massive slap in the face to KDF players. Mountain out of molehill situation.

Not even bothering to claim them on most of my Feds - I don't need more green filler in their doff rosters.

(disclaimer - I've got Feds, Roms, & KDFs. I don't see the point in just playing one faction, let alone being partisan about it.)
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    here OP
    cheese.jpg

to go with your

wine-600x800.jpg

We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    > @kiralyn said:
    > Really don't get the uproar about these doffs (here and in the other thread). They're a promo for a new show, making four doffs likely took one intern less than an hour (i.e, it's not taking away from this "Year of Klingon" thing), and they're nothing special - they're not some massive slap in the face to KDF players. Mountain out of molehill situation.
    >
    > Not even bothering to claim them on most of my Feds - I don't need more green filler in their doff rosters.
    >
    >
    > (disclaimer - I've got Feds, Roms, & KDFs. I don't see the point in just playing one faction, let alone being partisan about it.)

Well some people here are at an uproar when ever fed gets anything it doesn't have to be exclusive like this one, but as long as Cryptic isn't giving the middle finger to feds with content they rage.
  • Options
    just to be clear did mean you hold those ideas yourself I apologize if it seems like I did. just gonna drop it here before we derail this thread anymore.
    No harm done.
    And sure, I agree. ;)
  • Options
    fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    > @kiralyn said:
    > Really don't get the uproar about these doffs (here and in the other thread). They're a promo for a new show, making four doffs likely took one intern less than an hour (i.e, it's not taking away from this "Year of Klingon" thing), and they're nothing special - they're not some massive slap in the face to KDF players. Mountain out of molehill situation.
    >
    > Not even bothering to claim them on most of my Feds - I don't need more green filler in their doff rosters.
    >
    >
    > (disclaimer - I've got Feds, Roms, & KDFs. I don't see the point in just playing one faction, let alone being partisan about it.)

Well some people here are at an uproar when ever fed gets anything it doesn't have to be exclusive like this one, but as long as Cryptic isn't giving the middle finger to feds with content they rage.

Well, no.

The issue arises when feds get summat and the KDF side has no version NOT the other way around as your fail of a starwman would imply.

Now I'm a KDF only player, my feddybear alt never made it past level 30, and I can see the issues. The legendary set with no KDF version, despite the fact that Klingon ships have been the iconic antagonists since the TOS. Even the roms got a legendary yet nowt for the Klingons?

All the best KDF ships, especialy the carriers are behind lock box paywalls while Feds get zen ships and deals thrown at them. The Akira package is a great example of this, no version for the KDF? Both the Neghvar and Vorcha are PERFECT candidates as they have a similar range of variants along the tiers as the Akira.

Now I'm not acrtualy fussed about these doffs, justa bunch of greens, my KDF main as 200 purple doffs so I wouldn't have use and it's to tie-in a specific TV show.

However I can see how people can get annoyed when it's not just ONE thing but time after time, just one faction gets the goodies. The 30% argument holds little water either, especialy with the Akira v Neghvar/Vorcha thing as doing a mirrored zen package would be very little work. In my community our Jewish community is very small but we still go out of our way to have a kosher range and we still make money from that AND from the rest of the products.

Catering to the minority isn't bad business sense.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I'm going to get the Moderators to add Klinks and Feddiebears to the TRIBBLE List. They are offensive to the memory of President Theodore Roosevelt and Colonel Klink. They are either used in a pejorative manner or as a result of laziness in order to save typing two letters. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    I'm still waiting for the LGBT KDF feelts and for the Conservative FED fleets to appear.

not necessarily, if for no other reason then klingons value warrior over just about anything else if a LGBT person is a great warrior or even just passable the rest is less important. plus klingon culture is such that any responding to any extreme bigotry with a backhand then a fight to the death, and when questioned saying they disrespected me and my house is valid behavior.
    Depends...
    Since they are all about honour and respect... I cannot see such a thing being possible.
    Sex seems more as a weapon or tool (remember the sisters trying to seduce Worfs brother?), or purely for creating offspring, seems, considering how Klinks act towards their own, as well as the opposite gender...?

Since klingons are based upon the Samurai. Then you have to look closely at the Way of Bushido. Historians are torn on this subject, and some argue that man love was as much a part of it as the training. But, we're also talking Japanese culture here, and what you do behind closed doors is your business. So I wouldn't say it wasn't a thing. I'd say a rare thing, given the klingon mating ritual, where the female become violent and starts throwing things at the male, an th male becomes a fairly docile poet, trying to dodge what's being thrown in his direction.

Plus, other than Worf, how often are the private lives of the klingons mentioned? Not very often. Nor do they bring up such things. Which goes back into the private life, and as long as you can do your duty and uphold your honor, why should they care?
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    (response to redacted post removed) - darkbladejk
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    ... and we couldn't even create a KDF toon until we had leveled a UFP toon to Level 10.
    Wasn't that level 30?
    I seem to recall, it took a long period of playing to get the KDF free?
    trennan wrote: »
    ... why should they care?

I do not.
    I just wondered, how the Klinks would react to this.
    At FIRST GLANCE they would not appreciate this, but as mentioned before, I could be quite wrong here.

On a different note, this part was closed off, by request from another poster, as it derails the topic at hand.
    Let us respect this, please.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ... and we couldn't even create a KDF toon until we had leveled a UFP toon to Level 10.
    Wasn't that level 30?
    I seem to recall, it took a long period of playing to get the KDF free?
    It got upped from 8 to 32-ish at some point before LoR.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options

Depends...

Since klingons are based upon the Samurai. Then you have to look closely at the Way of Bushido. Historians are torn on this subject, and some argue that man love was as much a part of it as the training. But, we're also talking Japanese culture here, and what you do behind closed doors is your business. So I wouldn't say it wasn't a thing. I'd say a rare thing, given the klingon mating ritual, where the female become violent and starts throwing things at the male, an th male becomes a fairly docile poet, trying to dodge what's being thrown in his direction.

Plus, other than Worf, how often are the private lives of the klingons mentioned? Not very often. Nor do they bring up such things. Which goes back into the private life, and as long as you can do your duty and uphold your honor, why should they care?

Considering that only the 3 big monotheistic faiths have anything against same sex relations and our own history's warrior cultures had little problem with it and some actively encouraged it (look at the Spartans), I don't see the Klingons really caring to be honest.
  • Options

Depends...

Considering that only the 3 big monotheistic faiths have anything against same sex relations and our own history's warrior cultures had little problem with it and some actively encouraged it (look at the Spartans), I don't see the Klingons really caring to be honest.

Honestly the Abrahamic religions have issues with sex relations period and I'm saying this as an christian, so the idea that the klingon culture would have the same idea what's manly as modern day Western countries seem odd, that wasn't even true for all western cultures (for example ancient romans considered excessive sexual desire to be unmanly).
  • Options
    Thank you for the input in the LGBT matter. :)
    Yes, I believe to recal this.
    I am not sure though, my brain is not what it used to be.
  • Options
    Thank you for the input in the LGBT matter. :)
    Yes, I believe to recal this.
    I am not sure though, my brain is not what it used to be.

Well being bi and out of the closet LGBTQ+ matters are something I'm personally invested in.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Well being bi and out of the closet LGBTQ+ matters are something I'm personally invested in.
    I have three LGTB friends, and I respect the LGTB community.

This aside...
    You just said, being bi, it is a personal matter.
    Do understand: your personal preferences have ABSOLUTELY no meaning in the realm of STO.
    You should not force your perspective from a personal feeling into something like STO, since both realities are not the same.

I spoke from what I understood, seeing their general behaviour to one another and others, NOT from a personal opinion on the matter.

If this was about, say, Bajorans or Andorians, then hell yes: LGBT is good, and by them accepted.
    But Klingons...?
    I do not say, it cannot be, note.
    I just ask myself, seeing how they act in general, if they would not see LGBT as faulty, weak, wrong.

As I said before: the give me the feeling, sex is either a tool, or for making offspring.
    You never see them 'romantically' involved, it's "always" somewhat... beastly, I might even say.
    They seem very Neanderthal in the subject of sex?
    Hence my reaction, more like a question, about what the formal attitude is of Klingons and LGBT.
    It was NOT an objection, I merely pointed out my feelings in the matter.

One cannot disagree, when I state, there is not that much information in this regard, about the Klinks, true?

Now...
    What we need, is someone with an in-depth knowledge of Klingons, and whom is unbiased either way, to settle this topic.
    I probably will not be seen as unbiased, while in fact, I totally am.
    Whichever answer it will be, it should be LORE correct, and not personal in nature, my friend.

And this, of course, counts for ME just as well.
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    #CBScares
  • Options

This aside...
    Do understand: your personal preferences have ABSOLUTELY no meaning in the realm of STO.
    You should not force your perspective from a personal feeling into something like STO, since both realities are not the same.

I spoke from what I understood, seeing their general behaviour to one another and others, NOT from a personal opinion on the matter.

If this was about, say, Bajorans or Andorians, then hell yes: LGBT is good, and by them accepted.
    But Klingons...?
    I just ask myself, seeing how they act in general, if they would not see LGBT as faulty, weak, wrong.

As I said before: the give me the feeling, sex is either a tool, or for making offspring.
    You never see them 'romantically' involved, it's "always" somewhat... beastly, I might even say.
    Hence my reaction, more like a question, about what the formal attitude is of Klingons and LGBT.

One cannot disagree, when I state, there is not that much information in this regard, about the Klinks, true?

Now...
    What we need, is someone with an in-depth knowledge of Klingons, and whom is unbiased either way, to settle this topic.
    Whichever answer it will be, it should be LORE correct, and not personal in nature, my friend.

I don't see how the Spartans could accept and encourage same sex relations and Klingond not being able to do so.

Klingons neandathal? Did you watch DS9? They are a deeply romantic people, Klingon opera, romantic songs sung at dinners? Several times Klingons are shown having sex for the pure pleasure of it, even Quark nailed a Klingon lass!

You talk about lore while ignoring the lore which is very ironic.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    What does the sexual orientation of Klingons have to do with the original topic of discussion here? It's not like we have a LGBQT Klingon character unlock on the C-store that is Federation faction only. This topic started to discuss what the UFP faction gets that the KDF faction doesn't, and why the disparity between the two has always existed... As far as I am concerned, sexual orientation of Klingons does not fall under that category, and in terms of gameplay would be a ROLEPLAYING element, not something tied to what one faction gets that the other does not.

Can we get back to the main discussion before this degrades into an argument over sexual orientation preferences? It's on the slippery slope leading towards it even now...
    Agreed.
    But you might better read up and see how this came to be.
    I did not begin this, merely replied.

I also asked to leave the topic, but some do not want to, seems:
    On a different note, this part was closed off, by request from another poster, as it derails the topic at hand.
    Let us respect this, please.
    Thank you.

But as folks reply, I replied out of respect.
    It seems unrespectful to not answer.

Either way, I did not begin this part of the discussion, sir.
    Not quite fair to quote me here, I did not instigate it.
  • Options

This aside...

But Klingons...?

Now...

What does the sexual orientation of Klingons have to do with the original topic of discussion here? It's not like we have a LGBQT Klingon character unlock on the C-store that is Federation faction only. This topic started to discuss what the UFP faction gets that the KDF faction doesn't, and why the disparity between the two has always existed... As far as I am concerned, sexual orientation of Klingons does not fall under that category, and in terms of gameplay would be a ROLEPLAYING element, not something tied to what one faction gets that the other does not.

Can we get back to the main discussion before this degrades into an argument over sexual orientation preferences? It's on the slippery slope leading towards it even now...

To be honest, not sure why the thread is even still open.

It's the same old thing. Feddy bears getting exclusives, KDF community pointing out it happens too often, Feddy bears gloating and legitimising the isolation of part of the player base etc.
This discussion has been closed.