test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Covert Phasers vs Regular Phasers: which to choose?

devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 222 Arc User
I've been experimenting with regular phaser weapons and covert phaser weapons on my new Section 31 vessels, and to be honest, I don't see much of a difference. The covert weapons are not quite as powerful as regular phasers, but according to the specs they generate 50% less threat. In terms of overall performance, I can't tell which type has a clear advantage, if any. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

There is a noticeable difference with cannons. Regular phaser cannons have a flight time to reach the target, about one or two seconds at long range. Covert cannons and turrets are much faster. In fact, I would say the difference for time on target between covert cannons and any type of beams is negligible.

What are your thoughts? Does anyone else see a clear advantage of one type over the other? Do you have a preference? What is the last digit of pi?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,830 Arc User
    Do you need extra agility? If not then your best bet out of the two would probably be some crafted phasers with Pen on them

If you don't care what phasers then sensor-linked are probably the best
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    The difference between most variants is relatively minimal. Unless you're building for something specific, just pick the flavor/color of pewpew you enjoy most.
  • Options
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Do you need extra agility? If not then your best bet out of the two would probably be some crafted phasers with Pen on them

If you could indulge my curiosity, how does penetration on phasers affect agility? What effect do sensor-linked phasers have?
  • Options
    devencombs wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »

If you could indulge my curiosity, how does penetration on phasers affect agility? What effect do sensor-linked phasers have?

Covert Phasers have a proc which effects your turn rate and flight speed

Pen is on crafted (orange) phasers

Sensor-linked Phasers have bonus stats instead of a proc and are probably considered the best phasers short of Advanced Phasers
  • Options
    alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User

Just a little warning, sensor-linked are a bit expensive on the AH, and Advanced can only be obtained if you have the MW flight deck connie or the D7 from the lockbox, or the temporal flight deck connie from the legendary pack.
  • Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Time to ruin the visual magic.

Both covert and regular phaser have the same travel time in terms of damage or mechanic.

What you see as an energy missile/suite of energy missiles or beam ray have the same travel distance. It's a long wire between your firing point (hardpoint) and the landing point (hitting your target). The illusion of making some missiles travel faster or slower is purely cosmetics for energy weapons.

The transparent parts during that stream create the impression of shooting a stray of missiles instead of a long jet of light. Jet of light which is applied to beam array attacks.

But since visuals make up a lot of the feeling, feel free to mix, even after knowing this.

The difference is based on calculations and distance.

The covert phasers have a -50% threat generated from that weapon firing. Having -threat unless you're a tank is a really good thing.

On the other hand, I'd go with regular phasers, since the price and availability outweigh the -50% threat at this point.

Because every ferengi here tries to sell overpriced stuff that does the same as the regulars.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    If you want phasers that help with either shield healing or hull healing, then emitter-linked or integrity linked phasers are good choices. And they're not quite as pricey as the sensor-linked phasers.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    iamjmphiamjmph Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Also, what color do you want your phasers, and do you want the beams to be a beam, or look like a more stretched out version of the kelvins( i think thats what the discovery era beams do)....

If you dont care, then as has been said there isn't much of a difference. The main thing would be the proc/bonuses added by the lockbox gear... A look at the wiki shows they all seem to have the exact same dpv/dps...

So if you have ec to spare, and like a red phaserwith procs, go for covert or kelvin. Or go for terran linked if you want red, but bonuses instead of proc
    Blue would be phaser-linked for bonuses or phased bio-matter for a chain attack proc...or andorian if you can get them
    Bio-molecular(undine rep) gets a green phaser
    Standard and Agony are kind of red/orange with procs(and standard can be crafted)
    Harmonics are brighter orange with yellow accents with a proc
    And my barbie of choice, Pulse phasers are a bright orange with a proc
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,397 Arc User
    There is also the phaser variant of Gamma Task Force reputation's Advanced Inhibiting Omni-Directional Beam Array which has 2 nice things:
    -It's an Omni
    -It has a second guaranteed "proc" where, when shooting foes slower than you, they get -10 All Damage Resistance Rating for 5 sec. And since virtually all enemies minus a few exceptions in this game are considered slower than you...

The issue though is that you need to raise your reputation tier to VI and that takes forever.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    There is also the phaser variant of Gamma Task Force reputation's Advanced Inhibiting Omni-Directional Beam Array which has 2 nice things:
    -It's an Omni
    -It has a second guaranteed "proc" where, when shooting foes slower than you, they get -10 All Damage Resistance Rating for 5 sec. And since virtually all enemies minus a few exceptions in this game are considered slower than you...

The issue though is that you need to raise your reputation tier to VI and that takes forever.

The visual effect that procced every single time you fired it annoyed the heck out of me to the point I decided to just go with the trilithium omni phaser instead
  • Options
    finsches123finsches123 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    The Terran Task Force Beam Array and Dual Heavy Cannons from the Terran reputation are excellent weapons.
    They are disruptors normally, but at tier 6 of the reputation, you also unlock a phaser version.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,099 Community Moderator
    echatty wrote: »
    If you want phasers that help with either shield healing or hull healing, then emitter-linked or integrity linked phasers are good choices. And they're not quite as pricey as the sensor-linked phasers.

Also there are the Terran variants that affect Tac, Engie, and Sci BOff abilities, but fire red instead of blue.
    But like someone said... pick your flavor of choice and run with it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,291 Arc User
    I won't pretend to know the actual math, but lets say you go into the middle of a bunch of Mokai, and light off FAW. Lets say you need to generate 100 threat to get thier attention. Your regular Phasers generate 202 threat, cumulative. Covert generate 101. you still just got everyone on the map to not like you too much. Maybe i'm doing it wrong, but if I have 3 weapon slots to fill, and I have 8 weapons, I'm going into earth orbit, put them in 1 by 1 and see which ones cause the most damage, assuming none of them fill in a set.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,099 Community Moderator
    nixie50 wrote: »
    I won't pretend to know the actual math, but lets say you go into the middle of a bunch of Mokai, and light off FAW. Lets say you need to generate 100 threat to get thier attention. Your regular Phasers generate 202 threat, cumulative. Covert generate 101. you still just got everyone on the map to not like you too much. Maybe i'm doing it wrong, but if I have 3 weapon slots to fill, and I have 8 weapons, I'm going into earth orbit, put them in 1 by 1 and see which ones cause the most damage, assuming none of them fill in a set.

Threat Generation makes more sense in a group setting. In a normal MMO, you'd want whoever can take the hits to generate the most threat. You know, the traditional TANK role. Problem in STO is that Threat Gen is also tied to damage output. So it is generally harder for the ships that are supposed to be tanky to be tanky when the harder hitting DPS ships are pulling threat off them. And then there's the Megawell build, guaranteed to make the entire universe absolutely hate the user.

So in STO... its generally if you don't want to attract as much attention as the rest of your team.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    casualsto wrote: »

Both covert and regular phaser have the same travel time in terms of damage or mechanic.

What you see as an energy missile/suite of energy missiles or beam ray have the same travel distance. It's a long wire between your firing point (hardpoint) and the landing point (hitting your target). The illusion of making some missiles travel faster or slower is purely cosmetics for energy weapons.

The transparent parts during that stream create the impression of shooting a stray of missiles instead of a long jet of light. Jet of light which is applied to beam array attacks.

But since visuals make up a lot of the feeling, feel free to mix, even after knowing this.

The covert phasers have a -50% threat generated from that weapon firing. Having -threat unless you're a tank is a really good thing.

On the other hand, I'd go with regular phasers, since the price and availability outweigh the -50% threat at this point.

Because every ferengi here tries to sell overpriced stuff that does the same as the regulars.

After your reply I made sure to pay careful attention to the time between firing cannons and the damage output on target for both regular and covert phasers. Their times are not the same. When I fire covert phaser cannons at a target, no matter the distance, the damage output appears right away.The travel time of covert phaser cannon and turret pulses is much faster than other type cannons and turrets in the game.
  • Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    devencombs wrote: »
    casualsto wrote: »

After your reply I made sure to pay careful attention to the time between firing cannons and the damage output on target for both regular and covert phasers. Their times are not the same. When I fire covert phaser cannons at a target, no matter the distance, the damage output appears right away.The travel time of covert phaser cannon and turret pulses is much faster than other type cannons and turrets in the game.

The floating numbers are synchronized with the animation times. And when they're not, it's server side delay.

The damage was pre-calculated each time. I could settle a sheet to explain why this is valid, but it might ruin your trek experience. I would advise you trusting this and picking based on:
    - What you can get more easily at a higher rarity (Epic > UR in each and every case here)
    - What you like visually/thematically (if you like the visuals of covert phasers firing, it's totally fine - fun is important)
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    Keep in mind that on some weapons, the sound of the weapon firing can affect your choice, depending on your sound settings. If you're going to listen to a weapon fire thousands of times, it better not be a sound you find annoying.
  • Options
    duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    Unless you are running with other people and are generating the most threat, less threat means nothing. But then any 2.5% proc is mostly useless. Go with the weapons that give a base stat increase if you are really trying to eek out that max DPS. But if sqeezing every drop of DPS isn't what you care about, just pick the weapons that look/sound the coolest to you.

I keep the Kelvin Phasers on my Vengeance, but are they great weapons? Nope. "2.5% chance for a minor knock back". Literally does nothing for DPS. But I like the look, they match the theme of the ship and their overload graphics are nice big red bolts! :D
  • Options
    duasyn wrote: »
    Unless you are running with other people and are generating the most threat, less threat means nothing. But then any 2.5% proc is mostly useless. Go with the weapons that give a base stat increase if you are really trying to eek out that max DPS. But if sqeezing every drop of DPS isn't what you care about, just pick the weapons that look/sound the coolest to you.

I keep the Kelvin Phasers on my Vengeance, but are they great weapons? Nope. "2.5% chance for a minor knock back". Literally does nothing for DPS. But I like the look, they match the theme of the ship and their overload graphics are nice big red bolts! :D

2.5% wouldn't even be so bad if it was on shot instead of on cycle...but they decided to nerf that and buff a hundred other things that contribute more to power creep than weapon procs
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    duasyn wrote: »

I use the Kelvin Phasers on my Vengeance as well. I just like the look and sound of them.. I have used other 'better' phasers on it and honestly noticed almost no real DPS difference. You lose like 1-3% tops not even worth worrying about.

Obsessing over weapon procs just doesn't make sense to me unless you're parsing and trying to push every last percent to beat your previous mark. Either way the ship clears the screen in seconds flat. I have gone purely to the 'coolest looking' weapons on most of my ships.
    Insert witty signature line here.
This discussion has been closed.