test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should we have a new event for the Q Winter Wonder Land in 2020?

It has been a few years since we got a new event for Q's Winter Wonder Land. We also see no new event for the upcoming Summer Event either, which is disappointing. We are asking now to give time to make one, if one is not in the works. So would you like to see something new added this 2020?

Should we have a new event for the Q Winter Wonder Land in 2020? 41 votes

Yes, something more than a new ship would be WONDERFUL
58% 24 votes
No, a new ship is fine and Wonderland is ok as is.
41% 17 votes

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    I'm kinda neutral on the subject as they are having to make concessions because of Corona making many of them work from home, so they're not exactly in ideal working conditions. I wouldn't mind seeing something new, but I understand things get in the way.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jo4play#4282 jo4play Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I don't remember when was the last time they added a new event to the winter wonderland, so yeah give me some events
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    We already have 6 rotating events, 2 side missions and 1 TFO.
    Some events just need to be tweaked a bit (like the snowball fight that now lasts like 20 secs thanks to powercreep) and maybe the rotation looked at. Any more events crammed into the roation would just make it feel bloated.
    If anything I'd want the wooden gazebo back, looked way more welcoming than that ice palace.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,482 Arc User
    I would rather they fix the Q's Winter Wonderland old accolades so that they tell you what number you are at currently in the accolade. Many of them do not. While I am for a new event, due to coronavirus not sure they will be able to get one out with how things are now. Personally, I like how the Q's Winter Wonderland is right now. Also, to have less repetitiveness of the events. Otherwise that is all I would suggest.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    aerpegasusaerpegasus Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    There is a lot of empty space on the map to add events. I agree some are not so great. Still I would like to see something new so it feels more updated and that part of the game is being shown some love. I would also be fine with importing something from Neverwinter like the ski race there, that could be made into a STO Q thing quit fast I would think. It is also fun. Or some shooting event with special weapons needed.
  • Options
    I'd like to be able to do something with the actual ice skating. Or at least have a larger area to ice skate on.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    The winter event is my favorite part of STO, hands down, so I'd rather see it stay the same than any of the current features changed. But, adding more on top of what we have would be welcome. I'd like to see something to fill the gaps between events (or during events you may not care for) like an ice skating race, snowball PvP zone/queue, more minigames (think stuff like carnival games, perhaps even making you use shooter mode). Also, how is throwing pies not a weapon yet?
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Chase Q around winter wonderland and bury him in snowballs. Same way we do the other one right now.
    Except he cant cheat and whisk the snowballs away, he has to just sit there and take it LOL.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    It'd be nice, but the 2020 QWW is already done. Six months ahead has pretty much already been finished, you could make suggestions for 2021 at the earliest.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    lowestlvl wrote: »
    no. we got enough broken TRIBBLE in wonderland.

when they fix that, then i'll entertain the idea of adding things.

You DO know that MMOs are NEVER bug free, right?
    EVERY time they add something new, something else breaks. And sometimes when they fix something, something else breaks. There is always SOMETHING that gets bugged somewhere.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I am happy for all the discussion on this. I will admit I do not understand why anyone would be against more content, but ok. If it was a choice of fix bugs vs Wonderland I would say fix all the bugs. That said I would think we all know that is a false choice, lol some bugs may as well be features of the game at this point.

So, back to WWL2020!.. We need something added, show the event some love. I see no reason not to, no reason at all. As said Neverwinter has a few events that should be easy to port over. Also, I love the idea of more time wasters like the pie eating contest to do while waiting for an event you want ect. A reason to keep people around, and also the ideas about moving Q assistants around the map also to avoid clumping people so much.
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Eh I'm thinking they could do a lot with copy and paste and all that time at home repurposing content for the holidays like Days of Doom and and a smaller voth battle zone territory control map where its like maybe a larger portion of the gingerbread village dimension. Also the most copy and paste one needs some attention I mean lets face it there needs to be something where you have three holiday trees that just happen to be orbiting some kind of planet that looks like a snow globe. Then add in freezing space beams and freezing space cannons and new skills into the vendor.

Then to top it all off have event ships that are bought out of the vendor or even won in the future that are just for events just like the ground stuff it would be great to have like ships specific to these events. Like the T'liss and B'rel that turns all of your space weapons into yellow snow and ice or plasma and photon coal projectiles. Peppermint Armitage that fires high yield and spread candy canes and peppermint mines. I mean just endless torp boat love for all to share and take part in where the real battle against the fiends from grethor takes place.

So if it sounds fun, gross, and just plain perverted or overplayed copy and paste content just throw it in there and make it! I mean I wouldn't even knock it if the to hell with honor was changed into fighting in a snow globe that would be fun too.
  • Options
    The problem with the copy/paste idea is that they still need to make assets specifically for the holiday version, as well, code in holiday themed visuals and effects...

copy/paste isn't as simple as it sounds. The holiday version of Colony Invasion looks completely different despite the fact its the same layout, and even feels different because there's ice to slide around on as well.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,780 Arc User
    I mostly just want new outfits.
  • Options

I am sure we will get some scarf or another, which is nice. I just hope for a bit more
  • Options
    bigblackafricabigblackafrica Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    Personally, I love the winter event and start looking forward to it as soon as it starts getting cold outside. I started playing STO when City of Heroes was shut down in November 2012, so the Winter event was my first seasonal event in STO. I understand some of it is quite old and could use a bit of tweaking, but I'd hate to see any drastic changes to the event. The free ships may not be exciting for some players, but some of them are quite good and they are the best way for a "free" player to get access to a decent endgame ship.
  • Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    aerpegasus wrote: »

I am sure we will get some scarf or another, which is nice. I just hope for a bit more

You should know it's more than a scarf, the announcement was already made.

The choices your poll offers are not good, imho. If I choose the first option, it looks like I support the "lists" of stuff people want and the changes proposed. The second option makes it sound like I have no problems and wouldn't want fixes or even entertain the idea of new stuff.

This is in the realm of "opinions" , so I'm sorry if sounds like I am singling you (or anyone who makes lists) out. I'm not. What I want to offer is a few ideas for people to consider/do when forming these opinions. As a note, I do support adding things to do, to the event, really to the game as a whole.
    • How do we reconcile the people who complain there are to many events, that they always feel like they have to chase the next shiny, with the people who want to fill the winter event (any event, or the game as a whole) with stuff to do.
    • Look up the "Psychology of too many choices" .
    • Explore a game that offers those kind of choices. Games like WOW (just an example, insert any current game) may seem daunting, but they are NOT good examples. Login to any number of Asian grindfests that just add stuff constantly for 10+ years. (there are non-Asian games that do this, and Asian games that don't, not picking on anyone.) Jump into and try one of these games.

That would be the basics, we haven't even touched the ideas of, "What would some of ideas actually bring to the game?, Cost in money and time VS. enjoyment for the player base. How much of the player base need or want this? (outside of the small,small, (did I say small?) representation the forum players are of the greater base of customers.) Would filling the area with stuff to do and all the things that go with it, just be a version of "visual spam" like our space battles (sensory overload, can't see what's going on, hardware performance issues, etc).

There I've finished my Monday coffee and armchair game design all in one post,

gHF1ABR.jpg
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,266 Arc User

Honestly I'd wish for proper winter gloves, even ones with individual fingers as long as they looked like you wouldn't get frostbite by wearing them in cold climates.
  • Options
    maina wrote: »

You should know it's more than a scarf, the announcement was already made.

The choices your poll offers are not good, imho. If I choose the first option, it looks like I support the "lists" of stuff people want and the changes proposed. The second option makes it sound like I have no problems and wouldn't want fixes or even entertain the idea of new stuff.

This is in the realm of "opinions" , so I'm sorry if sounds like I am singling you (or anyone who makes lists) out. I'm not. What I want to offer is a few ideas for people to consider/do when forming these opinions. As a note, I do support adding things to do, to the event, really to the game as a whole.
    • How do we reconcile the people who complain there are to many events, that they always feel like they have to chase the next shiny, with the people who want to fill the winter event (any event, or the game as a whole) with stuff to do.
    • Look up the "Psychology of too many choices" .
    • Explore a game that offers those kind of choices. Games like WOW (just an example, insert any current game) may seem daunting, but they are NOT good examples. Login to any number of Asian grindfests that just add stuff constantly for 10+ years. (there are non-Asian games that do this, and Asian games that don't, not picking on anyone.) Jump into and try one of these games.

That would be the basics, we haven't even touched the ideas of, "What would some of ideas actually bring to the game?, Cost in money and time VS. enjoyment for the player base. How much of the player base need or want this? (outside of the small,small, (did I say small?) representation the forum players are of the greater base of customers.) Would filling the area with stuff to do and all the things that go with it, just be a version of "visual spam" like our space battles (sensory overload, can't see what's going on, hardware performance issues, etc).

There I've finished my Monday coffee and armchair game design all in one post,

I do think you may be taking this as something it is not and can't be. I am a player and I do not have the game spread sheet in front of me and well that is one the owner to determine. When making a suggestion to them, as a player, my goal here to to let them know "hey, people would like more in WWL this year. End of story, as I like to keep it simple.

Getting into the weeds on costs, benefits ect is a game of shoot in the dark. Also as I am sure you are aware game forums have a very small % pop of a game and can not really server as a focus group. As best a game owner can get ideas and a feel for what may be liked in a game. I also think it clear WWL is a pop event, and has not had any love in the last few years. As to the poll it is not agreeing to any specific idea, just that you would like something. I think that part is clear and well.

In the end this game is a form of entertainment, just like Star Trek. The more I have to do in events I care about which I think I have shown I do at least care about WWL, the more entertained I am. I think players trying to take all that in account is outside our scope of purpose, and would be based on information we don't have. So I will stick to what want, and what I want is WWL to get something new this year. I am not married to the idea of what that is, just that it gets something. After it is in, I can see if I like it. People posting ideas are great and I have liked a good many of them.
  • Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited August 2020
    @maina Could you link that poll/thread you are talking about, please?

Sure, no problem. Link to thread you are already reading.

A few comments about what I said about this poll. I did say a matter of "opinions", truly in this case there is not a wrong choice. If you have been reading the forums you will see that when people post polls, there are suggestions about wording made all the time. These are based on peoples concerns that their choice is not reflected in the polls. I was doing the same.
    I do think you may be taking this as something it is not and can't be. I am a player and I do not have the game spread sheet in front of me and well that is one the owner to determine. When making a suggestion to them, as a player, my goal here to to let them know "hey, people would like more in WWL this year. End of story, as I like to keep it simple.

Getting into the weeds on costs, benefits ect is a game of shoot in the dark. Also as I am sure you are aware game forums have a very small % pop of a game and can not really server as a focus group. As best a game owner can get ideas and a feel for what may be liked in a game. I also think it clear WWL is a pop event, and has not had any love in the last few years. As to the poll it is not agreeing to any specific idea, just that you would like something. I think that part is clear and well.

In the end this game is a form of entertainment, just like Star Trek. The more I have to do in events I care about which I think I have shown I do at least care about WWL, the more entertained I am. I think players trying to take all that in account is outside our scope of purpose, and would be based on information we don't have. So I will stick to what want, and what I want is WWL to get something new this year. I am not married to the idea of what that is, just that it gets something. After it is in, I can see if I like it. People posting ideas are great and I have liked a good many of them.

Your response was very well thought out and had no personal attacks, your points were made without it. Thanks, I tend not to post here or engage much because the opposite is true most of the time. My only hope is what I wrote did not come off that way. My intention (my fault for not making it clearer), is to suggest that you do become familiar with some concepts and theories, not saying getting a degree in game design or anything.

I didn't mention any of your suggestions specifically, some I like some I don't. I wanted to stress the idea that just throwing out ideas to make them stick is fine and acceptable, but more will stick if you've done your research on what makes things stick. I will also be frank here, excluding your thread, most suggestions are dead before the op hits post. They didn't see that in the 10 years that this game has been around, that idea has been suggested weekly and shown to not work, be bad, or it's some personally trivial feature that is not worth the time to read, let alone work on. Maybe I was lamenting the fact that suggestions tend to be seen as the greatest thing to hit Star Trek since syndication, when they tend to be fan made, gate-keeping, drivel.

I also wanted people (and yourself) to start looking at a bigger picture, "Has this been suggested?", if so what were the responses?, is there something I can do to improve it, etc. Me suggesting the psychology of too many choices be something people look into, was a suggestion (like all the points), of good stuff to learn when thinking about suggestions.

Finally, this has nothing to do with you personally and is not a reflection on what I think of you or your posts. This is something for everyone. Star Trek is a Game, it's entertainment, it invokes passion (like any fandom), but none of that implies that we can't be informed and rational. The ideals presented in Star Trek, the commentary on social issues, the diversity in both Race and Sex, and countless other points, suggest to me "adult" in nature. Sure this runs counter to the thought of "whimsical fun", but this is a Role Playing game it already inspires more structural and rational play, than running through puddles.

I will stop here before I start trying to explain why I feel that idea does not conflict with Johan Huizingas' "Homo Ludens", and the ideas presented there. There is a point of Overthinking in games, but I'm advocating just a little more thinking makes things much better and has the advantage of a inherently better chance at becoming a reality.

Edit-minor(lol right!) spelling errors.

gHF1ABR.jpg
  • Options
    bigblackafricabigblackafrica Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    How refreshing to see honest, good faith discussion... on an internet forum of all places.
  • Options
    How refreshing to see honest, good faith discussion... on an internet forum of all places.

Indeed.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,266 Arc User
    I'm willing for good faith discussion as long as I'm not only one who is suppose to do that. I mean we do sometimes get good ideas from these discussions.

It's when people take the fact I got FED toons as personal insult and thus choose to assume I'm lying or that I'm a planted agent for Cryptic because of this, I have problems with the "discussion".
This discussion has been closed.