test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PSA - Ship slot coupons auto activate

ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
I'm going to toss this on the bug forum as well as per the reply to my ticket but thought I should warn others about this.

I had the 5 2 ship slot coupons from the legendary bundle a while back and was saving them for some new characters. When I logged in last week they all activated and added ten ship slots to my main (who already had a ton of them). I put in a ticket and they told me that it appears to be a bug that causes this but since they can't revert the tokens there's nothing they can do and I'm now stuck with them. Lucky me.

If you have a character that has those tokens on them you might want to hold off playing them for now or if this happened to you then perhaps submit a ticket.

For me - I'm really bitter at losing those slots as I was specifically holding them for new characters I planned to make to use some of the legendary ships, now I have WAY too many ship slots on my main.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• darknovasc01darknovasc01 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    Unfortunately this has come far too late for me.

I hadn't realised they had activated until you posted this. And, in my case, this has happened on all 5 of the accounts I had the Legendary bundle on (and because someone is bound to ask why I have 5 accounts, I am Autistic, and having multiple accounts has been one of my coping mechanisms since I played Star Wars Galaxies) - they have been added to the character that was holding the 5 packs of 2 slot coupons on each account.

If they really cannot do anything to fix this, then that is the last straw for me as far as this game is concerned. Despite the very serious amount of money I have invested over the years, if a game cannot be trusted to not arbitrarily dispose of items I have paid real money for without some sort of remedy available, then that game is no longer worth investing any fruther time or money in.
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    Same issue here, Support told me it was a bug they forwarded to the dev team, but had no resolution for. (Well, that's what they told me after giving me 3 wrong answers all apparently intended to get me to shut up and go away.)

Now I've got 10 useless Ship Slots on a storage character, and when I asked what they intend to do about it, they basically said "It's out of our hands, go post a message on the forums about it". So no idea if they have any resolution in mind or if they think I'll simply forget about it. I paid money for a product, I'm really not about to simply go away when they mistakenly cash the product in for me.

For what it's worth, the trigger (for me) appeared to be cashing in a recent event reward. When one of those character-specific award boxes appears on the character and then auto-redeems itself, it also auto-redeemed other event rewards in the character's inventory.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Easy solution for Cryptic to implement: people that submit a ticket for this bug should be given 5 FREE 2 ship slot tokens once the bug has been fixed. Anything less would be appalling, and just plain bad business.
  • nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    thanks for the warning, happy I kept them in the account bank til each toon used them piecemeal
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Geez that is pretty TRIBBLE poor customer service especially upon such an impact-full "bug".
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    It's possible that this is a very rare bug. I used some of the slot-tokens rightaway, and put the others into my account-bank. Still got one left and even when I had it in my toon's inventory at some point, it was still there.
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    Thank god that I always move these types of things into my account bank. I would be, ahem, perturbed if this happened to me.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yes, I have two in my Account Bank. They are well behaved.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    It looks like the bug only occurs if you have them in a character bank, you're safe if it's in the account bank.

And it's been 3 days since I asked support about getting the tokens back, no reply.
  • tagentagen Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    This probably happened to me as well. I could not figure out why I had more inventory space than I remembered. I'll have to check on that later.

Really wrecks the point of having them as separate items. And there is nothing they can do even though it is 100% the fault of their bug?
    Was this ever confirmed by anything other than support forwarding it as a bug? Fixed? Any resolution for people who effectively lost items out of a $200 bundle?
    Seriously, though. What is happening with this?
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    Last I heard from them they are unable to remove slots from the captain that received them and they can't issue replacements because a) the can't remove the slots I already received, and b) if they put the tokens back it will happen again until they fix the bug.

I would suggest you get in touch with them and log a ticket, then when the bug is fixed ask for the tokens back. Otherwise try and find some other solution (ask for a couple of slots on a different character or something).
    edited July 2020
    I had put in a ticket and they just got back to me now. Apparently they have enough reports to know this is an issue, but not enough information to say anything about it officially. I'd think they would want to warn players who may not realize this bug is happening, but whatever is going on behind the scenes I hope they have something more to say about it soon.

In the meantime, I had a friend log in last week to find a boxed ship had automatically opened and applied to her character. the ship was one she was going to be using anyway, so it was not the biggest problem, but it did make us wonder. What other items may be at risk from this bug?

Has anyone noticed anything else used or missing?
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    tagen wrote: »

Nothing lost, but it tries to open the Klingon version of the EMH from the Medical Pack on every character that claimed it every time that I log them in. Those characters already had it from Phoenix rewards, and since it's unique, the box just sits in their inventory and posts an error fly-in message whenever they log in and it tries to auto-open.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
    anodynes wrote: »
    tagen wrote: »

Nothing lost, but it tries to open the Klingon version of the EMH from the Medical Pack on every character that claimed it every time that I log them in. Those characters already had it from Phoenix rewards, and since it's unique, the box just sits in their inventory and posts an error fly-in message whenever they log in and it tries to auto-open.

This could be good information to get to support. At this point we can only go off of our individual experiences, but it seems this bug might affect boxed ships and BOFFS as well as the ship slot coupons.

Thanks.
    Submitted tickets for all five of my affected accounts, not that I am holding out much hope as it stands.
    Submitted tickets for all five of my affected accounts, not that I am holding out much hope as it stands.

It is one thing for them to keep ignoring the First Contact Day account claim item problem, it is another thing entirely for them to ignore a problem with items from a pack that cost $200 or $300 worth of ZEN.

I really hope they don't try to sweep it under the rug with no response.
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    What do you guys expect. It's Cryptic we are talking about. After ten years of playing this game. You need to learn fast what you can depend on and what not too.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • payback99payback99 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    Every Ticket I have ever sent in to STO support has always been sorry we can't do anything its strange because when I have had problems in Champions Online another cryptic studios perfect world game they have always been able to help. I don't know if STO was poorly designed, the support staff don't care, don't have any power or what but they can't/wont revert an item you accidentally open, or compensate you for actual bugs. This last time I sent one in I had a full set of rep gear equipped but didn't unlock the costume so I contacted them and because they apparently can't look at char data needed me to send them a few screenshots and in the end they said they can't do anything and I had to craft another shield(i think) for the set. With how much money they milk out of people with terrible lockbox rates and stuff you would think they would be a little more helpful to their playerbase and at the very least compensate them for actual bugs that are not just player mess ups.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    @ucgsquawk#5883 pm me your ticket number as well as your @handle in game and I will ask them about this one. I can't promise anything but I have a hard time believing there's nothing that can be done based on other ticket resolutions I've heard of before.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    @ucgsquawk#5883 pm me your ticket number as well as your @handle in game and I will ask them about this one. I can't promise anything but I have a hard time believing there's nothing that can be done based on other ticket resolutions I've heard of before.

They told me the same thing. Not only that, our tickets are marked "solved" and we are told we just have to wait and keep an eye on the forum for a resolution.

There is no acknowledgement this is actually a problem. No information on whether something is being done other than a vague "we'll pass it on to the devs" and really no indication we will ever hear anything back.

We have been getting the same treatment on the First Contact Day reward issue for months. At least that was a free event reward and not something we used a very significant amount of ZEN to buy.

I am generally one to give customer service some leeway because I know the reps there are not going to be able to solve every problem, but lately this has felt like just being dismissed and marking the problems "solved" to make their open case numbers look good. :(
    I raised a ticket for each affected account, and have had mixed results.

I had a positive response for the first ticket raised, but unfortunately the other four were treated as duplicates (even though I indicated that multiple accounts were affected, and listed a different character name on each ticket, the one affected specific to the account the ticket was raised on) and received the following response:
    This appears to be a duplicate of a ticket already in our system from multiple accounts. Please refer to one ticket for updates and include all the important infromation in one ticket..

We ask that you please avoid sending us multiple tickets regarding the same issue. This only increases the delay in receiving a response from us.

This ticket will now be removed from our system and no response from you is necessary. Your primary ticket regarding this issue will be unaffected.

I had assumed it was better to raise individual tickets as the account owner in each case rather than a single ticket in which I claimed to own the other affected accounts, but apparently not. Anyway, I have left feedback for the first ticket indicating the issue remains unresolved on the other accounts, hopefully I can report a satisfactory outcome for them shortly.
    I still have seen no official statements on this. Has anyone else?
    No official 'announcement' as such, only this excerpt from the GM response to my first ticket:
    Upon checking, I can confirm that other players are encountering the same issue. No worries, the developers were informed about this case

No official 'announcement' as such, only this excerpt from the GM response to my first ticket:
    Upon checking, I can confirm that other players are encountering the same issue. No worries, the developers were informed about this case

Which might make me feel better if not for the fact that it is pretty much what they say about problems with the First Contact Day rewards from months ago. Still nothing official on that and I'm told to "keep an eye on the patch notes".

I need a little more to hold onto.
    I wish I could provide better news for you, but in attempting to get a resolution for the other 4 tickets, I now seem to be getting conflicting instructions from support in spite of attempting to follow the guidance given in the response I quoted above.

@darkbladejk is there any chance you could look into this?

On the one hand I have positive response to one ticket, but I don't know if this reflects an official policy I could share, while the other four are treated as duplicates despite each one coming from a different account and naming a different affected character in each case.
    edited July 2020
    I wish I could provide better news for you, but in attempting to get a resolution for the other 4 tickets, I now seem to be getting conflicting instructions from support in spite of attempting to follow the guidance given in the response I quoted above.

@darkbladejk is there any chance you could look into this?

On the one hand I have positive response to one ticket, but I don't know if this reflects an official policy I could share, while the other four are treated as duplicates despite each one coming from a different account and naming a different affected character in each case.

Well, if we don't get anything official soon, any and all information we have on the matter should be fair game. Especially if there is a positive response to be had. I certainly have not seen one yet.

And I still think they should at least warn other players. This bug may or may not still be active, may or may not affect multiple kinds of items, and may or may not even be really known to the devs. To have it go on this long and not announce anything could just cause more problems down the line when people realize something went missing because of it.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    @darknovasc01 pm me the ticket numbers you have. I can't promise anything but I will ask about it for you guys.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    Circling back to this to see if there have been any updates.

I still have not seem anything official about this problem, which is more than a little disturbing if it is not yet fixed and people might be running into it without knowing.
This discussion has been closed.