test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need help - ship died but cannot click F to respawn because it is covered up by screen full of loot

wraithmeisterwraithmeister Member Posts: 392 Arc User
so I was doing 9th rule and had grav well with bunch of ships in middle and I got tractored into core breaches and died.

Normally you hit "f" to respawn when presented with that option, but in my case that window/option is covered up by about 10 "Take Item" windows/buttons in middle of screen due to all the loot dropped by the dying ships.

So the resurrect window is covered up (so I cannot click the button), AND the "F" key to resurrect does not work because the same "F" key is used to loot, but you cannot loot while you are dead, so there is no way to clear those msgs out of the way. The "F" key is effectively disabled.

You cannot rearrange hud either when dead, but I don't think that would help anyway since both the resurrect window and loot windows are tied to the same interaction area...so I expect wherever I move it, the resurrect window would still be covered.

Perhaps there is a chat window command I could use to resurrect but I dont know it.

Eventually, the loot items despawned after a long wait, allowing me to finally resume missions.

Is there a way to avoid this in future, aside from having a less squishy ship?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    you could collect your drops while fighting, a quick double tap of f should grab it before damage stops you most of the time. this would keep you from have some many at once.

also if you main interaction window is full the resurrection interact should be in they secondary interaction window. don't know if you just had so many you overloaded that too but it's something to keep in mind.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    This has happened to me before the way I found to get around it was to press escape key to bring up the options menu and select rearrange Hud and move the loot items to the side to allow access to respawn after I came out of settings.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    I
    This has happened to me before the way I found to get around it was to press escape key to bring up the options menu and select rearrange Hud and move the loot items to the side to allow access to respawn after I came out of settings.

Yes, i completely removed the interaction the screen, i hate it so much.. put it on the side..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    There really should be a "pin to top" function in the rearrange hud screen to keep vital combat functions available all the time in combat.

Several times in the Kobayashi Maru thing I have gotten killed because the secondary interaction panel with all those item pickup tags (and for that matter the endeavor display) pops up over the end of the boff power bar, and on that ship the engineering station was covered at a critical moment. I moved the endeavor thing but there is not much screen space left to shift the pickup buttons to.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    The HUD is desperately over-cluttered, period.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    There really should be a "pin to top" function in the rearrange hud screen to keep vital combat functions available all the time in combat.

Several times in the Kobayashi Maru thing I have gotten killed because the secondary interaction panel with all those item pickup tags (and for that matter the endeavor display) pops up over the end of the boff power bar, and on that ship the engineering station was covered at a critical moment. I moved the endeavor thing but there is not much screen space left to shift the pickup buttons to.

to that end, i think there should just be a default "need" click for all items that drop. (maybe like a 5-10 sec option) that would allow you to continue to play knowing the default is need, or if within that time frame you can choose to "not need" the item.
    i am still not sure why the greed button is still there or how it functions.

the selection option does make the side bar overwhelming at times. not all the time, but a few times it can be.

The need, greed, and pass buttons modify the base number of your roll for the loot. They seem to overlap a bit, and it is probably not simple addition either, but it can be treated as such for illustration.

Pass means you would rather not take it and puts you at the bottom and in theory you only get the item if everyone else passes (or leaves the scenario) and your raw RNG number is highest of those still in the area.

Greed is the average base value which puts you in a higher range than the Pass category, but indicates that you are still ambivalent about it.

Need gives you the highest base number and signals that you really want the item.

I think the default is actually Greed though it could be Pass.

Earlier I was referring to the pickup buttons that start out blocking the middle of the screen but move to the right side of the screen if you don't do anything with them in the center. The ones on the left side do factor in however in that if the buttons on the left are moved to the right they tangle up with them.

And unfortunately the mass wave style scenario that is so popular nowadays with the devs generates far too many drops to keep tapping "F" unless you go in with a practically empty inventory.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Ctrl with Q for need, A for greed and Z for pass. Just train your fingers to automatically do one of those combos as soon as the popup appears.

Looting on console actually does this better, where the loot that is visible is your alone. It is of course then let down by the backwards approach to distance from the loot before its collected with ground loot being obtained from adjacent rooms while space (somewhere that measures in km) has you needing to fly almost into the loot drop.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    I'd love to be able to disable the loot system. I'm finding myself in TFO/RTFO's always hitting pass as 99% of it is vendor junk anyway
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    i think they could simplify the drops by auto roll, or pass. the whole need and greed thing is just stoopid!

and i get you know...i moved that interaction a long time ago. and still make minor adjustments.
    In team content that isn't a queue, the team leader can choose to change the loot system to something like Round Robin or free for all. I prefer Round Robin because it just gives you the stuff without rolling for it at all.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I can't believe you are still waiting to respawn!!! :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I'd love to be able to disable the loot system. I'm finding myself in TFO/RTFO's always hitting pass as 99% of it is vendor junk anyway

ill take it then. i am not good at EC game play like many others, so even pocket change helps. :)
    i think they could simplify the drops by auto roll, or pass. the whole need and greed thing is just stoopid!

and i get you know...i moved that interaction a long time ago. and still make minor adjustments.
    In team content that isn't a queue, the team leader can choose to change the loot system to something like Round Robin or free for all. I prefer Round Robin because it just gives you the stuff without rolling for it at all.

yeah. just wish it was different in TFOs as well. maybe use the auto round robin. or hell, hold all the loot till then end then the game hands out the stuff.

Actually, random price distribution is not a bad idea.. instead of the loot... just press take and goes to the pool, once the TFO ends, it just distributes the loot ramdomly, it's kinda the same, but with way less interaction
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »

ill take it then. i am not good at EC game play like many others, so even pocket change helps. :)

yeah. just wish it was different in TFOs as well. maybe use the auto round robin. or hell, hold all the loot till then end then the game hands out the stuff.

Actually, random price distribution is not a bad idea.. instead of the loot... just press take and goes to the pool, once the TFO ends, it just distributes the loot ramdomly, it's kinda the same, but with way less interaction

WoW uses a system that's kind of like that for boss loot in raids and dungeons, instead of a shared pool, it works by the way that each boss mob as loot table and the game roll from that loot table for team member of the team individually (so there's no risk of ninja looting as your loot isn't dependent on what others get) though even with this system you might end getting nothing.
  • syrupofsquillsyrupofsquill Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    You can re-arrange the hud when dead. Pressing Escape to make the menu pop up doesn't work but you can click the settings button on the mini map then click re-arrange hud. There is also a shortcut, Control + F12
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User

Isn't there an auto-loot option in the game options? Yep, there is. It's under Basic in the options. Turn auto-loot to off, if you don't want it popping up automatically.
  • sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    jcsww wrote: »

Isn't there an auto-loot option in the game options? Yep, there is. It's under Basic in the options. Turn auto-loot to off, if you don't want it popping up automatically.

IIRC, all that does is remove the popup that tells you what's in the loot container before it's added to your inventory.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »

STO has options like "Round robin" for teaming outside queues. But queues are locked to need/greed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.