test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO won't load all of a sudden.

Hi all,

Been playing STO for the last 6 months on my new PC and everything has been running brilliantly.
However this morning i went to load up STO, i hit engage i get to the black screen and have a blue spinning circle and nothing happens. Soon as i click with the mouse i get the gameclient.exe is not responding msg etc.

Ive tried:
restart
reboot of my router
deleted the game and reinstalled it
force verify
safe mode

but yeah nothing seems to work.
I havnt even touched anything else on my PC or updated anything over the last 2 weeks and STO was working perfect until yesterday.

Has anyone ever encountered this issue before?

Comments

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,316 Arc User
    Hi all,

Been playing STO for the last 6 months on my new PC and everything has been running brilliantly.
    However this morning i went to load up STO, i hit engage i get to the black screen and have a blue spinning circle and nothing happens. Soon as i click with the mouse i get the gameclient.exe is not responding msg etc.

Ive tried:
    restart
    reboot of my router
    force verify
    safe mode

I havnt even touched anything else on my PC or updated anything over the last 2 weeks and STO was working perfect until yesterday.

Certain seems odd as I tested my STO just a moment ago and it worked just fine, so it can't be an issue in the client that prevents the game for booting up, that said it could be an issue with another program you're running the same time causing a conflict.

Without knowing your exact stats for your PC it's kind of hard to say what is the issue here.
  • Options
    voyagerrulzvoyagerrulz Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Hi all,

Ive tried:
    restart
    reboot of my router
    force verify
    safe mode

Certain seems odd as I tested my STO just a moment ago and it worked just fine, so it can't be an issue in the client that prevents the game for booting up, that said it could be an issue with another program you're running the same time causing a conflict.

Without knowing your exact stats for your PC it's kind of hard to say what is the issue here.

Thank you for testing it on your end.

Yeah i get the feeling its something to do with windows. I noticed before soon as i hit the engage button on the launcher and then pressed ctrl alrt delete Star Trek Online client in the task manager was showing as not responding. So something is holding it up all of a sudden. Weird thing is i havnt done any updates to anything as of recent...so i cant work out why all of a sudden it just won't work within 20 hours difference.

My PC is a 2019 Alienware Aurora R8.
    9th gen i9 9900 CPU
    16GB DDR4 2666Mhz ram
    Nvidea Geforce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB
    SSD M.2
    Win 10 Pro 64 bit
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,316 Arc User
    I'll let someone who has more knowledge on these things check the stats but those certainly look more then enough to me. Just to be sure you might wanna do a anti-virus check, after all it's better to be safe then sorry and a sudden drop in performance seems odd.
  • Options
    I'll let someone who has more knowledge on these things check the stats but those certainly look more then enough to me. Just to be sure you might wanna do a anti-virus check, after all it's better to be safe then sorry and a sudden drop in performance seems odd.

Yeah for these past 6 months the game has been running flawless never had one issue at all.
    Ive done all the scan and checks with everything coming back clear.

Tested a few others games i have installed and all are running and loading up fine (CoD MW, WoT, Doom Eternal).
  • Options
    Still not working unfortunately this morning that i tried it again :(

Might delete again the copy of my game and this time try to install it and run it through the Steam client...Not sure if im wasting my time or not??
  • Options
    Just a quick update...
    I deleted again my game file and this time installed through my Steam Client and finally the game loaded perfectly once again.
    So would this mean the problem is through the Arc launcher and a conflicting issue with Windows?

• Options
    kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    Just a quick update...
    I deleted again my game file and this time installed through my Steam Client and finally the game loaded perfectly once again.
    So would this mean the problem is through the Arc launcher and a conflicting issue with Windows?

Most likely ARC but you could have saved yourself the time of reinstalling by simply running the game directly from the application or running the ARC repair tool first.
  • Options
    rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    I got booted from the game, and can't log back in. A friend on Discord is still in the game fine. "Loggin in. Please wait."
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• Options
    ereiidereiid Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    Hi all,

Ive tried:
    restart
    reboot of my router
    force verify
    safe mode

In the interest of keeping this thread bumped - I'm encountering the exact same issue with a 2020 Aurora R9, and having completed almost the exact same steps - I was about to go into uninstall/reinstall as my last position, but your post seems to suggest that may not work. Still gonna do it with lowered expectations.
  • Options
    Quick update, since it landed in General Discussion for some reason instead of the Support forums:

Alienware Command Center's most recent update is the offending conflict: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1255925/bson-black-screen-of-nothing

From this thread, uninstalling AWCC and rebooting worked. Quitting AWCC in Task Manager did nothing.
  • Options
    ereiid wrote: »
    Quick update, since it landed in General Discussion for some reason instead of the Support forums:

Alienware Command Center's most recent update is the offending conflict: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1255925/bson-black-screen-of-nothing

From this thread, uninstalling AWCC and rebooting worked. Quitting AWCC in Task Manager did nothing.

@ereiid thank you so much for the info. At least now i can relax as i started to freak out maybe something was going wrong hardware wise on my new PC.

I do remember AWCC doing a small internal update when i went to launch it to adjust some sound settings for my wireless headset. I guess then yeah after that is (the following day) when i couldn't load STO any longer.

But at the moment i still have AWCC installed but installed the game through Steam and so far its been ok.
    So i take it the issue is between the ARC launcher and AWCC crashing?
  • Options
    bfottrellbfottrell Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I had the same problem. Good news! I only had to remove AWCC apps from the startup routine, and this seems to have solved the problem. Also restart, of course. I haven't needed to uninstall the whole application, which is actually a decent utility.
  • Options
    bfottrell wrote: »
    I had the same problem. Good news! I only had to remove AWCC apps from the startup routine, and this seems to have solved the problem. Also restart, of course. I haven't needed to uninstall the whole application, which is actually a decent utility.
    Awesome news to hear that helped to get it back to work!!

How do you remove AWCC from the startup routine?
    Ive never messed with settings like that before.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    How do you remove AWCC from the startup routine?
    Ive never messed with settings like that before.

Try these instructions from Microsoft support: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026268/windows-10-change-startup-apps
  • Options
    borgbuster2borgbuster2 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Hi all,

Ive tried:
    restart
    reboot of my router
    force verify
    safe mode

• Options
    Same thing happenned to me about the same time. I have been playing STO since it's inception. Arc has had me try several fixes but none of them has worked.
  • Options
    Same thing happenned to me about the same time. I have been playing STO since it's inception
    Hi all,

Ive tried:
    restart
    reboot of my router
    force verify
    safe mode

• Options
    I uninstalled my Alienware Command Center as suggested by another and so far so good. Game is running , thanks one and all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I uninstalled my Alienware Command Center as suggested by another and so far so good. Game is running , thanks one and all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    For you guys that had to uninstall AWCC are you running the game through ARC or Steam?
    For me i had the problem obviously when AWCC did its little recent update and stopped the game from being able to launch through ARC but that i installed it from Steam im able to launch the game successfully and keep AWCC on my system still.
  • Options
    n5xtrn5xtr Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    I am having the same issue on my new machine.
    Rog Strix x570-e gaming
    Ryzen 7 3800x
    Corsair LPX DDR4 3600 32GB
    Corsair MP600 1TB m.2
    Asus Dual RTX 2060 super

I have been able to get around this by running Arc and STO as administrator but not anymore.
    Been playing STO since 2011, I have tried to be patient with Arc but I believe that time has passed and I may just reinstall with my Collectors Edition CD.

UPDATE :
    Uninstalling Arc and keeping the games did the trick. STO still runs as administrator but at least it now runs.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    Be sure to TRY after login the Options link in the loader Window and then select Force Verify checkbox and save and restart it.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    It def seems the problem does like more towards the Arc launcher doesn't it.
  • Options
    n5xtrn5xtr Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    strathkin wrote: »
    Be sure to TRY after login the Options link in the loader Window and then select Force Verify checkbox and save and restart it.
    Yes, I have done this many many times.

• Options
    kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    n5xtr wrote: »

Remember to turn off "On Demand Patching" first or you're wasting your time doing a "Force Verify".
  • Options
    n5xtr wrote: »

Remember to turn off "On Demand Patching" first or you're wasting your time doing a "Force Verify".

Thanks for the tip!

Did nothing.

:s