Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    I remember having a warm fuzzy feeling seeing Capt Pike enter Disco, eager to see what the man was about prior to his injuries and the state we saw him in at TOS.

NCC-1701 is going to have a long, even more glorious history.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    Can’t wait for the free uniform that is coming
  • Options
    littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    I suspected they were going to do this because Pike was probably the greatest thing that has happened concerning Discovery. The show was okay, but his introduction to the show really blew me away. I hope they don't overdue it and keep him as he was, being the great character he was.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    Can’t wait for the free uniform that is coming

May the divine treasury hear your pledge! :smiley:
    I suspected they were going to do this because Pike was probably the greatest thing that has happened concerning Discovery. The show was okay, but his introduction to the show really blew me away. I hope they don't overdue it and keep him as he was, being the great character he was.

see above in italics...

this is why i am just know starting season 2. it was difficult to get all the way to the end of season 1.

Season 2 is quite good, way better than one, and a good ending, and well Pike steals the show, he is so... starfleet.. :lol:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    ever since the stupid wesley BS in TNG ive been VERY picky about trek shows. i still watch them as i enjoy the genre and GR's vision...
    Amusingly, "the stupid wesley BS in TNG" was the vision (and at the repeated direction of) Eugene Wesley Roddenberry. Wesley was very much intended to be a self-insert Mary Sue for Gene, which the writers hated. (Wil Wheaton has said that the episode "Justice" was the one in which he came to realize how very badly the writers hated his character - and, by extension, him.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    We’re going to try to harken back to some classical ‘Trek’ values, to be optimistic, and to be more episodic. Obviously, we will take advantage of the serialized nature of character and story-building, but I think our plots will be more closed-ended than you’ve seen in either ‘Discovery’ or ‘Picard

http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/05/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-akiva-goldsman-more-episodic/

It's like a dream come true.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    New Star Trek show announced! It's set pre-TOS about Pike, Spock, and Number 1(her actual name is "Una).

5 minutes later(not really, but just as a joke): people debating Wesley Crusher in TNG.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    I'm hyped. Pike was well done is disco, will be great to get that transition from Pike to Kirk
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    ever since the stupid wesley BS in TNG ive been VERY picky about trek shows. i still watch them as i enjoy the genre and GR's vision...
    Amusingly, "the stupid wesley BS in TNG" was the vision (and at the repeated direction of) Eugene Wesley Roddenberry. Wesley was very much intended to be a self-insert Mary Sue for Gene, which the writers hated. (Wil Wheaton has said that the episode "Justice" was the one in which he came to realize how very badly the writers hated his character - and, by extension, him.)

direction or not, the insertion of him downgraded the show and the vision. i dont dislike the actor, hell, id take the job too, just to be on a trek show, but i think id also look at the character and see some rather pathetic writing and such for him.
    id rather swallow whole packs of gum for a year than to be put through wesley ST ever again.

not sure what GR was thinking, or if he lost his focus, but wesley never fit in. imho.

The main problem with Wesley is that what ended up being that Marty Stu mess was never supposed to be just one character.

The original concept for TNG was somewhat similar in basic structure to the Macross colony ship stuff with more of a separation between the scientific side (under Picard, who was also overall mission commander) and the military side that was headed by Riker. It was supposed to have a parallel story structure too, sort of like The Love Boat and a number of other shows had at that time, and would have involved the civilians and dependents (and saucer separations) more.

Wesley was supposed to be the leader of a sort of wiz kids like nerd gang that meant well but annoyed and usually complicated things for Picard in that original concept but when the writers had too many problems coming up with stories with the weird (for Hollywood anyway) setup they cut it back to a more traditional format and all the things the other nerdgang members were supposed to do all got folded into Wesley.

That is also why there were duplications and gaps in the crew positions, they had two semi-separate crews for when the sections were running independently but then never used them for that.
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    It's like a dream come true.

a dream, for some; A NIGHTMARE FOR OTHERS!
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    rickdanko#9164 rickdanko Member Posts: 1 New User
    This is why you don't fall in love with your first draft. TNG might not have been the success it was had they gone in this direction.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    I think CBS Viacom will be bankrupt by then. Seriously, they are in huge financial troubles. Star Trek will be auctioned off to Disney, and we all know what that means.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    baudl wrote: »
    I think CBS Viacom will be bankrupt by then. Seriously, they are in huge financial troubles. Star Trek will be auctioned off to Disney, and we all know what that means.

Wouldn't be too sure of that, Disney is getting their mouse tail kicked financially by COVID-19 and might not be in any position to do any major buying until they stabilize themselves. CBS/Viacom stock took a hit before the outbreak, sure, but that was from typical merger woes and probably would have normalized quickly if the virus did not make the whole market go into a slump.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    baudl wrote: »

Wouldn't be too sure of that, Disney is getting their mouse tail kicked financially by COVID-19 and might not be in any position to do any major buying until they stabilize themselves. CBS/Viacom stock took a hit before the outbreak, sure, but that was from typical merger woes and probably would have normalized quickly if the virus did not make the whole market go into a slump.

CBS Viacom was on a downward spiral, quoting Forbes here, before COVID 19... a miracle may save them, and it ain't gonna be Picard. But it ain't only Forbes, nothing positive has come from Viacom in years and to stay afloat they might sell off their crown jewels, which Star Trek actually is. So Star Trek almost certainly will be up for graps. Actually the fact that they anounced the show might be them increasing the value of this franchise, creating some hype etc.

And Disney, while they were certainly hit hard, they were financially very well situated before COVID 19. But, yes, Disney buying Star Trek is a guess on my part, it might end up in somebody else's hand.
    But Viacom is getting down to a place where they will need to sell some of their stuff.
    If you hold VIACOM stock now, get rid of it yesterday!
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Disney? Everybody knows that they eventually become SkyNet. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Viacom had a few problems from before the merger from box office flops but it was not crippling. Their stock was listed as outperforming right up until the hostile merger (while it was all smiles up front there was a lot of backbiting and infighting behind the scenes), and those things always cause stock to dip, sometimes fairly deeply, but investors are notoriously skittish and the price usually goes back up when the company does not explode and sink right away.

Unless ViacomCBS becomes monumentally stupid once the COVID thing is over they should be ok. They never were number one in the industry before the split (or during the separated time time for that matter) and even back together they are not likely to gain much ground against giants like Disney but they are not exactly on the rocks either, even with the possible need to sell things like the Black Rock building to take care of short term financial problems because of the added strain of the pandemic.
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/05/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-akiva-goldsman-more-episodic/
    >

They said “episodic.” I was actually really excited about the connected arcs of discovery and Picard—but that format is a little too epic I think (today at least) for Trek.

Certainly monster- or alien-of-the-week format has shortcomings too. But I don’t know if we need a galaxy-threatening apocalypse or war every year (perhaps four a year if they have year-round Star Trek series).

I never thought I would love the word “episodic” so much. Be still my heart.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    qultuq wrote: »
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/05/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-akiva-goldsman-more-episodic/
    >

They said “episodic.” I was actually really excited about the connected arcs of discovery and Picard—but that format is a little too epic I think (today at least) for Trek.

Certainly monster- or alien-of-the-week format has shortcomings too. But I don’t know if we need a galaxy-threatening apocalypse or war every year (perhaps four a year if they have year-round Star Trek series).

I never thought I would love the word “episodic” so much. Be still my heart.

Speaking of the term "monster of the week", the X-files is the perfect example (IMO) of how to have both episodic/1-off stories AND an ongoing "mythology" story in the same show.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Speaking of the term "monster of the week", the X-files is the perfect example (IMO) of how to have both episodic/1-off stories AND an ongoing "mythology" story in the same show.

Good point.

Reading the whole article, it also talks about more continuity—characters that are still affected by last week’s struggle rather than zero growth.

I guess that is easier to do with contemporary seasons having fewer episodes...or maybe it is just reflects contemporary storytelling values—I am not sure.

Off topic: I got the book you recommended Millie’s “Enterprise War” and the one Jon was talking about Ford’s “Final Reflection.” I will probably get to reading them next month when I am back on the train commute...

Thanks for keeping us updated about the Klingon content too. It is an exciting time for Star Trek. Maybe the Disney Trek Era will be more hostile—who knows.
  • Options
    qultuq wrote: »
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Speaking of the term "monster of the week", the X-files is the perfect example (IMO) of how to have both episodic/1-off stories AND an ongoing "mythology" story in the same show.

Good point.

Reading the whole article, it also talks about more continuity—characters that are still affected by last week’s struggle rather than zero growth.

I guess that is easier to do with contemporary seasons having fewer episodes...or maybe it is just reflects contemporary storytelling values—I am not sure.

Off topic: I got the book you recommended Millie’s “Enterprise War” and the one Jon was talking about Ford’s “Final Reflection.” I will probably get to reading them next month when I am back on the train commute...

Thanks for keeping us updated about the Klingon content too. It is an exciting time for Star Trek. Maybe the Disney Trek Era will be more hostile—who knows.

It is actually a moot point, the FCC would never allow Disney to acquire CBS because they already own ABC. Owning both would be a violation of the rules. ViacomCBS would have to break up yet again if that were to happen, and even then it would have to break up along different lines than last time since before the remerger CBS owned what used to be Desilu, and it has always been Desilu that directly owns the IP rights to Star Trek.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Many UK and Australian series may only have 8-10 shows a season. Some half that if they are double length.

CBS will go with the release of one Episode a week for its All-Access originals for one good reason. They don't want people signing up for the free month, watching the entire new season of the new Star Trek series and then cancelling.

The free month for Picard, etc. is a one-off for stuff that already premiered as weeklies and was during COVID-19 lockdown.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    The problem with US shows doing that is that they still think of it as a "season" instead of a miniseries (which eight episodes qualifies as, it is a third of a regular season or less) and try to cram a full or half season of ideas into it, which means none of them get more than shallow superficial treatment at most along with gratuitous eye-candy action schticks.
This discussion has been closed.