test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry - Will we see it again one day ?

Title said it all.

I had so much fun with that feature, even in Beta, it allowed us (in roleplay community) to create so much things.

And exploit :expressionless:

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    No chance - https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1245086/the-f-c-t-frequently-created-threads-list-2-0

Welcome to the forums, but please read that topic (and the other stickied threads) before creating new topics. It makes less work for the volunteer moderators.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Since this is an FCT I'll go out on a limb and say it'll never happen. It's too expensive and time consuming for them to maintain. Does it suck that it won't happen? Yeah. But it's over and it's best to move on.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Since this is an FCT I'll go out on a limb and say it'll never happen. It's too expensive and time consuming for them to maintain. Does it suck that it won't happen? Yeah. But it's over and it's best to move on.

Not just maintain, but since the orginal programmer has left the STO team and didn't leave notes (as it was a passion project to begin with or so I've heard), Crypic would have to re-built the thing from ground up and that would take too much Dev time to be viable.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

Not just maintain, but since the orginal programmer has left the STO team and didn't leave notes (as it was a passion project to begin with or so I've heard), Crypic would have to re-built the thing from ground up and that would take too much Dev time to be viable.

They would pretty much have to build it from the ground up even if the original programmer was still here, from what I have heard it was not actually designed for the same engine and the kludges were sort of like virtual duct tape holding it on. It broke just about every update because of that, and apparently STO does not have the resources to build a version based on the game itself (though it probably would make their own scenario building easier if they did).
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    It would be possible, if Cryptic could find a way to monetize recreating it.

However, like the ground combat being a copy/paste of Champions, the foundry was the same for Neverwinter.

Add to this, STo was first with Atari, then went to Perpetual, and ended up with Cryptic. So, the game as we know it is like an old Ford Pinto. It's running on mismatched parts and held together by duct tape, bubblegum, coat hangers, and bondo.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »

However, like the ground combat being a copy/paste of Champions, the foundry was the same for Neverwinter.

Add to this, STo was first with Atari, then went to Perpetual, and ended up with Cryptic. So, the game as we know it is like an old Ford Pinto. It's running on mismatched parts and held together by duct tape, bubblegum, coat hangers, and bondo.

Yep, a brand-new foundry built from scratch to be maintainable is basically a STO 2.0 question, which is also a F.C.T.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    However, like the ground combat being a copy/paste of Champions...

Eh... I tried Champions. The ground combat over there was clunkier IMO.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

FYI, you got it wrong with the ownership of STO.

Perpetual Entertainment was the company originally in charge of developing the game. The license was given to the originally independent Cryptic Studios, and then Atari acquired Cryptic, becoming the publisher of the game. As we all know, Cryptic was sold and bought by Perfect World who now publish the game, while Cryptic develops it.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    edxelledxell Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    I hope so but I'm not going to hold my breath. The Foundry a brilliant source of original missions.

I stopped putting money into the game the day it was announced The Foundry was closing. I will not pay a single penny towards STO until The Foundry comes back or an equivilant system takes it's place. Whether there are enough players like me to make The Foundry worthwhile is for Cryptic to decide.

• Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User

Perpetual Entertainment was the company originally in charge of developing the game. The license was given to the originally independent Cryptic Studios, and then Atari acquired Cryptic, becoming the publisher of the game. As we all know, Cryptic was sold and bought by Perfect World who now publish the game, while Cryptic develops it.

Yes, yes...this was the way of things.

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User

Yep - and Atari originally bought Cryptic to allow them to finish Champions. Perpetual had the STO MMO license for 4 years, but produced nothing but some design documents; one prototype starship and one ship's cabin in some engine that was so photo-realistic, Perpetual admitted it couldn't be used for the actual game as no current consumer PC would be able to run it at a decent framerate and few mock up (IE concepts all created in a paint program) on static screencaps from their prototypes.

When Cryptic saw the license was available (because CBS was VERY upset Perpetual made no real progress towards a playable game in 4 years) for bid; Cryptic put in a proposal. They never thought they'd get it because there were some bigger MMO houses also bidding, but that competition fell away when CBS released the stipulation: "The game you develop must be ready to launch in 18 months..." - so yeah, Cryptic in the end was the only one left; and they developed a prototype space combat demo for CBS in I believe 3 weeks to show they were serious. CBS accepted the bid; and in the end even extended the deadline 6 months when they saw the game in beta (IMO - even that still wasn't really enough, and the game was VERY bare bones at launch. I was part of their closed beta and (yeah, I guess I am a HUGE Star Trek fan) have been playing STO since the last week of Sept. 2009 <--- Shows how shot the beta was as the game launched on Feb. 2 2010 - and the open beta/soft launch was a week or so before that.And the Closed Beta was never 24/7 - it was two to three controlled sessions a week, each session lasting an average of 1 to 3 hours. They did e-mail us notification of when a patch was ready and allowed everyone to download it a day to at worst a few hours prior to a session. They didn't go 24/7 until their open beta/soft launch.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    I doubt it'll return. There'll be Peace in the Middle East before the Foundry returns.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    No
  • Options
    ncc42662ncc42662 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited March 2020

I stopped putting money into the game the day it was announced The Foundry was closing. I will not pay a single penny towards STO until The Foundry comes back or an equivilant system takes it's place. Whether there are enough players like me to make The Foundry worthwhile is for Cryptic to decide.

As someone who didn't find a use for the game after the Foundry's closure, therefore left and stopped putting money into it, would gladly return and add some yearly coffer, etc if they created a new Foundry.

So add one to your list of players Cryptic can decide over. Anyone else?

P.S. I was amazed, when I popped in to see if by some chance it had returned, only to find a new discussion on it . lol
    "The Prime Directive is merely a guideline to help make the right choice" -Vn'dor Phail, Capt
    :: sneezes :: Why is it no-one dusts the bridge on Starfleet vessels?" -Emsil Marat, Glinn
    "We can not interfere in the progression of one's life" -Richard Lynch, LtCdr
  • Options
    ncc42662 wrote: »

As someone who didn't find a use for the game after the Foundry's closure, therefore left and stopped putting money into it, would gladly return and add some yearly coffer, etc if they created a new Foundry.

So add one to your list of players Cryptic can decide over. Anyone else?

P.S. I was amazed, when I popped in to see if by some chance it had returned, only to find a new discussion on it . lol

Oh, I'd be all for a new foundry. I actually had several things I was working on in the old one. But again, as I said, at this point given the dev time it would take to create it, Cryptic would have to find a way to monetize it to make it worth doing.

Which, I have no problems against them doing so. I mean when you think about it. It was one hell of a dil sink to buy projects, and with over 10,000 missions, including the EC/Accolade farming ones. That's a lot of dil gone out of the system. Now, say, the new one comes with like a say a $5 per month cost to use, this would also be for maintaining it. Which is linked to the missions availability. If the $5 isn't paid, the missions become unavailable for play.

Now, when you think of that in terms of just he amount of foundry authors out there. That's a nice chuck of cash sitting there.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    No chance - https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1245086/the-f-c-t-frequently-created-threads-list-2-0

Welcome to the forums, but please read that topic (and the other stickied threads) before creating new topics. It makes less work for the volunteer moderators.

Do the devs at least use it as a roadmap (its frequently for a reason)?
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

It is more accurate to say that the Frequently Created Thread is for Frequently Created Threads that the devs have given a response for why we will not see it happen. However, Tier 6 Constitutions was part of the FCT thread years ago and now we have them. Certain topics will always be on the FCT thread, but the devs might change their minds and add some feature that is currently on the FCT. It is just not in the devs' current plans to add those features due to the reason that they have specified.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    I'd say the FCT are a combination of

First things Cryptic have considered but isn't on the plans at this point, but those things are so popular that every other thread would be asking about it if they weren't restricted.

second is things Cryptic haven't considered doing at all (like STO 2.0) and are not likely to consider in the foreseeable future and thus they don't want to be constantly be asked about it. This category would also include things that they might have considered but have deemed too much work to be viable (like ships from other ST EU works).

Third is things they're simply unable to do at all like ships from other IPs or similar things, this category essentially contains things that are more or less impossible and thus obviously Cryptic doesn't want to keep saying "we cannot do that" over and over to everyone who keeps asking it.
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »
    I'd say the FCT are a combination of

First things Cryptic have considered but isn't on the plans at this point, but those things are so popular that every other thread would be asking about it if they weren't restricted.

second is things Cryptic haven't considered doing at all (like STO 2.0) and are not likely to consider in the foreseeable future and thus they don't want to be constantly be asked about it. This category would also include things that they might have considered but have deemed too much work to be viable (like ships from other ST EU works).

Third is things they're simply unable to do at all like ships from other IPs or similar things, this category essentially contains things that are more or less impossible and thus obviously Cryptic doesn't want to keep saying "we cannot do that" over and over to everyone who keeps asking it.

That, and the moderators haven't closed it. Because, this is the first one about it I've seen in a while. Since the occasional discussion of an FCT like this, also tends to come with suggestions and ideas. Which could lead to it possibly being reconsidered as to whether or not it would be worth the dev time. Which, in this instance, is how to make it worth the cost to recreate it from square one.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    And BMR seems to be gone as well.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    And BMZ seems to be gone as well.

BMZ and darksword are both volunteer Community Moderators, they aren't paid. So, their real life can interfere with their ability to moderate the forums.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    laranga01 wrote: »
    Title said it all.

I had so much fun with that feature, even in Beta, it allowed us (in roleplay community) to create so much things.

And exploit :expressionless:

I would say no, if Discovery isn't involved then it doesn't get made.

"Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

The players are the ones frequently creating the topics that the devs have already given concrete answers to. Since there is already a hard yes/no answer to the FCT topics, there's no need to create yet another thread about a topic that we already have the answer too. Those topics also commonly turn into flame wars which serve no purpose.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    This is covered under FCT list. Please refer to that list before creating topics. If you are unsure of a topic you may message someone of the moderation team to ask about a topic. Second, until you hear from Cryptic or an official source, assume that it's not coming back, and if it did it won't be coming back for a long while. I have my own theories as most people do in here but there is a time and place for those discussions. /thread
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.