test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Linking your Steam and ARC accounts

Comments

• phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    I think the basic idea is to streamline the login process for Steam users. Logging into Steam will count as logging into the game's launcher too. (So, if you don't use Steam auto-login, you would only have to put your password in once, and if you use auto-login you wouldn't have to put in a password.)

I imagine that if you aren't playing through Steam, then this won't affect you. I don't mind the feature, especially since the password field was never setup as the default control on the launcher, so sometimes I'd have to do my password twice because I forgot to click on the password field first. As I understand it, this is a change to the launcher used by Steam, rather then to the game itself. Not sure how launching STO through Arc client works as I've never tried it and I'm not sure if it would work with the Steam installed STO or want to install it's own copy.
    That's also how I'd expect it to work, but this is Cryptic after all.
    starswordc wrote: »
    I think the basic idea is to streamline the login process for Steam users. Logging into Steam will count as logging into the game's launcher too. (So, if you don't use Steam auto-login, you would only have to put your password in once, and if you use auto-login you wouldn't have to put in a password.)

I imagine that if you aren't playing through Steam, then this won't affect you. I don't mind the feature, especially since the password field was never setup as the default control on the launcher, so sometimes I'd have to do my password twice because I forgot to click on the password field first. As I understand it, this is a change to the launcher used by Steam, rather then to the game itself. Not sure how launching STO through Arc client works as I've never tried it and I'm not sure if it would work with the Steam installed STO or want to install it's own copy.

Arc is smart enough to detect an existing installation and use that.

I had trouble with that, so I just installed it via Steam, then installed it again via Arc. They each only download the launcher itself. Then I just used a junction to map one to the other location. Now both Steam and Arc point to the same installation location on-disk. Of course I also just launch it manually, which I do most of the time.
    I rarely actually use Arc because it runs as Admin, and I can't use my password safe to type into an admin process (I could set it up to do that, but I don't want to).
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    I wonder how it works if you play via Steam but don't have Arc installed.

Guess I'll find out soon enough. :lol:

I play it just fine without Arc being installed.

The Steam Wallet looks great now! Much, much better than before. Now about those bonuses...
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    "Starting tomorrow, you’ll be required to link your Steam Account to your Arc Account."

I will emphatically do NO SUCH THING. I once played Stark Trek from STEAM, years ago, but have never launched it from there ever again, since they introduced Arc, and have no intention to now.

I simply want to continue using Arc. Period. And Cryptic/PWE are grotesquely overstepping their boundaries if they think forcibly linking me to any other gaming platform is going to happen. What's next, demanding that I link my Facebook account, before I can play STO?! Think again!

Demanding ppl link their STEAM account to Arc, when you want to continue to log in via STEAM, that I can see; but not vice versa.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • rjewkesrjewkes Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    Except for Account defender i have never had to log in twice to play sto. are the Devs now in congress solving imagined problems?
    signature2.jpg
    galacticguards.enjin.com/
    Formerly Jewkesman Member from Nov 2009!
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,933 Arc User
    Arc is smart enough to detect an existing installation and use that.
    Nope, I have to disagree with you there.
    I have STO and Neverwinter installed via Steam and Arc has never managed to detect either installation whenever I've installed it.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • ambrodeldkambrodeldk Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Once again, ARC fails to impress me. I was not impressed years ago when I had to launch a launcher to launch the launcher of the game that I wanted to launch. And then click Play to actually, you know, PLAY THE GAME.

Now, I'm still not impressed.

I installed ARC. It didn't detect I already had STO installed in Steam and I couldn't find a setting or button to detect it. So I installed the game again. Fortunately I don't live in a technological 3rd world country, so my 1gbit connection should have made the process go by really fast. It didn't, due to the way the installation process works. So I was limited to the pace of that process. Oh joy. Alright, everything installed, logging in to check I CAN log in and that my account is the same as with Steam. It is. Excellent. Now comes the part that doesn't impress me AT ALL.

Test 1. I reboot my computer. With a bare minimum of background processes running, I doubleclick on the ARC icon. From the moment of the second click to the moment where I am actually looking at ARC fully loaded, it takes me 40 seconds. 5 to reach the "Connecting to account" image. 30 sitting at the "Connecting to account" and the last 5 to actually load the stuff on the Games page. 40 seconds. And that's not even getting into the game at all!
    Test 2. Rebooted again. This time, I clicked on the STO shortcut. Getting to the fully loaded character selection screen, 1 minute and 15 seconds. What. The. FRELL???

Test number 3. Another reboot, this time taking the direct launcher link via steam, waiting for steam to launch, log me in, open the STO launcher, manually typing in my password, manually clicking Engage and reaching the fully loaded character selection screen. 40 seconds.

Sure, I didn't have to reboot my computer every time, but oh well. I wanted to make sure that absolutely nothing was interfering in the background and the fact that ARC spends 30 frelling seconds just CONNECTING TO ACCOUNT shows how poorly this piece of dren is made.

So, what does all of this information have to do with linking accounts? Not much. However, if one day in the future Cryptic in their not-so-infinite wisdom decides that the next logical step after linking accounts is that it's ARC OR NOTHING, then my Lifetime account will be buried forever. I despise ARC in its current iteration almost as much as I did the original one and I really don't want to link it if I do not have to. And I certainly do not want to USE ARC if I do not have to.
  • thatsgottahurtthatsgottahurt Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    I won't link them, mostly because i'm the default "please uncle, brother, dad, can you play the "insert name of the event" for me?, can't do it because of vacation, tests, travel, or anything in between" guy my family goes to...

I don't have a Steam account, but I read this: "Starting tomorrow, you’ll be required to link your Steam Account to your Arc Account."

I have no intention of getting a Steam account. I wonder what they will do to people who have both and don't link them? Will STO just stop working?

Forcing people to use a service they don't want is not the way to move forward. I hope that's not what they're up to.

• alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    I play via Steam... and am unsure if I even have an Arc Account...

Am very confused about this whole thing.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator

You have an Arc Account as that's what you're using to log into the forums.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »

You have an Arc Account as that's what you're using to log into the forums.

Rattler, thank you for clarifying this for me *hugs*
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    So far, if you use Steam but never use Arc.. this doesn't seem to effect you.

I am assuming it only does the link if you have both Arc and Steam installed. I don't, I have Steam but not Arc installed and there has been no change in how I log in.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    So far, if you use Steam but never use Arc.. this doesn't seem to effect you.

I am assuming it only does the link if you have both Arc and Steam installed. I don't, I have Steam but not Arc installed and there has been no change in how I log in.

Well... we don't know for sure as not everyone is getting it until later. So we can't say one way or the other until then.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    I'm hoping this will lead to me finally being able to purchase life time subcription from Steam. Lets hope its going to happen. As the accounts are linked I should be able to use my steam wallet to purchase it. Since I don't use a credit card or have control of my own debit.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    "Starting tomorrow, you’ll be required to link your Steam Account to your Arc Account."

I will emphatically do NO SUCH THING. I once played Stark Trek from STEAM, years ago, but have never launched it from there ever again, since they introduced Arc, and have no intention to now.

I simply want to continue using Arc. Period. And Cryptic/PWE are grotesquely overstepping their boundaries if they think forcibly linking me to any other gaming platform is going to happen. What's next, demanding that I link my Facebook account, before I can play STO?! Think again!

Demanding ppl link their STEAM account to Arc, when you want to continue to log in via STEAM, that I can see; but not vice versa.

@meimeitoo, this is just for people who use Steam. It's so the game launcher can get one's login information from the Steam client the way it does from Arc already, letting Steam players skip the login step.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • virainixvirainix Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    So I have this problem!!!!! I linked my account! great! The game proceeds to the character screen, and I find I have none and the game is prompting me to start a brand new character! :/:/:/:/ But then i found that if I go back out, to where it asks me for my login details again. Then the game loads with all my characters! Its a bit of unnecessary way to login and play.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User

@meimeitoo, this is just for people who use Steam. It's so the game launcher can get one's login information from the Steam client the way it does from Arc already, letting Steam players skip the login step.

Thanks. :) That's what I suspected, when I said "Demanding ppl link their STEAM account to Arc, when you want to continue to log in via STEAM, that I can see;" but their wording ("Starting tomorrow, you’ll be required to link your Steam Account to your Arc Account.") seemed to suggest this was mandatory under every circumstance.

For ppl using STEAM to launch the game, not a bad idea, actually, as STEAM never kept your login details. And there were always issues with Zen purchases and/or discounts not getting applIied via STEAM. So, finally linking the two might in fact be Cryptic's way of trying to resolve these issues.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    [..]
    For ppl using STEAM to launch the game, not a bad idea, actually, as STEAM never kept your login details. And there were always issues with Zen purchases and/or discounts not getting applIied via STEAM. So, finally linking the two might in fact be Cryptic's way of trying to resolve these issues.

No doubt. The issue cost them another $400 last weekend.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User

Thanks. :) That's what I suspected, when I said "Demanding ppl link their STEAM account to Arc, when you want to continue to log in via STEAM, that I can see;" but their wording ("Starting tomorrow, you’ll be required to link your Steam Account to your Arc Account.") seemed to suggest this was mandatory under every circumstance.

I just used the "Charge" link on the Cryptic website (never used Steam or Arc to do anything in STO - hell, you can enter game codes through the website too). So unless Steam or Cryptic is adding some sort of Perk on their end to using the Steam Wallet for Zen purchases, why use it?
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    This would have been a great idea if:

A: Arc quests still exited.

B: See A.

Right now, there is no reason to use Arc. I either use Steam, because that's where my other games are. Or I just use the game launcher itself, and bypass Steam and Arc.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • slaughterbird#1235 slaughterbird Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Question is how do i know if it auto linked my steam and arc account? the fact that i don't have to put in login details on the launcher anymore? ever since the 18th everything seemed fine but after seeing this it does put a little worry for me, I use steam just keep all my games orderly under one "platform" base without having to download multiple platform clients,
    Space is a endless frontier, Full of Endless land and Exploration, Brave Men and Women of the Federation will Boldly go to explore that Frontier.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I'm kind of stuck using Steam because the Proton framework in Steam is running STO for me under Linux without issue outside of Cryptic/PWE normal bugs. That said my account got linked even though I didn't really want to link it since I'm not entering a user name/pw anymore. Up side though my characters are all still in place unlike some people who've lost everything because of a bad link happening. I don't like how this is forced on me.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I just use the Game Launcher.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited February 2020
    It still hasn't asked me to link, I am thinking it's because I don't have Arc installed (only Steam.)

If it does pop up though and ask me to link, I won't be doing it because of the reports of people losing their characters and having to open a support request (they're not really gone.)

If prompted, I'll shut down Steam and run the game stand alone. This really should be OPTIONAL for those that want it. Even a very slight chance I'll lose almost 8 years worth of progress just isn't worth it. Especially considering that the potential payoff is being able to save myself the 2 seconds it takes to put in my password.

Not worth it.
  • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    While we're doing this. How bout making some Steam Trading Cards and Emotes, Badges for your games? I'd love to show a Level 5 Sto badge next to a Level 1 Foil Badge. There are already 2 games on Steam related to Star Trek that do this.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
    edited February 2020
    Got the email thing with the authentication code today... no longer asks for my password/username.

Just wondering if that means I'm linked or not. Still have access to all my characters, though no mention of STO on my arc account...

I do not and never have had the ARC client installed.
    Got the email thing with the authentication code today... no longer asks for my password/username.

Just wondering if that means I'm linked or not. Still have access to all my characters, though no mention of STO on my arc account...

I do not and never have had the ARC client installed.

Yes, you're linked.

Everyone that plays STO has an Arc account rather they have installed the Arc client or not. When you signed up for Star Trek Online originally (the user name and pass you currently use) that's your Arc account. The link means you no longer have to enter your password every time you play from Steam so yes.. you're all good to go. :smile:
  • cantrill1cantrill1 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    What about the people who dont have a steam account?, i stopped using steam about 6 years ago after they blocked my CC for no reason
    cantrill1 wrote: »
    What about the people who dont have a steam account?, i stopped using steam about 6 years ago after they blocked my CC for no reason

This change will not effect you in any way.
  • bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    There does seem to be a current problem though from pure steam accounts not having a Arc account and that is one time authentication passwords are not being sent for some reason. I have two steam accounts and my second account for STO is locked out due to this. but my main account is fine when I get the popup such as I did today because I reinstalled windows on my laptop. the email to my main account went through immediately however the other one to which does not have an arc account does not go through. I have no idea whats up but I wouldn't mind playing my other account at some point :)
    klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
    edited February 2020
    bcstar wrote: »
    There does seem to be a current problem though from pure steam accounts not having a Arc account and that is one time authentication passwords are not being sent for some reason. I have two steam accounts and my second account for STO is locked out due to this. but my main account is fine when I get the popup such as I did today because I reinstalled windows on my laptop. the email to my main account went through immediately however the other one to which does not have an arc account does not go through. I have no idea whats up but I wouldn't mind playing my other account at some point :)

There is no such thing as a Steam account that does not have an Arc account, it's not possible.

Everyone that plays Star Trek Online has an Arc account. Steam is optional, but when you signed up for STO you made an Arc account. In your case, you actually have two Arc accounts, and it sounds like there is some confusion which one Steam links to. Based on your situation, I would recommend this..

Your first account you said linked fine.. nothing left to be done here. All is good.. leave it as is.

Go into your Steam folder and find the Gamelauncher.exe for Star Trek Online and make a shortcut for that on your desktop. When you want to use your 2nd account, just run STO from the shortcut (no Steam) and manually put in the user name and password.

That should help you keep the 2 accounts separate. It sounds like the problem is that you have one steam account and 2 arc accounts so since you're already linked to one, you can't link your 2nd one to the same Steam account. If you login 'standalone' for the 2nd account though, you should be fine.

Hope it helps.
This discussion has been closed.