Install Arc
Options

Seems like Brent Spiner put the nail in Data's coffin

2»

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Might want to give Picard a watch. Door is open very, very, very wide for Spiner to return to the role without undoing anything.

But Data won't be coming back.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > You're also assuming that the SECOND something new comes out, we're going to get new stuff. How long did it take for Discovery stuff to really come out in STO? At least a year. While they may be looking at stuff as it comes out, we don't see the results for quite a while. Cryptic doesn't have access to anything beyond what CBS may give them. Most of the time they seem to be seeing a lot of stuff at about the same time we do.
    >
    > So honestly they've already done the best option, wait and see how it will impact the game, and decide if they just branch off based on how much work it would be to integrate the new stuff into the backstory.

I'll point out that that we already got something from Picard, the uniform.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    lordgyor wrote: »

We also got the Discovery uniforms well before any other Discovery content. And I think most of it was after Season 1 ended as the Devs were basically seeing these things at the same time we were. So honestly I'm anticipating a similar release schedule for Picard content as we got with Discovery content. Unless CBS got them a lot of behind the scenes stuff already so they have insider knowledge of what's coming. Which I doubt.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    I suspect Cryptic will decide to declare the game a alternate timeline, where the mars attack never happened
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

We also got the Discovery uniforms well before any other Discovery content. And I think most of it was after Season 1 ended as the Devs were basically seeing these things at the same time we were. So honestly I'm anticipating a similar release schedule for Picard content as we got with Discovery content. Unless CBS got them a lot of behind the scenes stuff already so they have insider knowledge of what's coming. Which I doubt.

Yeah that is why i am honesty expecting the first Picard stuff (apart from uniforms) to maybe start showing up ingame late April- Mid May. As Picard Season 1 finale premiers late March 2020
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    I suspect Cryptic will decide to declare the game a alternate timeline, where the mars attack never happened

Why?
    Mars was terraformed and the attack seemed to undo most of that with the atmosphere on fire. The mars zone they have shows Mars as unterraformed and it's 20 or so years after the attack, an the fires could have run their course. IE - Nothing so far from Picard would contradict what we have WRT Mars in game atm.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options

Why?
    Mars was terraformed and the attack seemed to undo most of that with the atmosphere on fire. The mars zone they have shows Mars as unterraformed and it's 20 or so years after the attack, an the fires could have run their course. IE - Nothing so far from Picard would contradict what we have WRT Mars in game atm.

The Utopia Planitia shipyards orbiting Mars were destroyed in the attack. The longer Picard is on the air, the more discrepancies between it and STO will be created. The Attack on Mars likely affected all artificial lifeforms not just androids. So the Doctor's quest for sapient rights for all holograms would be much harder than it was in the Path to 2409 since the main people against hologram rights was holonovel publishers and programmers.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @starkaos said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > The Utopia Planitia shipyards orbiting Mars were destroyed in the attack. The longer Picard is on the air, the more discrepancies between it and STO will be created. The Attack on Mars likely affected all artificial lifeforms not just androids. So the Doctor's quest for sapient rights for all holograms would be much harder than it was in the Path to 2409 since the main people against hologram rights was holonovel publishers and programmers.

I'm not sure Holograms are considered "Synths" given that we see they clearly aren't banned.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    > @starkaos said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > The Utopia Planitia shipyards orbiting Mars were destroyed in the attack. The longer Picard is on the air, the more discrepancies between it and STO will be created. The Attack on Mars likely affected all artificial lifeforms not just androids. So the Doctor's quest for sapient rights for all holograms would be much harder than it was in the Path to 2409 since the main people against hologram rights was holonovel publishers and programmers.

I'm not sure Holograms are considered "Synths" given that we see they clearly aren't banned.

Also a lot can happen in 10 years, it's possible that during the gap between 2399 and 2409 Utopia Planitia was rebuilt and the synth ban was repelled due what ever happened in season 1 of Picard.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »

Yeah that is why i am honesty expecting the first Picard stuff (apart from uniforms) to maybe start showing up ingame late April- Mid May. As Picard Season 1 finale premiers late March 2020
    I think insider info is why they are so emphatic about "we don't talk about upcoming content" now. I suspect the question is not if they know stuff we don't, but how long it will take them to find a way to use it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    stormstryke2stormstryke2 Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    PlutoTV app on my phone gave a notify that Picard episode 1 will run all day today on app channel 661 TV SCIFI. I caught the last 10 minutes plus a look inside episode. And it's restarting again. The guild will say showing Dead Zone too but apparently not. Just Picard all day.
  • Options
    stormstryke2stormstryke2 Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    As said about PlutoTV has first episode but I just saw a video CBS Access put on their Facebook a few days ago. Apparently PlutoTV is one of a few places you can watch the first episode on for free and said until 2/5 in the video. cbs.com as well as YouTube TV, Roku, and Amazon Prime as well.
  • Options
    For Canadians, Picard is on the CTV Sci-Fi channel which was formerly, Space: The Imagination Station and is part of their On Demand service.
  • Options
    section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Funny how everybody forgets that Data is an Android. His positronic matrix is recorded in the transporter matrix of the Enterprise D. Honestly he could be replicated as many times as someone wanted. After all his servos were not filled with gold pressed latinum. The Picard writers are awful and predictable. How is it that a secret Romulan faction hidden for thousands of years gets outed by Picard in 30 minutes? Couldn't they at least given us the suspense of a couple of episodes before finding out who was a part of it? CBS had the chance to create something worthy of the fans they so desire to charge $5.95 a month.
  • Options
    arnthebard wrote: »
    Funny how everybody forgets that Data is an Android. His positronic matrix is recorded in the transporter matrix of the Enterprise D. Honestly he could be replicated as many times as someone wanted. After all his servos were not filled with gold pressed latinum. The Picard writers are awful and predictable. How is it that a secret Romulan faction hidden for thousands of years gets outed by Picard in 30 minutes? Couldn't they at least given us the suspense of a couple of episodes before finding out who was a part of it? CBS had the chance to create something worthy of the fans they so desire to charge $5.95 a month.

As long as the Enterprise-E's transporters still has Data's pattern and enough material, then they can clone Data whenever they want. A Transporter is essentially a cloning device that disintegrates the original version. The transporter has been known to separate Kirk into his good self and evil self, turn Picard into a kid, fuse Tuvok and Neelix together, keep Scotty in suspended animation, travelling to a parallel universe, and clone Commander Riker. So the transporter has been shown to clone individuals and capable of granting immortality.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    The Picard writers are awful and predictable. How is it that a secret Romulan faction hidden for thousands of years gets outed by Picard in 30 minutes?

If you're referring to the Tal Shiar... Starfleet has prior experience with them. They're not a secret, and most likely the only group with the tech to infiltrate that deep into the Federation.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    The Picard writers are awful and predictable. How is it that a secret Romulan faction hidden for thousands of years gets outed by Picard in 30 minutes?

If you're referring to the Tal Shiar... Starfleet has prior experience with them. They're not a secret, and most likely the only group with the tech to infiltrate that deep into the Federation.

They're talking about the Zhat Vash, an organization hidden even within the Tal Shiar itself.
  • Options

They're talking about the Zhat Vash, an organization hidden even within the Tal Shiar itself.

Picard is obviously wearing Plot Armor.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

The Zhat Vash?

You're making the same mistake people kept making about Section 31 in DS9. Just because something is hyped up as being so hidden they're basically ghosts and yet the only people who don't know about them are people who have no reason to know about them it doesn't mean the hype is true.

An anti AI sub-group within, what is already a heavily repressive organisation, is hardly something that would appear on most peoples radar, Romulans or Federation.
    As established, Romulans already don't use AI so why would they look for a group that combats something they don't have? The Federation has no access to anything of the Tal Shiar.

However, if somebody has cause to know about an organisation, then they're no longer hidden. Even if Bashir (of Starfleet Medical) had not heard of S31, Tyler (of Starfleet Security) had heard rumours of them. With the Zhat Vash, Picard (Federation) hadn't heard of them but Laris and Zhaban (Tal Shiar) had heard rumours of them.

It only takes a few seconds thought to work this stuff out.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!