test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

OMEGA GRIND NOW A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME!!!

Comments

• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    I believe I got three traces only at 900, A sliver and three traces minimum 2300. The shards and fragments were a roll of the dice.

Was like that last year and all the years I've been playing it.

After some practice I've been averaging around 1900-2700. Takes a bit of time to get back in the groove.

ESD ground is not good for farming red, even with my graphics set all the way down. ESD space is good, as has been any other space I tried. Drozana ground is good for farming yellow.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    I believe I got three traces only at 900, A sliver and three traces minimum 2300. The shards and fragments were a roll of the dice.

After some practice I've been averaging around 1900-2700. Takes a bit of time to get back in the groove.

ESD ground is not good for farming red, even with my graphics set all the way down. ESD space is good, as has been any other space I tried. Drozana ground is good for farming yellow.

Wow, your score is that high, damn, i cant get over 800 on that game at all no matter how much i practice.
    Normally it isnt even that its lower.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

Wow, your score is that high, damn, i cant get over 800 on that game at all no matter how much i practice.

ummm how are you playing this game? using the arrow keys or mouse? 2700 is max points, if the game does not end on it's own and if no lag... 2k+ is the norm using mouse for me, perfect is not impossible. try using a mouse and use a wired one. make sure you can move it fluidly up and down... no jerky movements or jumping on screen.
  • Options
    I'm a little confused, are the emotes single character or account, I braced myself to grind all my characters for the emotes and yet when I went to select one I had just unlocked it was not available for the second character yet it was not unlocked for him ?

bug... previous years it was also the same... they patched it to make it account wide unlocks. waiting to see what they decide to do this year... either they will make it single char or make en account wide in future patch.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I didn't get over 550 last night. I believe my high has been in the mid 600s over the years. I use a mouse and inevitably when I move to a new row, even though I get there before they cross the threshold but the first does not register.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    I didn't get over 550 last night. I believe my high has been in the mid 600s over the years. I use a mouse and inevitably when I move to a new row, even though I get there before they cross the threshold but the first does not register.

hmmm I normally hover my cursor over the catcher part of the mini game... also you hear a beep each time you catch a particle...
    have you also tried using the arrow keys? I started out using arrow keys and thought of it as some mini game on a handheld. having a tactile response of using keys may be better for some folks.
  • Options
    wisecasperwisecasper Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Just means that there won't be any means throughout the year to upgrade that does not cost dilithium. The price of epic quality items will skyrocket out of the price range of all casual players and people will leave the game at a faster rate. I now have banks of mk ii stuff from weapon boxes I opened trying to get omnis that I will now have to sell off quick or scrap rather than casually upgrading them throughout the year. There is no way anyone will buy them at my profit for any price that involves a dilithium charge upgrade.

Gonna have to sell them cheap to all the people using bots to farm omegas so they can make their even greater profit selling epic items once all the regular users have run out.

Weapon boxes will become pointless as filled with stuff that most people can't do anything with decreasing the average value of what is in the lockboxes and a decrease in the sale of keys.
    Rj6YZR.gif
    @Wisecasper
    Non-faction Ship Bridge Collector and Junk Hauler with alt-itis

Contact in-game to add your fleet to a casual, friendly Armada
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    ummm how are you playing this game? using the arrow keys or mouse? 2700 is max points, if the game does not end on it's own and if no lag... 2k+ is the norm using mouse for me, perfect is not impossible. try using a mouse and use a wired one. make sure you can move it fluidly up and down... no jerky movements or jumping on screen.

Mouse or keyboard, I rarely get over 600. I also have to deal with the particles randomly jumping forward, which doesn't help things at all. Also, I managed to get all of the particles around both ESD and Vulcan space, and not have any more show up for at least 30 seconds. I've never had that happen before. (K7 ground seemed normal, though.)
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    swamarian wrote: »

Mouse or keyboard, I rarely get over 600. I also have to deal with the particles randomly jumping forward, which doesn't help things at all. Also, I managed to get all of the particles around both ESD and Vulcan space, and not have any more show up for at least 30 seconds. I've never had that happen before. (K7 ground seemed normal, though.)

It's only based on one day, but it felt like they reduced the number of particle spawns on the space maps. Drozena Station had only 3 yellows last night when in past years it had 8+ with frequent new spawns.

I still have unused Omegas from last year, but I was hoping to get started on crafting the new "quality" ones. At this rate it's going to take awhile to gather the mats.
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    The account binding of these is a big mistake. I imagine they are not fans of people possibly using software to play this event for them... rightfully so. But the shot gun solution destroys one of the biggest side benefits of the annual anniversary event. Market correction.

Sure some people would farm as many as they could and hold them hoping to get better pricing later. I guess perhaps Cryptic had/has a problem with that, I don't know. The fact is though this game doesn't have very many mechanics where the Space rich transfer large chunks of EC directly to new players. Sure there have always been markets for the smaller events... but the Omega event was always the main transfer.

Last year I probably gave other players somewhere around 3-4 billion EC buying their particles. I have been around 10 years and after many stints of market working... and just playing the game. I have amassed a pretty large war chest of EC and valuable items.... 10s of thousands of Lobi ect.

There are a handful of people in this game with tons of value... and this event was always a bit of a correction. Where new players (or people without a ton of EC anyway) could farm themselves a handful of particles, and sell some access and bank some EC.

I see this change only further pushing EC inflation. I won't be the only one that won't be selling off a few billion in lockbox ships, traits, weapon boxes ect ect to buy up peoples omegas.
  • Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    Regarding Omega Particle grind. IMO making the particles account bound rather than tradeable is a single most worst decision of 2020.
    If this logic is valid why not make EC or DIL untradeable as well? It is common knowledge that there are many more bots in those grind areas than the Omega event held yearly for a few days.

This is not flaming nor trolling but just respectably making my opinion known since for most perhaps is not a big deal. For me it was since I'm don't do bots nor use exploits or cheats but just a common player like the rest of you who used to ENJOY coming year after year and doing the grind. I did trade and make enough profit to get me by like others in the STO economy. Same as I do with EC and Dilithium/Zen conversion. I fail to understand the logic in making this fun game into a complete waste of time as others have expressed. Specially since there were no issues for 10 years. I guess it is so much easier to fix a so call "exploit" rather than to fix the many broken systems in the game currently.

AS others have expressed why bite the hand that feeds you? I'm concerned of the number of times these types of changes have occurred in STO and yet they could care less of whom is being affected...not bots but real players.
    Some might say...well it does not affect me and who cares? Same attitude went around when PvP was killed for good, Delta Rising we were told was the best expansion ever and players loved it, Foundry went extinct and now this update literally killed the Omega event.

IMO this is a sore eye for the 10 yr anniversary and hope that perhaps someday when there is better management of this MMO might be reconsidered or at least do a better job to retain their playerbase without alienating them time and time again.​​
  • Options
    tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    I guess I will throw my 2 cents in.

IMO changing the way Omega works from 3-81 Particle fragments for a free Omega Particle Tech Upgrade vs 2 Particle fragments + 2500-3000 Dilithium for a specific upgrade would have been okay IF they didn’t block the exchange at the same time.

This to me wasn’t about bots or load or anything like that as there are much easier (and creative) way to address farming bots (granted you cannot stop it all)

What this really was to me was a new Dilithium sink. They need people to burn it instead of hording. I will admit I am guilty of hording and when I heard the news that this was going to be happening I decided to pick up Omega before it became account bound even at the higher EC prices. Now I am sitting on 16000 Blue Omega Trace and grinding for the Red and Yellow but this is still OK as now I only have 2/3rds the grind.
    I guess the joke is on them as I was willing to shell out the 1.78Million Dilithium to get the Omega Particle Tech Upgrade, I can only do a fraction of that now.

So IMO Cryptic had the makings of a good Dilithium sink and the promptly shot themselves in the foot by making much more difficult to use said Dilithium sink by restricting the Omega on the exchange.
    That 1.78Million would have doubled or tripled as last year’s low prices were about 1/3 of what I bought mine for as people could have got Omega for cheaper but would have still required the additional Dilithium. I hope they will reconsider the Exchange as from my POV it is undoing what they intended to accomplish.
  • Options
    xxtakunixxxxtakunixx Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    (Trolling comments moderated out - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • Options
    As a FYI, try reducing your graphics down real low. I put mine all the way down and that seems to stop a lot of the jumping forward whenever you fill an Omege. They still jump, but only a bit.

Other than that, I don't know what to say.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    the original omega upgrade is still in the R&D and you do NOT need dil for it. Just the 2 new versions do require dil. Original Omega is 3 purple shards... the new versions require 2 plus dil. So you can still make the original Omega for zero dil.
  • Options
    commodoreobviouscommodoreobvious Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Has anyone tried the new upgrade items? The Rarity upgrade (+1 Tech Point, x8 Upgrade chance) doesn't seem to make sense to me, it barely changed the rarity percentage chance on the item I used it on and I still had to dump a bunch of other upgrades in to get the Tech Points high enough to roll for the rarity change.
  • Options
    Has anyone tried the new upgrade items? The Rarity upgrade (+1 Tech Point, x8 Upgrade chance) doesn't seem to make sense to me, it barely changed the rarity percentage chance on the item I used it on and I still had to dump a bunch of other upgrades in to get the Tech Points high enough to roll for the rarity change.

not me but I think it's bugged... should probably of been an accelerator and not a tech upgrade... 1 point tech upgrade makes no sense.
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User

The scoring goes...

0-890 - 1 Trace
    900-990 - 2 Traces
    1000-1390 - 3 Traces
    1400 -____ - 1 sliver, 1 trace.

Anything above this, I wouldn't know. I've got better thing to do than to play that game repeatedly checking scores.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User

My mouse moves quite fine, i am just not fast enough with mouse to collect more than 800 pts at a time and it will likely never improve. Minigames are something i am not good at and never will be!
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2020
    ltminns wrote: »

Yea you also got to notice the line that your moving up and down is also centered in it's spot, so if you move up but the particle is behind the center your wasting your time doing so... ...it certainly can be misleading even for those who do the best at times!
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    I've found that turning down ambience, turning graphics down all the way are two ways I do best. If I leave graphics up, the minigame lags. So I put up with minimal graphics during the anniversary.

I also make sure I'm looking at the whole game and not individual lines. With a whole lot of practice over the years I've done this and I can see the next trace and have almost stopped over-shooting the line I'm trying to get to.

Lag still plays a part sometimes. Usually on ground maps. Space maps don't seem to have much lag, if at all.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    You know, something that may work for you, especially those on the Fed side... I am not sure how many choices there are on the KDF side and I am not seeing all this jumping around people are talking about.... change instances.

Get into an instance with less players in it.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    It jumps every game since I started doing it. It jumps three times, once after each point threshold.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    homeboy2011homeboy2011 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    This has basically ruined the event for me. I usually would be logged in, happily doing the dailies, grinding some omegas and playing the market to buy others. If you plan well you can usually end up with enough to upgrade several pieces of gear throughout the year and still have ecs and some omegas left over. As it stands now, with dropping this on us a week before something that is a yearly, planned event, you have ruined my yearly plans for STO. Since it only happens once per year, players like me are hosed. There is no way I am going to sit somewhere and grind omegas 12 hours per day. I can only imagine that Cryptic may decide to make other items BoA without telling anyone again (Buh-bye lohlnuts). This was a really poor decision and I have no desire to play much at all. I may/may not grind the ship, not really decided as I have like 150 ships so what is one more.../sigh. Way to go Cryptic. Hooray for the Anniversary...
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I don't understand how it can be a complete waste of time. The Omega Upgrades can still be made for your Characters, now with additional choices of either loads of Tech Points or higher Quality chance alternatives.

If people were spending hours a day grinding Omegas for other people, we appreciated it but you can now take a break, save your wrists and get outside. This was done for your own health.

Actually, the reason for the Bind to Account is because of the new Omega Tech variants. You can't have people making Tech Upgrades better than Cryptic 'gives' out.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    homeboy2011homeboy2011 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    Again, I wasn't a huge seller. i was a big buyer. I have no desire to grind these things for the minuscule return. Would much rather buy them on the market and let others, who do not mind the grind, do it.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Again, I wasn't a huge seller. i was a big buyer. I have no desire to grind these things for the minuscule return. Would much rather buy them on the market and let others, who do not mind the grind, do it.

Some of those others were running bots 24x7 to farm tens of thousands of mats, loading the servers. Some of those other were probably also the gold farmers who spam us in chat and email.

You can now get Phoenix upgrades 365 days a year for dil, so you can always switch to them instead of buying omegas.
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Cryptic has neither confirmed nor denied that stopping bots is the reason behind this change - I actually highly doubt that's the case.

But let's say, for the sake of the argument, that this change was made to stop bots, there was no need to use a damned sledgehammer.
    This is an event that occurs once a year for, up until now, not even a full month. This is certainly not enough to stop the gold farmers nor will it improve the problems with lag and rubberbanding that people have been reporting for a very long time now.
    And actually, the lag seems to be even worse now than it was before the anniversary started.

Now, as I already said once, I've never sold any particle. I grinded what I needed and I either bought something more during the year - once, maybe twice in total - or did without until I could grind for them again so, for me personally, this won't change anything. I certainly will not lose any possible income, but I can understand those that were counting on this event to cash in some EC for their own personal use.

Phoenix may be available all the time now, but it still costs dilithium - whereas the basic Omega Upgrades does not - and it can't compare to the quality bonus of Omegas, except for the new technology-points only one of course.
    And before you start with stuff like "grinding for dilithium is easier and you can get more stuff while you do!" please consider that you don't speak for everyone and that what's "easier" for you might actually not be for others.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    I usually get from 1200 to 1500 when there is no lag.. sad about the account bind... i used to put the particles in the fleet bank so every one can use them when needed..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
This discussion has been closed.