test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Any new playable races coming down the line?

wraithmeisterwraithmeister Member Posts: 393 Arc User
I have like a dozen STO characters all maxed out (max level, all tier6 reps, etc), and using many STO races/species including Fed races, Romulan, Klingon races (Ks, gorn, orion), borg, Jem haddar, etc.

However, with all my chars maxed, I like to start up and progress new ones from time to time.
Is there any news on any new playable races STO team is planning to introduce, either standalone (just the race, no new content like borg, talaxian, etc,) or as part of a new STO season/release the way the Jem Haddar were done?

Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    do you have all 3 branches of all the factions? if you have 12 I know you don't. there are 9 in feddyland alone, 25th, tos and disco, add in the races and it gets a LOT more. have you played the C-store races, such as federation Klink?
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Yeah, whatever race you choose to make in AlienGen.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    do you have all 3 branches of all the factions? if you have 12 I know you don't. there are 9 in feddyland alone, 25th, tos and disco, add in the races and it gets a LOT more. have you played the C-store races, such as federation Klink?

Focused more on the major races plus a few smaller ones from each faction. (Human, Vulcan, Andorian, Ferengi, Romulan, Alien, Borg, Klingon, Orion, Gorn, Cardassian, Jem Haddar). Don't really have any desire for Trill, Betazed, Talaxian. I've had others for a while and deleted them, like the Caitan ( thought they were supposed to be good jumpers but did not seem to be able to jump much higher than normal characters). Also, I don't do 3 branches (engineering, science, and Tactical) for each race....I just spread those around...so I have 2 engineers, 4 science, and 6 tactical.

New characters are best with either new faction so you have different experience (different home base, different missions, etc) when leveling them up...like was done with the Jem Haddar, or how the Romulan, Klingon, and fed factions all have different environments for starting out, or even the TOS fed where you start in earlier century.

All the largest factions from the multiple Trek TV series have been done. Who knows...perhaps the new Picard series will introduce a new faction worthy of the STO treatment.

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    Please no more factions until they can support the factions we already have in-game. With that said DSC Andorians will come soon when they are ready.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    None that can be confirmed. The new Breen outfit makes it pretty easy to headcanon a breen though. I converted an abandoned low level alien-romulan character into a "Breen." I can say that it's been fun using the Breen ships again.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    n7belannan7belanna Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »
    Please no more factions until they can support the factions we already have in-game. With that said DSC Andorians will come soon when they are ready.

Agreed on the factions, but more races are always appreciated.
    More DSC races / choices in general would be great. Right now it's the only faction with only two choices and that's just boring. They did say they are working on DSC Andorians & Klingons, hopefully we'll also get Tellarites. Then there's the Kelpiens where we still don't know. Yes, CBS was clear after season 1 but with everything that happened in the season 2 finale...plus there are other interesting races like Saurians or Barzans in that era.

"If you're telling me that this ship can skip across the universe on a highway made of mushrooms, I kind of have to go on faith... Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous. Black alert." - Christopher Pike
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I only wish the cardassians got a faction instead of the jem'hadar.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    n7belanna wrote: »
    sthe91 wrote: »

Agreed on the factions, but more races are always appreciated.
    More DSC races / choices in general would be great. Right now it's the only faction with only two choices and that's just boring. They did say they are working on DSC Andorians & Klingons, hopefully we'll also get Tellarites. Then there's the Kelpiens where we still don't know. Yes, CBS was clear after season 1 but with everything that happened in the season 2 finale...plus there are other interesting races like Saurians or Barzans in that era.

Discovery era Feds have three...only one with two options (if you can call it that) are Jem Hadar...still think there should have at least been playable Vorta but when you need to cut corners for something else, you need to cut corners for something else.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    The Barzan would be cool.

I also want Suliban for the Romulan Republic.

And Risians for all Factions (or at least KDF and Feds)
  • Options
    xzeksxzeks Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    None that we know of.

The only likely playable faction to be added would be the Borg Cooperative, which Cryptic has expressed interest in doing, but there's no time frame for that.

I recall in the past they mentioned that only the Cardassians, Jem'Hadar, and Borg Cooperative, have enough fan draw to warrant making playable, and we have gotten the Cardassians and Jem'Hadar since then, leaving only the Borg Coop left.

the only problem with that is that since the liberated borg are given to lifetime subs, allowing non-lifers to play them (even if only in a new faction) would cause a riot by many who bought the lifetime sub mainly for said borg.

as for races and factions... i would like to see some of the existing races be playable in other factions now (like, why can't a reman join starfleet, as an example.. i know they can align with starfleet but actually playing as starfleet would give different missions.)

as for new races.. the xindi, voth, maybe after recent events with the "beneath the skin" mission we could even get the elachi (spoilers for anyone who hasn't played the mission yet, but at the end we see some elachi revert a little and regain speech.. maybe we can play one of them). hell, theres even a race (non-canon) from an old game (starfleet command) called the Hydran that could be interesting to have..
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »

Yeah...still wish Romulans got Suliban...shame since they're literally in Romulan space.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    A new playable race gives those so inclined an excuse to create another 8k Dilithium Refiner or RP with something different.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    robert#4620 robert Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    None that we know of.

The only likely playable faction to be added would be the Borg Cooperative, which Cryptic has expressed interest in doing, but there's no time frame for that.

I recall in the past they mentioned that only the Cardassians, Jem'Hadar, and Borg Cooperative, have enough fan draw to warrant making playable, and we have gotten the Cardassians and Jem'Hadar since then, leaving only the Borg Coop left.

I'm open to the idea of having the Xidi as a playable faction. They have like 4 different races to make a Squad with; if you exclude the Aquatics. Heck maybe they can bring back the Avian speices of the Xidi Race.

Plus we'll have like 5 different types of ship designs to play with.
  • Options
    robert#4620 robert Member Posts: 129 Arc User

The Xindi joined the Federation over 100 years prior to STO. If they ever added playable Xindi they would just be more races in the Fed faction, and not a faction of their own.

I'm sure the dev-team could find a way to write a reasonable lore reason as to why the Xidi could be a seperate playable faction if they decide to explore this idea.
  • Options
    Don't forget Tribbles. As soon as STO figures out how to animate tribbles holding ground weapons, I'm all in for playable Tribble race! Speaking of which...if you have CBS streaming, one of the trek short takes is a 15 minute episode featuring tribbles in plot.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    I would prefer a new career.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    xzeks wrote: »
    the only problem with that is that since the liberated borg are given to lifetime subs, allowing non-lifers to play them (even if only in a new faction) would cause a riot by many who bought the lifetime sub mainly for said borg.
    Ehh, I don;t see it as too much of a problem. All they would have to do is the same thing they did with the Jem'Hadar, where they have a "normal" version for the normal players, and have the lifetime version be an "advanced" version with better stats.

the Jem'Hadar weren't ever playable before the playable dominion were added. and the "advanced" Jem'Hadar aren't for lifetime subs. those are just bought from the c store.. its totally different spending, what, $6-$10 worth of zen for a race and spending $200-$300 for a sub with an exclusive race.

the only way i can see them making a playable borg faction would be to replace the exclusivity of the race with another highly desired race (and, obviously, they would have to let lifetime members keep the ability to play borg on the current factions. though they may have that ability purchasable off the c store for others if they're doing a full replace). the three races i could see as potential exclusive to lifetime subs in the event they had to replace borg would be Changling (though im not sure that would be as well accepted as borg so may need a second race or exclusive borg traits tacked on to make it acceptable), Photonic (so getting to play as a hologram), or (the most likely) Android.

I'm open to the idea of having the Xidi as a playable faction. They have like 4 different races to make a Squad with; if you exclude the Aquatics. Heck maybe they can bring back the Avian speices of the Xidi Race.

Plus we'll have like 5 different types of ship designs to play with.
    The Xindi joined the Federation over 100 years prior to STO. If they ever added playable Xindi they would just be more races in the Fed faction, and not a faction of their own.

well, they already have Klingons able to join the federation even though they are of the klingon empire. theres no reason to not allow other races to join other factions. and in that case, the Xindi could be released for both feds and klings, though there is no reason they couldn't get at least a faction of their own. i mean, they have no issues using time travel to make a faction (or sub faction, at least) usable. and given that the Xindi were used in the temporal cold war, they could have them come from a time before the xindi joined the federation and then let them choose which faction to align with.

I would like that as well, but im not overly sure what kind of career that would be that the basics and specializations don't already cover..
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Ehh, I don;t see it as too much of a problem. All they would have to do is the same thing they did with the Jem'Hadar, where they have a "normal" version for the normal players, and have the lifetime version be an "advanced" version with better stats.
    yeah just leave it so the current Borg are LTS only and new ones are less good. And also let LTS play as Borg Aliens :p
    lianthelia wrote: »
    lordgyor wrote: »

Yeah...still wish Romulans got Suliban...shame since they're literally in Romulan space.
    A lot of people think the devs were at one point considering adding Suliban. Heck the story with the Suliban in STO kinda suggests they used to be affiliated with the RSE. As-is the official reasons involve the story lines. All of the races need to have a story reason to be there. The Jem'hadar player character are all cloned warriors acting as Odo's personal troops. Romulan Republic characters are former members of the RSE military.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    steinbergsteinberg Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    Hmm i would like to see a few more options in the character creator for aliens rather than races.Multiple arms and legs like the Tzenkethi or Tholians.The animations already exist,not sure how easy it would be to port to player characters.Few more head type -multiple eyes or cyclops etc.Maybe robot parts of some kind.Be nice. but maybe to difficult.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    I wish they would release Vorta, or at least put "alien" as an option for the Dominion. Trying to get into the mindset of the Trek answer to "roger!roger!" droids is disgusting and boring at the same time, especially with the horneytoad looks those meat-droids have.

The sheer number of people running the things in vacc suits (often because they are the only way to get Gamma Recruit perks for more playable characters) instead of the very good armor set they come with (which sadly does not come with an opaque helmet option), especially with the "fem'hadar" adding an additional "up yours" at the concept of a Jem'Hadar only faction, should be a clue to the devs that a lot of people want other Dominion options. There are also a lot of faux-Vorta out there already, though it would be much better to be able to play them in their canon faction. It is probably as much of a lost cause as the T6 Nova though.

Other than possibly finishing the Dominion by adding Vorta, I agree that it would be better to add more parts options to the "alien" category (along with it being available to ALL the factions) than it would be to add some other very narrow niche "faction" like the J'H.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I would like that as well, but im not overly sure what kind of career that would be that the basics and specializations don't already cover..

A career with section 31!
    A career as Starfleet diplomat/ambassador (but of course, handling negotiations like Korben Dallas in the 5th Element).
  • Options

A career as Starfleet diplomat/ambassador (but of course, handling negotiations like Korben Dallas in the 5th Element).
    Just use intel spec...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited January 2020

like markhawkman said, section 31 is just the intel specialization. as for a diplomat/ambassador.. thats under the duty officers stuff. it wouldn't make sense for a diplomat/ambassador (at least a non-klingon i suppose) to use weapons and go on missions that involve shooting people a lot so it wouldn't really work unless it had its own storyline and "weapon" type equipment.. and then you'd have issues with grouping since, again, a diplomat wouldn't really be involved with much of the fights (again, unless you're klingon)
    I wish they would release Vorta, or at least put "alien" as an option for the Dominion. Trying to get into the mindset of the Trek answer to "roger!roger!" droids is disgusting and boring at the same time, especially with the horneytoad looks those meat-droids have.

The sheer number of people running the things in vacc suits (often because they are the only way to get Gamma Recruit perks for more playable characters) instead of the very good armor set they come with (which sadly does not come with an opaque helmet option), especially with the "fem'hadar" adding an additional "up yours" at the concept of a Jem'Hadar only faction, should be a clue to the devs that a lot of people want other Dominion options. There are also a lot of faux-Vorta out there already, though it would be much better to be able to play them in their canon faction. It is probably as much of a lost cause as the T6 Nova though.

Other than possibly finishing the Dominion by adding Vorta, I agree that it would be better to add more parts options to the "alien" category (along with it being available to ALL the factions) than it would be to add some other very narrow niche "faction" like the J'H.

things about the vorta which make them not possible to be playable.. 1) they weren't combatants.. like.. at all.. thats what the jem'hadar were for. (2) vorta mainly only commanded the First, the First would then pass orders along to those under him. given that the playable dominion rankings don't let us promote boffs to first, there would be little interaction between the pc and the boffs. (3) the dominion storyline wouldn't make sense for a vorta to be involved in, especially the first several missions. (4) vorta were mostly closes, so easily replaced if captured or killed. (this may not make much of a difference in gameplay but for lore issues it would be bad)..

like wise, the reason theres no "aliens" options for the doms is because the founders only really used jem'hadar as their fighting force.

not sure what you mean by "fem'hadar" but if you're thinking female jem'hadar.. there are no female jem'hadar..
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    Please don't derail the thread. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    If any new races are on the way the earliest WE will probably know about it is a month or two before they go live, and the latest we would know is a week before they go live. As far as I know leaks and data mining don't really happen with STO anymore, so we won't know until Cryptic wants us to know.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Androids and Holograms. :)
  • Options
    things about the vorta which make them not possible to be playable.. 1) they weren't combatants.. like.. at all.. thats what the jem'hadar were for. (2) vorta mainly only commanded the First, the First would then pass orders along to those under him. given that the playable dominion rankings don't let us promote boffs to first, there would be little interaction between the pc and the boffs. (3) the dominion storyline wouldn't make sense for a vorta to be involved in, especially the first several missions. (4) vorta were mostly closes, so easily replaced if captured or killed. (this may not make much of a difference in gameplay but for lore issues it would be bad)..
    Well, Vorta are people. The question is if they DO that sort of thing, not if they CAN. As Loriss demonstrated, Vorta are quite capable of wielding energy weapons. Also we DID actually see a Vorta(Eris) do field recon work, to include combat.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
This discussion has been closed.