test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Longer skirt options...

lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
10 years, still no long skirts and almost no dresses at all. Would be nice to see a few!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,514 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    I wonder if it's an engine limitation with having the fabric move differently than the legs? With pants the uniform follows the exact same paths.

If not, more choices is always a good thing.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,265 Arc User
    I wonder if it's an engine limitation with having the fabric move differently than the legs? With pants the uniform follows the exact same paths.

If not, more choices is always a good thing.

I suspect it's an engine limitation as skirts (even the loose ones) don't really have any flow to them and we have only above the knee or full length (on robes) hems in game I can't really remember a single item that a hem below the knee and it flowed properly.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Depends on what you mean by "long."
  • Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    (Derailing, inappropriate comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

Probably a clipping issue. Pants are easy: you can just make the legs underneath 100& transparent -- or the part covered by the pants. (That's a common trick in Second Life, for instance, where you just wear an alpha-layer first.) Can't do that with skirts, though (as you need to be able to see your legs, and, since they're loose, up your skirt, really -- eew). Not even sure Cryptic toons are rigged mesh. That would help. But clipping almost almost becomes an issue then what you're wearing is very long (like a gown in SL), even with rigged mesh, as there are only so many 'bones' to connect to. Fitted mesh would be even better; but I have the nagging suspicion that STO avatars use pretty old technology.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Probably a clipping issue. Pants are easy: you can just make the legs underneath 100& transparent -- or the part covered by the pants. (That's a common trick in Second Life, for instance, where you just wear an alpha-layer first.) Can't do that with skirts, though (as you need to be able to see your legs, and, since they're loose, up your skirt, really -- eew). Not even sure Cryptic toons are rigged mesh. That would help. But clipping almost almost becomes an issue then what you're wearing is very long (like a gown in SL), even with rigged mesh, as there are only so many 'bones' to connect to. Fitted mesh would be even better; but I have the nagging suspicion that STO avatars use pretty old technology.

Beat me to it.

Longer skirts, dresses and robes can be a headache to play with in my own 3D art stuff. Hence why "Goddesses" characters are seen wearing short skirts or slacks.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    10 years, still no long skirts and almost no dresses at all. Would be nice to see a few!

Bajoran/Tholian robes (lower) can emulate the "long and flowing" motif for off-duty uniforms.

Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

Beat me to it.

Longer skirts, dresses and robes can be a headache to play with in my own 3D art stuff. Hence why "Goddesses" characters are seen wearing short skirts or slacks.

*nods*

Here, have a (Winter) cookie!

https://i.imgur.com/3sn7gXg.jpg3sn7gXg.jpg
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User

Bajoran/Tholian robes (lower) can emulate the "long and flowing" motif for off-duty uniforms.

there are also long talaxian skirts
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,511 Arc User

there are also long talaxian skirts

The Bajoran ones are actually built kind of like wide legged palazzo pants under a thigh-length tunic I think (it has been a while since I played the Bajor stuff so I may be mixing it up with something else) so invisible legs would not be a problem since you would never see past the cloth from any angle. It makes the "skirts" move weirdly and probably would not work for anything that is not supposed to have a heavy layered look. It actually clips a lot but since the clips are blended with similar layers it is not as noticeable and sort of looks like long robes.

The angled Romulan civilian skirt is probably the best one in the game, it could be used as a kind of model for others if the devs wanted to.
  • Options

Well I don't mean like full length down to your footwear skirts...but something a bit longer would be nice. Maybe above the knee or a bit below it. Right now most are virtually the same short length.

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Kilts, Skants
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    (Derailing, inappropriate comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    Kilts, Skants

Well Kilts are a traditional male garment :p and the skants really aren't any longer if I recall.

Most skirts in game are around a very similar length and most of them are rather plain as well
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    The problem with skirts is the animation. They are glued to the legs so while running, so if you watch closely the longer skirts will tear apart as the legs move. The shortest skirts avoid this easier by virtue of the fact that the legs aren't moving very far closer to the hips, but longer knee length skirts would be impossible to hide that on. I don't know if they can do loose skirts that move more realistically, but tight skirts are not going to look good at all.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
  • Options

Well I don't mean like full length down to your footwear skirts...but something a bit longer would be nice. Maybe above the knee or a bit below it. Right now most are virtually the same short length.
    There are two talaxian skirts that are knee-length. The ithenite and colony skirts are a bit shorter than that. The na'kuhl skirt is ankle-length, but it's actually a belt attachment.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,511 Arc User
    The angled skirts help the illusion by providing a long part attached to the thigh on one side and a shorter one on the other. There is less of that shearing because the hem crosses at a higher point but the long side suggests the skirt is longer overall.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
    The problem with skirts is the animation. They are glued to the legs so while running, so if you watch closely the longer skirts will tear apart as the legs move. The shortest skirts avoid this easier by virtue of the fact that the legs aren't moving very far closer to the hips, but longer knee length skirts would be impossible to hide that on. I don't know if they can do loose skirts that move more realistically, but tight skirts are not going to look good at all.

The same thing happens with some outfits in Runescape.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,265 Arc User

The funny thing about animation is that ankle length skirts would probably be easier to animated then knee length or slightly above the knee, due the hem length would allow to the developers to make the the skirt essentially a closed cone.

anything shorter would show your legs and you can't really just make it a closed cone, since it would look wierd and essentially looks like your character wears a trash bag.

The Skants, kilts and skirts in-game work because they're fairly stiff (the talaxian is so stiff it looks like a cone attached to the hips of the character).
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User

Simple answer, sex appeal sells

or

Cryptic hasn't caught up to the times.

Truth be told, all jesting aside, the costume options is due for an extreme overhaul - very little has been done to improve character creation options. Everything from body style types to outfits need a serious overhaul.

When they do play with those options, they tend to mess things up for the worst. It is almost feels like the staff do not know the game's coding and just one or two do, but there is too much to work on to even try.

For example: They horribly "F" up the "girly" and the "stern" stances - If you use the girly stance, your character runs very funny and weird. The Stern stance use to be bad@$$, now your character stands like he or she has a corn in a cobb stuck up their TRIBBLE$.

The only way we will see long skirts and dresses is if they introduce new costume pieces or sets - something along the lines of off duty clothing, and last I remember, costumes are not great sellers on the zen store.

StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    Wouldn't mind seeing more lengths and styles, personally.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    I would only support more "fugly" long skirts in this game, if I can wear my classic Gamesters of Triskelion beachwear outside of Risa too?
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,474 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,333 Community Moderator
    Let's keep it clean, folks, not everyone appreciates blue humor. And let's not let a failed attempt at joking derail a thread either. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.