test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Queen Elizabeth II set to retire within 18 months

lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
Had to happen eventually. Somehow I doubt charles will be anywhere near as popular as she is as king

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/queen-elizabeth-ii-reportedly-retiring-212332606.html

Comments

• Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    I think if I started work back in 1952 I'd probable want to retire in my 90's as well. That is indeed a long time and a lifetime of service.

Her picture has adorned not only our currency but government offices as well up here in Canada since before I was born.

May she LLAP.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @protoneous said:
    > I think if I started work back in 1952 I'd probable want to retire in my 90's as well. That is indeed a long time and a lifetime of service.
    >
    > Her picture has adorned not only our currency but government offices as well up here in Canada since before I was born.
    >
    > May she LLAP.

Oh man , does this mean our money is going soon start to have Prince Charles face on them ?
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    Oh man , does this mean our money is going soon start to have Prince Charles face on them ?
    lol I never thought about that...
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Ok but if she does retire at some point, I call dibs on the corgis.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    the corgis will probably be dead before she is at this rate...​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User

True, but I assume they respawn.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    hawku001x wrote: »
    True, but I assume they respawn.
    I heard they replicate like tribbles. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Bypass Charles and let her grandson take over.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    When you think Okeg is bad for keeping us five years in a single one to prolong his presidency, remember that there's still a woman called Elizabeth aiming to be queen for a thousand years.

Or perhaps not a thousand years, I guess she'll just try to succeed Okeg...
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    I had thought she cannot "retire" ... only abdicate her throne to someone else.

Well, I guess she could retire from her public duties and appoint a regent if she doesn't want to abdicate altogether.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Or become a republic and finally grow up as a country.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    > Or become a republic and finally grow up as a country.

At least who we vote for actually gets elected.
  • Options
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    > @artan42 said:

Only sort of. We're still stuck with the archaic first past the post system which is only slightly more democratic than the electoral college which means that a party can get into power even if the majority of votes were against said party.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Only sort of. We're still stuck with the archaic first past the post system which is only slightly more democratic than the electoral college which means that a party can get into power even if the majority of votes were against said party.

Democracy is the best worst system of government eh?

But I would take our system over America's even though I am all for abolishing the monarchy.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Somehow I doubt charles will be anywhere near as popular as she is as king

I have to disagree. She is the least popular King in the entire history of Britain.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    Keep the monarchy in the UK, it's tradition and some traditions cannot be thrown away.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      reyan01 wrote: »
      > @artan42 said:
      > (Quote)
      >
      > Only sort of. We're still stuck with the archaic first past the post system which is only slightly more democratic than the electoral college which means that a party can get into power even if the majority of votes were against said party.

Democracy is the best worst system of government eh?

But I would take our system over America's even though I am all for abolishing the monarchy.

Whilst I am no real fan of the Monarchy, I will acknowledge that abolishing it would be a VERY bad move. I mean, they don't do any harm in political terms as they have no real power, and the income they generate via tourism is considerable.

Abolishment would only dismantle their role in the political system (along with the theocratic and hereditary seat wasters in the upper house) there's no reason at all to remove them from their role as state assets.

Their function as the head of state is unnecessary as they're a rubber stamp for the government with no ability to refuse. We wouldn't lose anything by scrapping the role of HoS in its entirety.
      Keep the monarchy in the UK, it's tradition and some traditions cannot be thrown away.

Tradition is very close to the absolute worst reason to ever do anything relating to politics, defence, education etc.
      Somehow I doubt charles will be anywhere near as popular as she is as king

I have to disagree. She is the least popular King in the entire history of Britain.

That would be Anne of Orange.

#TASforSTO

• Options
      azrael605 wrote: »
      > @nrobbiec said:
      > > @artan42 said:
      > > (Quote)
      > >
      > > Only sort of. We're still stuck with the archaic first past the post system which is only slightly more democratic than the electoral college which means that a party can get into power even if the majority of votes were against said party.
      >
      > Democracy is the best worst system of government eh?
      >
      > But I would take our system over America's even though I am all for abolishing the monarchy.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the other forms." Rbert Heinlein.

Seriously though, the US is not a democracy, it is a Democratic Republic, which is a distict and different form of government.

A democratic republic is a democracy it's literally what the first word means. I get that it's a cute saying USAians like but it's still wrong. There do exist other forms of republics (communist ones like PRK or theocratic ones like Iran) but democratic republics are, by definition, democracies.

#TASforSTO

• Options
      thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
      azrael605 wrote: »
      > @artan42 said:
      > (Quote)
      >
      > A democratic republic is a democracy it's literally what the first word means. I get that it's a cute saying USAians like but it's still wrong. There do exist other forms of republics (communist ones like PRK or theocratic ones like Iran) but democratic republics are, by definition, democracies.

The dictionary, specifically the British made Oxford English Dictionary says otherwise. In other words, Americans didn't make this definition, Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, they made the definitions long before any of us were born.

Just so we're all on the same page, please post a link to the definition you are referencing that says a democratic republic is not a form of democracy.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    • Options
      starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      artan42 wrote: »
      > artan42 said:

Only sort of. We're still stuck with the archaic first past the post system which is only slightly more democratic than the electoral college which means that a party can get into power even if the majority of votes were against said party.

The advantage of the Electoral College is that smaller states have more of a say in who becomes President compared to if it was a popular vote. Presidential Candidates have to campaign in the smaller states and show some concern for their issues even if they have no intent on doing what they promised and not just focus on large population states like New York and California. I would love to have the Electoral College or something better since my country doesn't allow voting for the Prime Minister or Premier unless you belong to their area. It either results in voting for someone you don't like because you like or dislike the leader of a political party or voting for someone you like and not care about your vote going towards the leader of a party that you dislike. Far too often, people vote for the party and not who they think is the best person to represent them.

Queen Elizabeth has certainly been a constant for most of the people on this world. It will be weird when she is no longer around.
    • Options
      jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
      starkaos wrote: »
      The advantage of the Electoral College is that smaller states have more of a say in who becomes President compared to if it was a popular vote.
      This is a statement that made a sort of twisted sense, once - back when Presidents were elected by state legislatures, not by the people directly. In the modern era, what it means is that the votes of people located in areas where they are thinly spread are valued more highly than the votes of people in more urban areas; as the popular comparison has it, one vote in Wisconsin equals three votes in California simply because California has more dense urban area and much, much more area overall to contain people. It privileges the "votes" of empty fields over the votes of actual human beings.

Remember that the only reason the Electoral College exists is because even during the earliest days of the United States (back when it was officially "the United States in Congress Assembled", not "the United States of America"), there was a push to abolish the practice of slavery. The southern states, whose economies depended upon it, were concerned that the northern states would forbid the practice in their new nation, so they forced a compromise during the drafting of the Constitution wherein their less-populous states would have "equal voice" with the more heavily populated northern states in the selection of a President. This led to a sociopolitical imbalance that went unaddressed until it finally broke out into open warfare. (There are complex reasons why even that war didn't end the issues, but we won't go into that here - not only is it well off the topic, it would also take more time than I have available to write up. There are a number of books on the topic, if you're interested.)

Essentially, the Electoral College is like the human coccyx - a vestigial remnant of an earlier stage in our evolution, no longer required but hanging in there anyway. Perhaps one day it will grow sufficiently unpopular that 2/3 of Congress and 3/4 of the state legislatures will vote to amend it out; it's happened before with a number of issues, including female suffrage, universal suffrage, presidential term limits, and direct voting for the presidency. Until then, we have to just deal with it.
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    This discussion has been closed.