test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online Premier: Spock's Jellyfish Ship.

13»

Comments

• Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    lasonio wrote: »
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    miirik wrote: »
    ENJOY YOUR PROMO SHIP!

Those of us who can actually GET IT. >_>;

All the different flavors, and you continue to be salty. Jealousy or bitterness are stinky, stinky colognes. You too can own one, or even sell for the high prices, by putting in the work to gain the funds, or by flashing the credit card to get the boxes. Or you can hope/beg/flail for a handout. It's not out of your reach unless you CHOOSE to pull a Picard and "make it so." In which case, that's on you. Being a billionaire isn't immoral, despite what crazy-eyed politicians keep telling you.

Sigh when people compare video games to real life. What a shame... what a shame.

Much of what's in real life can be applied to video/computer games. Especially when people interact with various markets and other players.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    This is going to end well. :unamused:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    It is mostly forgotten now, but back in the old days, before F2P, when Cryptic still belonged to Atari, the Galaxy-X was actually a very, very special ship. The only way to get it was to recruit 5 other players into STO - you got the ship when they each had subscribed for a month (or more).
    I believe lots of people then, rather than recruiting players ("I don't have that many friends", "No friend would invite someone into a subpar game as STO" or whatever else the explanations were) people simply created throw-away accounts to qualify to get the ship.
    I think that must have been the first sign for Cryptic that people would be willing to pay a lot of extra for a vanity ship. (Back then, we didn't have C-Store ships yet - we had alternate C-Store ship costumes, and they were a lot cheaper than a full ship. I really don't know if they were profitable... Nowadays, these specific costumes are unlocked by fleet retrofits for the ships... Edit: I might be misrembering and the Tier 5 Retrofits of the Tier 4 Hero ships were actually the first C-Store ships and existed already when the Galaxy X Recruitment Promo Referral Program was launched.)

Was it a friend reward? I don't remember that, but you're probably right. I only remember the BOFF with photonic officer 3 was a friend reward. The Gal X has been in the Cstore for a long time, but if it was a friend reward then they would have put it in after F2P. A quick check, and the wiki agrees with you.

I don't remember when they started putting paid ships in the game either. Fairly sure one of the first I bought was the Excelsior, though, which was definitely not a part of the game originally.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    This is going to end well. :unamused:

Haha.. you called it! :smiley:

Don't worry, I am not going to fan the flames on this one.. clearly not worth it.

Back on Topic..

While the Jellyfish isn't something that I personally want.. I really think they did a great job on it. It looks fantastic, the department that builds these ships and does the graphics for them really does a great job.

I'm not going for it because it's a Science Oriented ship and I have little use for that.. but if I had a Science Character I would likely be all over this ship. Really well done!
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    Wonder how much is running in the exchange. Agreed should had been the anniversary or winter event ship instead. So tiny to be in a R&D pack.​​
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    Well them putting it into the R & D pack might have had to do with the wishes of CBS as well. I personally am not interested in the ship, unless I was a ship collector. Since the Kelvin Connie was in the Kelvin Lockbox, The TOS Constitution is in the R & D pack, etc. Fits the precedent that has been set for now unless they change it again.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well it looks like for the Roadmap, significant items on it are the release of R&D Promotion Ships. No matter, I have three unopened T6 Promotion Ship Packs. One of these days I have to pull the trigger on them.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    If it can be used by KDF I would be interested in it for one of my Orions since it has the Orion-tech spinning engines and it is a science ship which is hard to come by for Orions, but I do not have any lockbox ships except for the Lukari saucer (which is a very inexpensive T5) that I got to use as a costume for the Ho'kuun and I do not have the funds to get one by gambling or buying tons of keys and playing the market (if I wanted to play faux Wall Street I would still be doing Second Life as my main game), especially one that is probably going to be popular and therefore exceptionally expensive, so I will probably never get one.

If they ever do the Intruder I hope they bring it out as a free event ship or a zen store ship.

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Well it looks like for the Roadmap, significant items on it are the release of R&D Promotion Ships. No matter, I have three unopened T6 Promotion Ship Packs. One of these days I have to pull the trigger on them.

Could always import a character a few times to Tribble to test drive the promo ships. The promo boxes certainly need a revamp since there is not much compensation for losing. At least with the Lockboxes, there are other interesting prizes to win instead of just the grand prize.
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

Could always import a character a few times to Tribble to test drive the promo ships. The promo boxes certainly need a revamp since there is not much compensation for losing. At least with the Lockboxes, there are other interesting prizes to win instead of just the grand prize.

I've always wondered if I ever took the leap over to Tribble & could play with all the toys & have all my fantasy builds why waste my time with Holodeck & suffer?
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

I've always wondered if I ever took the leap over to Tribble & could play with all the toys & have all my fantasy builds why waste my time with Holodeck & suffer?

The possibility of Cryptic erasing all of the characters on Tribble whenever they want.
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    I actually really liked the ship, and feel it atleast makes more sense as a promo ship than the Franklin did, but still... I feel like this would have been better off as part of a lockbox lobi duo with the altamid ship. I would certainly have grabbed one then but now? I only own 2 promo ships, partially because of the expense in obtaining one, combined with a lack of interest for the price, and this is another ship I would probably never buy for the typical promo ship price.

It's cool. But it's not 1.2 to 1.5 billion cool.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

If you don't want to do any TFOs or other group content, that might be an option, really. Occasionally, your characters might get wiped- it doesn't happen all that often, so its more that you should still have a backup with some basic decent equipment and gear so its fun to start over again that you can copy over from Live.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    The Jellyfish is a tiny ship. I hope Cryptic's not made it huge. It's in the Runabout ballpark of sizes. It's a single-seater after all.
    startrek2b.jpg

Obviously, R&D Promo packs are making the most profit so all the 'best' ships will be crammed in them. Hard to think that lockboxes aren't enough anymore. What's that make the C-store? The equivalent of Wal-Mart?
  • Options
    vongravenvongraven Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    > @duasyn said:
    > The Jellyfish is a tiny ship. I hope Cryptic's not made it huge.

I‘ve already got mine (mostly for the looks tbh) and yes, it’s very tiny. But it’s still a very cute little ship, I enjoy it so far.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    duasyn wrote: »
    The Jellyfish is a tiny ship. I hope Cryptic's not made it huge. It's in the Runabout ballpark of sizes. It's a single-seater after all.
    startrek2b.jpg

Obviously, R&D Promo packs are making the most profit so all the 'best' ships will be crammed in them. Hard to think that lockboxes aren't enough anymore. What's that make the C-store? The equivalent of Wal-Mart?

Thomas said during their livestream that they increased the size of the jellyfish to about 110 meters. So it's more than double the original size.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »
    Well them putting it into the R & D pack might have had to do with the wishes of CBS as well. I personally am not interested in the ship, unless I was a ship collector. Since the Kelvin Connie was in the Kelvin Lockbox, The TOS Constitution is in the R & D pack, etc. Fits the precedent that has been set for now unless they change it again.

amazing how, apart from a few exceptions, all 23rd century stuff is a no no for c store, but everything else...tng and onward is OK.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    szim wrote: »
    duasyn wrote: »
    startrek2b.jpg

Thomas said during their livestream that they increased the size of the jellyfish to about 110 meters. So it's more than double the original size.

That makes it almost exactly the length of the Defiant-class (according to the MSD in "Starship Down" at least), which would still be a bit tight for a science scout considering only the ball and the "hub" of the tail are fixed and would be accessible without transporters, but probably doable. It would mean the doffs are probably external agents or something with only the five "space" doffs (along with the boffs and captain) actually on board from an RP standpoint, (like the T'Pau class if the STO version is the same size as the DSC version). Overall it looks like a nice little ship.

I just ran a quick calculation, if the whole ship is 110 meters long that would make the main ball about twenty five meters in diameter, which is not bad for a small crew.
    Post edited by phoenixc#0738 on
This discussion has been closed.