test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Kelvin Star Trek 4 has a new writer/director

khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
Your pain runs deep.
Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.

Comments

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,511 Arc User
    From what I have read about Hawley he seems to be a very odd choice since he hasn't written any science fiction and the closest he gets to it, "Lucy in the Sky", was a flop. Maybe they thought he would be a good counterbalance to Abrams (who is locked into all Kelvin projects by contract) or something since he has a very character-oriented style, but it still seems weird that they would pick him for it.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,474 Arc User
    Engage.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    no Helmsworth? so that storyline that was initially reported is dead huh?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    tigeraries wrote: »
    no Helmsworth? so that storyline that was initially reported is dead huh?

It is probably just as well, since the original storyline from four would have been impossible according to how time is supposed to work in the Kelvin line. When 2009 came out they made a big deal about how the "go back and fix it" stuff doesn't work there, it just causes another branch if you can go back at all (any kind of time travel was supposed to be very much harder to do than it is in prime).

The Kelvin stuff is shaky enough with the fans as it is, ignoring their original statements would only serve to further annoy the fanbase.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I wouldn't care about that at all, but no Chris Hemsworth is a huge letdown for sure. The Kelvin and Kirk Sr. would have been something I would have liked to see. pig-12.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I wouldn't care about that at all, but no Chris Hemsworth is a huge letdown for sure. The Kelvin and Kirk Sr. would have been something I would have liked to see. pig-12.gif​​

There are still ways they could get Hemsworth back in without violating the time rules, though some of them are rather far fetched. The easiest way would be crosstime, the Prime George Kirk wasn't killed until 2246 in the Tarsus IV disaster for instance, and other versions could have lasted longer than that.

Also it is possible that after steering close enough that a miss was impossible he could have tried transporting off Kelvin but ran out of time and got stuck in the buffer or whatever and the device went unnoticed until "current" Kelvin time. Maybe Scotty gets ahold of it in a pile of salvage at a garage sale and tries using it for some experiment and accidentally materializes George K. or whatever. There are a lot of possibilities, and Kelvin stuff is not exactly serious science fiction to begin with.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    Hell, flashbacks and old log records could help. No real need for temporal travel. Probably wouldn't fit their original story, but then again it sounds like their story wasn't all that damn original anyway, so... :wink:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Well, Noah Hawley's Legion was certainly something else and I greatly enjoyed it. I wonder how much strangeness he'll be able to bring into Star Trek. I believe he also made the Fargo TV show. I still haven't checked that out.

I kinda wish they'd try at least once a a more typical Star Trek story instead of having the "save Earth/Federation" stories. Go for a smaller budget with less flashy effects, but a good script, good story-telling, good characterization. Of course, that isn't easy, either.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    yeah, over-dramatic writing is not connected to budget. Part of why I liked Insurrection is that it's mostly about the Baku.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > mustrumridcully0 said:
    > Well, Noah Hawley's Legion was certainly something else and I greatly enjoyed it. I wonder how much strangeness he'll be able to bring into Star Trek. I believe he also made the Fargo TV show. I still haven't checked that out.
    >
    > I kinda wish they'd try at least once a a more typical Star Trek story instead of having the "save Earth/Federation" stories. Go for a smaller budget with less flashy effects, but a good script, good story-telling, good characterization. Of course, that isn't easy, either.

Umm, "save Earth/the Federation" is the typical Star Trek film story, as seen in TMP, TVH, TUC, INS (more of a morally saving there), NEM.

Smaller budget does not and never will equal "better movie" . As well, plenty of people think the 3 Kelvin films had better writing, storhtelling, and characterization than all of TOS and the first 2 seasons of TNG combined.

The size of the budget never determines how good a movie is. Only good storytelling and writing can determine how good a movie is. There are numerous examples of expensive flops and inexpensive masterpieces. A smaller budget can force the creators of a movie to focus more on the writing and storytelling to compensate for their lack of a good CGI budget.
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > mustrumridcully0 said:
    > Well, Noah Hawley's Legion was certainly something else and I greatly enjoyed it. I wonder how much strangeness he'll be able to bring into Star Trek. I believe he also made the Fargo TV show. I still haven't checked that out.
    >
    > I kinda wish they'd try at least once a a more typical Star Trek story instead of having the "save Earth/Federation" stories. Go for a smaller budget with less flashy effects, but a good script, good story-telling, good characterization. Of course, that isn't easy, either.

Umm, "save Earth/the Federation" is the typical Star Trek film story, as seen in TMP, TVH, TUC, INS (more of a morally saving there), NEM.

Smaller budget does not and never will equal "better movie" . As well, plenty of people think the 3 Kelvin films had better writing, storhtelling, and characterization than all of TOS and the first 2 seasons of TNG combined.

The size of the budget never determines how good a movie is. Only good storytelling and writing can determine how good a movie is. There are numerous examples of expensive flops and inexpensive masterpieces. A smaller budget can force the creators of a movie to focus more on the writing and storytelling to compensate for their lack of a good CGI budget.

True, in fact one of the most popular of the Star Trek moves was both relatively small budget and was not "the one ship that can save the Federation" style: The Wrath of Khan.
  • Options
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > True, in fact one of the most popular of the Star Trek moves was both relatively small budget and was not "the one ship that can save the Federation" style: The Wrath of Khan.

Technically it did though. Khan had the Genesis device and it was implied it could be used as a weapon. If Kirk didn’t coax him into a fight who know what Khan would have done or as McCoy put it “Universal Armageddon”.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    khan5000 wrote: »
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > True, in fact one of the most popular of the Star Trek moves was both relatively small budget and was not "the one ship that can save the Federation" style: The Wrath of Khan.

Technically it did though. Khan had the Genesis device and it was implied it could be used as a weapon. If Kirk didn’t coax him into a fight who know what Khan would have done or as McCoy put it “Universal Armageddon”.

McCoy did tend to be a bit melodramatic. The genesis device was a bit faster at destroying worlds, but once you get down to it it was no more destructive than a cruiser carpetbombing a world with photon torpedoes (it would not take many to do that either).

The fact that one long range torpedo getting through would do the trick all on its own would make it a good terror weapon though, sort of like a Trek allegory to strategic nuclear weapons, but it probably would not have been some ultimate weapon in Klingon hands any more than it was in Tzenkethi hands later in STO. All in all, it was the same kind of story as "Balance of Terror" were they discouraged or prevented the use of a new and highly destructive weapon that may have encouraged the enemy to start a war had it not been circumvented.
  • Options
    Khan had the Genesis device and it was implied it could be used as a weapon. If Kirk didn’t coax him into a fight who know what Khan would have done or as McCoy put it “Universal Armageddon”.
    I have to agree with Phoenix on this one - Bones was being melodramatic, trying to get a reaction from Spock. The line in the novelization was a bit longer, probably because DeForest either couldn't remember to say the longer version or couldn't make himself without laughing at Nimoy's poker face.

SPOCK: Really, Doctor, you must learn to govern your passions. They will prove your undoing. Logic suggests--

McCOY: Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic! We're talking about Armageddon! Universal, candy-coated Armageddon!!

I mean, as Spock said earlier in that conversation, if it were used where life existed, it would destroy such life in favor of its new matrix. You'd need one warhead for each of the major planets in the Federation, and you could bring the entire thing to its alien equivalent of knees.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    I agree that he was being melodramatic but he’s kind of right. How long would it take Khan to replicate the genesis device and convert it into a weapon?
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    I agree that he was being melodramatic but he’s kind of right. How long would it take Khan to replicate the genesis device and convert it into a weapon?

Depends on how difficult it is to acquire protomatter in the 23rd Century. There are far more easier and cheaper methods to destroy a planet than a flawed terraforming device. The problem with the Genesis Device could have been due to it being used on a Nebula to create a planet and not terraforming an existing planet which is mentioned in the Genesis Wave novels.
  • Options
    It wasn't Khan that McCoy was worried about. He didn't know yet that Khan had escaped Ceti Alpha V. It was the fact that the device even existed.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    It wasn't Khan that McCoy was worried about. He didn't know yet that Khan had escaped Ceti Alpha V. It was the fact that the device even existed.

Agreed. While McCoy didn’t know about Khan escaping he was worried about the Genesis Device being used as a weapon, being in the wrong hands and if anyone was the right hands. Khan would have used it as a weapon. Even the Klingons in TVH saw the device as a weapon.
    So my original point still stands that they did sort of save the galaxy in WOK.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    Depends on how difficult it is to acquire protomatter in the 23rd Century. There are far more easier and cheaper methods to destroy a planet than a flawed terraforming device. The problem with the Genesis Device could have been due to it being used on a Nebula to create a planet and not terraforming an existing planet which is mentioned in the Genesis Wave novels.
    Yeah, Genesis as a one-use device is fantastically expensive. Realistically the best use is as the Klingon ambassador said. Take out as many defenses as you can from orbit and take out the populace with Genesis instead of enslaving or subjugating them. It's totally genocide, and faster than shooting everyone the old fashioned way. But a long range "tactical strike" using a single Genesis torpedo? Expensive and risky. It COULD work, but results can't be guaranteed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    https://youtu.be/IMIVezLiUyk

Interesting, but take it all with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    Yeah, Genesis as a one-use device is fantastically expensive. Realistically the best use is as the Klingon ambassador said. Take out as many defenses as you can from orbit and take out the populace with Genesis instead of enslaving or subjugating them. It's totally genocide, and faster than shooting everyone the old fashioned way. But a long range "tactical strike" using a single Genesis torpedo? Expensive and risky. It COULD work, but results can't be guaranteed.

If someone wants to take out a populace, then introducing a virus that wipes out the populace or something similar to a neutron bomb would be far more effective. The Genesis Device would be more useful for extremely alien races that want to remove the populace and terraform the world to their specifications. Personally, I dislike the word terraform when it doesn't deal with turning an alien world into something similar to Earth, but turning Earth or an alien world into a different type of alien world.
  • Options

If someone wants to take out a populace, then introducing a virus that wipes out the populace or something similar to a neutron bomb would be far more effective. The Genesis Device would be more useful for extremely alien races that want to remove the populace and terraform the world to their specifications. Personally, I dislike the word terraform when it doesn't deal with turning an alien world into something similar to Earth, but turning Earth or an alien world into a different type of alien world.
    Sure, you can introduce a virus - but that can then mutate and affect you. (There's a reason we avoid biowarfare in the real world.) And you can use something like neutron bombs, but there's still all that pesky ionizing radiation to deal with afterward. Even thalaron weapons leave piles of ash to sweep up.

Drop a Genesis Device, though, and not only is the planetary population eliminated and the mess cleaned up, but anything in the ecosystem that isn't right for you goes away. Planet's a little too heavy (or too light)? Atmosphere not quite right? Too many hostile animals/plants/combinations? No problem - we don't just cleanse the world of life, we replace that life with something more to our liking. It's like weaponizing Magrathea.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @valoreah said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Oh good grief. Another stupid video from that idiot.

So what I'm hearing is your a huge fan of mdnights edge 😜
  • Options

Sure, you can introduce a virus - but that can then mutate and affect you. (There's a reason we avoid biowarfare in the real world.) And you can use something like neutron bombs, but there's still all that pesky ionizing radiation to deal with afterward. Even thalaron weapons leave piles of ash to sweep up.

Drop a Genesis Device, though, and not only is the planetary population eliminated and the mess cleaned up, but anything in the ecosystem that isn't right for you goes away. Planet's a little too heavy (or too light)? Atmosphere not quite right? Too many hostile animals/plants/combinations? No problem - we don't just cleanse the world of life, we replace that life with something more to our liking. It's like weaponizing Magrathea.
    Part of why bioweapons are frowned on IRL is how no one's found a way to prevent it from killing both sides and random bystanders other than building an immunity with stuff like vaccinations.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

Part of why bioweapons are frowned on IRL is how no one's found a way to prevent it from killing both sides and random bystanders other than building an immunity with stuff like vaccinations.

Still, that is true of the genesis device as well, since there is no telling when the artificially created environment might go unstable and kill anyone who happens to be on the planet at the time with various radiations or bio-horrors, or even blow up the planet itself.
  • Options

An alien race with iron-based blood creating a virus that targets aliens with copper-based blood would certainly prevent the virus from killing both sides. So just because bioweapons used on humans have a very good chance of backfiring, doesn't mean the same can be said for using bioweapons on aliens.