test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Launch Crashes due to DirectX update

asha#5521 asha Member Posts: 53 Arc User
Upon investigation, and speaking with Techs, it has been discovered that DirectX 12 is the reason why the game won't launch.

Cryptic will have to make it compatible as they currently run DirectX 10 and, I believe, 11...

You can find out what version of DirectX you are using by going onto the search bar in windows and typing "Dxdiag"
Then run it as an administrator and once you get it up, the version of DirectX will be on the first page....

If you find that you are crashing, it is due to the recent Windows 10 DirectX updates between November 9,2019 and to date....

If you can, restore your computer to an EARLIAR point in time BEFORE this update and do NOT update windows 10 as little as possible......

I recommend, also, that you use Windows 7 or 8 as an O.S. until Cryptic has made Directx 12 compatible.

I have sent the info. to the sto support.

Thanks

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    DirectX 12 is not the issue. Running Win 10, 64-bit, myself (with all the latest updates), and DX12, of course, and my game runs just fine.

On the grapevine, I heard it's actually a matter of ppl running with Intel onboard GPU graphics, that broke. But our speculations are kinda pointless: I'm sure the Devs can do their own debugging.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    DirectX 12 is not the issue. Running Win 10, 64-bit, myself (with all the latest updates), and DX12, of course, and my game runs just fine.

Same here, although there are some noticeable graphics anomalies since the patch.
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    asha#5521 wrote: »
    Upon investigation, and speaking with Techs, it has been discovered that DirectX 12 is the reason why the game won't launch.

Cryptic will have to make it compatible as they currently run DirectX 10 and, I believe, 11...

You can find out what version of DirectX you are using by going onto the search bar in windows and typing "Dxdiag"
    Then run it as an administrator and once you get it up, the version of DirectX will be on the first page....

If you find that you are crashing, it is due to the recent Windows 10 DirectX updates between November 9,2019 and to date....

If you can, restore your computer to an EARLIAR point in time BEFORE this update and do NOT update windows 10 as little as possible......

I recommend, also, that you use Windows 7 or 8 as an O.S. until Cryptic has made Directx 12 compatible.

I have sent the info. to the sto support.

Thanks

As noted elsewhere. no, that is not the problem. Windows 7 and 8 users are also affected, myself included.
  • asha#5521 asha Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

On the grapevine, I heard it's actually a matter of ppl running with Intel onboard GPU graphics, that broke. But our speculations are kinda pointless: I'm sure the Devs can do their own debugging.

Yeah. Well I don't know what the issue is then.
    Am currently installing more updates, and a game master looked at my Diag and said to update my vid graphics card...
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    What video card you have?, what driver version?, if it is an iGPU, then yes, intel have serious problems with drivers, but Nvidia and AMD have no issues, i have no issues with any crash and i'm on windows 10 1909, and latest Nvidia drivers.
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    gaevsman wrote: »
    What video card you have?, what driver version?, if it is an iGPU, then yes, intel have serious problems with drivers, but Nvidia and AMD have no issues, i have no issues with any crash and i'm on windows 10 1909, and latest Nvidia drivers.

Intel(R) HD Graphics i3

I think I have it solved...
    I noticed that it states on the System Requirements it must be 64 bit....
    although windows 10 I have is 64 bit, the graphics card is 32 bit.

Updating now....hopefully that works.
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 338 Arc User

They removed 32 bit support months ago, as I recall. I didn't start having problems until last Tuesday. Don't think that's the issue.
  • captadammcaptadamm Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    has anyone tried a new video card?
  • jagertree#5736 jagertree Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited November 2019
    Just installed tonight and was crashing on launch, was running old video drivers (~3 months old). Updated to the latest nvidia drivers and it fixed everything. Now runs smooth.

i7-7700k
    2x EVGA 1080ti FTW3s (SLI)
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2019

Intel Integrated Graphics i3 is the on board graphics chip located on your Intel Core i3 CPU.

There is no version of the Intel i3 that is 32 bit, even if you go back to the 1st gen chip from 2010 that is a 64bit CPU and so is your GPU.

I think however, that you're on the right track looking at your graphics chip as the cause. Intel Integrated Graphics are very commonly problematic with a wide variety of games and gaming is not what the on board graphics are intended for. That's not to say they can't be made to work, they can.. but it's not always going to be easy.

Is your computer a laptop? Or is it a PC? If it's a PC with an open PCI Express Slot, you can easily install a video card to be used instead of your on board graphics. While Video Cards can be quite expensive, if Star Trek Online is your most demanding intended use, you can get away with a very low cost card that will greatly up your performance and compatibility.
    Insert witty signature line here.