test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please add more NPC cameos (like Shon, Franklin Drake and so on)

tharilion#8359 tharilion Member Posts: 9 Arc User
I personally would love to see more cameos of NPCs that we met earlier in the storylines such as Captain Shon, Commander Kurland and Franklin Drake (the section 31 guy).

Of course such as Commander Kurland is more or less bound to DS9 if there is a great war / fight coming up (such as the iconian war) it would make sense to include him. Unfortunately he wasn't part of the new DS9 story episodes. Maybe I am the only one liking him.

For Shon and the Enterprise I think it makes sense to see them more often - he could have easily replace the new Andorian captain in the new episode (beneath the skin). He only shows up in the story very late at the end of the fight and only if you do not kill the last enemies too fast and he has no impact on the story, no dialog, just helps in the battle (which is better than nothing of course). I hope we will see more of him and the Enterprise.

And Franklin Drake should not be so hard to include either.

Of course, no idea if the voice actors are still available but again, just my opinion that I like to see more of them in the future.

With one exception: I have enough of Sela for a lifetime - I don't want to see her again for a very long time.

How about you? Happy to leave the older NPCs behind or any favourites you like to see?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Could maybe use more of Shon and his kdf counterpart. Its funny out of all the flag ship captains we get to see the Romulan one the most in story missions and its nice we got both Shon and Koren with the latest update so I hope they do more of those. But there might be another reason why they have been using more of Tiara Jurok. Then the other Captains. The Sag thing/ Screen Actors Guild, I think the voice actoress for her might be a member possibly when looking that up. Not sure about the other two. But its likely that the ones that Voice Shon and Koren are not SAG Members and thus they might be limited in using them. So it might be that matter right there that hinders them from using more of Shon and Koren. So I think Cryptic will do what they can when it comes to the hero captains. But to use more of Shon might mean they might have to find a new voice actor for him. I'd imagine.
    Post edited by thevampinator on
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,328 Community Moderator
    The flagship captains: Shon, Koren, and Jarok, are most likely not used as often, because the game's storyline is supposed to be about you and your crew's adventures, not to be outshined by the Enterprise.

Their respective voice actors are all professional voice actors, so SAG cards are not the issue. Although, it is the issue with regard to Kurland. Our own Borticus did the voice for Kurland back when the game didn't require voice acting to have a SAG card. Bort does not have one. Therefore, no more Kurland, unless they use recycled audio like in "Midnight".

Franklin Drake, being Section 31, just needs that hook to be included in a mission. So, unless Section 31 is somehow involved, we probably won't see him again until then. But given Section 31's involvement in DSC S2 and its upcoming spin off show, there's definitely a possibility of seeing more of Drake in the future.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    tharilion#8359 tharilion Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    The flagship captains: Shon, Koren, and Jarok, are most likely not used as often, because the game's storyline is supposed to be about you and your crew's adventures, not to be outshined by the Enterprise.

In the earlier story lines we had quite a lot interaction with them and I don't think it takes away from the player character experience. We have a lot powerful enemies to fight and having Enterprise or the other captains to help like in the iconian war would just show how dangerous the situation is and it feels more epic.

And I think it is not too unreasonable to expect that even the Enterprise might need some help with dangerous situations now and then - I don't think Enterprise or the other flag ships are more powerful than the player character ship.

We do have often help - for example from Kuumaarke. Instead of using her all the time maybe sometimes they can use Shon or the other NPCs more often.

And I hope it is not just Shon for federation - my federation aligned Rom would like to see the Enterprise helping along too.

Their respective voice actors are all professional voice actors, so SAG cards are not the issue. Although, it is the issue with regard to Kurland. Our own Borticus did the voice for Kurland back when the game didn't require voice acting to have a SAG card. Bort does not have one. Therefore, no more Kurland, unless they use recycled audio like in "Midnight".

Thank you for the information - I didn't know that a SAG card is now mandatory. So they would need to use a different voice actor or Borticus need to get one but I guess if he is not doing regularly voice acting this is not an option. And using a different voice actor would not really be the same. Shame, I really like Kurland.

Franklin Drake, being Section 31, just needs that hook to be included in a mission. So, unless Section 31 is somehow involved, we probably won't see him again until then. But given Section 31's involvement in DSC S2 and its upcoming spin off show, there's definitely a possibility of seeing more of Drake in the future.

I am a little concerned they will just focus on the new characters and forget about him. Hopefully that is not the case. Actually, they could always add him by saying section 31 is investigating something and asks us to help. But instead of just being a quest giver I would love to have more interaction with him, like having him accompany us on a mission.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    I suppose they could be a "special guest star" for the episodes, though that should used sparingly.
    Are they all SAG members though since IIRC even now not all voice actors are SAG members, even fairly common names. US (or Canada) based voice actors that is, obviously the ones from my home country wouldn't have SAG membership as a rule of thumb (though they might have the membership to the finnish equilevant).
    It would be intresting if STO devs will try to explain the rather obvious contrast between s31 in DS9 and DSC.
  • Options
    I believe, due to using the celebrity voice actors we are getting more of now, it's required for them all to have a SAG card. I know this why Bort isn't voicing Kurland anymore.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Are they all SAG members though since IIRC even now not all voice actors are SAG members, even fairly common names. US (or Canada) based voice actors that is, obviously the ones from my home country wouldn't have SAG membership as a rule of thumb (though they might have the membership to the finnish equivalent).

That's the point, union membership. SAG probably allows brother/sister union membership for actors in other countries though that is a guess.

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Nevermind, missread
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Yeah, STO grossly mistreated voice actors so naturally they needed to unionize. [/sarcasm]

I'd like to see more of the STO original characters too, though. I've never really been a fan of the excessive reuse of actual ST actors. It makes it feel too much like STO can't do anything without reminding us of the shows instead of capturing its theme and story and working out something new. The whole union nonsense seems to make it worse.

Obviously STO has done a lot of original stuff, but often it feels very tethered to tying in the shows at every opportunity, as if nothing exists outside the established show canon and STO can bring brief mentions to life but can't do a whole lot new. Consider any episode where ST invented a new alien and maybe turned them into a major villain or something. They didn't exist in ST canon prior to that episode. They were made up and put into the show.

The Deferi and Lukari are probably one of the very few examples STO wholly invented (I think.) I liked meeting them because I had no idea what to expect and where their stories would go, though I was less fond of the storylines that felt compelled to bring in established stuff from Trek. Not to say they weren't enjoyable overall, but I'd really like to see STO branch out and grow on its own.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, STO grossly mistreated voice actors so naturally they needed to unionize. [/sarcasm]

Sigh. No, STO specifically had nothing to do with it.

SAG membership agreed that if a game wanted to use SAG actors (like, for example, all of the Trek cast), then that game needed to use SAG (or comparable union) actors for all of its voice acting.

The effects are to give the union more power to set terms, and to give more protection to the actors working on a game.

It wasn't just about money, but also protecting their voice. For example if an actor was doing a lot of screaming and yelling which stresses their vocal cords, they can set limits on how much of it to do in one day.

I've never read anything about Cryptic mistreating voice actors, but actors did talk about other game studios doing it.

I'm in favor of fair treatment for actors even if it does mean no more Kurland here.
  • Options
    duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    On a related note... I also liked how on some missions/patrols the Enterprise *might* show up to help. They need to make that more of a thing. Don't even need new voice acting. Just use the same one that's used now.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    (Political comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    (Political comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • Options
    Look, we're not going to have a debate about SAG and unions. SAG was only brought up because the OP specifically asked for more Kurland. It wasn't an invitation to discuss the good or ill of unions. Let's move on. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

SAG membership agreed that if a game wanted to use SAG actors (like, for example, all of the Trek cast), then that game needed to use SAG (or comparable union) actors for all of its voice acting.

The effects are to give the union more power to set terms, and to give more protection to the actors working on a game.

It wasn't just about money, but also protecting their voice. For example if an actor was doing a lot of screaming and yelling which stresses their vocal cords, they can set limits on how much of it to do in one day.

I've never read anything about Cryptic mistreating voice actors, but actors did talk about other game studios doing it.

I'm in favor of fair treatment for actors even if it does mean no more Kurland here.

I'm not in favor of unfair treatment either, but closed shops are complete BS. Its absurd that Cryptic can't use their in house talent because they hired someone else who is a professional actor. They have some good in house talent and them being denied work in their own game because they don't pay union dues is asinine.

I expect adults to be able to negotiate and protect themselves from overwork/abuse, and I think Cryptic is not the sort of employer that is going to be particularly abusive to a voice actor either, so it strikes me as a completely unnecessary arrangement that doesn't actually benefit anyone except the union.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2019

I'm not in favor of unfair treatment either, but closed shops are complete BS. Its absurd that Cryptic can't use their in house talent because they hired someone else who is a professional actor. They have some good in house talent and them being denied work in their own game because they don't pay union dues is asinine.

I expect adults to be able to negotiate and protect themselves from overwork/abuse, and I think Cryptic is not the sort of employer that is going to be particularly abusive to a voice actor either, so it strikes me as a completely unnecessary arrangement that doesn't actually benefit anyone except the union.

Speaking as somebody who's worked under an IBEW contract, you don't wear PPE -- you know, hard hat, gloves, safety glasses, reflector vest, and steel-toed boots -- because you expect to get hit in the head by random cr@p. You wear it because you don't expect it: the random cr@p isn't going to warn you ahead of time that it's going to hit you in the head.

Union membership is like PPE.

(And that's as far as I'm going to take this.)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    Ok, folks, I literally just said we're not debating unions, and it's taking the thread off track.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Like I said, I'm finished.

Personally, I just want Cryptic to stop retconning out their original characters and replacing them with TV show cameos. Especially when it turns out like replacing Rugan Skyl with Garak where his racist ranting in "Second Wave" and "Surface Tension" barely has a word changed.

You seriously could've just introduced Garak in a later mission and then said Skyl was finally fired for being a racist SOB.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I'm sure someone would probably say 'sacrelige' for this, and I'd feel sad for Bort, but maybe it'd be better for game if they had someone else (some low level SAG person) re-record Kurland's lines, so he could be brought back again?

And I will ABSOLUTELY agree about replacing Skyl with Garak. I've been complaining about that to friends for AGES. Flatly, the replacement rings hugely false. Garak isn't like that, and even if he were, he knows damned well that Kira would hang him by the privates if he said any of those things. ESPECIALLY the Second Wave one.​​
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    starswordc wrote: »
    Personally, I just want Cryptic to stop retconning out their original characters and replacing them with TV show cameos. Especially when it turns out like replacing Rugan Skyl with Garak where his racist ranting in "Second Wave" and "Surface Tension" barely has a word changed.

You seriously could've just introduced Garak in a later mission and then said Skyl was finally fired for being a racist SOB.

I agree with that specific case.

Other additions / replacements with the original cast have improved old episodes, but if they wanted to use Garak they needed to re-write the text to have him stay in character.

The writing for his cameos in a couple of the temporal blogs / logs was well done.
  • Options
    tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I'll agree with the idea of firing Skyl and replacing him for being a racist SOB as well, I'd actually laugh if they said that in game. Sadly, Skyl is actually in Garak's shop with the Cardassian contingent during the gamma quadrant arc. No lines, and is obviously underneath Garak now. They coulda made a nod to Skyl being considered too volatile and having to learn how to be a diplomat properly from an actual council member in Garak :p:)​​
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    I personally believe they should have left Rugan Skyl's lines alone and not replaced it with Garak's lines. They still need to clean up the overlapping VO in a lot of those missions in the Available arc as well as the ones that are Episodes in the Mission Journal.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I'm a little confused about something the OP said. He mentions a male Andorian captain in Beneath the Skin, but I remember a female Andorian Captain in that mission, and not just at the end, she is in most of the mission except the mycelial jaunt. So who is the OP talking about?

As for Shon, he shows up in at least 1 of the Mycelial patrols.

He's saying they could have used Shon for the entire episode instead of bringing him in at the very end.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Not disagreeing with you on that. Just clarifying what the OP was saying.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    I thought Kurland died and Kira is now DS9 CO. That seemed to be the unsaid but heavily implied turn of events.
This discussion has been closed.