test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Colony World Special Projects Unavailable

I've been looking out for the colony world special projects to return since the holding was first available but so far they haven't done so. This has seriously de-motivated me to progress my fleet's colony any further at this point as I would like to add the other services and options from the special projects. Has anyone seen any sort of event schedule indicating when these colony world special projects might return? There have been frequent returns of the special projects for the remainder of the fleet holdings but for some reason I have never seen the colony projects return since the initial period when the colony was first added to the game.

Comments

• Options
    If I recall correctly, old special projects were made available when a new holding arrived. As the colony is still the newest fleet holding, I don't expect the special projects for it to be available anytime soon.
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    Raysah@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    R'Miia@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog.

She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Captain Nog.
    [Emotes] She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072: Qapla', Captain Nog!
    She'Roars@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Captain Nog with respect.

Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 stands attentively for Nog.
    Yozit'yaza@sharmutashlikha#2072 salutes Nog.

• Options
    tevariontevarion Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    Thanks, I didn't realize that special projects only become available again once a new holding is created. Any idea why this is? It would seem strange to discourage players from investing into the newest fleet holding, especially given the massive dil sink that the special projects provide. I mean I am literally looking to dump dil into a decorative/social item (and therefore zen or dollar equivalent), why wouldn't Cryptic want me to be able to do this with the current fleet holding?
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,333 Community Moderator
    As it's been mentioned that a new Fleet Holding is not likely to be added, we probably just need to give them a heads up to turn those projects on for Fleets needing to get them done.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    Other than posting this topic in the general discussion forum, how else might we notify Cryptic of this? It's not a bug, nor is it a "feature", it's just an issue that they should probably change if they want players spending large amounts of dil on the Colony fleet projects.

Also, why are they not planning on adding any more fleet holdings? I understand the idea behind not increasing the level cap past 65 or gear cap past XV (as it just gives the impression of a meaningless sort of "progression"), but adding new fleet holdings every few seasons has been a core part of the game expansions since the game launched.
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    tevarion wrote: »
    Other than posting this topic in the general discussion forum, how else might we notify Cryptic of this? It's not a bug, nor is it a "feature", it's just an issue that they should probably change if they want players spending large amounts of dil on the Colony fleet projects.

Also, why are they not planning on adding any more fleet holdings? I understand the idea behind not increasing the level cap past 65 or gear cap past XV (as it just gives the impression of a meaningless sort of "progression"), but adding new fleet holdings every few seasons has been a core part of the game expansions since the game launched.

Most likely because of how draining the fleet colony holding is. It's like trying to raise a second starbase. And that itself is a heavy task to work on for smaller fleets. Rolling out another one of the same magnitude would be even more daunting, when those smaller fleets are still working on holdings.
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User

Fleets have been a core part of the game since launch in 2010, just like guilds in other games. The Fleet system, i.e. the holdings themselves, didn't start appearing in game until just before LoR's release in 2013.

As for adding more. If you think on it, it's possible for them to add more. If they do add another, I'd probably look for it to appear in the Gamma Quad. Since that's the only spot that doesn't have one currently. I was, and still am, expecting one to appear there at some point.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    Most likely because of how draining the fleet colony holding is. It's like trying to raise a second starbase. And that itself is a heavy task to work on for smaller fleets. Rolling out another one of the same magnitude would be even more daunting, when those smaller fleets are still working on holdings.

Though it wouldn't have to be the same magnitude, it could be a three-tiered like all the others, or even a different size.

Since we're not completed with our colony just yet, we can wait though ;)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    Other than posting this topic in the general discussion forum, how else might we notify Cryptic of this?

You could try reddit, twitter, facebook, if you do these.

• Options
    I'll let Kael know.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    trennan wrote: »
    Fleets have been a core part of the game since launch in 2010, just like guilds in other games. The Fleet system, i.e. the holdings themselves, didn't start appearing in game until just before LoR's release in 2013.

What I was getting at there was that some sort of fleet progression was always central to the game with each of the major expansions since it basically serves as "endgame" content (or at least endgame grind). The fleet holdings themselves might not have been present right from the start but they quickly became a core part of the game's development to a point that it's hard to imagine the game being meaningfully developed without adding at least a minor fleet holding every 2 years or so. If they're no longer developing the fleet holdings in some way then the game is sort of going into maintenance mode and the playerbase could drop off rather sharply if it looks like Cryptic isn't really putting in the effort to maintain the game.
    trennan wrote: »
    As for adding more. If you think on it, it's possible for them to add more. If they do add another, I'd probably look for it to appear in the Gamma Quad. Since that's the only spot that doesn't have one currently. I was, and still am, expecting one to appear there at some point.

I am sort of expecting something related to Discovery, given that it is the current Trek show on television, or even possibly something based on the Picard series when it is released, assuming they are going to add another holding at all. I don't see anything Gamma Quadrant related since VIL is already over and the push now seems to be cranking out as much Discovery stuff as they can.
  • Options
    I also suspect a big problem is that there really just isn't any more logical fleet holdings to add. I mean we have
    -A Starbase, in the Federation and Klingon styles, that serves as the hub of the fleet
    -A New Romulus Embassy, which is our Romulan connection
    -A Dilithium Mine, which is where the fleet get diltihum
    -A Colony World, where the fleet is helping establish a new colony on a planet
    -K13, which is another a starbase, but is more of our version of DS9, a starbase on the edge of explored space where the weird stuff is compared to the main starbase which is like our ESD.
    -The Spire, which is where we study the tech of the Dyson Spheres
    -The Fleet Research Lab, which is out Delta Quadrant allies connection
    Besides doing a Gamma Quadrant fleet holding to give us a Dominion/Hur'q/Fek'Ihri tech(which is what I suspect the one they mentioned as being on the book is) there's really not much more for them to do with the fleet holding idea. anything else would just end up being redundant with something we already have.

Well I certainly don't expect another Starbase or Colony sized holding, to be honest I don't think the player numbers are high enough to support the grind for either of those sized holdings any longer which is why Cryptic is realizing they can't do that again. I do think they could keep adding at least another 2-3 smaller fleet holdings if they really wanted over the next few years. My favourite idea would be a Vanguard-type starbase as a Discovery era fleet holding, technically that would overlap with TOS era and since they already have the main Starbase plus K-13 it would be quite unlikely that we'd see yet another starbase added. They could possibly set up a "research lab" type of starbase linked to the mycelial network or something, sort of like what they did with the spire and the dyson sphere, but again that's not likely. Still I think they could come up with more ideas if they wanted to, technically the new holdings might be a lot of dev "work" to develop but it's really the only "endgame" content we get from them. From what I've read the dil/zen/dollar sinks generated by the new holdilngs more than pay for the dev work since players are essentially dumping massive amounts of resources into the new holdings, which effectively generates revenue for Cryptic. I remember there being an issue of why the Colony holding was so large was in part because they hoped (or even expected) players to dump massive amounts of dil into the grind and sort of took it for granted that the playerbase could support it. I think it was an economic decision as much as anything else, i.e., they didn't get the player grind metrics they expected out of the Colony holding so somehow don't view them as "profitable" to develop as they used to be.
  • Options
    You could try reddit, twitter, facebook, if you do these.

I intentionally avoid all of those things, so I will leave that to someone who can actually tolerate social media.
  • Options
    Request sent. We'll see what happens.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options

Thanks! I've been wanting to add a bar to my colony for a while now so hopefully Cryptic will consider making the special projects available again.
  • Options

Thanks, BMR, much appreciated :)

• Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Can always try to expand on the current tri-tier fleet holdings. Add additional projects, more decorations to exterior or interior. Something to show moving forward as the timeline progresses.

It's been almost a month since making the request. Has anyone heard anything regarding this, even on a stream? It's pushing around 2 years since the projects were introduced in live. I don't recall it taking that long for the K-13 decorations to be reopened, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2019
    http://priorityonepodcast.com/po401/
    Around 46:30
    "I will put a caveat on the fact that fleet holdings are one of our most expensive in terms of dev man hours.
    The colony has done some good things for us, its taught us some lessons, I think it's even less likely that if we ever do another holding that it will ever be the size of the colony. So some of your players out there might be cheering over that statement."

Music to my ears. Other than that I'm speechless. :s

It really makes me happy that so many developer hours have been wasted to this total nonsense of a release.

What a great example of how much trouble could have been saved dev- as well as player sided with some minor communication in advance. Some sort of community manager would be helpful here too.

And yea lol no! “Players wanted to have a colony for years” is not cutting it as nobody asked for a holding that costs more than all the rest of the holdings in sum.

Cryptic at its finest. Big applause. Hope their metrics on gamewide colony progression of fleets has the shape of one big middle finger two years later. :D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    And yea lol no! “Players wanted to have a colony for years” is not cutting it as nobody asked for a holding that costs more than all the rest of the holdings in sum.
    Well
    A. The colony doesn't cost more them the other combined
    B. The colony got finished by many fleets ages ago
    The only ones really having trouble with it are the fleet who intentionally go against the purpose of fleets/guilds in MMOs, and try to do everything with just like 5-10 people.

If that would be the case cryptic would not have had any lesson to learn: A playerbase that can’t handle anything else but content that completes on its own certainly can’t handle guild contributions. So no need anymore to develope respective stuff. It's "dated".

No idea what you’re at with your 5-10 player thingy. In all 4 fleets I’m in we maxed out the colony with no more than that many players actively contributing. ;)
    animated.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Incorrect. Even if everyone completed the Colony World they could still learn from how long it took them depending on if they got it done faster, or slower, then they originally predicted it would take players. You can learn lessons from anything, froman epic failure to a massive success.

It’s really funny how obviously they bet on the wrong horse with the colony and even admit it in their blog/stream. :D

When the outcome is “it’s unlikely we do anything like it ever again” any quest for what else they could have learned here besides players not going for the content is only wishful thinking in the realm of making them look more clever than they are. So of no use.

Whatever, I’m glad I don’t care that much for as long as the outcome is we get no more holdings as *BAAAD* as the colony. ;)
    animated.gif
  • Options

Now, stop trying to derail the thread with your nonsense. This is about the colony special projects not being available.

I'm not, I'm trying to explain to you and the OP that we are not getting those projects because the content is "dated" and cryptic stoped to care because it was so un-successfull to begin with.

Not that we get anywhere anytime soon when you keep on deleting your own post. ;)
    animated.gif
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Going back to the OP's post: @baddmoonrizin, any news about this, by any chance?
    And maybe, in regards with the other holdings, too? There's always some fleet that missed those, after all.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    forcefield10forcefield10 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Has there been any word on this? I'm almost done my colony and want to do these projects.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,026 Community Moderator
    Far as I know... there aren't any?
    Also... NECROMANCY!
    @darkbladejk
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,716 Community Moderator
    they usually rerun stuff every so often so they will cycle around again eventually. for now, back to the netherworld with ye necromancy
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.