What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ten Forward Weekly 21.08.2019

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 10,222 Arc User
From our glorious counterparts on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/ctpaqq/ten_forward_weekly_21082019/
Ten Forward Weekly: New Patrol UI!
  • Guests: UI designer Jo Gianulus and senior content designer Jesse Heinig.
  • New event and UI announcements next week.
  • Events UI would move out of Reputation UI.
  • Events being reputation was a quickfix that stuck.
  • There'll be some rewards for overdoing events.
  • Joke-ish: streaming room have UPS, but it isn't connected.
  • New mushroom-y loading screen area.
  • There'll be patrol tab in PvE window.
  • There are sorting buttons:
  • All patrols.
  • Beta quadrant.
  • Delta quadrant.
  • There'll be small cooldown because devs want us to cycle trough different ones.
  • No "Random patrol" button at launch because they don't feel too sure about old patrols to allow players to get there randomly.
  • It's only supplemental, you can fly to old and new patrols trough sector space.
  • New patrols would have an icon on a map.
  • If received well, Cryptic would add new patrols to alpha and gamma quadrants and to old reputations, like "that's what happened while patrolling system during Iconican war".
  • Problem with "peaceful" things: enough players think that non-combat encounters are not rewarding. Cryptic is looking to rectify that.
  • (Thanks, commenters) There's also vulnerability to "Spam F till result" people.
  • In a few days there'll be announcement regarding romulan ships and allowing non-roms to fly them.
  • Mike would love to see previews for vanity shields too.
  • Something regarding that is in the works.
  • Current dev team size won't allow devoting time for creating ship interior customisation.
  • Mike wasn't able to answer why Paradox dread was left out while temp ships were updated.
  • Recruitment events are technical nightmare, so not soon. They want to rerun Temporal event, but feel unsure about both that and leaving people out.
  • Cooperative is likely to be new faction, but not soon.
  • Pet inventory tab is in works.
  • Setting to reduce space visual effects clutter is possible. He wanted to announce it last week when power went out.
  • Maybe there'll be general reduction of visual noise.
  • There was visit from CBS representative yesterday.

Images from the Livestream
1GIFkZD.png
UhXdmjN.png
DSO8aIj.png
wVyuLHV.png
aD0HWST.png
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    Thanks for doing this. Just to add though, the CBS rep was the guy who oversees the comics for Trek and a few others.

https://twitter.com/CaptainGeko/status/1164038196038008832
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    No idea why the Paradox was excluded?

Hm... I have my suspicions they probably just forgot it existed. To be fair there are so many ships nowadays it is probably hard to keep track of all of them, though they really do need to come back and give it the same treatment the other ships recieved.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    I think there should be an option to choose an updated version of the ship with the full temporal treatment. Maybe sacrifice Intel, it is a carrier so command makes sense. Temporal powers would really make it a lot more interesting to fly.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    everything seems very interesting, except 1 thing: In a few days there'll be announcement regarding romulan ships and allowing non-roms to fly them.

What's the use of keeping the romulan faction?

not sure about a cooperative faction, but wait & see.
  • Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    everything seems very interesting, except 1 thing: In a few days there'll be announcement regarding romulan ships and allowing non-roms to fly them.

I can see some ships after all it would be fair. Because it made no sense they get such a sweet deal to get all that klingon and federation technology and not have to technology exchange ships and technology of their own as a fair exchange trade? But I can see the most powerful Ship they basically have like the Scimitar vessels off limits. But other ships maybe allowed to be traded in exchange for what they have been getting .Since they are starting to recover enough to build ships of their own. Maybe even faster then the other two factions possibly. Romulan ships should be opened up because they kinda owe both the Federation and Klingon Empire for all the starships the two powers have given them plus all the technology. Without the two powers getting ships in return as a fair trade? I mean that is kinda unrealistic given how both sides would love to have that romulan tech I'd imagine. So I'm fine with Cryptic doing this.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    i'm not the fact that the 2 other factions get the rom ships. my main concern is the death of the rom faction. At the beginning, it is was an unique faction (you begin citizen etc). i'm not a fed player and if I choose the rom faction, it was because this faction was everything except like the federation. (this is why i have also a lot of kdf toons; the federation sucks :p )

btw, i personally prefer the kdf ships over the rom ships; those ships are badass.
  • Options
    lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    i'm not the fact that the 2 other factions get the rom ships. my main concern is the death of the rom faction. At the beginning, it is was an unique faction (you begin citizen etc). i'm not a fed player and if I choose the rom faction, it was because this faction was everything except like the federation. (this is why i have also a lot of kdf toons; the federation sucks :p )

btw, i personally prefer the kdf ships over the rom ships; those ships are badass.

I love the KDF ships the most too and by the way the reason to make romulan now will be to have all ship stations with a SRO boff
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    • There'll be some rewards for overdoing events.
    Who wants to bet that'll be accompanied by some kind of "can't keep spare tokens to skip the next one" -measure?
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    > @westx211 said:
    > I think there should be an option to choose an updated version of the ship with the full temporal treatment. Maybe sacrifice Intel, it is a carrier so command makes sense. Temporal powers would really make it a lot more interesting to fly.
    >
    >

I'd just as soon drop the command seat, since so many damaging science powers scale with auxiliary power level that having the ability to temporarily pump a lot more power is really good.

Therein lies the issue with the Paradox...if it was made full temporal spec, which other seat to drop? And would it be feasible to have multiple versions floating around? And would the alternate versions be separate items in the lobi store that we'd have to re-buy?
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

Romulans would still have their faction start and everything up until the Romulan Mystery arc as unique missions (Wasteland isn't exactly unique to them, but its part of their faction storyline). Only Romulan characters can play through these. Just like Klingon characters can play through their faction specific missions and Feds can play through their faction specific missions.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Same reason there was use in making it.

To play as a Romulan with a unique Romulan origin story.

Yep, sames as a TOS, Discovery or Jem'Hadar captain. Except our Romulan captains get a full course of unique episodes instead of just a handful.

Personally, I don't care if feddie bears and space vikings can fly warbirds. It doesn't take anything away from playing my Romulan captains.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    yes, they are probably the best, but there are too few of them (I mean only romulan). after a moment the rom toons become just fed pets. personally I don't care about the ships (most of the rom ships are not very good), but more rom exclusive content would be welcome. Missions concerning reconstruction, diplomacy, prevention of piracy in the systems lost by the Romulan Empire etc . A new cooperative faction ok, but they shouldn't forget the others.

can't wait to see the fed players (those who don't have rom toons) coming in the forum whining about the singularity :p
  • Options
    because it is just boring. who cares about kuumarke? or the discovery stuff? I can do all these missions with my 2 fed toons, why i would like to do the same missions with my rom or kdf toons when there is nothing special for them? (except for the rewards)

when i begun to play at this game, this was for the unique stories (rom and kdf), now i just play for the rewards because the content is just average (iconian episode huge lol), delta crapsing etc. like you said the rom missions are probably the best, because they involve only the romulans. when i play a faction, i just want to have the feeling of playing this faction. that's all.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    because it is just boring. who cares about kuumarke? or the discovery stuff?

I do.

The 'New Frontiers' Arc forward is some of the best missions in the game hands down. The previous arc 'Future Proof' was also quite enjoyable IMO.
    I can do all these missions with my 2 fed toons, why i would like to do the same missions with my rom or kdf toons when there is nothing special for them? (except for the rewards)

If you don't find them fun, you won't. But everyone has different taste so something you find enjoyable might be tedious to someone else. There is no way to please everyone.
    when i begun to play at this game, this was for the unique stories (rom and kdf), now i just play for the rewards because the content is just average (iconian episode huge lol), delta crapsing etc. like you said the rom missions are probably the best, because they involve only the romulans. when i play a faction, i just want to have the feeling of playing this faction. that's all.

Again, sorry you feel this way, but I have to think that the majority disagree. Delta Rising was unpopular, there is no denying that.. it's the one arc that to this day I still just hate. I am a big Voyager fan, I just didn't like the arc at all. I thought the Iconian one was better.. it was 'good but not great.' After that though, I think things really picked up and the story telling and mission design of all the more recent arcs have, in my opinion, been the best writing they have done since Legacy of Romulus.

Everyone's tastes are different. If you're not enjoying the newer stuff then obviously the game won't have the appeal to you that it has to someone who's enjoying it. Can't please everyone.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited August 2019

YES! THANK YOU! My Bank thanks you too because I got SOOOO many pets in my bank taking up space.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

YES! THANK YOU! My Bank thanks you too because I got SOOOO many pets in my bank taking up space.

Agreed. I don't have a bunch of pets, but mostly because I don't have a place to put them.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »

Agreed. I don't have a bunch of pets, but mostly because I don't have a place to put them.
    Same here. I'd like to collect pets, but not enough room and hiding them in the bank where they can't be used is kinda pointless.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »

Same here. I'd like to collect pets, but not enough room and hiding them in the bank where they can't be used is kinda pointless.

I couldn't agree more!
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User

Rom Republic characters and boffs have fantastic traits.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    maina wrote: »
    Thanks for doing this. Just to add though, the CBS rep was the guy who oversees the comics for Trek and a few others.

https://twitter.com/CaptainGeko/status/1164038196038008832

Would be nice if there was a comic based on STO, mind you Star Trek: Pickard may change a few things in the timeline for the game.

Anyways, I liked the AoY/temporal content, and considering there were changes in the timeline thanks to shenanigans at Romulus that has yet to be explored, for all we know, Star Trek: Pickard could have been one of those shows that was inadvertently affected by it.....
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    Thank god, I hate all the visual spam... I just want to see weapons firing, thats it.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    I prefer Romulans, and my first STO character was a Romulan which set the bar high in expectations for the other factions (something they do not always live up to).

For instance, calling a single race and only one unique story a faction just does not cut it for a lot of people, but on the other hand (aside from the no choice in character race nonsense the Dominion is saddled with) unique scenario content does not have to be all packed up at the beginning either and it is that big lump of single-faction content that seems to be the stumbling point.

Yes, it made sense to do it that with the Romulans because of the structure of the story itself, but for others it could also be done via envelope storytelling with either small unique insertions like the Installation 18 episode in the "Wasteland" arc or some minor lead-in and lead-out changes beyond just the usual questgiver popup being faction specific that (along with the scenario itself being something that fits that faction storyline but open to others too) would set the right feel for the faction in a continuing way with the dribble-out style that the DSC content was done in (which was good btw).

In the same vein, it would be good to have the "Spectres" arc be available early (like its original level thirty or thereabouts position) for the TOS characters, especially since it directly ties in with their origin story, instead of being stuck as a level 65 oddity like it is for the others.

It is a very good scenario besides the rough spot in the Bones section that kept bugging out (but seems to be fixed now), and the only source of additional TOS phasers for players who are not in fleets with fully functional K-13 facilities. In fact, those phasers, like the other rewards in the scenario, are pretty much useless at level 65 and could use some work if the scenario is played at that level.

Another possibility would be to have phasers crafted by TOS characters come out as Andorian blue style instead of generic orange TNG ones.

That new event system brings up the question of whether it will be a per character count or a per account count like the ship coupon was. It would be great if you could rotate characters through the events instead of using the same one every single day of the event.

With the current reputation-based individual count system I often feel like the event is an interruption to the game instead of part of it since I tend to play whatever character I am in the mood for in any particular session instead of a single main with mule alts like some others seem to do (most of the time when I switch characters in a session outside of event requirements it is for crafting things and other housekeeping stuff, usually in support of whatever character I am concentrating on that day).

This discussion has been closed.